Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

Author Topic: Nobody Poops  (Read 40608 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nobody Poops
« on: January 31, 2015, 10:05:13 am »

They eat, drink, sleep, and I assume they shit in the larger human settlements, because the sewers are enormous. Do elves shit in the woods? The closest thing dwarves have to a sanitation system is any body of water they can get next to. But there's no consequence to neglecting waste management at higher population levels. Do they not shit?

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: Nobody Poops
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 10:22:45 am »

I think they just puke a lot instead.  Or they digest food so thoroughly that it's all turned into farts. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 10:41:49 am »

I think they just puke a lot instead.  Or they digest food so thoroughly that it's all turned into farts. 
So they have such an industrious digestive system, they only excrete reactive vapors?

That should be weaponized!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 11:02:04 am »

Urist McStupid cancels ****: interrupted by buzzard. (x100)
Urist McStupid has been found dead: bladder exploded.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 12:12:04 pm »

It's a permanent suggestion but Toady won't implement it because it might cause the game to be advertised in the wrong light. I understand his point of view but poop is such a huge part of managing a settlement, it's really a shame.

Enchiridion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 12:17:03 pm »

Urist has become a poop cleaner.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 12:33:14 pm »

It's a permanent suggestion but Toady won't implement it because it might cause the game to be advertised in the wrong light. I understand his point of view but poop is such a huge part of managing a settlement, it's really a shame.
Of course, intestines dragging behind you is all part of the fun, but forbid those feces!

There are enough euphemisms to refer to it, and most of the infrastructure required could include other kinds of wastes, to generalize it. But you can't overlook that the nitrates excreted by livestock make great fertilizer, and also make great explosives. Shit can be an asset if managed properly.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 12:58:47 pm »

SimCity has sewage systems tough.  There must be delicate ways to approach the issue. 

I would start by calling it "sewage".  Possibly divide it into different kinds like dwarf sewage, cow sewage, chicken sewage, etc. as cow sewage or bat sewage might be economically important as a fertilizer, while human (and I assume dwarf) sewage cannot be used for that task. 

It would be an interesting extra engineering challenging.  I figure it works kind of like a well, you channel a hole, build a latrine on top of it (out of porcelain of course) and the sewage collects at the bottom.  Lines may form if you don't have enough latrines.  From there, you can decide to just let it collect, let it fall into flowing water and be taken away, let it fall onto magma and turn into smoke or steam, or move it off to a stockpile somewhere and drop it or hurl it on invaders. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 01:55:46 pm »

I also think it should be in and the possibilities are quite fun.

As for fertilizer, a workaround would be to have animals pasture over fallow fields for a season. Then the poop would be implied.

There are many possibilities for poop, disease, sewers, goblins and all sorts of things but I think that's part of the problem. Dwarf fortress would reach new players with the reputation that you can build shit catapults, shit traps, shit rooms for bad citizens and when weather is implemented possibly even literal shit storms.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 02:30:23 pm »

I would start by calling it "sewage".  Possibly divide it into different kinds like dwarf sewage, cow sewage, chicken sewage, etc. as cow sewage or bat sewage might be economically important as a fertilizer, while human (and I assume dwarf) sewage cannot be used for that task.   

It's not sewage until it is being drained away by water.  Until then, human/dwarf poo would be "human/dwarf waste" (to use the modern term) or "night soil" (to be historical).  Animal poo is "manure" (especially when used as fertilizer) or "dung".
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 05:44:15 pm »

IMO the biggest loss is the engineering possibilities for sewer systems.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 08:41:15 pm by King Mir »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 06:07:23 pm »

Toady originally planned to include poop in the game - there are a couple of hardcoded materials called "filth", one a brown solid, the other a yellow liquid.
Presumably, he left them out because he didn't want DF to be known as "that game with the dwarves that crap everywhere".
Either way, the topic is a bit of a taboo. I can't see Toady adding poop mechanics any time soon.

IMO the biggest loss it the engineering possibilities for sewer systems.
This is definitely true, though. :P
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 07:39:03 pm »

IMO the biggest loss it the engineering possibilities for sewer systems.
This is definitely true, though. :P

Given that they would inevitably be used to drown sieges with sewage, that's not really a loss in my mind.

Having farm animals pastured over farm plots give increased fertility would definitely be neat though.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 11:43:07 pm »

Having farm animals pastured over farm plots give increased fertility would definitely be neat though.

There would have to be some kind of trade off for that though.  Like animals trample the crops or grazers either feed of the farm or starve.  You should have to collect the goods and process and distribute them correctly.  Taking a dump in a field is not the same as fertilizing it. 

If you were going to go through with it, harvesting guano might be a big industry, since it is or was insanely lucrative for humans. 

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 11:51:15 pm »

This comes up a lot, and is always dismissed, but yeah, sewers and fertilizer would be cool. However, we all know there would be crap-a-pults.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21