Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Shadytrails (My Little Fortress)  (Read 39881 times)

Kryptid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadytrails (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2015, 01:12:31 am »

4th Hematite, 222

The mine was coming along rather nicely. A large chasm carved straight down into the earth, overarched by an assembly of wooden supports, gears and rope. Quite a nice piece of work by Rosewood. From the sturdy mechanism hung a series of large buckets, each filled with mined ore one after the other as the sole miner of the establishment lifted them to the surface. He rotated the crank on one of the axles with his front hooves as he sung a melody to nopony in particular, “Had to plate your trickster heart with gold! You’re warm on the outside...but your soul is biting cold! A mask to get you in the fold, cast your spell upon me!” His singing voice was just high enough to be that of a tenor, “Magic little secrets! Magic little threads! Got your magic little tendrils, inside everypony’s head! Won’t stop ‘til you get well-fed, cast your spell upon me!”

After raising the heavy bucket above ground, Silver turned another crank so that it was swung from over the maw of mine to a wagon waiting nearby. Once it was lower it down onto the transport, he couldn’t help but marvel at the the glistening facets of the silvery stone chunks. Many of them had natural cubic shapes interpenetrating each other. Some pieces were relatively pure ore, whereas others were blended with white quartz crystal. The bat-pony picked up one of the metallic gray stones and turned it in his hooves so that the Sun flashed off of its angled surfaces, “Ah, galena. Only appreciated for its metal content, not for its natural beauty. Such a shame.”

“Heh, do you talk to yourself often?” Fargo had been on patrol, walking between the places pony’s work, before choosing to stop upon nearing the mine and hearing Silver enjoying his most recent find. He was a few meters behind Silver, and was wearing his armor as usual.

The bat-pony’s fuzz-tipped ears swivelled backward, naturally followed by the turning of his head, “...Didn’t realize I had an audience...but yeah, I do talk to myself sometimes. Kind of a long-running habit of mine.” He drops the galena back into the bin, clanking against the other shards, “I believe Ms. Lands told me your name, Far…” a hoof is waved about in the air as his eyes seem to search for the invisible word in the sky, “...go? Fargo I think she said?”

The griffon couldn’t hide his annoyance when he heard Lucky’s name, but it the look on his face was gone after a moment. “Why yes, my name is indeed Fargo.” He was rather worried, as he didn’t know if Lucky had told him anything bad about him. “I’m not sure I know your name though, would you mind sharing?”

“Oh, yeah yeah, Silver Rush!” he stumbled with his words, realizing he had not introduced himself earlier. He extends a hoof to shake, “I’m the miner here at Shadytrails, but I hope I won’t be the only one for long. As much as I enjoy my position, it does get a bit stressful when you don’t have any professional help to share the burden with.” The gray stallion looks the large griffon over, “Can’t be hard to guess what your expertise is by your garb. A guard? A soldier? Or...perhaps a mercenary like your friend Ms. Lands?”

Fargo shook Silver’s hoof with his claw and smiled. “I am a guard, and I try my best to avoid mercenaries.” His smile turned into more of a frown before he spoke again. “And my relationship with lucky is-” He cut himself off for a moment as he tried to word it more correctly. “was purely professional. Anyways, I can see how such work would grow tiresome. How exactly do you manage out here all day doing such a job?” 

“Oh, it’s just that she called you a friend during our conversation earlier...” He turns back to look at the full cart, “As for my work, being a budding settlement with a small population does have some perks. There was an awful lot of work involved in actually getting the mine dug out and all of the equipment set up. That was the hard part. It hasn’t been so bad lately, though. When you only have one stonecrafter around, it’s possible to mine the stuff much faster than it can be put to use. So I’m ahead of schedule now and don’t have to rush, despite my name.” He grins at the pun, “I do use that extra time to help with other things around here when I can.”

“She did?” He tilted his head and frowned a little. “Oh great...” He tried his best not to seem too concerned by this. “Anyways, it must be nice being ahead on your work. When you're a guard you’re either on guard or on beak.” He raised an eyebrow. “Get it, on beak? eh?”

The pony notices the mild negative reaction but doesn’t say anything. Coupling that with his own experience of Lucky, he begins to wonder if she is indeed a bit of a mischievous one. Maybe it wasn’t anything too bad, “It is, actually. When I first started back home, I could never work fast enough. They were desperate to squeeze the very last pebbles of silver and lead out of those dying mines.” He smiles again at Fargo’s own joke, “Hehe, seems you’re a bit of a ‘punny’ one too.”

“Eh, sounds good that you left. It’s funny how foremen will make someone work harder and harder for less and less if given the chance.” He then looked back towards the meeting house/dormitory/dining room “But regardless, are you sure the risk was worth it, my friend?” 

“I suppose one could look at it that way, but those mines were the lifeblood of our town. I can’t really blame them for trying their best to keep the ore flowing,” he responds to the first statement. Silver pauses for a moment at the next concern the griffon raises, looking at the glowing white facets of reflected sunlight that paint the surface of the galena stones, “Worth the risk?” He taps one of the rocks a moment, “All things considered, yes, I do. I know things have started off slow around here, but that’s to be expected whenever one is trying something new. I try to be an optimist when I can. Hmm, but if all else fails, my parents said that they would accept me back into their house if Shadytrails collapsed. A rather humble option for a twenty-seven year-old stallion, I know. Not that I expect to have to make that ‘turn tail and run’ decision, mind you. I have yet to go hungry around here. That’s gotta be as good a sign as any.”

