Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: Shadytrails (My Little Fortress)  (Read 39920 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
Re: Shadytrails (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2015, 11:58:51 pm »

(this takes place before mr zebra dude steps down from head guard guy.)

Like most days, Isolde finds herself sifting through some figures on the pages in front of her.  There wasn’t a huge amount to keep track of yet, so she could still do it on her own in addition to everything else she needed to do, but it was still a chore she didn’t relish.  She taps a talon idly on the table as she reads, finding nothing unexpected or alarming.  Good.

As she worked, a large griffon would walk into the shelter. Fargo had been on duty for a little while and now he was taking a break for lunch. He rested his halberd against the wall near the front door, but as opposed to getting some food, he looked around for one person in particular. Upon spotting Isolde, he started to walk over to her. “Um, pardon me, are you busy at the moment?”

She looks up and quickly smiles.  “Oh no, nothing important.  What’s on your mind?”

“Well, I have a few things I’d like to talk about, in particular a few problems I have with how the town’s defenses are being run.” He said before taking a seat across the table from her.

It takes a bit of effort not to frown.  Looked like this wasn’t going to be as pleasant of a distraction as she’d hoped for.  “Alright, what problems are you referring to?”

“I’m sorry if this is a bother but regardless, my problem is rather simple. I feel like we need to have some type of eh.” He tried to think of a way to put it. “Basically, it seems before I showed up it was expected for the guards to go to sleep during the night and have nobody on watch. I have been trying to keep up most nights and keep an eye out since I came here, but I need some help with this. Shooting stars seems willing to help with this but eh...” He paused for a moment and made a small sigh. “Still I’m usually working more hours than I can really handle. There needs to be some rule or something that people takes turns watching at night.” He wasn’t making much eye contact and seemed to be a little anxious.

She listens and relaxes a hair as he speaks.  “I see.  I’ve been leaving those sorts of decisions up to Kiume, as far as I could, but I understand what you’re saying.  We had a bit of a problem before you showed up since we only had him and Shooting Star to watch.  Two can’t cover a 24 hour period by themselves for very long, so I think they were just doing the best they could.

“If you want to change the schedule up so that someone is always watching at night, then you’ve got my blessing.  I agree that it’s something that should be done, especially now that we have enough to cover it.”  She tilts her head a bit.  “Do you want me to talk over it with him?”

“Yes, actually.” He smiled a little. “I was hoping you would and Eh, thank you.” The big bird actually looked rather tired, even if he was trying hard not to let it show. “Though em, problems like this probably will keep popping up as the fort grows, eh, as more people come I expect more things will need updating.” 

She nods and gives a little shrug.  “I imagine so, yes.  I’m hoping that Kiume will be able to take over more of the administrative side of this as that happens, so maybe that’s something I’ll talk with him about.”  She returns his small smile.  “At least we’re making a little headway on formalizing the guard.  It’s going to be a few months before it’s done, but the guardhouse will certainly make things feel more official.  It’ll probably be necessary by the time we get anyone else.”

“Yes yes, and the guardhouse is a good step, but just be prepared for when you get more people. You have silver in this place, and when word spreads I suspect you’ll be having far more people around than you do now. When you have enough people you soon need to watch them as much as you watch the outside.” He leaned back a little and looked away. “An eh, if the guards watch the people who watch the guard eh?”

Isolde isn’t entirely able to mask her concern this time.  “Are you worried that there might be some… corruption?”

He sighed before looking her in the eye. “I’ve been to many towns in my years on the road. There is always corruption.” He looked away again, “This town is small now, and everyone knows each other, but once it gets big enough, someone will get greedy. It will happen, it’s our nature.”

Oh, at least he wasn’t talking about anyone there now.  She relaxes again and says, “Likely, yes.  I’m not sure exactly what we’ll do to police that and minimize it.  It’s kind of one of history’s big questions that nobody has found a perfect answer to.”  She taps a talon on the table again.  “The simple aspect, of course, is that corruption among any Confederacy employees is immediate grounds for termination and exile, and depending on the exact details I’d probably pursue that.  How do you detect and prove it though?  That’s the hard part.  I think we’ll probably have to fall back on the only really reliable method: just keep track of our own.  The guard will probably have to rely on themselves to find any future corruption, for better or worse.”

“Guard’s aren’t only corrupt, they can abuse the trust they’ve been given, walk the thin line between invasive and protecting, and all sorts of things... Look, I’m not planning on us to create some fantastic answer to things like this, I’m just hoping that you start to plan or at least be prepared for this now before it’s a problem. Look to the future eh?”

“I understand your concerns, believe me.”  She sits up and takes a deep breath.  “These kinds of things are always at the back of my mind.  I’m the one responsible for everyone here, so they have to be.  Abuse of power at least is easier to recognize and deal with.  For any situation though, we can lay out rules but it’s going to come down to circumstance in the end.  I’ll do my best to prepare for when it happens, I assure you.”

“I trust you will. Anyways, I think I’ve been enough of a bother as it is. Your doing a fine job here, so I feel rather bad for bringing up such worrisome things.” He said before standing back up. “Thank you for your time.”

“No, no, don’t worry about it.  I’m glad anyone is concerned about these matters, really.”  She waves a claw.  “Any time you want to discuss anything, I’m always available.”

“Thank you, and thank you for the help too.” He said nodding before going to grab his halberd. He’d spent a decent amount of time talking with Isolde, and it was probably for the best he went back to work as opposed to grabbing some food.

“You’re welcome.”  She waves him off and goes back to staring at her stock report.  Yeah, maybe they should be a bit more careful about that silver...
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2015, 12:04:24 am »

The moon rests high in the nighttime sky, obscured by clouds as they pass it by. The rather busy village of ponies has all but quieted down. Despite this, a griffon and unicorn wandered the -rather lonely- street. Lucky and Fargo had been given the night shift for that week and it hasn’t been the kindest on her. Mainly the fact she wasn’t the best choice for staying up until dawn. So much so in that she would occasionally nod off before being rudely awaken by her companion.

Lucky trotted off around a corner, eyes growing heavy. It’d been quite a few hours since she normally went to bed, and while she had been used to staying up, her body definitely wasn’t ready for the change. She leaned against the closest building and quickly fell asleep, despite her obvious duties.

She’d get to nap a little while, as it was going to take fargo a bit of time before he’d walk by her as he continued his patrol. Once he got to the building she was at, Fargo made a loud sigh, before shaking her a little. “Come on, you have a job.”

Lucky quickly opened her eyes, her horn lighting up before realizing where she was. “W-What…?” She mumbles, a bit disoriented and groggy.

He shook her again before letting go. “You fell asleep again.” He was tired as well, but at least he was able to keep his eyes open. “Try not to take a break and instead keep walking. When you rest you sleep.”

She sighs and gets steady on her hooves again. “You’d be sleeping on the job as well…” She stretched, mumbling about never doing the night shift if she can help it. “How much longer are we going to be out?”

“Until it get bright out again.” He frowned, before backing away from her. “I know you’re new to this, but you need to get yourself to stay up.”

“Yeah yeah…” She sighs, falling back into line. “Well… Since we’re here, might as well talk, no?”

“Eh....” He tried to think of a way out of it, but decided not to make things awkward. “Alrighty.”

She chuckles trotting ahead. “Didn’t think you’d take the offer.” She turns around. “So, I assume you have a reason for accepting? Not really one to talk to friends.”

