Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21

Author Topic: Nobody Poops  (Read 40420 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Nobody Poops
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 12:26:14 am »

Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2015, 03:04:28 am »

I used to think that "bath" is an appropriate ersatz. Then I noticed that dwarves take bath around the well they would drink from. In fact, that's probably why they insist on drinking booze.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2015, 06:04:40 am »

Having farm animals pastured over farm plots give increased fertility would definitely be neat though.

There would have to be some kind of trade off for that though.  Like animals trample the crops or grazers either feed of the farm or starve.  You should have to collect the goods and process and distribute them correctly.  Taking a dump in a field is not the same as fertilizing it. 

If you were going to go through with it, harvesting guano might be a big industry, since it is or was insanely lucrative for humans.

IIRC people have gotten rabies from inhaling bat guano dust.  Dwarves getting rabies would be pretty much the most amazing thing ever.  Talk about a slow and horrible death for your fort.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2015, 06:44:11 am »

While I was reading this topic...

The Forgotten Beast Asdosuthgur has come!  A towering humanoid composed of grime and filth.  It has a knobby shell and it has a gaunt appearance.  Beware its deadly spittle!

Asdosuthgur, Forgotten Beast
"The Bad Demon"
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2015, 11:11:36 am »

Yep, shit monsters are already in, and that's good enough for me. :P

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2015, 11:23:31 am »

I would welcome the logistical factors of waste disposal, but I do agree that eventually I would try to drown goblins in my sewers.

-What if instead of actual fecal matter or raw sewage the critters of the world produce another kind of accumulative waste?
For instead dwarves vomit quite a lot.  Make vomitoriums.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 11:25:53 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2015, 12:47:13 pm »

There have been some fairly lengthy suggestion threads about this already.
This thread and this one were two I remember having some interesting debate and less objectionable alternatives that still lead to similar outcomes (bit like how we have gelding without actual parts).

From one of those threads I'll quote a collection of things Toady has said on the subject:

Any, Toady already said he wasn't going to do it.

I don't know how this became the conventional wisdom, because (as far as I know) he's never made an unqualified statement that he wouldn't in any form implement feces, scat, waste, or night soil.  The game already has a brown "filth" material that, according to Toady, is feces (see quotes below).

Here's all the quotes I could dig up (note that this first one is from 2004, and that "no plans" is very different from "won't do it"):

There are no plans to add "night soil".  Dwarves poop little pebbles which seemlessly disappear into the cavern floor, or they collect them and cherish them or something.

Do dwarves have water closets? Will we need to carefully craft "flushing" mechanisms to carry the unmentionables away?

There is currently no potty.

4.  Manure, as a fertilizer.

4. They just drop it everywhere?  Everyone will might be doing it after a while... night soil, and so on.  But it's a dangerous door to open, especially if the room on the other side is full.  If a god turns you into a horse in adventure mode, would you suddenly start dropping the bomb?

From DF Talk:

Toady:   [...] I like the idea of being able to track things and find them, and pick up little kobold scats and dig around to see what they've been eating ... after a fashion, anyway.
Rainseeker:   So there's no poo creatures either?
Toady:   It was a close thing! Because it was literally a decision I had to make, going down this list, because in the Hidden Fun Stuff of course if you get the tentacle demons then you get a layer scattered with various filth on the ground; and there's brown filth and yellow filth and so on and it's not clearly stated but it's a material that I had to put in properties for right? So there's these hard-coded filth materials, and when I was going down the list, you know 'Do I want creatures made out of mud? Do I want creatures made out of vomit? Do I want creatures made out of glass?', there's all these hard-coded materials, and I was just like 'Yeah, yeah, yeah ... No ... No ...' on the filth. But there are creatures made out of the grime, and the grime material is the material that collects on your body slowly over time, and it's also the material that's used in swamp water, so there's this ... I just needed this material called 'grime' for these miscellaneous purposes, it's just crap, just stuff that collects over time and when a creature is made out of that it just says 'composed of grime and filth'. So if you want to call that 'poo' even though it's not it's possible for you to extend your imagination.
Toady:   [...] But the kind of thing that's on the table is gunpowder, and the materials that you need for that are already in the game, I think. We've got brimstone, which is sulphur, and I don't remember if we have saltpetre, if it's there or not, but ... I guess you could do all kinds of things with manure and urine to make it, or you can find it in a crystalline form in the ground perhaps.