The griffon sighed, and kept looking at the single building. “Eh, optimism can be a very good thing, but.” He looked back at silver. “I would like you to know that it is very hard to walk away from a fire without getting burnt.” He smiled a little and looked back at the hole in the ground they called a mine. “But you’re still young. I spose’ you time to recover if this operation fell through, and there is no shame in getting help if you need it, regardless of your age. what matters is that you're trying not to need it.” 

The bat-pony stepped over to the next crank, preparing to lift the second batch of mineralogical goods to the surface. He talks as he turns, the effort apparent in his voice, “Well, I suppose, you could be right. I’ll keep, my eyes, open for, that kind of thing. I won’t wait, ‘til the last minute, to do something, about it.” Once that load too was added to the wagon, Silver proceeds to wrap the harness around himself in preparation to tow the ore over towards the masonry workspace, “I may be ahead of schedule, but I do still have a quota today. Maybe I’ll catch you a bit later, Mr. Fargo? We could always catch something at the dinner table tonight, right?”

Fargo nodded, “Eh, sorry for distracting you from your work, and I wouldn’t mind catching up then.” He said before starting to walk off, only to stop after making a few steps forward. “Also, please just call me Fargo. I prefer not to think I’m old enough for a twenty seven year old to call me mister.”

“Oh, that’s just a formality I use whenever I meet somepony new. Fargo it is then.” He waves off the soldier’s concerns with a hoof, “Don’t worry about holding me up. I just wanted to finish my work early today so I would have a chance to go hiking later while the Sun is still out.”

“Heh, alright. It is nasty when it gets dark out.” He said before starting to walk off again. He’d spent too long here anyways, he was supposed to be on patrol. If he kept somewhere too long something could happen where he wasn’t checking.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 03:58:24 pm by Kryptid »

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2015, 02:58:01 pm »

The following scene is from way back in the timeline, about Granite 19th, 222 give or take a day. It was on my to do list, but scheduling it with the other player was a bit tricky. The scene is in the spoiler, Patina's newest journal entries are below that.

23rd Slate, 222

The last few days have been rather fun. Been talking with Mistress Isolde about how to organize the town as we expand. We've got this big hill and a slope leading to the river. Mistress Isolde wants to build the housing at the bottom of the hill, so that the rising smoke from my (and later other ponies') furnaces carries the ash and stuff up and away from where we live. That's not a bad idea, but I was a bit concerned that that might cause a lot of damage to ponies' houses if the river ever floods. I think we've settled on building on the far side of the hill from the river for now. If major flooding ever looks like it might be an issue we'll have to figure something else out though.

I heard some griffons suggest building houses in the trees! A crazy plan. The trees will grow, breaking things, or die and fall over. It could be done, but it would hardly be a permanent structure. If Mistress Isolde says anything about it to me, I'll advise against it.

I was thinking that a watchtower on the hill might be a good idea though. Someplace for Shooting Star (and the rest of the guards) to rest from flying while still being able to keep an eye on everything.

10th Felsite, 222

Stone glorious stone! Silver Rush struck solid rock today. Finally, I'll have something work with. I had a look at the sample he brought up. I think I can turn it into gears for the sawmill that won't break or slip or wear down too fast. Then when that's done, I'll need a funace to work at. A place to make charcoal of course. Will I need a different furnace for glass blowing? I don't know. We'll need a different one for pottery though, since we have all this clay. Wish we had someone who knew about that though, I'll just be guessing. Oh so much work to do.

16th Felsite, 222

And Silver Rush lives up to his name! Shadytrails has struck SILVER. Well, galena an ore containing mostly lead, but also enough silver to get excited all the same. As soon as this bloody sawmill is finished I'm going to start smelting. I can't wait to start crafting again... oh, but I'm so out of practice... I haven't been near a forge in a year. I'll start with some projects in lead before I touch the silver bars I think. Maybe a lead figure for Mistress Isolde to use as a paper weight.

1st Hematite, 222

A bunch of new arrivals today. Two more griffons and a bunch of ponies. 

2nd Hematite, 222

Had a chat with one of the new arrivals. A unicorn mare named Lucky Lands. She seems nice.

3rd Hematite, 222

Journal... we may have a problem. One of the new arrivals, Lattice Frame, somepony said she was an architect. There is barely enough work to justify one architect here in this town, let alone two. I don't know how experienced she is... but if she is, what if she figures out I'm a fraud? I can do this job, but, I can't let anypony know this is the first real work I've ever done. If Mistress Isolde finds out, she might kick me out into the wilderness, or have my tongue cut out for lying to her, or worse.

I need to go lie down, I feel sick.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 09:20:44 am by KingStrongbeard »

Personal Gamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Fanfiction editor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2015, 05:11:54 pm »

3rd Hematite, 222

Journal... we may have a problem. One of the new arrivals, Lattice Frame, somepony said she was an architect. There is barely enough work to justify one architect here in this town, let alone two. I don't know how experienced she is... but if she is, what if she figures out I'm a fraud? I can do this job, but, I can't let anypony know this is the first real work I've ever done. If Mistress Isolde finds out, she might kick me out into the wilderness, or have my tongue cut out for lying to her, or worse.

She's actually supposed to be a tailor who takes well to masonry and architecture.* She earned her cutie mark after building and weaving on a frame for it, but it was just assumed that the cutie mark meant tailoring instead of construction.  ;D Since there's things to be built and no cloth whatsoever, she gets assigned to help with masonry (she'd be above average at it to start with but nothing past amatuer, really -- I don't know if I could play someone without any knowledge of the field terribly well).

It's nice to see somepony mention flooding, though. Which will require special construction for the bridge. Or just two stone piers on either side and a more easily replaced bridge deck. Not that it'd exist as such outside of roleplaying.