He cringed a little when he called him a friend. “You know um, I call everyone friend right?”

She smirked. The reaction definitely was one she was looking for. “Same here too, friend. Why is that?”

He made another sigh. “This is what I get for trying to talk with you...”

“What’s a little socialization to keep us awake? Or are you hiding something~?” She said, jokingly adding a singsong voice to her tone.

“No, I don’t.” He started to walk off to continue his patrol, but kept talking to her. “What makes you think such a thing?”

She shrugs, following him. “People hide things all the time. Can’t hurt to wonder, eh?”

“Yes, but picking at other people’s personal things can.”

“You don’t have anything to hide from me.” She chuckles. “Naaah, just joking. Apologies?”

“Eh, sure...” He said, as he looked out into the dark, trying to spot anything that could be out there.

She sighs, looking around as well, trying to think of something to either say or ask, while she didn’t like the griffon, socializing on duty is nothing new. “Hmmph… You’re no fun when you’re on duty.”

“It’s not just that I’m on duty.” He muttered. “What do you want me to do eh?” He sounded a little annoyed, but not very angry. “This is a job, not play time.”

Lucky sighs once again, however for a different reason. “Do you want an emotionless suck up, or someone who has a personality?”

“I don’t need a suck up, I just prefer people don’t cause problems.” He then turned to face her again. “And there is a difference between not being mean and sucking up.”

“Apologies for the outburst. I am just trying to keep myself distracted from the fact I am tired as hell. I tend to become more… Annoying, if you wish to call it that, when I’m this tired.” She sighs and takes a less annoyed tone, going to her more monotone, professional voice. “And on the term usage, I believe I was correct. Past experiences with my CO has proven me correct.”

He frowned, before looking away. “You don’t have to be sorry, you just need to try and not be as mean or cold to people...” He’d pause for a moment. “What if you went and took a nap or something for an hour or three, and then I wake you up and then I take a nap while you patrol?”

She shrugs. “I suppose that works, at least until proper schedules are set up. Prevents arguments, at least.”

“Alrighty. Just tell me where you are going to go sleep so I wake you up later.”

She shrugs again, already looking sleepier. “Eh… It’ll be somewhere in that general direction.” She pointed to the main building and quickly made her way over. “See you whenever…” Lucky called out as she left.

“Yeah, see you later.” He said, before starting to walk off. He didn’t really trust her to stay up during her shift, but he might as well give her a chance again. Nothing had happened in town, and he was starting to let his guard down.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 24, 2015, 11:59:34 am »

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 12:12:10 am by Iceblaster »

Kryptid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 24, 2015, 10:21:16 pm »

16th Malachite, 222

There was much discussion taking place in the new house belonging to the local miner. Tunda and Silver Rush had met up there after work so that they could make some plans for their next show. The stallion paced back and forth across the wooden floor as the two tossed ideas back and forth, “So about the design of our uniforms...I was thinking that we should have them made in some shade of blue. I think that color would be a good complement to your own blue eyes and a good contrast to my copper eyes. Plus, our coats are brown and gray, which are fairly neutral and could therefore go with blue just as easily as any color. Do you have any thoughts on that?”

"None except that I agree, and a great many colors would look attractive on you or me," Tunda complimented them both.

The miner gave a nod and smile in response, “So we’re in agreement! I’m thinking about a tunic for myself. Perhaps a robe or gown for you?” He let out a sigh and glanced at one of the windows, “Too bad we don’t know when Ms. Frame will have a chance to actually create them. Who knows when we’ll actually get some cloth to work with around here?”

Tunda nodded sympathetically. "It may be some time, before we even see so much as twine. Maybe the next set of traders will bring some cloth? Hopefully Lattice Frame won't be too busy to pull them off." The zebra needed to see her some time before she starts, and ensure she gets something that will show off her figure.

“I hope so. You never can tell what they’ll bring, though. Maybe it would be more realistic to think about getting some instruments before suits. Surely something simple like a drum could be created with material currently available to us?”

"I would think so, but how to make instruments isn't something I know," Tunda says with a shrug. Maybe somepony in town has those sort of skills.

Rosewood had been thinking since she’d seen Silver and Tunda perform, and now thought she had enough to work with. She’d paused hearing voices from inside the residence before raising a hoof and knocking. “Silver? It’s me.”

A fuzz-tipped ear twitched at the voice, “Excuse me for a moment, Tunda.” Silver trotted over and opened the door, revealing the fuschia unicorn standing on the other side, “Rose! How are you today? Please, do come in.”

Rose grinned and stepped in, noticing Tunda. “Oh, sorry if I was disturbin’ anythin’. I can wait until you two’ve finished your conversation first, it’s not urgent.” She nodded politely at the zebra however. “How are you today, Tunda?”

Tunda smiled broadly in response. "I'm just fine miss Rosewood. I hope you'll tell me the same if you could."

“I’m also fine, thank you.”

“We weren’t too busy,” Silver assured Rosewood before walking over and wrapping a hoof around her neck in a friendly gesture, “Just talking about things related to our show. Speaking of which, we should probably set a date for the next one. If this proves popular enough, I’d like to be able to do it every month.”

Rose’s ears perked with interest. “That’s what I came to ask about, actually. I wondered if I could join in performin’ something. I have my poetry I think some others might like. I might have enough t’turn into short stories if that would be favored too.”

This was an unexpected surprise! "I had no idea you had skill with verse! I would love to hear it rehearsed,” the zebra mare spoke excitedly.

“It’s nothin’ spectacular, but I think I would prefer it if somepony with experience heard it before t’rest of t’town.”

“Another addition to the show…”, the bat-pony contemplated aloud while he tapped his chin with a hoof, “I hadn’t considered turning this into more than just a singing, but I do like that idea. Yeah! There could be multiple acts. Maybe anypony with some kind of talent that they could display could be a part if they want to. This could be big!”

The chocolate zebra nodded. "I'm sure everypony would appreciate some variety. I have another pony to suggest, if that wouldn't be impropriety."

Silver’s interest is further piqued, “Another? Who did you have in mind?”

"I've spent time speaking with Shooting Star. I haven't asked her to perform, but she has a dancing talent to impress wide and far."

That was certainly some information that the bat-pony hadn’t learned of before, “Dancing? That’s great! Something like that could definitely be integrated into our own act. We really should find out if there’s any way to work that out.”

Rosewood’s presence reminded Silver about a question he wanted to ask. Now that she might actually be a part of their little ensemble, it would be even more appropriate to bring it up, “Hey, Rose! We could really use your expertise in building a good quality stage for the performances. I think it should be pretty roomy, just in case some future act requires some extra space. Maybe we could also put wheels on it so that it could be moved around more easily. What are you thoughts about that?”

“Sounds good! I’ll draw some designs t’night and see what you guys think about it t’morrow? Where do you think we’d keep it when it’s not in use?”

“Great!” the fanged pony grinned at the obvious enthusiasm the unicorn had, “We should be able to store it somewhere that it will be protected from the weather. The communal shelter might have worked if any of the doors were large enough for it to get through. Then again, a stage that can be disassembled and reassembled might be able to make it through the doors. Plus, we’d also need to make sure that Ms. Hookbill is okay with us putting it in there.”

