Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: MekHQ - "Just how does it work?" edition  (Read 72557 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: MekHQ - "Just how does it work?" edition
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2015, 06:12:09 pm »

You should be careful when laughing at the UrbanMech.

:D

Professor Lemur

• Bay Watcher
  • Not as cool as your glasses, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2015, 06:29:24 pm »

Must be the AC/20 build...

Edit: Organising a campaign's forces to reflect a real life nation's armed forces.
Holy shit there is a lot of regiments/battalions/companies/platoons/squads going on here.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 07:34:09 pm by Professor Lemur »
You can lead a horse to water, you can leave your horse behind.
'Cause your horse don't dance and if he don't dance, then he's no horse of mine.
ASK ME ABOUT MY OBSCURELY LARGE MEKHQ ARMY

Professor Lemur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2015, 04:13:25 pm »

Cooking up a little tutorial on how to get started with MekHQ. It's going to take me a while to get all the images together and get them to show up on the posts, but as soon as that's sorted I'll be sharing them with you.
'Cause your horse don't dance and if he don't dance, then he's no horse of mine.

Professor Lemur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2015, 09:04:50 am »

Sorry about the long delay. I've been preparing for a job, and it's been pretty hectic. The vote is still on for the MekHQ campaign, so if you want in, you have five days.
As we wait for the clock to tick down, let's do a little reading on the universe which we'll be playing in.

The Inner Sphere
Imagine a sphere that extends around our Earth for about 240 light-years, a 3d sphere at that. Essentially, this is what the sphere is all about. The absolute limit of that is also essentially the limits of civilization, and you'll be hard-pressed to find any habitable clusters of worlds outside the sphere. There are a sort of outskirts of planets that circle the Inner Sphere, which is known as the Periphery - they are where you may find the pirates, outcasts or colonists who have lost contact with the sphere. North of the Inner Sphere, and about a good year and a half's travel away lie the Clan Homeworlds, a cluster of systems home to a good few hundred million citizens - all of which share a burning hatred for the Inner Sphere.

The Inner Sphere before the Clan Invasion. Not pictured: The countless battles and skirmishes.

With the map out of the way, let's take a look at each of the factions, going clockwise.

Draconis Combine: The Draconis Combine is essentially Feudal Japan in space, with some elements of other Terran nations like Denmark and Sweden thrown in for good measure. Ruled by the Coordinator (traditionally of Kurita birth), the Combine rigidly follows feudal Japanese rituals, and that extends to their military. Inspired in part by the WWII-era Japanese, their military are fairly well-trained, if disorganised. Remember how I said that they follow Japanese traditions? Mechwarriors from the Combine tend to see themselves as samurai, and will act accordingly in battle. As such, their behaviour in battle tend to go two ways; they may either prefer to fight in a one-to-one duel, or just go all out in one blazing charge in their overwhelming desire to fight and die for the Kuritan Dragon.
House: Kurita
Tactics: Officers duel. Non-Officers go for suicide charges.

The Federated Suns/Federated Commonwealth: In the harsh world of Battletech, there are very few "good guys". The FedSuns are one of those factions that more or less appears to be the middle-ground. Inspired by Feudal England, and WWII-era western countries, the FedSuns can be seen as one of the better factions in the Inner Sphere as it is, mainly due that they are almost the Goldilocks Federation - not too aggressive, not too corrupt, yet not too peace-seeking or pure. They are just right. However, because of their neutrality they also have a middling economy (which implodes every time the FedSuns are in a war), and their 'mech technology is just above-average as well, and their military is something that can be respected. Led by House Davion, if you want an easy game, you play the Federated Suns.
House: Davion
Tactics: Combined-arms, with BattleMechs taking the stage.

Capellan Confederation: Space Commies. While the Capellan Confederation may appear to be very small compared to her neighbours, this is only due to a massive proximity of planets ruled by the House Liao. They also boast a gigantic population in these planets that can rival any other faction's. They are usually on the defensive, as thanks to fiction writers, the Confederation are the punching bags of the Federated Suns. Their numbers may be large, but they are very disorganised - this tends to have the effect that most pilots in the Inner Sphere may have trouble aiming at the Capellans while laughing. Inspired mainly by Communist China. The Confederation could do many things, unfortunately they are usually on the decline and ruled by Maximilion Liao, a man who is insane, yet strategically sound at best.
House: Liao
Tactics: Tend to only go for the weakest targets, and will break if faced with overwhelming firepower or numbers.

Free Worlds League: Not the most talked about faction in the Inner Sphere, the FWL is still a major superpower with reasons mainly to do with its economic powerhouse being the second best in the sphere. Inspired by Civil War-era America, Mexico and Texas, the Free Worlds League is very fractious and very prone to breaking into civil wars, netting them the title of "NO, YOU SHUT UP!" Faction. In this respect, they are like the FedSuns, if they like stabbing and screaming at themselves.
House: Marik
Tactics: Very chivalrous: if a rival mechwarrior is down, the FWL will usually wait for the pilot to get back up before fighting them, and any hostages they take will be treated decently. They also use combined-arms more than any other faction.