*As of this post I asked telgin to fix it as mentioned in the listings to avoid confusion. The backstory is already put up, and I rather like it -- it's more interesting than just an architect.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 08:44:59 pm by Personal Gamer »
It's not roleplaying if you do it as yourself.
Engineers have an instinctive need to prove their ability to others, regardless of their mutual competence in the field.

Personal Gamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Fanfiction editor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2015, 10:09:11 pm »

Lattice’s Diary, 13th Slate, 222

Buckington finally disappeared over the horizon behind us as we traveled today; and already I feel better. As they say, “Out of sight, out of mind” and it holds true here. Otherwise most of the caravan has ignored me with the exception of necessary conversation like the route of travel and supply management. Unfortunately, one of the guards ‒ a unicorn mare named Lucky Lands ‒ has been … unpleasant to be around. I understand that my first impression back in Buckington wasn’t the best since I spent the whole time worrying and looking over my shoulder, but it’s not like I’m going to kill her as she sleeps or anything to remotely justify how she’s just oozing passive hostility. It could be worse, if the attitude she holds for her armor-bearer is anything to go off of. Is she oblivious to or just uncaring of the angry glares she gets from him? I hope she doesn’t accompany the group to Shadytrails, at least if she doesn’t shape up her attitude.

Tomorrow we’re going to pass through the Hooved Mountains, after which we’ll be arriving at a town.

Lattice’s Diary, 17th Slate, 222

It was a welcome change to be able to sleep on an actual bed. It wasn’t up to par with what I was used to, but it was leagues better than a tent outside. Lucky Lands is still being an insufferable companion, and while she’s a little better now, it’s not a significant improvement. So far, I do what I can to avoid her, but there’s only so much place to stand in the caravan. I wouldn't mind a pair of wings sprouting, the sky's got plenty of room.

Lattice’s Diary, 23rd Slate, 222

We arrived at a sleepy little hamlet called “Farmville”. Which is a stupid name for it, since they don’t grow a lot of food. At all. They do export a good amount of wood, though, if the cleared forests are any indication. It’d have been nice if some of it went to use in building an inn, since all they had was a (barely) sheltered pavilion. I guess it’s better than nothing. I pitched my tent away from Lucky’s. I wanted to see if I could get some time without being bombarded by disdain. A mare can dream, right?

Lattice’s Diary, 1st Felsite, 222

The start of my first full month since I left. It's been frustrating dealing with the passive hostility Lucky is far too willing to display, but it's still preferable to having stayed in Buckington. Otherwise, things are looking good. I also overheard that Lucky is contracted primarily by Coupledye, and is just traveling with them for mutual convenience until she reaches her destination. It's good to know she isn't headed to the Cloverbuck outpost.

Lattice’s Diary, 6th Felsite, 222

The caravan master said we’d be arriving in Glennsdale tomorrow, and that it was the final stop with them for any headed to the newly-named Shadytrails. Much to my dismay, Lucky Lands was accompanying, as was her servant. We were told that we were probably going to be the first to reach the rendezvous and that we would be leaving for Shadytrails on the 15th of Felsite. I guess the three of us were the only non-local ponies going, since there’s just over a week allowing for them to arrive. I just hope there’s a place to stay ‒ away from that insufferable clod pretending to be a mercenary ‒ I’m beyond sick of my tent. I may have worked hard on it and would claim it to be one of the highest quality, but you can’t argue with a bed. It’s not like I’ll need a lot of bits in a newly-established outpost.

I’m surprised they need a seamstress, but I guess it’s important since it’s so cold. When a reputable seamstress offers services and simply wants to be “far from here” as the sole condition, it makes sense, even if I won’t be needed too much for making clothes for everyponybody.

Lattice’s Diary, 7th Felsite, 222

I can’t believe what just happened. The inn I’d been looking forwards too just turned from a dream to a nightmare, when the innkeeper tried to bed me ‒ even though I’d paid in full for the night, he still did it. Nothing happened this time since I pulled my knife out, but I opted to get a refund and sleep outside. At least it’s away from that damn guardsmare… She would probably laugh at me if she knew, too. Lucky probably saw the aftermath of what happened and the hasty exit on my part, and how the innkeeper gave me a refund greater than what I paid to save his reputation.  I guess seeing a mare pull a knife‒-

[The writing abruptly stops here and is resumed later, with a slight trail of ink running from the last word.]

I dropped my diary when I heard hoofsteps approaching. Thinking he was coming back to me, I pulled my knife and readied myself to leap. It wasn’t a stallion, but it wasn’t much better either. Lucky Lands poked her head in my tent and found a knife at it the same moment. She’s evidently not respectful enough to knock or something. Anyways, she asked about what happened, and she might just have a soul. Might. After it became clear she wouldn’t let it go, I eventually told her what happened back in Buckington, and she was seemingly sated by it. It would have been nice to get some emotional support, but considering the pony in question, the lack of it is entirely unsurprising.
            ...It would still be nice, though...

I might edit in a RP of the above scene, which is why I cut it off here. Otherwise, there's just one more cluster until we catch up to real-time. Excluding the hidden backstory.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:45:34 pm by Personal Gamer »
Engineers have an instinctive need to prove their ability to others, regardless of their mutual competence in the field.

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2015, 07:55:21 am »

3rd Hematite, 222

She's actually supposed to be a tailor who takes well to masonry and architecture.* She earned her cutie mark after building and weaving on a frame for it, but it was just assumed that the cutie mark meant tailoring instead of construction.  ;D Since there's things to be built and no cloth whatsoever, she gets assigned to help with masonry (she'd be above average at it to start with but nothing past amatuer, really -- I don't know if I could play someone without any knowledge of the field terribly well).