“Sounds great, I’m sure that can be arranged. I’ll think about it before I turn in t’night. Who’s askin’ Ms Hookbill?”

"Silver and I can go ask if you don't mind. I think she'll agree with the idea, we'll find." Miss Isolde has always been a reasonable griffoness.

“That sounds like a plan to me,” the chiropteran stallion concurred, “While we’re at it, maybe I can convince her to allow us to post some flyers up around town. We’d be more likely to get new acts if others know that we’re recruiting. I’d also like to add in a part inviting any residents who know how to construct or play instruments to see us as well.”

“Maybe now’s a time for me to learn instrument makin’, if that’d help?”

“I wouldn’t want to put too much on you, but I’m sure there are quite a few things that could be constructed from wood. After seeing what you made for my birthday, I know you certainly have the talent needed for it,” Silver’s lenticular eyes glanced over to the carved figure sitting beside his bed. “I wouldn’t object to you giving it a shot if you wanted to, though.”

Rose simply grinned.

After some further discussion, all of the issues were ironed out and Rosewood was officially added in as a third performer. In addition to this, a date was finally decided for the second show: 1st Galena. Unless this turned out to be a disaster, the plan was to have it become a monthly feature of the Shadytrails experience. Now only time would tell.

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2015, 07:32:30 am »

26th Malachite, 222

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 09:52:13 am by KingStrongbeard »

Personal Gamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Fanfiction editor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2015, 06:24:59 pm »

If nobody objects, I'm going to put the resignation down as the 20th of hematite when it gets posted on fimfiction.

Again, please give me something to work with for dates; at least a range between events.

After-the-fact addition to the post for the sake of continuity.

Lattice’s Diary, 5th Hermatite, 222

The main structure of the bridge is more or less done, but there’s still the need to shore up the banks – can’t have it washing away when it rains. To my dismay, the pony assigned to do that was me. It wasn’t terrible working on building the bridge since I wasn’t working alone, but now it’s just me. It shouldn’t be surprising since I’m the only earth pony here without a real job to do. The others are all professional construction workers or farmers.

Lattice’s Diary, 6th Hermatite, 222

Agh! How could I be so stupid? I didn’t even notice what I wrote my apology on! It was the pages about Buckington too! At least he doesn’t hold it against me like Lucky does.

Does Lucky hold it against me? She hasn’t really said anything to me for a while.

Lattice’s Diary, 7th Hermatite, 222

We’re I’m finished shoring up the banks, it looks like they’ll hold against any flash floods but I’m not sure… Hopefully we’ll be starting on housing soon, I’m not at all comfortable sleeping with the entire town.

Lattice’s Diary, 11th Hermatite, 222

A badger attacked today, and the guards dealt with it. It took a lot more effort to killpacifyeliminate put it down on the guards’ part than I would have expected.

It’s a little selfish of me, but I really hope I don’t have to clean it up.

Lattice’s Diary, 14th Hermatite, 222

The whole town got a treat today: Silver and Tunda put on a show earlier! It doesn’t hold a candle to the city performances, but I’d hardly expect anything of the sort here, ever. As it stands they aren’t a professional company.

Lattice’s Diary, 15th Hermatite, 222

Why can’t I control myself? I broke down again, this time in front of Silver! And the make matters worse, I kissed him! I don’t know why, either. It just happened!

Then, I fled! That makes it even worse, since now he might spread it around… I don’t want to be “That Mare”!

Lattice’s Diary, 16th Hermatite, 222

Ok, I apologized to Silver and it seems he doesn’t know what to make of it. It doesn’t look like he’s told anybody, either.

With that out of the way, we’re getting started on some houses! It sounded like the first party who set up the town gets priority, which makes sense. I don’t expect to enjoy working on homes for others while sleeping with the town in a communal room, though. It would be nice if we got another room to sleep in. I mean it has a log floor! LOGS!

I checked with telgin and it did indeed have a log floor. Don’t ask how that works, we’re not sure.

Lattice’s Diary, 21st Hermatite, 222

It’s been a little while, but something new finally happened: we finished the first house! It was given, fairly enough, to Rosewood. She did the most work in town’s construction, so it makes sense that she gets to use the fruits of her labor.

In other news, the militia commander resigned from his post yesterday. It looks like shooting star is going to be the candidate for replacing him, since Lucky and Fargo don’t get along.

Lattice’s Diary, 29th Hermatite, 222

All five houses we’ve set up have been completed, but Isolde insisted on sharing the communal room with us still instead of having her own house. They’ve been given to the remaining four members of the original expedition.

How has Isolde not noticed how the communal room needs a little upgrading from the hastily-built structure it is now.

I’m slowly falling into the groove of construction, and what my father taught me years ago is starting to come back. I’m glad it is, since without it I’d never get anything done.

Lattice’s Diary, 2nd Malachite, 222

Silver and Tunda had another show last night, so it looks like they’re doing them every two weeks or  monthly, perhaps. I’ll have to be sure to make them a matching pair of outfits as a gift. I wonder when their birthdays are?

Lattice’s Diary, 17th Malachite, 222

We put in some stone walkways near the houses. It seems a little bit of a waste of effort, but it only took a day and it’s much more presentable than otherwise. I’m sure we’ll be glad when it rains.

I’d probably go insane if there were nothing there because of the OCD I possibly have.

Lattice’s Diary, 29th Malachite, 222

I wish we would do something about these living conditions. If this keeps up I’ll end up sleeping outside. You can only sleep with most of the town on a log floor for so long before it gets to you!

I mean we’re working on workshops, the hospital, a tavern, and a guard barracks, which could help with the crowdedness, but I REALLY hope the tavery doubles as an inn. Most of them are just plans or ideas at most.

Lattice’s Diary, 1st Galena, 222

It looks like the shows are monthly, since there was another one today. I hope the caravan comes soon so I can start on those gifts for Silver and Tunda. They really do perform so well together.

Lattice’s Diary, 8th Galena, 222

Right now I’m one of the ponies working on the Hospital foundation. It’s a little tedious considering the terrain we’re working with and how obscenely irregular it can be. It’s something we want to get done quickly, but we can’t rush it without somepony finding themselves needing it before we’re done. It’s not my decision, though.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 10:27:29 pm by Personal Gamer »
It's not roleplaying if you do it as yourself.
Engineers have an instinctive need to prove their ability to others, regardless of their mutual competence in the field.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2015, 12:46:39 am »

21st Hematite, 222

The day after Kiume’s resignation, Isolde takes it upon herself to quickly get this lapse in leadership resolved.  There weren’t exactly a lot of choices to be had so she pretty much already knew what she wanted to happen, but it wouldn’t do to make a decision about this without consulting the other guards first.

It was still early afternoon when she sets out toward the training grounds past the foundation of the guardhouse, hoping to find everyone present.  Hopefully this distraction from their schedule wouldn’t disrupt things too badly.

Fargo would be sitting at the training ground, sharpening his weapon as the rest trained. He really didn’t care much for this part of the job and much rather be out on patrol actually keeping people safe and doing his job. He’d then get up once he saw Isolde walking towards the grounds, wondering what she had to talk about.

Shooting Star was on the look-out, as always. And spotted the Lady coming over and thought that maybe she wanted to talk. So she brought her cloud down low , almost landing it next to Fargo before hopping off of her impromptu watchtower to face the Griffoness. “My lady.” She greets with a friendly pony smile.