And finally, sewers full of filth were a powergoal in the old dev item system:

# PowerGoal153, THE CRACKS OF DOOM, (Future): You flee into the sewer with the baron's ring, but sliding in the muck, you drop it. Try as you might, you cannot locate the precious object in the town's filth.

I would welcome the logistical factors of waste disposal, but I do agree that eventually I would try to drown goblins in my sewers.
The main reason I'm interested is because waste management would realistically be a problem for large settlements and additional infrastructure would make fort design more interesting.

-What if instead of actual fecal matter or raw sewage the critters of the world produce another kind of accumulative waste?
For instead dwarves vomit quite a lot.  Make vomitoriums.
One suggestion was to have more workshops produce a liquid waste or similar.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Burts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2015, 04:15:56 pm »

I do agree that this would be quite nice.

However, there are some reasons why you might not want to do this. First, it may attract the wrong kind of people very very quickly. Then it would also cause yet more FPS death.

And the main reason is that there are so so so many much much more interesting things that Toady can and wants to add to the game that will make it so much cooler than adding poop. It's not a bad feature but theres just much more important things to do i feel.

It's not like it would be hard to get rid of dwarf waste. Just designate the magma pit or a volcano as the toiler. Done.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2015, 09:14:26 pm »

Here's a crazy idea. Pipes make sense for other purposes as well so they should be added to the game.

Is it impossible to mod poop into the game? I know nothing about modding.

Mod a sort of throne to be a toilet, holes in the floor we have already, miasma and sydromes. Can't we combine all of these and mod dwarves to need to excrete as often as they need to eat and search for the nearest pooping zone?

That way there's the clean DF and for those of us who are immature or enjoy increased realism or both, there's the mod.

Urist McGoombaBrother

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust the plump helmet! ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2015, 11:48:28 pm »

Supporting the idea of dwarven sanitary. Especially pipes will be awesome. Also there needs to be bathrooms. So dwarfs can take their annual shower.

Is it impossible to mod poop into the game?

I don't know. But I fear everything related to game mechanics in general like making dwarfs or animals poop is hardcoded. But the df-hack scripts seem pretty powerful, I guess. So probably something can be done with those?

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2015, 12:16:30 am »

While cool in theory, the idea is too full of squick to be appreciably useful for a vareity of reasons.

Top of the list is that getting plumbing working already is a nightmare without flooding the fortress, trying to get it working when the possibility of cross contamination of disease ridden waste is another nightmare all together. It's a step too far in realism.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2015, 04:19:09 am »

While cool in theory, the idea is too full of squick to be appreciably useful for a vareity of reasons.

Top of the list is that getting plumbing working already is a nightmare without flooding the fortress, trying to get it working when the possibility of cross contamination of disease ridden waste is another nightmare all together. It's a step too far in realism.
That's... exactly the kind of realism DF needs. Unfortunately, sewer pipes aren't one of Toady's favourite ideas.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2015, 05:57:54 am »

Screw the combat.

We need to demand Chapter III:  Public Safety Inspect.  Its a whole new game then.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2015, 08:39:31 am »

But dedication to detailed simulation is what I love most about DF, plus DF is a simulation at heart...

That is why I think at least a basic "The Sims" level of toiletry needs is a must, and once you do basic simulation of toiletry needs then you might as well just simulate it in true DF depth with feces and urine and let the players do what players do best, sure they'll abuse the system and create sewage drowning traps but that's player choice and if you don't want too you don't have too...

plus it could be toggleable in the init files so if you don't like it turn it off altogether.  ;D
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2015, 09:05:20 am »

So many things in DF are already a nightmare, why not one more?

Fountains, troughs for the animals, sinks, not having to make wells everywhere you want water, aquarams, better control over waterfalls and obsidian farms. And regular farms aren't likely to be buildable over wet rock in the future, some irrigation system would be very cool.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21