It's nice to see somepony mention flooding, though. Which will require special construction for the bridge. Or just two stone piers on either side and a more easily replaced bridge deck. Not that it'd exist as such outside of roleplaying.

*As of this post I asked telgin to fix it as mentioned in the listings to avoid confusion. The backstory is already put up, and I rather like it -- it's more interesting than just an architect.

Ah, I see. Yes. I was confused, I hadn't seen any mention of her being an architect in your posts, but Isolde's Journal update had (and at time of writing this, still does have) her listed as an architect.

An earth pony mare architect named Lattice Frame

I could change my journal, but I prefer to leave it. Patina will just be wrong. It is completely in her character to freak out over nothing, and so, I will just assume some unnamed character was mistaken, or she misheard somepony say something else and filled in the blank. She will probably try and double her efforts for a day or two, trying to establish herself as the "dominate architect," until she realizes she was mistaken and relaxes. I will reference her realizing the mistake in the next series of journal entries, whenever those are made.

Personal Gamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Fanfiction editor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2015, 03:45:53 pm »

3rd Hematite, 222

Ah, I see. Yes. I was confused, I hadn't seen any mention of her being an architect in your posts, but Isolde's Journal update had (and at time of writing this, still does have) her listed as an architect.

An earth pony mare architect named Lattice Frame

He's fixing it. It was originally a seamstress, and I made the backstory accordingly.

I could change my journal, but I prefer to leave it. Patina will just be wrong. It is completely in her character to freak out over nothing, and so, I will just assume some unnamed character was mistaken, or she misheard somepony say something else and filled in the blank. She will probably try and double her efforts for a day or two, trying to establish herself as the "dominate architect," until she realizes she was mistaken and relaxes. I will reference her realizing the mistake in the next series of journal entries, whenever those are made.
I sense a RP in our future. I also sense many more after that, too. I'm guessing that she's not well prepared for winter designing (or for water), so that might be somewhere Lattice Frame equals her since she's lived in the climate for her whole life.  Or at least something colder and wetter than a desert.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 04:29:39 pm by Personal Gamer »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2015, 04:20:52 pm »

Sorry to double-post, but I think I can at least partially answer the question, Exodius, until Telgin is back on.

Time for requests I guess, if it is all the same for you, and if you do not mind another question, as I sadly have no time/patience/eyes to read through, how much? 100+ pages of backstory?

Funny enough, that's probably a huge understatement. I think Duskfields was 20 forum pages or so, but with each one having many, many pages of text. One of them over 30, IIRC. Then Dawnpick was the same way but with 300 pages... And if you included Glitterglen too in that, well, you would be reading for a very long time. :P

How are alicorns treated?

Dawnpick had two people with alicorn characters, but as of Duskfields (the last fortress in this setting) they were no longer in the mod as migrants or available to be claimed (but still did and do exist in the canon). In Shadytrails, I'm fairly sure that's still the case.

Convalescence pretty much hit the nail on the head.  If you want to involve alicorns in your backstory, that's doable, but we do try to minimize references to them in general.  In the backstory, they're mostly just extremely rare and are particularly large ponies with both wings and a horn.  If they're naturally better at magic or not is something I haven't defined, but I'm inclined to say no.

Quote from: Personal Gamer
He's fixing it. It was originally a seamstress, and I made the backstory accordingly.

Just fixed it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2015, 10:25:37 pm »

Spoiler: Proposed Backstory (click to show/hide)

Not the most complex backstory if you ask me, but should establish few things about a character and what role I want him/her to play... yes, I am fine with either gender, although I am a horrible writer, worse yet when it comes to writing female characters so choose that at your peril.

As to the Mod in the OP thing.. that would be lovely, I did not manage to get the more outlandish MLP mods to work, but if you have one pre-installed I guess I should be able to enjoy that.

And indeed I meant how much player input you are willing to take in... Sorry, English is my second language, and I am as eloquent as a run over hedgehog, and half as charismatic, if you can believe that^^

Sorry to double-post, but I think I can at least partially answer the question, Exodius, until Telgin is back on.

Time for requests I guess, if it is all the same for you, and if you do not mind another question, as I sadly have no time/patience/eyes to read through, how much? 100+ pages of backstory?

Funny enough, that's probably a huge understatement. I think Duskfields was 20 forum pages or so, but with each one having many, many pages of text. One of them over 30, IIRC. Then Dawnpick was the same way but with 300 pages... And if you included Glitterglen too in that, well, you would be reading for a very long time. :P

How are alicorns treated?

Dawnpick had two people with alicorn characters, but as of Duskfields (the last fortress in this setting) they were no longer in the mod as migrants or available to be claimed (but still did and do exist in the canon). In Shadytrails, I'm fairly sure that's still the case.

Convalescence pretty much hit the nail on the head.  If you want to involve alicorns in your backstory, that's doable, but we do try to minimize references to them in general.  In the backstory, they're mostly just extremely rare and are particularly large ponies with both wings and a horn.  If they're naturally better at magic or not is something I haven't defined, but I'm inclined to say no.

Well, I guess you missed that, or took the advice from my previous posts and ignored me^^

But very well, let me readjust that little non-specific backstory... and I would rather involve alicorns in this as little as possible as well, meaning just this once^^

If this does not work I will think of some way to not include them at all... Sorry, I am writing it at 3am-.-
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:27:52 pm by exodius1 »
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.

