Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good tutorials etc for tilesets  (Read 834 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Good tutorials etc for tilesets
« on: January 31, 2015, 05:38:22 pm »

I have a friend wanting to make a tileset for me for my Dremora Citadel mod.  Are there any good tutorials on instructions out there?  What programs would work best?  I saw the wiki has the 'this symbol equals this thingy" listing but I can't find a thing on how to create non-ASCII graphics for civs, critters, etc.  Thanks in advance.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Good tutorials etc for tilesets
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 06:19:13 pm »

Creatures (except vermin) dont use tiles or tilesets. Best check the wiki for creature sprites or creature graphics. Its far easier than making tilesets.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good tutorials etc for tilesets
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 10:29:48 am »

The easiest way to create a tileset of graphics set, or to learn to create them, is to start by editing an existing one.  Information on the wiki is a bit sparce at the moment, but Tilesets doesn't need any raw changes (though more complex tilesets, like Phoebus, will make some) and the raws for Graphics Sets are fairly simple.

For programs, GraphicsGale and Aseprite work great.
GraphicsGale has a free version that lack animation tools, which you won't need.
Aseprite has some older versions available for free.
If you happen to have Photoshop, that also works very well.