Oh, good, the two Isolde was hoping to speak with were there and it seemed that Kiume and Lucky were nowhere to be seen.  Out on patrol maybe.  She waves to them and stops just short.  “Good afternoon you two.  I hope I’m not interrupting, but there’s something I needed to speak with you about.”

“Trust me, it is of no concern. Neither of us were busy.” He was curious as to why she chose to come out here though. This wasn’t normal. “Regardless, is something the matter? Are we needed for something?”

“Nobody’s in trouble, I hope?” Shooting Star added her concern as well.

Isolde waves off Shooting Star’s concerns.  “No, no, nothing to worry about.  It just seems that we might need to have a bit of a restructuring of the guard here due to… unforeseen circumstances.”  She chances a glance back to the shelter, pondering if this should be more private.  “Have either of you spoken to Kiume recently about any concerns he’s had about being in charge?”

“‘I’m afraid I’ve not spoken to him about such things.” He raised an eyebrow as he tried to make sense of the situation. “Why is that of importance though?” If it was because of what he thought it was then Fargo would be particularly interested.

“I don’t think Kiume have talked to us much. If at all. I thought he’s just being quiet? did he have a problem?” Shooting Star asked with even more concern.

Isolde sighs.  “Yes and no.”  She points back toward the shelter.  “We should probably continue this in a slightly more private location, if you don’t mind?”

“I don’t mind at all.” He said, before waiting for Shooting to reply.

“Not a problem.” Shooting Star replied afterwards.

“Thanks, come with me then.”  Isolde leads the two back toward the shelter, whereupon she goes to verify that it was empty so they could have this discussion in private.

As the door opens, it reveals a certain unicorn that had been late to the meeting. She doesn’t seem to immediately recognize the group, backing up. “Uh… Sorry…” Lucky mumbles.

Fargo was rather surprised to run into her here, but decided not to get at her for being at the shelter instead of patrolling or something. “Good that you're here, we’re about to talk about something regarding the way we’re running the guard.”

Lucky suddenly jerks to full awareness at hearing Fargo. “Damnit…” She mumbles to herself. “Uh… Yeah!” She quickly springs to attention. “Apologies for the uh… Wait. I thought I uh… Heard something here and went to look.”

Lucky’s diligence wasn’t at question here, so Isolde decides that whoever got the position after this discussion could deal with that.  “Don’t worry about it.  This does concern you too, so come join us, please.”   She motions to the seats across from her usual seat at the table that she’d been using as a temporary office.

Shooting Star trots over to one of the empty seats and climbs onto it, settling down and getting ready to hear what’s up.

Fargo took a seat as well, and rested his halberd on the ground next to the table. He’d then wait for Isolde to inform them about what’s going on.

Lucky trots over to the area, however she chooses to stand, choosing to stand a bit to the side, facing Isolde. “I assume something is wrong?”

“It’s nothing urgent or vital at the moment, but in a sense, yes.”  Isolde sits back and crosses her hindlegs.  “Yesterday, Kiume approached me and expressed his desire to resign as captain of the guard.”

Shooting Star tilted her head, confused. “Did he say why?” she asked.

Lucky quickly nods, staying silent.

Fargo got a big smile on his face before he realized it. He’d then go back to  a more stoic look. “Oh... so I take it you’re needing someone to fill his place, eh?” He liked where this conversation was going.

The griffoness nods back to Fargo.  “He’ll need a replacement as soon as possible, yes.  I’d hoped to get some guidance on that now.”  To Shooting Star she says, “He was a bit vague about it, but the impression I got is that he simply no longer felt comfortable trying to be a leader.  He wants to remain in the guard, but not in a position of authority.  In truth, I believe he’s felt uncomfortable about it the entire time he has been here, so I don’t think it’s anything that happened recently that brought this on.”

Lucky nods again. “I’ve heard of his resignation from leading. I suppose you’ll be needing someone with… Experience?”

“There are a few factors I’m going to consider, and that’s one of them, yes,” Isolde confirms.

Shooting Star adjusts her seatings, perking up at the thought, having caught on the conversation already. “What’s the other factors?” she asked.

“I’m not going to rule anyone out completely, but… ‘existing loyalties’ might be a problem,” Isolde says, hoping Lucky would get the hint.  “I’d also rather not have a repeat of this problem if I can help it, so if any of you aren’t interested in it then please say so now.”  She’d be fairly surprised if any flat out rejected the position since in her experience almost everyone was ready to grasp at power if given a chance.

Fargo didn’t say a word. He was indeed still planning on leaving as far as Isolde knew, so that might be surprise.

Lucky chuckles, ignoring any implications from Isolde’s speech. “I’d be happy to take over.” She pauses for a moment before continuing. “That was a joke. Whatever you decide to do.”

“Well, I’d be happy if the ladyship would entrust the responsibility and duty to me. And that’s not a joke.” Lucky built that up so well Shooting Star simply had to pounce it.

“I’ve eight years as a soldier and eight as a guard my profession.” He said plainly. Regardless of what he said though, it’s not like he had any proof to back up his claim even if it was true. 

Isolde nods.  That was two possible takers then, which had reasonable credentials.  “Naturally, since Shooting Star has been here for the longest and because we’ve already verified her history I’m keen to favor her here.”  She turns her attention to the mare in question.  “Although… I don’t think you have as much experience.  Do either of you have leadership experience?”

“I’ve limited experience as a leader, but I do think I could make a decent one.” Fargo then looked over to Lucky, and forced himself to speak a little more. “You could ask Lucky to be honest about if I’m competent as a leader from our time on the road with the migrants.” He was going to regret this, but in the end it’s not like this could do much harm. best case scenario she doesn't screw him over.

Lucky chuckled. “The big bad griffon’s trusting me to be honest?” She paused for a moment before continuing. “On a more serious note, it’s debateable. Seeing as, in my knowledge, he put a military logistics officer in a full time guard position without prior knowledge of her skills while also neglecting to speak with his guardsmen, I’d say it’d be my recommendation to consider him only if there are no other options.” She explained, being as honest as she could, smirking slightly as she finishes up.

“She was hired separately by the migrants and I had no say in her appointment. I had to hold her hand like a father does a toddler through the bad side of town.” He tried not to snap at her, but muttered “Her with a sword is like a two year old running with scissors.”

“I just would like to bring up that I had no idea their alcohol in the pub was that strong.” Lucky replied, almost trying to one up Fargo. “Apologies for the interruption, Miss Isolde.”

Shooting Star watches the exchange between the two who she assumed to be lovers, does a little shrug, turns back to Isolde and says “I’ve been a corporal and was assigned to lead the recon squad in our platoon.”

The passive-aggressive arguing between the two was definitely cementing Isolde’s decision here.  Already she could tell that giving the position to Fargo would result in endless complaints from Lucky and she might even be openly defiant of his authority.  As if she held any loyalty to them anyway.  Isolde holds a talon to her temple and frowns.  “No experience in a commissioned officer’s position, but it’s better than nothing.”  She rubs her temple a bit.  “In that case, I think that barring new information, I’d like for Shooting Star to take over.  At least on a trial basis.”

The griffoness looks back up to them.  “If it turns out you don’t want to command after all, or if it’s not working out for some reason or another, then Fargo can take over.  He’ll be second in command for now.”

Lucky simply sighs, staying quiet to avoid anymore arguments with Fargo.