Kryptid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2015, 12:04:00 am »

The relative shortage of working hooves around Shadytrails saw to it that everypony helped with tasks that were outside their main line of expertise. Silver Rush was no exception. Although mining was its own reward for him, he had no problems pitching in when others needed some aid with their own chores and responsibilities. Today held one such occasion for him as he pulled a cart laden with freshly-cut timber over to the area designated for carpentry projects. The wheels rattled on the uneven ground as he drew closer to the fuchsia unicorn, “Hey Rose! I got the load you requested! Where do you want me to leave it at?”

Rosewood glanced up at the bat-pony, hammer suspended in mid-air spinning and turning this way and that. “Hey, Silver. Umm…” She glanced around then pointed to an empty area the right size. “Over there’ll be good, thanks.”

An ear twitched on the bat-pony’s head in response to her glum reply, “Alright then.” He towed the cart over to the side of a work bench and parked it there, loosening himself from the harness that attached him to his trailer. He then took a few steps closer to the mare, asking her plainly, “You don’t seem your usual spunky self today. Got your mind on something?”

She moved her head in a motion that could be taken either way, looking back to the floating hammer which continued to spin back and forth. “Guess so, but who hasn’t? It’s silly, nothing t’worry about, I should think.” She turned to the pile of wood and brought the hammer over, summoning a piece of parchment from near the workbench. “Now, what’s next on the list...?” She muttered, though it was obvious her thoughts weren’t on her skills.

“You sure about that? Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to prod into private matters if this is something you’re uncomfortable discussing. Still, I’d like to help my friends when I can. I’ve got a good set of listeners on me if you need to get something off your chest.” The stallion fluttered both of his tufted ears when he spoke that last sentence.

The unicorn couldn’t help a small smile. “I don’t doubt that, sir.” She lowered the hammer and the list, staring off into the distance. “I still think it’s silly, seeing how - as I said - everypony’s probably feeling like this, but… I guess I’m just a lil’ homesick.”

“Oh there’s no need to call me ‘sir’, I doubt I’m that much older than you,” Silver chuckles as he goes over to sit down beside the carpenter, understanding now what her plight was, “Ah, yeah, we all get bitten by that bug every now and then. I’m guessing you left family and friends behind when you decided to tag along with the rest of us, yeah?”

Rose nodded. “Yeah. Not that I haven’t been enjoyin’ it here! Maybe I’d like a lil’ more contact with them, but I know that can’t be helped. I don’t mean t’be complainin’.”

“Just stick it out a little longer. We should get a postal system set up here eventually. Then you can send letters back home about just how much fun you’ve been having.” The miner smiled, “For what it’s worth, I’ll do what I can to make this a warmer, friendlier place. Nothing helps with homesickness like having new friends.” He patted her on the shoulder.

She smiled and looked back at him. “Thanks. I’ve got quite a few stored up ready to post.” She glanced around at all the wood. “That’s a good load, thanks again.”

“You’re quite welcome. You’re quite the busy pony, so I help when I can. Especially if you’ve got emotional baggage weighing you down.” The fanged equine debated something in his mind, but finally decided to go through. He draped a membranous wing around the spikey-haired mare’s back, “Think a hug will make you feel better? I apologize if you’d rather not.”

She smiled and leaned into the embrace. “No, I’m fine with hugs. They’re usually the best medicine for blues.” She sighed again, then her ears perked as though she’d had a sudden thought. “Oh, anything of inspiration in the mines today?”

Silver felt a well of satisfaction when she reacted positively, “I’d say so. There’s definitely something poetic about that place. The way the orange light from the lanterns flickers off of the glittering quartzite in the walls. The echoes of water droplets dancing across the stony floor after falling from the dew-covering ceiling. The ephemeral, shattered sparks given off when that cold steel pick finds purchase in a vein of metallic ore…”

Rose’s eyes had grown wider and wider with every word as the images passed through her mind, ears focused on his voice. Sure, she was more of a carpenter at heart, but writing had captivated her too. “Sounds beautiful… I’m curious t’see that now…”

“When your break comes up, I can show you around inside. Don’t think you’ve been there since you installed the staircase. There’s a lot more room down there now that I’ve carved a tunnel into the side of the bedrock. How’s that sound?”

She nodded. “Sounds perfect. I shouldn’t have too much longer, I imagine you can wait?” She moved from his wing and picked up the list again. “If we’d like to head off faster maybe you could help me finish this current one off?”

“Sure thing! I’ve got all my mining finished for the day anyway. Just tell me what I need to do, since cutting and carving wood really isn’t my thing,” Silver admits, proceeding to do whatever he can to aid in Rosewood’s work.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 03:58:40 pm by Kryptid »

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2015, 12:39:53 am »

Entry #1
Note to Self: Whenever the damn griffon gets a calender, add dates

So we have arrived in this barren wasteland. Joy. To be quite honest, I've never liked being away from the pack. Always felt more vulnerable. Especially with at least one griffon who doesn't really like me. To be honest, I don't like him either. Regardless... I suppose if some poor bastard finds this, they'll need names eh?

Lucky Lands, Military Adviser to the Second Regiment's Officer. While I prefer myself to be quite good at military tactics, I was mainly consulted for matters of supply lines. The CO had at least three advisers going by the same title, so not like I was unique in that regard. Regardless, I hail from the City-State of Fruitholds... Or the Kingdom of Coupledye. Whatever. I prefer the former.

I am here on a mission from Coupledye to observe and protect. The noble bastards want to make sure nothing rivals the power of their kingdom, so of course they send expendable soldiers to do some spying. Joy. Makes me want to shove a blade through them. Could very well be killed should I end up crossing the boundaries of observation to outright spying.

