Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Yet-To-Be-Named Adventure Mod Concept  (Read 3609 times)

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
A Yet-To-Be-Named Adventure Mod Concept
« on: February 02, 2015, 05:33:57 pm »

[Note: My Modern Weapons Mod is on hiatus due to being the most tedious fucking thing ever to mod. Not abandoned, but I don't have the time to work on it right now.]

So, I've been thinking. There are quite a few weapons in vanilla Dwarf Fortress, but most of them (Artifact weapons notwithstanding) lack personality. So, I've written up a few concept weapons, and done some brainstorming, and this is sort of how this mod will work out.

So, while you'll be able to play as some other civs, the most basic will be the "adventurer" civilization. You'll start off with a relatively basic weapon, and you'll set off in the world. Depending on where you go, you'll be able to find different and better weapons and other things. For example, an arctic civilization would have different weapons and clothing (and possibly even different ways of speaking) than a civilization in a forest. There'll be a variety of new attacks for each weapon added in, as well as a unique description of the weapon in a handbook (just a .txt file, but you get the idea) that will come with the mod. So, you might come across a weapon like this:

Heirloom Longsword
Type: Longsword
Civ: Adventurer
A blade passed down from generation to generation among members of a single family. Some such swords are hundreds of years old, or even older. Although the craftsmanship among these types of weapons is generally quite good (as would be evidenced by the fact that the sword is still intact after all these years), the sentimental value far exceeds the actual price of these blades.

It would have some fairly standard longsword attacks (I'll probably do some reading on longsword fighting to get these), plus a special coup de grāce attack that could be used to finish off downed enemies. (Very powerful, but takes a long time to recover from.)

The goal of the mod is to make the game feel more textured and flavorful, like a really nice meal.
This is still in the concept phase, but I plan to start working on the actual mod soon enough to merit this thread being posted in the Mod Releases section.

I'd be much obliged if everyone who read this would give some imput, or ask any questions they might have.
Thanks!
Regards,
Dampe

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
Re: A Yet-To-Be-Named Adventure Mod Concept
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 05:52:22 pm »

Trying to figure out how to run Dwarf Fortress on my computer, but once I do I shall start this post-haste.
Regards,
Dampe

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 11:33:03 am »

I can't find a link right now for some reason but there's actually a new utility out that lets you include proper descriptions and whatnot in-game rather than in a manual that's shown in an item's z-screen instead of just "this is a heirloom longsword."

Edit: here it is.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=147707.0
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 11:41:16 am by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 07:33:34 pm »

I can't find a link right now for some reason but there's actually a new utility out that lets you include proper descriptions and whatnot in-game rather than in a manual that's shown in an item's z-screen instead of just "this is a heirloom longsword."

Edit: here it is.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=147707.0

HOLY JESUS.

I love you.
Regards,
Dampe

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 07:36:03 pm »

But, yeah, there's a couple WIP mods I've got under progress at the moment.
The modern weapons mod, this, and a WWII alternate-history idea of mine.

The latter two are easier to get done, and will be my main focus in terms of modding, but more on that another day.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 07:39:00 pm by Dampe »
Regards,
Dampe