Fargo frowned for a moment. “Very well. This is for the best. I’d just like to let you know that if I were to be given captain, by first recommendation would be to take away Lucky’s position before she gets another pony killed.” He said, before standing up from the table with a fake smile on his face and picking up his weapon. “Eh, again it is for the best I didn’t get the rank though. This way when one of your ponies is bleeding out, it won’t be my fault. It never is.” He said, before turning around and starting to walk off. “I’m sure you can handle the rest with the new captain.”

Isolde taps a talon on the desk, considering whether she should try to say anything to put some sugar on Fargo’s sour grapes, but decides that it’s likely to be something he was going to have to work out on his own.  Instead, she says to the ponies and griffon gathered, “Remember, I may not strictly be in the chain of command here, but I do expect you all to remain professional and obey your superiors.”  Her eyes flick to Lucky again in particular for a moment.

Lucky sighs, nodding. “I understand Miss Isolde, however some ponies and or griffons here are… Less than tolerable. ‘Twould be a shame to not be able to respond to their oh so clever comments. I leave my comments in this professional setting at that.”

He stopped for a moment, and banged the end of his halberd on the ground. “If you have anything else to say, we can bring this outside my dear and we can settle this like adults.” He turned around for a moment and looked Isolde in the eye. “This is of course if duels are legal here, eh?” It wasn’t clear if he serious or not, but regardless he started to walk out again before Isolde replied.

“They’re not,” Isolde insists, loud enough that he could hear her no matter how far he might have walked.  More and more she’s sure she made the right choice here.  “I do recommend you all behave like adults though.”

Lucky chuckled nervously, nodding. “Hehe… Ah… Yes. Boys… Acting all tough, ‘Rawr I’m strong, mate with me’.” She said, obviously frightened by Fargo’s display.

“Well.. I was going to say that as long as everybody does as their responsibilities requires of them, then nopony should be bleeding out any time soon. But now I really can’t help but suggest that you two get a room already.” Shooting Star said, unable to help joining in on the foalishness fun and failed to stifle a little giggle.

Fargo kept walking out, and right as he reached the door he heard lucky make the comment. That damned mare knew exactly how to hit his buttons and get the right reaction out of him. He even knew she was doing it at this point. He took a deep breath, and slowly opened the door. He’d then hold there for the next couple of moments. “I’m too old for this.” He muttered under his breath, “She says this stuff to me, and cuts like a knife.” He said, this time louder, enough for them to hear. before stepping outside and taking another deep breath and closing the door behind him.

The old bird knew he made the right choice to take the loss walk out of the building. He’d made a fool out of himself, and everything he did made it worse. He’d tried not to explode at the mare for months and here he did at the worst possible moment. Even worse he let her have the last word, and it was the one thing that made him more angry than any other. He’d been played, insulted, and couldn’t do a thing now.

No, Isolde was going to have the last word here.  “Lucky, I’m very serious about everyone acting like adults here.  I’m willing to accept you in this town and even trust you to work with the guards, but only if you can work with them.  I expect this won’t become a recurring issue.”

Lucky nods, still a bit shaken however. “Yes ma’am. I apologize for my personal matters getting in the way of this… My associate is grating on the nerves.” The unicorn explains, returning to a professional tone after her outburst. “I may not have had the best judgement there and I apologize.”

The griffon nods.  “Thank you.  I hope the two of you can learn to get along a bit better in the future.”  A brief silence falls, which she breaks with, “If there are no other concerns, then you can get back to what you were doing.  Kiume is still in charge for today, but I’ll follow up with him on when to transfer command to Shooting Star.”

“I hope that he’ll rest easier tonight. I’ve always wondered why the poor Zebra always looked so tense..” Shooting Star said sympathetically.

“So do I,” Isolde agrees.  “Remember, if you feel like you can’t handle it either then I can find someone else.  I know it’s not what you signed up for.”

“I’ll try my best until then!” Shooting Star beamed brightly and salutes.

Isolde uncrosses her legs and picks up a quill.  “Thank you.  You can all get back to work then, and I’ll let you know if anything changes.”
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2015, 11:52:48 pm »

Spoiler: An Angry Unicorn (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 08:36:26 am by Iceblaster »

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2015, 03:45:33 am »

I would like to apologize for my lack of activity. I think I am officially going to be pulling out of this project now and stop making excuses. Sorry guys. I honestly thought I would have the time when I signed up.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2015, 09:09:43 am »

I would like to apologize for my lack of activity. I think I am officially going to be pulling out of this project now and stop making excuses. Sorry guys. I honestly thought I would have the time when I signed up.

It's fine :3

Hope you have a nice day/week/month/year/decade/century/millenia/eon :P

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 04, 2015, 02:01:04 am »

After the talk with Isolde and her promotion, Shooting Star head out to find the Griffon that had stomped off earlier.

Fargo was doing the same. He felt like he needed to talk with shooting star about things as well, and at least explain himself and apologize.

With the two of them looking for each others, it didn’t take long until they ran into each other. Shooting Star perk her ears when she spots the Griffon and waves. “Fargo! Over here!’

The Griffon looked over to shooting star before starting to walk over to her. “Eh, I was looking for you.”

“I was looking for you too! Are you okay today?” She asked with concern.

He made a sigh. “I was alright, until the talk.” He was frowning, and wasn’t trying very hard to hide how he was feeling. “I’d still like to apologize though, for how things went down.”

“You really don’t have to, you’ve got it pretty bad it there.” She commented.

“You know eh...  I was getting up to leave because I wanted to get out before things between me and lucky got to dramatic.” He then made a small groan and looked away from shooting star. “Made things worse though.”

“You were challenging her to duel.” Shooting Star pointed out.

“I wanted to shut her up. I know she hasn’t the honor or the courage to actually except such a thing, and even if she did I’d have disarmed her in a few seconds and let her walk away. She’s about as capable with a weapon as a toddler running around with scissors.” He didn’t actually know how competent she was, but he assumed she wasn’t much so.

“Then what’s she doing with a weapon?” The Mare asked questioningly.

“I do not know. I tend to avoid asking her too much, or conversation in general with her.”

“You know, at first I thought you two were feuding lovers. It were kind of cute.” Shooting Star said, giggling a little.

He groaned again and tried not to seem a little angry that she thought that, even though he was.”Eh... eh... yeah, no, I would never even think of romance with someone like her.” He paused for a moment and tried to change the topic. “You know, when I said she’d gotten someone killed before I was serious.” 

That had gotten the mare’s attention. “Oh? please do tell me more.”

“When me and her were protecting the migrants coming here, one of them died when he walked away from the group when we were resting. It was her shift after I’d been awake for far longer than I should because she couldn’t be bothered to do her job and I had to be her foreman. Anyways, an hour or so into her shift her armor bearer got ambushed and she lost all of her gear aside from a sword when all she had to do was make sure everyone kept together.”

Shooting Star’s eyes widen as she gasps from the tales. “That’s horrible! how’d the armor bearer even get ambushed anyway?”

“He was a little distance away from where we set up camp. He got pounced upon when he was away from everyone and we only had lucky on guard. We couldn’t watch everywhere and whoever attacked him must of been following us and been prepared and waiting for an opportunity.”

The mare frowned. “Did he at least get a proper burial?” She asked.

Fargo frowned as well. “Eh... we chose to run out of the area as quickly as we could. We had no idea if whoever killed him would come back or if whoever did it had numbers. I wasn’t going to run the chance of someone else getting killed for the sake of a ceremony.”

“Well, do you at least remember his name to make a memorial slate for him?” Moonlight asked further.

“You’d need to ask lucky for his name. I do not know if a slab was made.” 

“Hmm.. we should go ask Lucky sometimes. It doesn’t feel right to leave a poor stallion ro rot out there without even a memorial.”

“Yes... regardless though, I doubt she’s seen too it that a memorial was made even though she knew him better than anyone else in the group. She seemed to see the poor sap with little regard and showed more grief at the loss of her armor than at the loss of a life under her protection.”

“That’s.. that’s just wrong..” Shooting Star sighed.

“She even said that it was likely even inevitable that someone would die on the road. Like, walking from town to town is some great exodus. Hell, if that were the case she could have at least done her job and taken the arrow in place of her servant. But no, she has no respect for her job. You saw her in the meeting hall today? she sleeps on the job, goes AWOL, and disrespects her coworkers when she’s supposed to the only thing out here between someone and a bandit.”

“Are you sure that she isn’t a bandit herself?” Shooting Star asked suspiciously.

“No, she’s a mercenary. Which barely any better, but still... she’s not going to attack us at least.”

“Right.. I just hope we can count on her when things goes down and we really need ponies with pointy stuff to drive back something more than a few badgers..” Shooting Star hmpf’d.

“Did you know, I’ve been keeping her from slacking off? I try to make sure she stays up during night shifts, nagging at her trying to keep her from going and doing something else when she should be on duty. It’s okay though because she makes sure to repay the nagging by constantly insulting me.”

“Why don’t you make her do the morning shift instead and you do the night shift? Your eyes are probably better than a pony’s at night anyway.” Shooting Star suggests.

“Because, I can’t do the night shift every night or else I’ll be falling asleep during the day... regardless though, you need to make her work and do her job, or tell her she’s going to lose her job.” He couldn’t do it himself. Without a rank above lucky his corrections to her were just annoyances as opposed to orders. “She’s going to get someone hurt if you don’t.”

“No no, you do the night shifts, and sleep during the day, Lucky and Kiume can do the morning shift and I can take over the afternoon shift. Each one of us will be doing their shift for 9 hours a day, which will overlaps. And then we’ll have the rest of the day free to help out around the town, sleep or whatever we want. Of course I’ll have to make sure Lucky doesn’t naps during her shifts.” Shooting Star explains.

“Alrighty. We should still have our gear on or around us though when we aren’t sleeping and are off duty, though.”

“Yeah, I agree.” Shooting Star nods to that.

Fargo nodded before looking away for a moment, before looking back at shooting star. “I feel like I should let you know that I do feel I should have been given the promotion. I don’t have any ill thoughts of you, but please understand I’ve been doing this for years and I do my job best when I have few people telling me how to do it.”

Shooting Star nods understandingly. “I have no doubts that you know how to do your job, so that’s why I feel that it’ll be safe to let you take the night shift without risk of sleeping off and allowing some thieves to sneak into our town.”

“Yes...” He said, before nodding. “Anyways, I wish you luck with your new position.”

“And I hope that you’ll enjoy your shifts, free of anypony to nag at you.” Shooting Star beams.

“Heh, I’m plan on it.” He said, chuckling a little.

Kryptid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2015, 12:13:49 am »

22nd Hematite, 222

On this particular day, Silver Rush had picked out a low-lying cloud to snag and use as a cushion for relaxing. From atop his new perch, the bat-pegasus could see all parts of the fledgling town at once. As he watched the residents below at their various jobs or hobbies, Silver paid particular attention to one of the figures: Kiume. The zebra had been something of a recluse, rarely interacting with others unless it concerned his job in some way. Much of his time was spent sharpening his skill with a sword, which was just as true today as any other. 

Having heard recent news about the soldier’s change of status, Silver decided to go down and have a talk with him. He wasn’t clear on all of the facts, but the bat-pony suspected that giving the zebra a bit of support with a pep talk couldn’t hurt. He grasped the edges of the cloud and propelled it downward towards Kiume with his wings. After settling at a height within easy earshot, Silver called out to well-muscled equine, “Hey, Mr. Kiume! Nice weather today, wouldn’t you say?”

Kiume jumped, relaxing when he found the source of the greeting. “Right now it does seem good to me, but in those clouds rain I foresee,” he answered awkwardly. He didn’t seem comfortable with the idea of a casual conversation. “Er… have you had any luck working underground? There must be some valuable rocks here, I’ll be bound.”

“There sure are. I found plenty of minerals that could be cut into gemstones. Even without that luxury at our hooves, they are still worth something in their raw form. I could even show you around the mine someday if you wanted.” He seems a little nervous. Maybe I should ask about something he has enthusiasm for. Silver retained his smile as he took in the sight of the zebra’s weapon, “That’s quite a blade. Does it have any history to it or is it just something standard issue? Just about every time I see you you’re practicing with it.”

“It…” Kiume sighed. “We inherited weapons when we came of age, so that we could protect our tribe with an ancestor’s rage. My grandfather fought a dragon with this, if the stories are true. I hoped I’d be able to be a hero one day too.”

The bat-pony descended from his cloud and stepped closer to look at the sword in detail, “I would wish you good luck in that quest, but at the same time I guess that means I’d be wishing for you to put yourself in danger. I wouldn’t wish that on anypony. In the unfortunate event that your services really are needed in repelling enemies, I’m sure you’ll do just fine given how much you train.” He stepped back a bit and looked up at the taller equine, “Besides, you did help save Dawn Star from that badger. That’s got to count for something, right?”

Kiume fell silent, staring into the distance. Then, his head bowed, he answered quietly, “A single life I was able to save cannot repay those I allowed go to the grave. The sword I use cannot win me fame, I’ve already steeped it in my shame. Before I joined this expedition, forgetting that was my only mission. My family was killed in a vicious attack and only I escaped the sack. Every day I remember their screams. In my thoughts and in my dreams.” Kiume sighed, then his eyes widened. He slowly turned to face Silver Rush, hitching a brittle grin on his face.
“Oh dear, I’m sure that you’re quite bored, I’d better just go train with my sword,” he gabbled desperately, putting the blade on his back and spinning to leave.

“Whoa, whoa, hold on there a second!” The winged stallion interjected as he reached out a hoof, “Are you...serious? I’m sorry if this is a sensitive subject for you, but I had no idea you’d gone through anything like that! Do any of the others know about this?” That casts a whole new light on everything. Is that why he stepped down? Did his inability to protect his family make him feel unworthy of military authority? Maybe that’s also why he tends to stay to himself all the time…

“Oh, no,” Kiume answered, then cleared his throat. “I’ve never really talked about what happened that night; I’m just worried it’d give them too much of a fright. I thought it’d be better if I stayed alone and kept my problems as my own. I’m sorry that I sprung this out of the blue, I won’t mention it if it’s too much of a burden for you.” Well, Kiume, here comes your fear. He’ll tell everyone and you’ll be out on your ear.

Silver tilted his head a bit to the left, “I can understand that...but did you ever think that talking about it would help you cope? You can’t just keep yourself buried under that kind of grief without help. It’ll eat away at your soul.” He momentarily scanned the nearby houses, “I’m sure you’ll find that there are more residents here that would be willing to listen to your story than you think.”

