Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: The Civilization Cookbook  (Read 23106 times)

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Civilization Cookbook
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2015, 02:39:16 pm »

I've been playing with adding creatures lately, and the description of the PET tag is misleading. It's entirely possible for non-exotic pets to be absent from the embark screen if the civ never encounters them. Only the COMMON_DOMESTIC tag guarantees putting a creature on the embark list, and this also gives it to the human civs.

So is the PET tag necessary or not? I ask because I am sick of migrants showing up with livestock as pets, but I do want to be able to buy them on embark and from caravans. Other than cats and dogs (and really I'd rather be able to train all my dogs for war) I don't want any animals in the fort that aren't butcherable livestock.
An animal needs [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC] to be domesticated at all.  So, yes you have the weirdness of people having livestock as family pets.  There might be a way to sever the pet relationship when an animal arrives on the map, but that's DFHackery above my skill level.

Crap! Glad I saw this thread before I went and took all the [PET] tags out.
Thanks!
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2015, 06:04:30 pm »

In relation to semi/mega beasts taking over civs, in 34 I got this to happen all the time in my mods. The power tag, ability to learn and speak, and the right sphere allocation between the beast and civ was all it took then. I vaguely remembering some !!science!! done which linked the number of spheres in common to the likelihood of a beast posing as a god and taking over the civ.

For example:
A hydra with the spheres of muck, caverns, deformity and darkness will often take over a civ that has muck, caverns, deformity, and darkness.

The same hydra will occasionally take over a civ which only has muck and deformity.

That hydra will never take over a civ that has none of the spheres.

If this is still true for the newest version, then some simple sphere twinking can increase the takeover rate and also be used to make certain creatures be more likely to take over civs. I had a world where a demon lead a goblin civ against a dragon's human civ while dwarves worshiped an amethyst colossus megabeast that I made. With perfect civ to beast sphere match ups takeovers were super common.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Usul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2015, 08:11:38 pm »

Don't forget the [ALLOWED_CREATURE:] and [ALLOWED_CLASS:] tags, they are helpful if you have a lot of megabeast sharing the same spheres.

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2015, 08:39:06 am »

Couple of questions :

How does the [SKULKING] token influence hostility? Can you still be allies with a [SKULKING] civ if it belongs to the same faction as yours?

If a creature has [UTTERANCES] but [CAN_SPEAK], which one prevails? Will it be able to form treaties or have allies?

Are cave civs always hostile? I've seen them become friendly at occasions, notably when fighting megabeasts. Does this kind of behavior ever occur anymore as of .40.24 and under what conditions does it occur?

Are Megabeasts/Demons always independent from one another? Will a demon from a goblin civ be hostile toward a demon from hell?

Is it ever possible to mod the game such that a civ may trade with you and invade/steal from you at the same time?

Usul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2015, 01:33:38 pm »

1-Concerning the SKULKING tag, from the wiki
This makes the severity of attacks depend on the extent of item/baby thievery rather than the passage of time.

2-If you look at the OP:
Some caveats: Creatures without the ability to communicate will always be hostile, even if they technically would be considered the same faction.  They will also wage endless wars, since they lack the ability to form treaties.  This includes creatures without CAN_SPEAK (or INTELLIGENT, which is functionally CAN_LEARN and CAN_SPEAK combined).  Creatures with UTTERANCES cannot communicate with other civs, however if they have both UTTERANCES and CAN_SPEAK they will be able to communicate.

5-There are factions in the game. From the OP:
Spoiler: The Four Factions (click to show/hide)
Maybe if both civs have [ITEM_THIEF] ? It's worth trying.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2015, 05:35:40 pm »

How does the [SKULKING] token influence hostility? Can you still be allies with a [SKULKING] civ if it belongs to the same faction as yours?
As I know, this tag disables all "govermental stuff". Thus skulking civs neither do any diplomacy (or traiding) nor pick up fights (if there's a war during worldgen, they won't even resist the attackers; however, skulking civs are very rare to participate in wars).

Don't know if that was mentioned already, but the [BABYSNATCHER] tag seems to significantly boost civ's "level of aggression", e.g. they wage wars much more often than those lacking it.

I'm currently trying to make a research on what else determines the said "level". Almost identical civs can have quite different behaviour in worldgen. DF politics is a weird thing indeed.

Also, do anyone knows what determines the civ to have site ownership conflicts?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 05:43:56 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2015, 06:27:53 pm »

Is it ever possible to mod the game such that a civ may trade with you and invade/steal from you at the same time?
No, it's the same for baby snatchers. Source:Playing lots of masterwork dwarf fortress or personal mods as item_thief or babysnatcher civs. It's because they only steal or snatch from people they're enemies with, and if you're allied with them, you're not enemies. Whether they will send thieves if you end up in an actual war over ethics or something is something i do not know, but would guess yes.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2015, 05:04:36 pm »

Not exactly what you asked for, but:
If a traiding civ is populated by creatures with CURIOUSBEAST_x tag, said creatures WILL steal everything on sight. Even their own goods. However, as I could say, it only works in fortress mod. Also, it's especially weird, if such civ is playable: early in the beginning all your citizens will grab stuff from the wagon and go to hang around in the meeting area forever.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Severedicks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2015, 09:01:24 am »

Are cave civs always hostile? I've seen them become friendly at occasions, notably when fighting megabeasts. Does this kind of behavior ever occur anymore as of .40.24 and under what conditions does it occur?
Seconding this. The wiki is not very informative about this, even the wiki article about factions won't say much.

sirvente

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2015, 02:39:32 am »

Worked this one out a few nights ago, despite what magmawiki says [DEFAULT_SITE:FORTRESS] is functional, but weird. You can't have any positions in the entity with [CHAT_WORTHY] or the game crashes, this includes the variable positions so don't use those. Leaving that aside you've got a civ that won't build any more sites and for some reason seems to not be targetable for wars, so it could be useful for more esoteric races.

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2015, 08:21:15 pm »

Seconding this. The wiki is not very informative about this, even the wiki article about factions won't say much.
That article is now severely outdated with the new versions coming up and relationships becoming increasingly complex depending on values, ethics and entity. I guess more research is needed.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
  • Looks like cat for dinner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2015, 12:48:48 pm »

This is incredibly useful, thank you!
Advanced Civilizations (0.40.X+)

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2020, 01:00:55 pm »

Bumping this up, since there's a lot of civ-related questions.  The front page needs to be updated somewhat (it still has outdated info on pets and livestock), but most of it still holds true, at least as far as settlement and biomes are concerned.  What are the new changes that need to be added?  Also, has anyone figured out how to make dark fortresses not cause worldgen crashes?

Beakromancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2020, 08:27:19 pm »

Bumping this up, since there's a lot of civ-related questions.  The front page needs to be updated somewhat (it still has outdated info on pets and livestock), but most of it still holds true, at least as far as settlement and biomes are concerned.  What are the new changes that need to be added?  Also, has anyone figured out how to make dark fortresses not cause worldgen crashes?

The crashes are probably being caused by certain positions having the [CHAT_WORTHY] tag.

Edit: nvm this fact was already stated in the OP
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 08:30:31 pm by Beakromancer »
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2021, 10:15:04 am »

New version needs new science.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5