Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make a noble position restricted to certain dwarves...without castes  (Read 1271 times)

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile

Situation: I'm making a religion mod to thematically complement the upcoming temple update. Among other things, I want religious dwarves to have special noble positions available only to them.

Problem: I know this can be accomplished with castes or creature classes, but I don't think that's an option for me. I'm including the capability for dwarves to be 'converted' via an interaction. Importantly, I want them to retain their physical characteristics when converted, which I just determined (and received confirmation) was not possible if I used a CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION to change their caste.

Potential Workarounds: I'm not aware of any way to add a CREATURE_CLASS via interaction, or to make the position be selective based on a syndrome/syndrome class, etc., but I would like to. Somehow. Is there some way I can restrict the position to require a special body part? Or a tag that CAN be modified? Or dependent on some skill that I can mod in? - maybe I could make it election-based and reliant upon that skill instead of social skills, if that's possible.

I guess in the end the physical characteristics don't matter that much, but it's a realism thing. As is, it will bug me to no end - and make it feel like a cheaty way to potentially turn weaklings into buff guys. (Besides dwarf-to-dwarf conversion, I'm including...certain ways to force dwarves to convert, which could be abused.) I really don't want to change the balance of the game in any way, unless it's to make it harder. If all else fails, I guess I could try to imagine the physical changes as mental ones in disguise - religion making people more brave (stronger) or peaceful (weaker) :P But I really would appreciate a proper solution if there is one.

Thanks in advance!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Make a noble position restricted to certain dwarves...without castes
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 12:39:48 am »

In general, if it's not listed on the wiki (in this case under the "Position_token" page) the functionality doesn't exist.  So your options are caste or creature_class.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 10:48:41 am »

Is there any utility akin to DF Hack - not modifications to the raws - that would help me out here?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 12:40:11 pm »

DFHack can do most things, if you're willing to write a script for it.  But I don't think that such a script currently exists.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 02:47:21 pm »

DFHack can do most things, if you're willing to write a script for it.  But I don't think that such a script currently exists.
Can DFHack arbitrarily assign a noble position to any citizen?  More appropriately, can it filter the list of dwarves eligible to fill a position... or remove the position from a dwarf deemed by the script to be unworthy?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 03:44:48 pm »

Yes, yes and yes.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 09:05:10 pm »

So...there wasn't any information on writing DFHack scripts on the DFHack forum post. Anyone know a good resource that they can throw me? Will search more thoroughly soon. I just have no idea how difficult it would even be - how much knowledge of DF's programming I need, and how much is just making new stuff.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 10:47:45 pm »

Thanks, man! That'll be a great help. I appreciate it.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 06:37:28 pm »

also if i recall correctly DFHack can call functions from a modded interactions, but never tried just seen the idea and found it can be powerful.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime