Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29

Author Topic: Re: Bloodlines of the Forii (Phoebus 40.24) - Save file too corrupted - sry guys  (Read 66305 times)

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodlines of the Forii (Phoebus 40.24)
« Reply #210 on: March 02, 2015, 03:52:27 am »

Pffffft.  It's just a minor clan. No one cares about them and they breed like vermin.  Meatshields are a renewable resource, xominxac.

And I wouldn't "execute" them unless I had a good reason.

Well, all I have to say to that is that you should be prepared for the ocassion should your own dwarves be turned into meatshields. With that kind of attitude I can't help but wonder of the condition of your own dwarves.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 02, 2015, 04:23:53 am »

Quick hypothetical question:  if I chose to execute a Minor Clan under my influence, what sort of repercussions could I expect?  Is that even allowed, meta?

And if not, what exactly is stopping me from conscripting the clan and putting them on the front-lines?  After all, to enjoy the affluence of the Clan of the Saints and the wealth that comes with it, lives must be put on the line.

Your life. 

On my line.

Hypothetically, there's nothing stopping you from executing or otherwise abusing any members of any Clan that happen to wander into your sphere of influence, but the affected Forii aren't actually injured by this, just inconvenienced.  A Forii who has just had their Minor Clan wiped arbitrarily off the map might decide to set up a "death cult" Clan of Saint-killing mercenaries at a rival Forii's fortress now that they are free to create a new Clan and plan to wage a genocidal war against your Clan in retribution by contributing Adventurer companions with an over-arching mission to arrange your entire Clan's butchered hearts neatly in piles on the altars of your now desecrated temples.  It may take that Forii a few (in-game) decades and the lives of a few Minor Clans to really get their revenge, but what's a few decades to a being that exists outside of time?  (A really vindictive Forii might go get some other Forii pals from out in the deep aether to come set up Minor Clans with similar goals in all the other Major Clan's areas too, to make your Clan worry just that little bit more...)

If, as we've seen with Big D just now, one of the Minor Clans suddenly rises in power to become an active Major Power, they'll be getting two years to start up their Clan-home too, which leaves you ripe for NPC invasion for at least eight seasons.  An imaginative Forii might just use that fact to their advantage when choosing where to site their Clan Home in relation to any militant nations with expansionist tendencies and diplomats that could be royally pissed off for some reason.  During their tenure, their wrath will probably extend to any of your people who wander into their sphere of influence too, so it would become a proper blood feud with all the bad thoughts and loyalty cascades those tend to create. That doesn't even touch the more subtle tortures such as blaming your Clan members for every crime and watching gleefully as all of their skills rust away to nothing in the jails, before releasing them to migrate again or dropping them down into purpose-built labyrinths stocked with were-creatures to survive however they may.  Hypothetically speaking, there's really no end to the shenanigans a "properly motivated" Forii can do to be a pain, a hindrance or even a stone cold nemesis.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 04:57:59 am by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 02, 2015, 04:48:12 am »

I hand thee +1 Internet's. Use it wisely.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 02, 2015, 04:18:38 pm »

With that kind of attitude I can't help but wonder of the condition of your own dwarves.

>Puts other dwarves on the front line so mine don't have to fight

Yeah, I'm real mean to my dwarves. e_e

And fine, I get it, "don't disrespect anyones dwarves!!!1!" because god forbid if there's any conflict in this world.  Just a bunch of Fortresses with dwarves not talking to each other.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 02, 2015, 04:30:05 pm »

I thought you believed in elvish "mercy" saint, or am I forgetting your 3 core values
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Elagn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 02, 2015, 04:33:28 pm »

I would like to start a minor clan: Olon-Ekur "Gearmighty". Start it from the next fort that has a person with the profession of mechanic and is married. In case it isn't blatantly obvious, the clan will specialize in mechanics.
"Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" Einstein

"Measure what is measurable and make measurable what is not so" Galileo

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 02, 2015, 04:53:23 pm »

What exactly is stopping me from conscripting the clan and putting them on the front-lines?

And fine, I get it, "don't disrespect anyones dwarves!!!1!" because god forbid if there's any conflict in this world.  Just a bunch of Fortresses with dwarves not talking to each other.

Just as you care for the dwarves in your clan, even the dwarves in minor clans are cared for (hopefully this is true of all clans, unless you're specifically going for some kind of prison clan or something). The issue isn't with conflict or conscription really but the motive behind doing so and the fact that if done so without any agreement with the minor clan in regard. Want to send their troops off to war? Speak with the minor clan Forii and see if they're fine with it, if not try to come up with an agreement. You can still send their troops off to war but that's where 

"death cults" might wage a genocidal war against your (any) Clan in retribution. Hypothetically speaking, there's really no end to the shenanigans a "properly motivated" Forii can do to be a pain, a hindrance or even a stone cold nemesis.

can come in. With that in mind do what you feel like, not like anyone can

Hypothetically, there's nothing stopping you from executing or otherwise abusing any members of any Clan that happen to wander into your sphere of influence.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 02, 2015, 05:46:43 pm »

With that kind of attitude I can't help but wonder of the condition of your own dwarves.

No need to be sore - I expect tensions will start rising regardless how polite we all are to each-other.  Besides, Forii are known to get bored from time to time and may choose to instigate a little war because they want to see the world burn.  That's just all part of the fun and games.  Heck we don't even have the Clan Homes all set up yet, so all this mid-game talk's premature anyway.

With all the random adventurers zipping around on various missions and NPC armies, werebeasts, ect... also adding to the general chaos, I think we should have enough to keep us from being TOO bored.

I think the moral isn't "don't disrespect anyone else's dorfs", it's "mess with the other guy's dorfs, but be prepared for the reactions first."  (This IS a world based on a chessboard after all...)

Besides, those slope-browed Murderpaddles bastards are probably too dumb to know how ugly they are.  Seen one and you've seen em all.  Probably have a troll or two hidden in their ancestry, poor dumb brutes.  It's not their fault they're good for nothing but moving loads around...  Don't even get me started on those Deepsons: Always thinking they're Armok's Gift because they can stick a bit of metal between two stones... and those Gearmighty creeps: every single one has shifty eyes.  Think they're too clever by half. (heehee)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 06:15:31 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 02, 2015, 06:06:29 pm »

I thought you believed in elvish "mercy" saint, or am I forgetting your 3 core values

What's more merciful than relieving an inferior dwarf of their meaningless life? >: \

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 02, 2015, 06:12:31 pm »

American tourists in a French prison are always thought to be the most polite:  No matter how much you beat and starve them they're always shouting
"Merci! Merci!"

;D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 06:14:30 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 02, 2015, 06:31:53 pm »

Catching up on the thread.  Do you want me to take my turn, or slot in the Itsatrap! clan first in Big Dimension's place?
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 02, 2015, 07:11:47 pm »

when exactly did that picture appear in the op  :o
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 02, 2015, 07:26:21 pm »

Save downloaded.  Starting my playthrough.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

The Big D

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes bears for their fuzzy-wuzzyness
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 03, 2015, 04:13:38 pm »

A couple days ago. Lookin forward to it iituem.
I just have this terrible mental picture of this beet-looking thing bursting out of someone's stomach and being like "Neeeeed phosphaaaaates"
If it's magma resistant, mod it so it's not!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 05, 2015, 02:27:50 am »

Lots more playthrough to come, but I've already injured several of my dwarves in a mining accident and then had the hospital destroyed repeatedly by a feral troll.  Fun times.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29