Entry #2
Note to Self: Damn Griffon still hasn't put up a calender.

Well, well, well. I've met two of the ponies here. The bat and a fellow Unicorn. To be quite honest, I don't care about the bat's name. The unicorn however is named Patina Dreams. Strange, I know, however she's quite... Naive. She quite readily took an offer to load money without any questioning. Quite fun when I broke her spirits for a moment.

Though my comment about the debts is still valid.
Note to self: Don't write in view of other ponies.

The bat seems to be a bit... Energetic. Could be he's in his natural habitat most of the time, but to be quite honest, I couldn't care less about if he was a bat or a Lesser Born Earth Pony, I still find his manners deplorable. Taking a swig of drink in front of a superior? If I could write out a sigh, I would. I like his politeness though. At least he knows his place knows his manners in that department*.

Along with this, the bat mentioned somebody by the name of... Jack Pine? The carpenter with the thing. Yeah. To be honest, I never associated with the carpenters. I preferred the tavern over the pub. However, if I end up finding he has something worthy of a little bit of juicy information gossip on the town ponies.

*Note to Self: Stop writing in view of other ponies. They get curious and peek.

Note to Self: After today's events, I suppose I shall be writing this when everypony is asleep and/or busy.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 11:46:30 pm by Iceblaster »

Amorack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2015, 04:06:36 am »

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 02:52:07 pm by Amorack »

Personal Gamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Fanfiction editor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2015, 04:01:15 pm »

“See you tonight then,” Patina says in farewell, before looking back to her forge, muttering to herself “Next, I need to make some nails for Rosewood, I wonder if the lead we have is strong enough to hold, if only I had something to alloy it with other than our silver. Hmm…”

Usually in historic constructions wood joinery would be used, and nails would be delegated to things like shingles and things you can't cut joints in. Nails of lead would be very difficult to use, as they're prone to bending, creeping (deformation over time)*, and thermal expansion, which iare problematic both in holding together under stress and when assembling (You could use a thin steel rood as a pilot hole of sorts, I guess). Not an ideal construction material. Even lead pipes had copper in them (ore frequently can be found with copper, though).

Lead does have the advantage of being very easy to work with, and being more water-resistant than other metals. That's about it.

*You'd have to replace them, especially if exposed to stress.

Personal Gamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Fanfiction editor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2015, 08:42:44 pm »

Lattice’s Diary, 11th Felsite, 222

Lucky hasn’t said anything since that night, and I’m guessing her servant didn’t notice since I’ve not even seen him. I spent my time in my tent or near it. Somepony heard I was a seamstress (maybe from the aforementioned servant), and asked if I could fix something for them. I did it happily, and while I didn’t make any money, I did do some barter. I’m glad I could get some more ink, since it occurred to me that there might not be any to buy in Shadytrails.

There’s still no sign of anypony else showing up. We’re due to leave soon, and I don’t want to stay longer than I have to.

Lattice’s Diary, 13th Felsite, 222

A family & a griffon guard arrived today, the latter consisting of an earth pony farmer named Green Acres, his wife, a pegasus carpenter named Sweet Birch, and their daughter bundle of cute named Purity. The parents seemed nice enough, but I was wary of spending too much time around the father. The griffon was huge, and he said his name was Fargo. I was a little intimidated by him, but he was pretty nice, if quiet.

Lattice’s Diary, 15th Felsite, 222

Nopony else arrived, and today we’re set to leave. I’m somehow the only one prepared with a detailed, scaled map and a compass, so somehow I got put in charge of navigation. Or maybe they’re just lazy… I mean there is a trail. But I couldn’t help but be prepared on account of my mother being a professional who worked as a caravan guide, and then as a mapmaker when she settled down with dad. It’s a shame I couldn’t have brought one of her maps, it would have been nice to have a reminder of home.

Lattice’s Diary, 17th Felsite, 222

A pair of ponies showed up today, a griffon mare and a cloaked pony … zebra? It was hard to tell if that was dirt or stripes on him, and I wasn’t the only one. The griffon was muddied up, and she said they’d been set on by bandits, and asked if they could travel with us. Safety in numbers and all, I guess. Something doesn’t seem right, though. They don’t look very “robbed” and their clothing isn’t damaged at all. I was going to offer to patch it up, but when I was about to I noticed that they may as well have taken off the clothes when they fled with us being none the wiser. The more I think about them, the odder it seems. They have an odd mix of supplies for traveling, too. I only got a passing glance, but they seemed ill-prepared, and I doubt the thieves went rummaging through their bags. Fargo seemed a little suspicious too, but neither of us said anything. At best, a knowing look.

I hope they don’t try anything.

Lattice’s Diary, 23rd Felsite, 222

...I never even got his name, and he’s gone. Lucky’s servant was set upon by bandits, who ran off with her armor. I’m only really concerned since she’s less useful as a guard without her things.

Lattice’s Diary, 27th Felsite, 222
 We just passed what looked to be the Perechon River on my map, meaning we’re in the general region of Cloverbuck. I told the others to keep an eye out for signs of passage or buildings.

Lucky never did give any indication or sorrow for losing her companion, even though it’s been a few days now. I’m concerned that that I’d have been more surprised if she did… At least she’s mostly leaving me alone. I can’t say the same for Fargo, though, who doesn’t like her. She does do her best to annoy him, so it’s justified.

Lattice’s Diary, 1st Hermatite, 222

I’m terribly confused. Why would they send me to a town that literally has one building? It sucks, and there’s no fabric to work on here. At all. I don’t think I was the only one surprised at this, though. I can’t really complain, it'll be nice to have a roof over my head. I really don’t like that I’ll be sleeping in the same room with everybody of both genders, though.

