Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21

Author Topic: Nobody Poops  (Read 40699 times)

g2knee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nobody Poops
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2015, 01:54:32 pm »

Good points, but I dont' think Toady's goal was ever to make the game better in terms of marketing and such.  I'm just saying, if we go into such detail over sexual/relationship preferences, it makes just as much (if not more) sense to go into more detail in terms of engineering and physical needs.

"Urist McPrissypants has been annoyed at not having his sanitation needs met"

I don't feel super strongly either way, but it's a good point.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 01:57:08 pm by g2knee »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2015, 03:02:51 pm »

The Sims got positive reception for that in 2000, mind.

Good points, but I dont' think Toady's goal was ever to make the game better in terms of marketing and such.  I'm just saying, if we go into such detail over sexual/relationship preferences, it makes just as much (if not more) sense to go into more detail in terms of engineering and physical needs.

Not really, since romance was in the game before orientation was while excretory and urinary faculties aren't.

mardouille

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2015, 01:44:57 pm »

Just because people are going to weaponize or abuse this by drowning goblins in poo doesn't mean it shouldn't be in the game. I would be just fine with just a poo zone and the cleaning labor that wash the floor once in a while. If you don't clean you get pooasmia and nauseous dwarfs. I agree that in a large fortress it should be important as it is in real life.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2015, 01:47:10 pm »

Let's keep it that way, eh?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2015, 01:51:34 pm »

I would love to assign a caste/profession lower than hauler.

Actually, I would make it a punishment for a crime if I could.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2015, 02:13:21 pm »

Personally I think sewage would be extremely !!fun!! and an excellent addition to DF, allowing both for better farming and for the inevitable weaponisation. If Toady is squeamish for some weird reason (he does it too, why would it disgust him?), then he should just make it possible for modders to add it.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2015, 03:12:33 pm »

Personally I think sewage would be extremely !!fun!! and an excellent addition to DF, allowing both for better farming and for the inevitable weaponisation. If Toady is squeamish for some weird reason (he does it too, why would it disgust him?), then he should just make it possible for modders to add it.

Because right now DF is "that really complex game that makes great stories" and he's worried that, with this addition, it'll become "that really complex game with piss and shit all over the place".

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2015, 05:57:07 pm »

Because right now DF is "that really complex game that makes great stories" and he's worried that, with this addition, it'll become "that really complex game with piss and shit all over the place".

You mean that's worse than mermaid farming, dwarven child care and shield babies ? Everything that needs to be found by moral guardians/ill-intentioned people to attack Dwarf Fortress is already in the game.

DF is simply ignored by these people because it is not mainstream. Also people do not pay for it.

I agree that it will probably bring some bad publicity, though, and there are more important things to do.

It WOULD be nice to use manure (both animal and dwarf) as a replacement for potash, though. Call it filth since it is already in the game ?

Edit: Now I am thinking of nest boxes and the LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS token... :O
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 05:59:40 pm by Naryar »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2015, 06:11:34 pm »

Well, Toady actually put in work to disincentivise mermaid farming so...
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2015, 06:20:47 pm »

Everybody excretes. Why is that more obscene than disgusting acts of violence? There is already blood and vomit everywhere in DF. Somehow they have not trashed the game's reputation. People did not complain about toilets in the Sims. All these fears are exaggerated; if anything was going to give DF a bad name, it is adventure mode and the chances it creates for horrible tortures at the hands of the player.

Comparing bodily functions that everybody does with animal (or mermaid) abuse is daft.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 06:22:28 pm by Urist Tilaturist »
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2015, 06:45:22 pm »

Tell that to the general public. Just don't mention how that one adventurer was so much worse.

Personally, I think sewerage mechanics would be great Fun.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2015, 07:36:01 pm »

You mean that's worse than mermaid farming, dwarven child care and shield babies ?

Player-created, player-created and unintended behavior.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2015, 08:05:26 pm »

You mean that's worse than mermaid farming, dwarven child care and shield babies ?

Player-created, player-created and unintended behavior.

Plus Toady changed bone values to stop the first and gutted the second with the newest release's changes.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2015, 11:55:18 am »

Tell that to the general public. Just don't mention how that one adventurer was so much worse.

Personally, I think sewerage mechanics would be great Fun.

Comparing everybody's normal bodily functions to Obok Meatgod and his violations of sexual decency is also just a little strange. Maybe we need a "shit offenders registry" if this tide of toilet political correctness goes too far.

I am very happy to tell the general public that excretion is normal. They all do it too. Any other attitude stinks (pun intended) of hypocrisy.

For old times' sake.

Malokin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2015, 12:43:37 pm »

I would just like to point out that the "moat" around actual real life castles were very often the open sewer of the people inside those castles.  In fact, you may actually be able to find real life historical examples of "sewage" being used as a weapon.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21