Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21

Author Topic: Nobody Poops  (Read 40613 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Nobody Poops
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2015, 01:41:56 pm »

There were plans on the old dev pages to include pipe sections and on the new.
Bloat316, PIPE SECTIONS (Future), Square-filling pipes sections that you can place and walk inside and hook together over many tiles and fill with fluids and stuff.

Large pipe sections -- walk on them or crawl inside them, allow passage for fluids
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

g2knee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2015, 01:51:20 pm »

Toady originally planned to include poop in the game - there are a couple of hardcoded materials called "filth", one a brown solid, the other a yellow liquid.
Presumably, he left them out because he didn't want DF to be known as "that game with the dwarves that crap everywhere".
Either way, the topic is a bit of a taboo. I can't see Toady adding poop mechanics any time soon.

I've heard him say it's "not a direction he wants to game to go in."  Yet, sexual preferences are added for each dwarf....

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2015, 03:02:08 pm »

Not the act of sex or the preferences thereof, but rather more for partner selection in a relationship. Since love/relationships tend to be important parts in many stories (and DF is a fantasy story generator) while poop does not.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2015, 03:24:21 pm »

DF being a game where there are straight, gay and bi dwarves is much better publicity than DF being a game about coming up with clever ways to cover invading goblins in poop.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2015, 06:20:15 pm »

Toady originally planned to include poop in the game - there are a couple of hardcoded materials called "filth", one a brown solid, the other a yellow liquid.
Presumably, he left them out because he didn't want DF to be known as "that game with the dwarves that crap everywhere".
Either way, the topic is a bit of a taboo. I can't see Toady adding poop mechanics any time soon.
I've heard him say it's "not a direction he wants to game to go in."  Yet, sexual preferences are added for each dwarf....
Sewerage mechanics != relationships.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2015, 07:16:10 pm »

Dwarven sewers/toilets =  deep vertical shafts to the magma sea

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2015, 07:52:52 pm »

Dwarven sewers/toilets =  deep vertical shafts to the magma sea

I can already see a flaw in that design.

Furthermore, what about after the fact, the dwarf will want to wash his hands before he gets back to work. Can you imagine all the soap the average fort would go through in that case?  Does anyone really want to keep up with that sort of demand?

The consequences of Urist McCook failing to wash his hands before going back would be catastrophic, if not disgusting.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 08:01:41 pm by Blastbeard »
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2015, 09:59:51 pm »

The consequences of Urist McCook failing to wash his hands before going back would be catastrophic, if not disgusting.
Don't forget that alcohol is an antiseptic, and it makes dwarven cooking taste better.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2015, 10:12:26 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This actually sounds kinda cool. Fits the theme of inevitable doom to the fortress.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2015, 10:26:11 pm »

Don't forget that alcohol is an antiseptic, and it makes dwarven cooking taste better.

You are talking about modern washroom.

In DF universe, they can always use the well anyway. You can even have the cook hauling rotten corpses you know...
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2015, 10:28:48 pm »

What about a Syndrome/Plague/Curse that causes EXTREME Constipation?

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2015, 12:36:56 am »

Soap wouldn't be a problem, just turn soap into stacks. Forgotten beast soap (20) it costs 1 to wash your hands and clean wounds, 2 to bathe.

g2knee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2015, 12:14:23 pm »

DF being a game where there are straight, gay and bi dwarves is much better publicity than DF being a game about coming up with clever ways to cover invading goblins in poop.

This is highly debatable.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2015, 01:00:08 pm »

I don't mean publicity in terms of getting more people to play it, rather how Toady wants the game to be recognized.

King_of_Baboons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2015, 01:50:51 pm »

1)Many games like The Sims,Fable and Mass Effect 3 already allow the player to have gay characters in their playthroughs or allow the player itself to choose to have their character being gay.This means there is nothing wrong with DF having gay dwarfs.Maybe in the future adventurers could also either choose to be gay or not.

2)Even if Toady adds poop and urine in the game I doubt that he will make them useful.Probably the only interaction your dwarfs would have with it is to being able to clean them and nothing besides that.If a dwarf does get covered in excrement they will probably just get a bad thought and some extra description lines.

3)"Dwarf Fortress:a game where there are gay dwarfs" doesn't sound like bad reputation.The Sims received the same reputation and that made it even more popular.It would make DF a little more popular.DF can attract various kinds of gamers already:the kind that likes games with a lot of content,the ones that like to kill people in various ways in adv mode or the ones that likes crazy and large fantasy worlds with their own history.You just need to look at it in the right angle.
A medium-sized creature prone to madness and insanity.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21