Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: MekHQ - "Just how does it work?" edition  (Read 72465 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: MekHQ - "Just how does it work?" edition
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2015, 02:30:00 pm »

Thanks, i'll try to get an account there to check those rules.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2015, 02:32:13 pm »

Thanks, i'll try to get an account there to check those rules.

Yeah, if you want, I have the latest version of the rules, I could just upload em to dropbox and post a link here for all of you guys if you'd like.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2015, 02:52:59 pm »

I just got those rules (version 2.30 , not sure if it's latest, wasn't expecting them to be in an xls file).
If you have some space, it would be certainly a good idea to post a mirror for people that can't make an account on the battletech website.

Professor Lemur

• Bay Watcher
  • Not as cool as your glasses, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 02:59:02 pm »

very helpful stuff and a vote here
Do you feel like being Lemur's Little Helper Xardalas?  :)
Quick edit: Already amended the OP with your vote.
Yet another edit: I'm currently in the process of downloading MekHQ 0.3.10 + Against the Bots. Once they're installed, I'll be putting a link up where you can download the end result. This may take a while so please have patience.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 03:07:01 pm by Professor Lemur »
You can lead a horse to water, you can leave your horse behind.
'Cause your horse don't dance and if he don't dance, then he's no horse of mine.
ASK ME ABOUT MY OBSCURELY LARGE MEKHQ ARMY

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 03:09:36 pm »

very helpful stuff and a vote here
Do you feel like being Lemur's Little Helper Xardalas?  :)
Quick edit: Already amended the OP with your vote.
Yet another edit: I'm currently in the process of downloading MekHQ 0.3.10 + Against the Bots. Once they're installed, I'll be putting a link up where you can download the end result. This may take a while so please have patience.

Eh, probably shouldn't be. I have a very poor attention span generally, I just happen to love mekhq and I know how frightening and confusing the UI can be. There really aren't any good guides for it and I'm afraid I'm a little to scatter-brained to ever write one. So I figured I'd just toss out random bits of information as I remember them to help others out. :P

Professor Lemur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2015, 03:44:15 pm »

Upload size: 260mb. Oh boy.
'Cause your horse don't dance and if he don't dance, then he's no horse of mine.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2015, 10:07:11 pm »

I think the Fourth Succession War is what, 3026? I've got a scenario book somewhere around here but it's pretty much all Davion-Liao stuff. FWL didn't have much going on other than the Andurien Civil War, IIRC.

But of course there's always random skirmishing and proxy battles through mercs. FWL also had Smithson's Chinese Bandits, which is the unit me and my friend were CO and XO of, waaaay back on the 3056 MU* about 20 years ago.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2015, 10:42:04 pm »

If the series had one thing that was more unmerciful (other then pilot death I guess) it is how hard it can be to actually earn cash.

One lucky shot can seriously drain your funds.

Professor Lemur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2015, 05:33:29 am »

I think the Fourth Succession War is what, 3026? I've got a scenario book somewhere around here but it's pretty much all Davion-Liao stuff. FWL didn't have much going on other than the Andurien Civil War, IIRC.

But of course there's always random skirmishing and proxy battles through mercs. FWL also had Smithson's Chinese Bandits, which is the unit me and my friend were CO and XO of, waaaay back on the 3056 MU* about 20 years ago.
Smithson's Chinese Bandits? Interesting. I might read through them  and see if there's any way I can incorporate them.
Remember: we don't have to strictly follow the timeline. We can still have Hanse Davion invade the Confederation, but that doesn't mean we can't have a slice too.

If the series had one thing that was more unmerciful (other then pilot death I guess) it is how hard it can be to actually earn cash.

One lucky shot can seriously drain your funds.
I think I mentioned something that happened in the "how did you last die?" thread. Eventually ended up with a new addition killed through a lucky kick in the cockpit -on the first round of battle, no less - and I had quite a few mechs that were cored. I don't feel like saying what happened to my last two mechs.
Worst thing is, the only mechs I managed to salvage was a Crab, a Dragon... And
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not to mention the mechanics always screw up when attaching replacement limbs and torsos which mean you end up spending more money to get replacement parts, rinse lather and repeat.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2015, 09:16:04 am »

Ugh, Urban mechs. Such horrid things.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2015, 12:48:02 pm »

Now, now....Urbies have their uses. I'm not sure what those uses are, but they have them.

Our MU* unit had an LCT-1M (the LRM variant of the Locust with a whopping half-ton of armor). It was called "The Doghouse" and reserved for pilots who had screwed up in some way. Very effective for keeping people in line. ;)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Professor Lemur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2015, 02:09:27 pm »

Now, now....Urbies have their uses. I'm not sure what those uses are, but they have them.
It's really in the title. They're best in very certain urban situations, but... well, it depends on the model and situation, and even then, there are better mechs.
My personal favourite is the Urbie with an AC/20 build, because while they do look like trashcans, whoever starts laughing at the wrong end of that autocannon tends to end up with a massive hole in their torso.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2015, 02:59:14 pm »

I dont think the Urbie is very competitive even in urban terrain and BV balance... A vehicle of the same BV can be faster with similar firepower and survivability. Urbie's nearly useless abilities to jump, climb and resist through-armor-crits(as its a mech) cost it a lot in BV, relatively speaking.

It works best in urban and jungle when defending a location, and even then its likely to be just a support unit to just bring more numbers.

Professor Lemur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2015, 03:51:59 pm »

Pretty much. They're a walking obstacle.
The biggest challenge facing an Urbie is to try to keep a straight face long enough to core the thing.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2015, 04:34:23 pm »

Urbies are perfect for target practice!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18