Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [PRIVATE] LKM Bloodline Game  (Read 2941 times)

anthony62490

• Bay Watcher
  • Schlagen Sie auf die Erde!
    • View Profile
[PRIVATE] LKM Bloodline Game
« on: April 12, 2015, 09:48:50 pm »

Well, it's finally time to get the community in on a game. Any LKM members who want in are more than welcome. Just send Cukeman or myself a tweet and I'll add you.

Current Player List
1. Anthony
2. VKnight Computer died
3. Cukeman
4. LordKaT Skipped
5. Kiri3Tsubasa (Current)
6. open

We've chosen an evil embark with mist of unknown properties.
My turn is almost up. I will report back with the first year's progress.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 07:37:37 am by anthony62490 »

The Hadad

• Bay Watcher
  • Lighten up, it was funny!
    • View Profile
Re: [PRIVATE] LKM Bloodline Game
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 10:14:48 pm »

AKA "Derp Fortress"
>Unnecessary detail
>Dwarf Fortress.

Excuse me?

anthony62490

• Bay Watcher
  • Schlagen Sie auf die Erde!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 12:53:09 am »

Journal of Anthony Geshudusen,
15th of Granite: I have arrived in my new home. I think the expedition leader called it Boweldepths. Charming. Already I am beginning to become suspicious of my surroundings.
What is this crap? Purple trees? Eyeballs growing from the ground? I'm no expert on surface flora, but my botany researchers have informed me that this is not normal. We need to get underground and fast.

First order of business is to get everyone and everything inside. I see mist on the horizon and I don't like the look of it. This new room can probably be used as a supply room later, but for now, it's a chaotic mess. I'll sort that out when we're not in danger of melting.

3rd of Sandstone: Workshops and storage space is completed. Farms are operational. Rudimentary barracks are being built.
Booze supply is dangerously low. Please send help.

20th of Sandstone: Booze supply has been stabilized for now. Work is being done on organizing the workshops and stockpiles. Digging out a two-layer stockpile system to keep the workshops close to the supplies.

2nd of Moonstone: Winter is here now. No sign of invaders yet, but we still need to put together some form of military. I have organized a new militia and ordered them to begin training.

18th of Opal: Scouts are reporting a strange mist rolling in from the edge of our land. I'm not sure what it is, but I don't like it. All dwarves are ordered to stay inside until further notice. I am beginning to become leery of the murk. I think it may be time to step down as leader of this fortress.

1st of Granite: My time as leader is up. All in all, the year has been uneventful. As my final commission, I have ordered a tomb built for me behind the new stockpiles. Best of luck to my replacement.

You're up, Vknight Cukeman. Make us proud.
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10779
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 01:54:22 am by anthony62490 »

The Hadad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 03:06:18 pm »

3rd Granite 254
Running a bit behind--got the memo about my predecessor disappearing under mysterious circumstances at the last minute--but I'm here now. And hey, two days late isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things, right?

Anyway, I'm told these exercises show the merit of fortress leaders better than anything. After looking over this fort that I'm assured has had a full year to set itself up, I'm starting to see why. I got my work cut out for me here. Admittedly, I do like what's been done with the layout so far--check this out.

On the lower left there you can see the fort's entrance. It opens to the surface one level up. Then over on the right, you can see an open space for a bunch of workshops. The entrance is a small hillock over to the side, while the fort proper is in another, larger hill. Also, I admit the two-layer workshop/stockpile set up deeper inside the fort is quite clever.

There's also farms set up for the essential underground crops close to those workshops, so that's good. But that's about all that's good here. You see the first problems before you even go inside:

Problem one: A butcher shop. Not inside the fortress, but right next to the entrance. A safety hazard, exposing workers to the sun, sky, and whatever monsters are lurking in the tentacle grass. That's gotta be moved inside.

Problem two: Stone- and cage traps in the entrance. A fine idea in theory, since security is important. But they're blocking the path to the trade depot. Diplomatic relations between the mountainhomes and surrounding civilizations mandate that the path to the trade depot be accessible to their wagons and unobstructed by traps. On top of just being rude, loss and damage to transport and/or cargo falls on the merchants (unless we show signs of active aggression). In other words, no merchant's gonna try trading if they gotta step around any traps to get inside. Those will have to go, too. We can secure the entrance with a drawbridge.

Problem three: Look back at that first image. See those three tables and chairs? That's all we got for a dining room. Insulting.

Problem four: Those ten beds? All we have for civilian sleeping areas. No private space or storage for anyone? Also insulting.

Problem five: There's plenty of food around here, and a still has been set up, but we have no kitchen. No kitchen! This may be a fortress, but dwarves still have to live here. The least that can be done is to make it as pleasant as possible. Also, I specified civilian sleeping areas because...

Problem six:

Barracks. A fortress of only fourteen dwarves (and a child), and the previous overseer (Anthony, he calls himself) saw fit to take over a third of their number (including himself) and force them into military training. Again, I understand defense is a major concern, but these are not military officers, they're craftsdwarves and laborers! If you must have a draft, fine, we'll have a draft, but not when numbers are so tight and so much is left to be done. Speaking of things left to be done...

Problem seven: Everything discussed above? That's the extent of the fortress. That and nearly four hundred logs that appear to be made of cockflesh instead of wood. There's been precious little in the way of industry here! I've seen this site's prospect report--there's coal and iron to be found in these mountains, and not a bit of effort was made to unearth any of it! Anthony had set up a military before he even had any weapons or armor forged! And Anthony is the most skilled blacksmith here!

Problem eight: We have no broker or manager. We have a book keeper, but it's Anthony again. I'm amazed the dwarf even knows how to count.