Kiume frowned. “It could be that what you say is true,” he admitted. “Perhaps I’ll talk and tell a few. Is there anything I can do to repay the advice that you gave me today?”

The neckerchief-wearing pony raised both eyebrows, “...repay? No, no, that’s alright. I wouldn’t charge for that. Although...I would like it if you tried to spend more time with the rest of us. You know, chit-chat, play a few games, have some laughs. That kind of thing. Nothing soothes the spirit like a good round of friends.”

“I’ll bear in mind all that you’ve said,” the zebra nodded seriously. “I think I see brighter days ahead. I think I’ll take you up on your mine sight-see, whenever you have a day or two free.”

“Sure thing!” Silver grinned, “I’ll let you get back to your training now. Maybe we’ll see each other at supper? We can talk more about the mine then. Have a good day, Mr. Kiume!” The bat-pony waved a hoof and took his cloud back to a higher altitude. Maybe I got through to him some today. At least I gave him some hope for a better future. That’s what matters most.

FabledRuby

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 06, 2015, 10:31:37 pm »

23rd Hematite

The carpenters and masons were all quite busy today. Foundations were being laid and lumber was being secured. Dawn Star, Sweet Birch and Freija were currently working on the house immediately beside the first whereas Rosewood and Patina Dreams were beginning the assembly of the third. With their combined effort, things were coming together rather quickly.

Patina wipes the sweat from her brow, having just finished placing another corner stone for the foundation. "Wheew," Patina looks around, "We've made a lot of progress today."

Rosewood looked up from placing the wood flooring above the foundation, looking around proudly at their work. “Yeah, we have. This should be finished in no time, and another resident gets a house!”

“Do you know who this one is intended for, Rosewood?” Patina asks looking around, “I assume Mistress Isolde would want one of the first houses.”

“Yeah, and I think she deserves one. Hopefully she’ll get one of these ones. I wouldn’t mind swappin’ if she wanted to have the first house, bein’ our leader and all.”

Patina nods, “She probably plans to have a… well bigger nicer home made for herself, eventually, but I would expect her to want one of these in the meantime. Probably this one, or one of the ones the others are finishing up. At least for now. It was nice of her to let you have the first one. I guess she didn’t want you to rush the other’s homes while trying to get to yours.” Patina ends with a giggle.

Rosewood grinned. “Not t’mention it was my first house, and I’d rather have my first try be over my head so should anythin’ happen I know what not t’do for the others! I hope to make a really good house for her!”

Patina nods, "Indeed, you know, I heard they used to make the architect and construction leaders stand under archways when the last temporary supports were removed. If they messed up, it was on their heads... literally. Guess we are lucky we don't have to go that far."

Rosewood nodded too. “I have enough confidence in our skills that everything will stay standing for many years to come, knock on wood!” She tapped a hoof against the flooring. Then tilted her head. “Though perhaps some nails would be nice… Think I should write home and get some sent over as soon as possible?”

"Or even just for the raw materials... I could make whatever tools we need if I had some stronger metal to work with," Patina says.

“Should I ask Silver Rush if he’s found anything of the sort?” Rose knew she didn’t have much knowledge of materials in the mine, but there had to be something they could use for the time being.

Patina shakes her head, “No need, thank you, I’ll be one of the first to know if he does.”

“OK, I’ll keep working on this and stick to what I have knowledge of then!” Rose grinned again and resumed her laying the floor.

Patina returns to work as well, but keeps making conversation, "Where did you learn your skills Rosewood? You said that yours was your first house, what did you do before?"

“My dad had me helping make tables and chairs back home. Then when I got older I started helping draw designs for houses and carry things but until now I never actually built a house with my knowledge before.”

Patina nods, "I see, this is the first time I've actually seen first hand plans I've worked on being put together too. It's... a good feeling though."

“It’s a great feeling! I can’t wait to work on more!”

Patina and Rosewood chat a bit more as they finish the workday. Bidding farewell when Shortstack's dinner bell rings, they go their separate ways until tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 08:14:32 am by FabledRuby »

Amorack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2015, 11:47:47 am »

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 06:06:24 am by Amorack »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 07, 2015, 11:25:44 pm »

Sorry to hear that, but there's no hard feelings.  :(  I'll keep Gunther warm for you in the chance you change your mind later.  I doubt anyone is going to try to take him now anyway.

Isolde's Journal – 21st Hematite, 222

I just got through with handling one of the less pleasant sides of my job as administrator here.  Yesterday, Kiume informed me that he no longer wanted to be in charge of the guard, and while I can't fault him for it that left me with a large gap to fill and no obvious choices.

After calling the other guards in, Lucky included, I discussed it and quickly chose Shooting Star as his replacement.  She doesn't have much leadership experience, but I know her better than the others and trust her.  She also doesn't have a blood feud with any of the other guards, and I know that if I made Fargo captain I'd never hear the end of it from Lucky.  Worse, she might cause trouble and get someone hurt or killed.

It's not always fun being in charge, but I did what I had to.  I just have to hope that everything will settle down and I don't have to replace Shooting Star next.

1st Galena, 222

We had a wonderful little dinner show this afternoon, put on by Silver Rush and Tunda.  It was a nice little distraction from the usual lack of entertainment around town.  Gunther even asked me to dance, and while I don't know the first thing about it I hoped maybe if I joined him that it might get the others involved.  We had a few takers, and overall I'd say it was a very pleasant evening.

Afterward, the two asked if this could become a regular thing, happening on the first of every month.  I certainly have no objections, and agreed to allow them to put up a couple of fliers asking if anyone else wanted to join or contribute in some way.  Specifically they have a lack of instruments right now, and I agree that some music would go a long way toward enhancing the show.  Maybe if Rosewood and Patina don't have time to make any by the time we get our first caravan I can set aside some of the trade budget to acquire a few for them.

14th Galena, 222

To hopefully maintain high morale, I've decided to not spread ourselves quite so thin while working on construction projects.  Building the guardhouse, hospital and tavern at the same time is pretty much beyond our ability to do in a timely manner, so I've chosen the tavern to focus on first.  Having a new, more spacious place to eat should give everyone something to smile about.  I'm sure Shortstack will appreciate having a decent place to cook too.  Cooking over a campfire probably got old the third day we were out here.

In preparation of its completion, I drew up some quick plans with Patina's help for a cellar for food storage and set Silver Rush to work on it.  It should provide gracious plenty space for what we have now with room for expansion.

Hmm, now that I think about it, we should probably start considering expanding and moving the fields closer to the tavern and to a better organized location.  I'll mull that over and discuss it with Tunda the next time I see her.

26th Galena, 222

Well, the farmers are definitely busy now.  First, I'll start off with the 'bad' news.

We almost lost the halfway built tavern to a fire this morning, if you can believe it.  I suggested to Tunda that she could start clearing out space for a permanent set of fields behind the new tavern, and it seems that whoever she had helping her with that tried to clear it out with a controlled fire.  That's fine in theory, but it got out of control and burnt a lot of and shrubbery that we didn't want burnt and it nearly caught the tavern itself!

See, what had happened was... I actually mistyped some things with DFHack's Tiletypes command while trying to clear out some annoying pebbles and crap so I could put the farms down and accidentally cleared all of that space.  No real fires were involved, only imaginary ones.

