Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ☼Kobolds☼ - Masterwork Rexborn  (Read 5170 times)

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
☼Kobolds☼ - Masterwork Rexborn
« on: February 04, 2015, 07:03:09 pm »

NOT THE OFFICIAL MEPH MASTERWORK REBORN. INSTEAD IT'S REXBORN. GET IT?

I'm going to be creating a modmod to re-include my own particular vision of kobolds for Masterwork.

My particular vision is:
- Dumb as bricks and weak dog-lizards. Fast breeding, hordes of them and they are relatively speedy, but they are incompetent physically and mentally.
- Very weak weapons and technology.
- Simplified race. Probably the most simple out of all on offer.
- Low tech tree. Highest will probably be making copper weapons.
- Most defense based off their interaction with dinosaur-beasts, such as triceratops etc.
- Fast breeding and low tech means an easy bounce back from any negative situation.
- Can't dig stone (possibly not dig at all) but can transform wood into lots of rickety boards.
- Possibly egg laying to allow for controlled population explosions.

Kobolds will be simple, weak and incompetent, but quite capable of bouncing back from even having 2/3 of them wiped out as they quickly rebreed and mature. Their best defense will be a few of their relatively tough dinosaurs tied up nearby, but the worst of them will likely only be as bad as an elephant and much more expensive.

The challenge in kobolds won't be in complexity of gameplay, technology or optimisation, but the simple struggle of day to day survival. Pick kobolds if you want subsistence farming and the challenge of feeding fifty kobolds who can quickly cause an explosion in population (and then starvation due to typical kobold planning).

Does anyone have any suggestions?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 07:05:31 pm by Rex Invictus »

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: ☼Kobolds☼ - Masterwork Rexborn
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 02:17:11 am »

kobold camp is already a thing.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 05:48:11 am »

kobold camp is already a thing.

You make a good point.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 10:24:15 am »

I think I remember Smake advising you to talk to me first. While I'm not averse to the fact that someone else is writing a civ (which takes off work from my schedule), I'd be glad if you'd discuss it with me first. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 02:04:43 pm »

I think I remember Smake advising you to talk to me first. While I'm not averse to the fact that someone else is writing a civ (which takes off work from my schedule), I'd be glad if you'd discuss it with me first. ^^

I've been trying to ask. :'(

I might strip it out, do it as an update for Kobold Camp and then see if you'd like to implement it.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 02:11:12 pm »

Not sure if you're proposing to replace the existing kobolds or just share your own mod-mod.  If it's the latter then good luck and godspeed :)  (...In the OP here it sounds like mod-mod, in the other thread it sounds like you want to work on the "official" version)

If it's the former i'd ask to confirm for the sake of discussion, that you're proposing to remove starsigns, thieving, warpaint, advanced leatherworking, etc.? Basically everything you didn't mention is gone?  It sounds overly simple for my tastes, but I know the original simple kobold camp was fairly popular.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 03:19:00 pm »

If I'd remake the kobolds, they would be simpler too. The thieving doesnt work that well, if you cant trigger attacks that way, and the force event script doesnt work with that anymore.

I'd certainly make the part a bit smaller, with kobolds remaining to be a hard mode to play. I wouldnt mind someone else having a go at them, but please discuss the features a lot.

It's not your mod to make, its a community effort. I often throw away features that I personally like, because the people voted against them. You might end up adding things you might not even like, because other people do like them.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 04:06:13 pm »

Not sure if you're proposing to replace the existing kobolds or just share your own mod-mod.  If it's the latter then good luck and godspeed :)  (...In the OP here it sounds like mod-mod, in the other thread it sounds like you want to work on the "official" version)

If it's the former i'd ask to confirm for the sake of discussion, that you're proposing to remove starsigns, thieving, warpaint, advanced leatherworking, etc.? Basically everything you didn't mention is gone?  It sounds overly simple for my tastes, but I know the original simple kobold camp was fairly popular.

Pretty much my own mod-mod. I would like it to be official, but that all depends on Meph's opinion and the community's.

Certainly remove thieving. Possibly warpaint, too. I was considering re-working kobolds to be much closer to the D&D and Pathfinder version, where they are dog-lizard things and the differences are primarily based off scale colour. Maybe not advanced leatherworking.

To me, the difficulty of kobolds should be in just keeping the little bastards alive, not in a complex tech tree.

If I'd remake the kobolds, they would be simpler too. The thieving doesnt work that well, if you cant trigger attacks that way, and the force event script doesnt work with that anymore.

I'd certainly make the part a bit smaller, with kobolds remaining to be a hard mode to play. I wouldnt mind someone else having a go at them, but please discuss the features a lot.

It's not your mod to make, its a community effort. I often throw away features that I personally like, because the people voted against them. You might end up adding things you might not even like, because other people do like them.

I mean, the starting thing would be whether to go with the usual DF kobolds (who are basically little rat-monkeys) or to go with more D&D-based kobolds (who are dog-lizards). As it stands, they definitely lay eggs, so I was going to roll with that.

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 12:19:27 pm »

Have you tested the egg-laying?  As I recall, there were some severe issues with egg-laying entity members not reproducing correctly. Also cannibalism.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 12:45:56 pm »

Yeah, egg-laying civs wont work well.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 12:48:26 pm »

Cannibalism is, whilst a bit weird, relatively fine. I might make the kobold shells inedible and that should solve the cannibalism issue.

What was the issue with not reproducing correctly?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 12:58:06 pm »

Sorry, but even if you enable eating sentient beings, your kobolds will never eat civ-members, thats hardcoded. The eggs dont work well, because the females would have to sit on nestboxes, if they leave to do jobs, eat or sleep, the eggs dont hatch. Its possible to work around that, but its horrible micromanagement for the player. Dont do it. I know the official kobolds lay eggs, but I removed that, because Toady One never wrote anything to support playing an egg-laying civ.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 01:52:17 pm »

Sorry, but even if you enable eating sentient beings, your kobolds will never eat civ-members, thats hardcoded. The eggs dont work well, because the females would have to sit on nestboxes, if they leave to do jobs, eat or sleep, the eggs dont hatch. Its possible to work around that, but its horrible micromanagement for the player. Dont do it. I know the official kobolds lay eggs, but I removed that, because Toady One never wrote anything to support playing an egg-laying civ.

From what I've read so far, the eggs WILL eventually hatch as long as the females go back to them now and again (probably requires a total nesting time of 3 months or whatever), it's the issue with having the eggs taken to the stockpile that causes trouble.

However, from what else I've read, it's possible to make eggs not count as food by setting one of their layers as inedible.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 12:41:41 pm »

From what I've read so far, the eggs WILL eventually hatch as long as the females go back to them now and again (probably requires a total nesting time of 3 months or whatever), it's the issue with having the eggs taken to the stockpile that causes trouble.

However, from what else I've read, it's possible to make eggs not count as food by setting one of their layers as inedible.
No, once the egg layer leaves the nest box the egg immediately dies.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 02:47:23 pm »

No, once the egg layer leaves the nest box the egg immediately dies.

If I can't get it to work, I'll just end up removing all intelligence tags from females. >.>
Pages: [1] 2