Isolde, a griffoness, is the expedition leader. She assigned me to masonry work with with a unicorn mare named “Patina”. I didn’t get a chance to explain that my name didn’t follow the name-career trend well, since that, while a lattice can be made of cloth, it usually implies stone. Maybe some of what Dad taught me about his work could help, though he usually worked in mixed material structures. I mean it’s all about the attention to detail, right?
 Well … assuming you want a safe house to live in.

Other than that everything seems ok here, and hopefully it’ll grow into a community I might just find a place in … a place to be happy again.

Well, finally reached the present-ish.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 06:42:36 pm by Personal Gamer »

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2015, 11:28:25 pm »

Lattice was eating dinner near the opening of the camp’s mine, examining the mechanism it used for moving cargo up and down the shaft, and the logic-defying method used to contain the aquifer.

Fargo was walking from point to point as he usually did during the day. It wouldn’t be long now before he was done with his patrol and could go rest and get some dinner, but he had one last round to make. By now most the ponies had gone back to the meeting hall to eat after a long work day, but he needed to make sure everyone done working before he got any rest. Right now he was nearing the mining pit, and he was rather confused when he saw a pony by it. “Hello there, friend!” 

Lattice jumps when she’s startled by a voice from out-of-sight. “Oh … umm ... Hi.
You’re one of the guards, right?”

Fargo started to slowly walk towards the mare, “Yes, and my name is Fargo.” He was smiling, even as he inspected her. Something seemed off about her, and she was eating all alone. “I was expecting to run into silver, this is a surprise.” 

“... Is there a problem? If there is I’ll go back inside, but I was just curious as to how the mechanism works and how the aquifer is retained.” Lattice was starting to get nervous, and her eyes would occasionally dart around the pit, and she was hesitant to make eye-contact with the Guard.

“No, there is no real problem.” He said, before looking down at the pit. “You seem a little nervous, you shouldn’t be.” He said before looking back at her and smiling. “I may be big and intimidating, but I try my best not to be mean or do harm.”

Lattice scraped a forehoof on the dirt and tried to spit it out before getting in trouble. “It’s just that ... back in B-buck--buckington … the guards were … well-they ... theguardswereworsethanthecrime,” she stammered, sounding like she was struggling to hold it together.

“There is a difference between a guard and a legalized thug.” He said, before sighing, and looking back at the pit. “You know, I don’t blame you for being uncomfortable though.” He shrugged. “Still, I’m not like the one’s at buckington. I’m paid to protect, not to police.”

“Well… the guard did at least police, I guess. Half of everypony punished was someone who was on the same street as a noble when the sun got in the noble’s eyes. I didn’t…” she pauses, and takes a few deep breaths before continuing, “I didn’t realize how bad it and the legal code was until too it was too late for me.” A few tears had started working their way down her muzzle.

Fargo kept facing the pit, but his eyes moved over to look back at the mare. He’d make a small frown for a second when he saw her crying. “You would be well not to try to get so worked up over memories. It’ll eat you apart.” He patted her on the back and chucked for a moment. “What’s done is done, let it make you strong.”

“I-I … it isn’t that easy. It...” Lattice started to choke up on her sentence, and collapsed onto her haunches, sobbing openly.

“It never is, but give it-” He seemed surprised by the sudden collapse of the mare “All the time in the world...” He got next to her and offered her his claw. “You need help up? Are you hurt? Do you need to see Gunther? I’ll make sure he doesn’t try to eat you...” he paused for a moment, “or something like that.”

She continues sobbing, and doesn’t acknowledge him other than slightly turning her head away.

Fargo sighed, “Come on, you're a grown pony.” He rested his claw on his head and tried to figure out what to do. “We can talk about what is saddening you or something... It’s better than falling apart.”

She continues quietly sobbing. She attempts to say something, but nothing can be made out clearly.

He sighed, and backed away from the mare. He couldn’t help her if she wasn’t going to try and help herself. So, he took a few steps away. “I’ll wait here until you calm down, and tell me then if you’d like me to leave...” He would feel bad if he just left her there to cry but he didn’t know what to do.

Lattice lies there for while, her sobbing gradually diminishing to a few choked outbursts every now and then. As they continue to diminish, she eventually gets up and attempts to finish her meal, but she’s lost her stomach for more, opting instead to just look out at the forest on the hill to the west, being draped in shadow by the setting sun.

He waited there for a little while, before realizing it was getting dark. “I’ll take my leave. If you need help, just say something.” He said before starting to walk away. He decided to just go straight to the meeting hall as opposed to finishing his patrol. He was feeling more tired than normal, and nobody would really mind if he workday a little short.

She doesn’t make an acknowledgement of what Fargo said, but instead she moves to put her jacket on. Rather than following him back to the main building, she solemnly off towards to woods, head hung low, wanting nothing more than to be alone.

“Stop that now. It’s not safe to go out there in the dark.” He said, looking over his shoulder and noticing her begin to walk off. “It would be far better if you went inside and slept on it. When you wake you’ll feel better.”

Lattice frowned, but stopped anyways. She started trotting back, even though she wasn’t feeling better in the slightest; if anything she felt worse, with a simple trip to go see the lift mechanism turning into something that dredged up unwanted memories. She’d have to figure out how four planks held back the aquifer later.