Lyran Commonwealth/Lyran Alliance: The Lyrans are not known for compromising. Indeed, it is a joke that their scout lances are comprised of nothing but Atlas, a 100-ton 'mech that is slow and heavy. This is only a half-joke in truth, thanks to the Lyrans having the best economy in the Inner Sphere, and also having the biggest preference for having bigger 'mechs than everyone else. Their vast profits are very much needed however, as they also own the smallest amount of factories that are capable of producing battlemechs. Inspired by Medieval and WW1 Germany, with some Italian Renaissance thrown in for good measure. Mostly well-known for one of their Archons, Katrina Steiner, who will backstab your mother, backstab your grandfather and blame it on you, before having you backstabbed before you can prove your innocence.
House: Steiner
Tactics: Nothing more than a slow, crushing attack that can be compared to an elephant stamping on an ant. Will panic and attempt to flee if perceived odds are against them. Higher-ups can be very incompetent.

That's it for now. I may post another update tomorrow focusing instead on four distinct eras of the Inner Sphere: Star-League Era, Fourth Succession War, the Clan Invasion, and the FedCom Civil War. Might do the Word of Blake era too, but that's only if there's enough demand for it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 02:31:56 pm by Professor Lemur »

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2015, 09:46:37 am »

FWL, for their endless subfactions and collection of all kinds of units from hastily formed mechanized reserves to elite 'Mechwarrior knights. Also home of or greatest user of some of my favorite 'Mech designs: Hunchback, Awesome, Archer, Orion, Griffin.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2015, 12:25:20 pm »

Should also be noted that many Lyran commanders are incompetent nobility who bought their commission and will quickly look for someone else to pin the blame on when their brilliant tactical manuever of "Send all your troops at the enemy at once" fails.

Think General Melchett as depicted in Blackadder Goes Forth.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Professor Lemur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2015, 01:29:21 pm »

FWL, for their endless subfactions and collection of all kinds of units from hastily formed mechanized reserves to elite 'Mechwarrior knights. Also home of or greatest user of some of my favorite 'Mech designs: Hunchback, Awesome, Archer, Orion, Griffin.
The Griffin is a very nice 'mech, I agree. Especially the GRF-3N, which I believe has LRM-10s and a PPC. Makes it murder against light's on the field.
What era do you want to vote for? Fourth Succession War, Clan Invasion or FedCom Civil War?

Should also be noted that many Lyran commanders are incompetent nobility who bought their commission and will quickly look for someone else to pin the blame on when their brilliant tactical manuever of "Send all your troops at the enemy at once" fails.

Think General Melchett as depicted in Blackadder Goes Forth.

Thanks for the reminder - just amended my post to include "officer incompetence".

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2015, 02:16:05 pm »

The Griffin is a very nice 'mech, I agree. Especially the GRF-3N, which I believe has LRM-10s and a PPC. Makes it murder against light's on the field.
What era do you want to vote for? Fourth Succession War, Clan Invasion or FedCom Civil War?

Hmm... My personal favorite is Jihad and the immediate era after it as factions feel the most different in what they field then and how and there isnt clantech silliness everywhere yet. But out of those 3 however, FedCom Civil War!

Professor Lemur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2015, 02:28:29 pm »

To be honest, FedCom is as far as I can go, as that's the limit of where I'm comfortable in managing. Plus the Dark Age is not popular with a lot of the audience mainly due to how the production staff interfered with a lot of the backstory. This isn't getting to how ridiculous the Wobbies were. But your vote has been included and I have to say, I wasn't expecting people to choose the FWL.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2015, 02:32:18 pm »

I thought Katherine (Steiner-Davion) was the hell-bitch scheming Archon, not Katrina. Katrina was just a rare Lyran noble in that she actually had brains and an understanding of how to use military force. Katherine was the one that blew up her own mother, declared war against her brother, and then had an incestuous tank-grown Clan amalgam of her and her brother's DNA made. Sort of a space-age Cersei Lannister.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2015, 02:34:00 pm »

Lyrans, and FedCom Civil War

Professor Lemur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2015, 02:36:04 pm »

I thought Katherine (Steiner-Davion) was the hell-bitch scheming Archon, not Katrina. Katrina was just a rare Lyran noble in that she actually had brains and an understanding of how to use military force. Katherine was the one that blew up her own mother, declared war against her brother, and then had an incestuous tank-grown Clan amalgam of her and her brother's DNA made. Sort of a space-age Cersei Lannister.
No don't worry, you're right. Katherine Steiner-Davion basically changed her name to her grandmother Katrina, and removed the Davion from her title to prove that she is a true Steiner and to restore the Lyran Alliance, so called because she perceived the title commonwealth to have been tainted by the Davions.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2015, 04:37:51 pm »

I tend to be fond of the Sucession Wars or the early years of the Clan Invasion, before everyone and their mother has Clan tech (despite how 'rare' it is) and you barely see any of the classic designs anymore.

I vote for the Free Worlds League, and I'll agree to the FedCom Civil War, since they even get their act together during that war and get some things done.

Professor Lemur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2015, 05:26:12 pm »

Honestly that period is one that really interests me thanks to the SA thread.
It's also thanks to some of the greatest figures that populate the 4th Succesion Wars. Hanse Davion uniting the Federated Suns and the Lyran Commonwealth, while presenting the Capellan Confederation as a dowry just cements his status as one brilliant dick, especially since he invited Maximilian Liao to the ceremony.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2015, 04:50:15 am »

The SA thread?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18