Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding gender/breeding 0.40.23  (Read 1697 times)

KazumiPierce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding gender/breeding 0.40.23
« on: January 31, 2015, 12:44:06 am »

This is my first post, because it's the first problem I've been unable to find the answer to with the wiki and a drink.

In preparation for a challenge play I've been modding the raws (Using multiple backups and keeping a log of every change) to prevent myself from 'cheating' like I usually do. In this one I've decided to play off two ideas: Dwarves having extremely weird reproductive cycles, and an amazon society. I've been trying to do three things: Make all dwarves gay, make all dwarves female, and make female dwarves able to reproduce without males. The latter one isn't totally necessary, but I'd prefer dwarven society not to break down after a single generation!

I already succeeded in the first one quite simply by adding the [ORIENTATION] creature token to both the male and female dwarf castes and editing them. But both the second and third have me stumped. I don't know if removing the male caste from the dwarf raws would do it and testing all of my various theories with new worlds and new fortresses has proved tedious, so I figured asking the help of more experienced modders was a good idea.

And I have no idea where to start on the last one, or if it would even be possible, since from what I saw breeding seems to be part of the Male/Female creature token.

I know that with the new version people are still figuring things out and there might not even be answers to my questions, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent at Incompetency.
    • View Profile
Re: Modding gender/breeding 0.40.23
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 01:58:44 am »

I'm not too sure about the third one, but the second one can be achieved by removing the MALE caste. Do note that the lack of an ability to reproduce will make them very squishy in worldgen.
I do stuff, I guess

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 02:04:32 am »

I'm not too sure about the third one, but the second one can be achieved by removing the MALE caste. Do note that the lack of an ability to reproduce will make them very squishy in worldgen.
So squishy they will cease to exist after 180 years because that's the oldest a dwarf can live.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

KazumiPierce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 02:13:43 am »

Yeah, that's the worrisome part, I'd prefer if dwarves didn't die out as a species early on in worldgen. I usually start with very short history anyways, but I like to use a world for a very long time and watch it develop and it would be a shame to have a ticking clock on it like that.

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 04:13:58 am »

I'm not too sure about it, but this could possibly be solved by adding a self-targeting "suicide" interaction to the male caste of dwarves. This way, world-gen will have males for reproductive purposes, but they will kill themselves upon entering the map during play.
I do stuff, I guess

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 12:15:27 pm »

I'm not too sure about it, but this could possibly be solved by adding a self-targeting "suicide" interaction to the male caste of dwarves. This way, world-gen will have males for reproductive purposes, but they will kill themselves upon entering the map during play.
That will have the (potentially depending on your playstyle) problem of halving the amount of migrants you get, and also causing less migrants in the future because dwarves dying decreases the amount of migrants you get. Also you'd need more coffins, but that's probably not much of a problem. The problem of less migrants is though because if your dwarves can't have children the only way your population is growing is through migrants.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 01:27:19 pm »

Instead of killing themselves, you could make them turn into females.

KazumiPierce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 02:47:50 pm »

Would that even be possible, to have migrants all turn into females upon arriving on the map but still existing as males outside of your fortress so that dwarves don't go completely extinct after a single generation? I mean, it's not a perfect solution, but it's definitely the best one I've heard so far.

KazumiPierce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 03:31:44 pm »

Ran into a problem with that. Every time I remove or modify the dwarf MALE caste, worldgen can't get past placing civilizations before rejecting a world. It'll finish with everything, start placing civs, but as soon as it starts to try it rejects the world and starts over.

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 01:03:31 am »

Would that even be possible, to have migrants all turn into females upon arriving on the map but still existing as males outside of your fortress so that dwarves don't go completely extinct after a single generation? I mean, it's not a perfect solution, but it's definitely the best one I've heard so far.
It should be. If I remember correctly, the game does not check for interactions targeting self during world-gen.
I do stuff, I guess

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 01:29:35 am »

Making males absurdly rare (like, 1 in 10,000) seems to work just fine in preventing male dwarves from entering your fortress, while ensuring you have a steady supply of migrants.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 03:14:24 am »

It should be. If I remember correctly, the game does not check for interactions targeting self during world-gen.

Yes, exactly.
Even better, you can give males a constant secretion (perhaps from an internal bodypart) that triggers the transformation on contact.  This will have the same effect, and will trigger immediately upon entering the map (unlike self targeting interactions, which can take a while to activate.)