It was several hours later, and while everyone else was fast asleep, Lattice hadn’t had any such luck trying to fall asleep. She wasn’t comfortable in the slightest, almost to the point of feeling insecure despite the circumstances. She reached over and fumbled around for her tent and other supplies. Doing the best she could in the dark, she carefully put the other items down and wrapped the heavy tend around herself. It felt comforting enough to let her finally get to sleep, but it wasn’t a peaceful slumber by anyone’s standards.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2015, 11:24:41 pm »

This earlier in the day before the scene with lattice

Fargo ws to the south of the town walking north along the river after having checked on sight where the bridge was soon to be constructed. He had his shield and halberd strapped to his back, and was focused on looking for any source of trouble. It was nice spending most of his time walking around from place to place like this, as he didn’t have to deal with the other guards (and by Extension lucky or the zebra) and could maybe stop and chat up some of the people if he felt like a short break.

The other guard, however, spotted him and mistook him for an incoming bandit with the way he’s armed and looking around like he’s trouble. Shooting Star pressed herself a little more into the low-hanging cloud that she’s perched on and used as her watchtower, she carefully rests her crossbow on a foreleg, steadying it and drawing a bead on the approaching griffin as her wings flapped lightly, slowly bringing the cloud lower towards the ‘bandit’.

Fargo just kept walking down the river, scanning across the ravine for any potential threats. He was perfectly unaware of the armed pony slowly floating down towards him. He did look like a bandit as well, what with the big intimidating size, the way he was looking around all suspicious like and his hodgepodge of cheap armor and weapon certainly didn’t help.

“Halt.” The Cloud-bound Mare demanded from her cloud, a distance away that she is sure she could probably take a second shot if he decide to rush her, but close enough that she wouldn’t miss if she shoot him now.

The gryphon’s head darted right to the source of the sound the moment he heard the command. The moment he spotted the crossbow toting mare he’d spread his wings and side stepped down into ravine to his left. He’d knew there was danger out in wilds, but he didn’t expect for some bandit to get the jump on him like this when he’d been so vigilant! “Help I’m being assaulted!”

The Crossbow’s sight followed the fleeing bandit, Shooting Star bit her lower lips as the threat began to flee RIGHT AT the settlement! “I said stop!” She said again. “You’re Trespassing into private property! Stop or you’ll be shot!”

He was barely able to catch flight before he could splash down into the river. His immediate instinct was to grab out his shield, so if she did shoot he’d at least have some sort of protection. “If you're a guard then why are you threatening to kill another guard eh!?!” He was in a bad spot and he knew it, but wasn’t going to be foolish enough to drop his arms and hold still so some bandit could bolt em’ in the head.

“There is no way I’m going to fall for that cheap trick! What do you even want from us anyway? We’ve no money or anything valuable! Just go away and nobody has to get hurt!” Shooting Star calls out, skeptical at the Griffin’s claim.

He didn't’ know what to do, if he rushed her he’d risk getting shot, and he can’t just run off because he really couldn’t live out in the wild with no food or anything, and he didn’t particularly want to leave, and on top of everything he still expected her to pull the trigger if he lowered his shield. “No! Isolde is paying me to stay here and guard, and that’s what I’m going to do!” If the mare was telling the truth, maybe dropping the leader’s name would get her to believe him.

The Mare hesitated for a moment. “How’d you know Lady Isolde’s name?” She asked.

“Because I showed up a few days ago with the migrants!” He yelled as loud as he could. Maybe if he rushed her he could clear the distance quick enough before she could get a few extra shots, but the mare was younger than him, and pegasi were quicker in the air than griffons.

“Alright, I’ll bite. Give me some names of other residents!” Shooting Star challenged.

“Lucky lands, um... Isolde!” He said, before trying to think up another “Gunther, Silver rush!”

Well, he’s got three names that she knows right. The mare slowly lower her aim, but still kept the crossbow in her hooves in case she need to still shoot the guy. “Well, you’ve got two other names that I know right. . so I suppose you’re not a bandit, then?” Shooting Star asked carefully. “Why haven’t I seen you before?”

“Because I’ve not been here for very long. I showed up with the new guys.” He was still very angry about almost getting shot, and he still didn’t trust the mare, but he tried his best not to let it show.

Shooting Star thought on that for a moment, before nodding. “Fair enough. Sorry for mistaking you as a Bandit, then. Corporal Shooting Star. Former Coupledye armed force aerial scout. You?” She asked and pointed her crossbow to the side, away from the apparent new guard but still in her grasp. Offering him her apologizes.

“Eh, I’m Fargo. I used to be a caravan guard and was a soldier back in my homeland.” He said, relaxing a little now that things calmed down a little. “And uh, don’t worry. I thought you were a bandit too.”

“Why would you think I’m a bandit? you’re the one walking around in those garbs and looking suspiciously.” Shooting Star pointed out.

“Because you tried to hold me up with a crossbow... it doesn’t matter though. At least we didn’t kill each other.”

“Yeah, that’d be.. bad.” The mare rubbed the back of her neck with a hoof. “But hey! Now I know you’re one of the new guards too! Maybe we can patrol together or something later. That’d be a lot safer! Although it’s pretty quiet around here. I haven’t even get to shoot my crossbow outside of target practice once since I came here

“I suppose we could sometimes, perhaps.” He wasn’t too sure if he wanted to do it yet, as he wanted to know what the mare was like before agreeing to anything. He was also still a little mad. “And it’s good things are boring. It’s far better than dangerous.”

“I agree.” Shooting Star nodded with a smile. “Well, I’ll bring the cloud back up to keep watch. You have a good day!” She bid him farewell with a wave before starting to bring her cloud back up again.

Fargo waved back for a moment, before getting back by the side of the river and continuing his own patrol. He was rather annoyed and stressed out after the whole ordeal, but at least nothing bad happened.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13