Everything is under control now though and there's no smoldering left.

The better news is that she made sure to scrap that attempt and instead got some help with doing it the old fashioned way and has already made good progress.  So long as everyone is okay and everything is in one piece I'm happy, but we have to be more careful out here.

Even better, is that a lot of the cherry and plum trees nearby have started dropping their fruit now that it's ripe, so we've all taken some time away from the excitement of the flames to get some fresh fruit for Shortstack to incorporate into our next few meals.

9th Limestone, 222

Fargo approached me this afternoon with some mixed news.  First, the good news:

I rushed out to greet the newcomers as they rolled into our little proto-town, and I'm thankful they came by the partially assembled tavern and the houses.  From out east and up on the hill it doesn't look like there's much to Shadytrails.

After showing them around briefly and explaining how things are going, I met with Lute, the pegasus mare who is over the caravan.  She was happy to see that we're doing so well (singed grass aside), but I can tell she was hoping we'd have more to show her.

She was definitely hoping we'd have more to trade, and I take full responsibility for that shortcoming.  Even with all of the trinkets that Rosewood managed to make in her spare time, plus the odd little stone carving and some smelted lead bars, we weren't able to afford to trade for much.  I got some fine cloth and thread, plus a few fruits and plants we can't grow locally.  It wasn't much, but at least it shows we're willing to work with them.

I've made it a point to prioritize industrial development as soon as it's possible, since it would be very embarrassing indeed to have a repeat of this next year.

The bad news is that Fargo is planning to leave when they do.  I tried talking him out of it and offering as much as I could to sweeten the pot, as they say, but he wasn't having any of it.  Life is just too safe for him to feel useful here, so he's moving on.

I don't like having even fewer guards, much less losing one of the better adjusted ones, but it's not my choice.  He's not a formal contracted employee of the Prestigious Confederacy, so it's his right to leave when he pleases.  I'll just have to suck it up and prioritize finding a replacement for him even sooner.  I should probably start looking for one for Lucky immediately as well, since I sincerely doubt she's going to be here for the long haul eiher.

27th Limestone, 222

The caravan has been here and Lute tells me that they're going to stay for a little longer if we'll have them, since it's a long trek home and they're all very tired from the journey.  I can hardly blame them, and welcomed them to use what facilities we had for as long as they stayed.

One of Lute's other promises was fulfilled this morning though, when a small group of newcomers rolled into town along the same path:

An earth pony stallion carpenter named Alpine Ash,
A zebra mare farmer named Yusra,
A unicorn stallion mason named Marble Tiles,
A unicorn mare glass worker and jeweler named Crystal Clear and her husband,
A unicorn stallion guard named Gleaming Shield

It seems we got a lot of useful people, and at the very least this time I was able to show them somewhere halfway decent to rest and eat.  The tavern is still far from finished, but does have a serviceable dining area now, which can seat twice as many comfortably as we could before.  By the time the tavern is done it should be able to seat three times again as many, but that is some months off still.

I'm debating on changing priorities again on construction, but I think I'll wait and defer that decision until after I've figured out how to put our newcomers to best use.  If some of them can help contribute then we can get it done all the quicker.

If not the tavern itself, then the new fields out back definitely can use some new hooves and claws to tend them.

At least once we have these matters taken care of then we can focus on something other than just subsistence.

11th Sandstone, 222

I'm making the call now that work on the tavern has to be put on halt.  It's taking too long and we have too many people without personal shelter.  Right now it's complete enough that all of our food has been moved to the cellar and Shortstack can work indoors, but half of the first floor is still incomplete and we haven't begun on the second floor.  So, today, I asked Rosewood and Patina, who have been heading up the construction work, to focus on getting Shortstack's room completed upstairs so we can get to work on other things.  I think I'm going to focus on getting part of the hospital built next so Gunther has his own room and somewhere to work.  Bless him, he's been tolerating the conditions far better than I could have hoped.

Related to that, Tunda at least has good news.  She and her new helpers have planted for the autumn growing season already and she provided me with her current plans for our crop rotation.

Spring – Celery, strawberries, red beans, red spinach, leeks, rhubarbs
Summer – Longland grass, barley, rye, leeks, onions, celery
Autumn – Spelt, blueberries, millet, alfalfa, barley, onions
Winter – Fallow

I'm eager to expand our options some, but that's a respectable variety and I'm certain that having a few more flavors to cook with will improve both Shortstack's and everyone else's morale a bit.

Of course, there's no need to leave the farms fallow in winter because this is DF, but I'm doing it for realism's sake.

11th Sandstone, 222

I have some even better news today!  It seems that Fargo wasn't so keen to leave us behind after all.  When the caravan departed he left them to rejoin us!

I'm very happy to have him still with us.  A sensible griffon among the guard is going to go a long way, and he's been a dedicated and enjoyable citizen of the town so far.  I'm willing to forget the entire episode if he is, and I hope that he won't reconsider his reconsideration...

12th Sandstone, 222

Something very alarming has happened today.

Shooting Star came bursting into my office to tell me that Fargo had lost his mind!  I flew after her to see what she was trying to communicate, but I have to admit that when I got to the craftshop he'd commandeered I still had no idea.

He's just standing there, picking through the scraps of wood lying around and muttering something about 'Violetsmoke'.  Nobody knows what's wrong and he won't talk to anyone!  Not even Gunther knows what to make of it!

I'm currently at a loss for words.  Right now we're taking turns just... watching him to make sure he's okay.

18th Sandstone, 222

Much to everyone's relief, Fargo snapped out of his strange daze this morning during breakfast.  For whatever reason, he was working on what appeared to be a crown of all things.

He doesn't seem to have any idea why he made it or even how, since he has no real skill as a carpenter of any sort.  Regardless, it's nothing short of beautiful, and if it was made of gold it would be the envy of any king.

For now I simply don't know what to do about it.  He made it, and while it was done on company time and with a company workshop he's not employed for that so I can't just keep it or sell it.  I told him to do with it as he pleases, which he unsurprisingly didn't have any plans for.

Until he figures that out I've asked Gunther to take a look at him to make sure he's well, and to return to duty only if he feels fit for it.

I don't know what to do about this.  I really don't.  The caravan left and took my letter home with them already, so I can't ask for help if it could even get here in time to be useful.

There's little we can do about it... so... unless it happens again to someone else... we can't do a whole lot but hope it, well, doesn't happen again.

1st Timber, 222

At long last, Shortstack's room is ready to move into.  With that done and enough space in the tavern to let everyone eat at their leisure, I'm calling off further construction for now.  We're moving on to new housing again as well as the hospital.  That will be followed by the guard house...

I've been feeling a bit down lately, knowing how far behind we're getting.  Even with the new help we haven't produced anything of value in months, and still have a great many people without proper shelter.  Myself included...

I know it will be fixed in time, but that time can't come soon enough.

I tried drawing up a map of the entire town to put it all back into perspective, and maybe that's what has me feeling like we've accomplished so little.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Then again, maybe I shouldn't be so hard on myself since we did come out and put all this up in less than a year.

Nevertheless, we absolutely must go back to working on producing things to trade.  I know that we'll have more merchants showing up soon, since word will have gotten out that we're here by now.  It would be very embarrassing to have nothing to show.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 11:33:05 pm by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13