Problem nine: Anthony also demanded a tomb for himself to be built. I'll not understand these rotational overseers' fascination with such things, but whatever. That's not the problem here.

The problem is, apparently Anthony, not content enough to cripple the labor force with a military, also demanded that another five able-bearded workers to pretty up his nonsense--four to fill a moat, and another to smooth the walls and floors. I'll let him keep it--if for no other reason that it'll save time. But I'm making it the exploratory mine shaft.

I got a lot of work to do.
>Unnecessary detail
>Dwarf Fortress.

Excuse me?

The Hadad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 02:44:34 pm »

17 Granite

The miners have dug out space for proper bedrooms, an interior butcher shop, and two smelting furnaces. The cook and brewer are making as much booze and prepared meals as they can, the mason's making furniture, and everyone else's keeping everything moving. Next step, find iron and coal (and dig out any precious stones we find along the way. Gem cutting and setting is lucrative).

Frustratingly, Anthony failed to expose any such veins up to now. On the plus side, there's some limonite visible on the surface. Just a shame that it's near the bottom of the mountain.

May as well get that taken care of, though. Sooner the miners can clear those out, the sooner they can start digging from inside where it's safe.

Oh sweet priority and automining. Young'uns today don't know the agony of having to micro-manage how your miners did their digging.

23 Granite

Praise Armok, liginite! And in a cluster of bauxite to boot--meaning there's almost certainly ruby and/or sapphire veins nearby.

8 Slate

HAH! See what happens when you try to do some work done? You get results!

25 Slate

Uh oh. Here they come...

...what the hell are they doing?

2 Felsite
They're still coming in, but we've now got a population of 41. If we can get everyone housed, it'll be a miracle.

14 Felsite

Oh FUCK OFF. There's too much work to do! Needless to say, I ended that nonsense immediately.

Man, the mason just can't get rocks to the worshop fast enough.

20 Felsite

Very pretty. Now start making pots for the brewer.

6 Malachite
Naturally, once we finished giving everyone their own bed, 12 more migrants arrive.

25 Malachite

Today is a monumentous day--the metalsmithing industry begins in Boweldepths!

15 Galena

Honestly? I'm mostly annoyed by the fact that he won't be learning anything useful from this.

Incidentally, everyone's got a bedroom now, so we've got some breathing room at last. Doesn't mean we've got less work to do--everyone's either hauling materials or making coke and iron (assuming there's not something more specialized they can do). A gem setter would be really nice, though...

26 Galena

...Is that name supposed to be a political statement, or...?

5 Limestone

Time for Anthony to earn his keep around here, at long last.

14 Limestone

Aw, jeez. Hope what we got's enough to trade with...

Ingish Fortresshelp and I met with the baronness consort to give the annual report.

Uh. Good to know?
We ask for plenty of booze, meat, and garden vegetables. Here's what the mountainhomes need:

Afterwards, we traded with the merchants. Got some booze, barrels, meat, leather, cloth, cheese, seeds, bags and some silver bolts for the purposes of melting them down. We gave several of the stone crafts we had lying around (and excess quivers), but the merchants were quite insistant on taking a large sapphire and a large amethyst. I decided to go with it, since there are still plenty of gem crafts left. That said, I really hope we can get a gem setter soon...

14 Sandstone
Either there's an error in our stocks, or we didn't get any bars from melting down those bolts. Fantastic.

20 Sandstone
The last migrant wave of the year has arrived. 17 newcomers, seven of which are children. Also an engraver and a couple doctors. It's at this point I decide to appoint Ast Focuswhipped as the chief medical dwarf. Also, apparently we had elections at some point and Ingish got elected as mayor.

(She of course chooses now to go on break)

16 Timber

Mm, I'd say that's probably a decent amount of coal and iron for now. My gut says there's more, but I'll leave that to the next overseer(s). I'd like to try to breach the underground caverns before the year's up.

And there it is. Excellent.

21 Timber

Oh uhm... hm. Looks like I had found the second cavern and then accidentally hit the first, too. Oh well. Beats having to find it later.

And there's the second.

1 Moonstone
Anthony finished the first set of weapons and armor just as winter begins. I asign the four dwarves with military training (and one otherwise-skilless fuck) to Anthony's squad and set them to work.

7 Moonstone

What the?

Oh dear. This could be a problem. In other news, a crotchgoblin became an adult. He shows promising creativity, so I have him try his hand at gem setting.

10 Moonstone
Dastot's conscious again. Apparently it was just a burst of dizziness and fever. I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.

Also, with the caves exposed, I have the miners dig out a space for an eventual underground pasture.

10 Opal
There are too many crundles in the caverns. At least the military's getting some good combat experience.

28 Opal

...Arright, if you insist.

Looks like the last accomplishment in my time as overseer is going to be establishing this hostpital. Put it next to the stockpiles (the ones under the workshops) because I couldn't find a better place to put it.

Note to the next overseer: consider widening spaces. There's a lot of congestion going on.

10 Obsidian

...Man, I'm not even sure why you bothered.

14 Obsidian

Have fun with that!

....oh dear, it's inside the fort. This is bad.

Turns out giant cave spiders aren't as tough as they look. I'm almost disappointed.

1 Granite 255
Well, my term's over. Nothing terribly unusual to report. I'm starting to think we might be a bit too isolated out here, what with the lack of goblins and elves and humans around. Still, productivity's up and we're in good shape. Here's to Boweldepths' future.

--

Here's the save.. LK's turn at bat.
>Unnecessary detail
>Dwarf Fortress.

Excuse me?