Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

Author Topic: MekHQ - "Just how does it work?" edition  (Read 72615 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MekHQ - "Just how does it work?" edition
« Reply #210 on: November 12, 2019, 11:56:40 am »

Ah, ok. :D

But I had to look up the Matar.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 12, 2019, 02:47:12 pm »

IIRC some tanks can also carry BA
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 12, 2019, 04:36:34 pm »

I have 2 or 3 Maxim BA transports that have a 12t infantry bay each. Because assault suits can't be carried by mechs anyway.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 19, 2019, 07:51:31 am »

I'm kind of obsessed with the Draconis Chain Gang Missions, where they sent a swarm of garbage mechs at the Lyrans and Fed Suns after the First Succession War, so I tried to make my own Chain Gang.

Obviously, its mostly Wasps...

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 19, 2019, 09:23:47 am »

I'm kind of obsessed with the Draconis Chain Gang Missions, where they sent a swarm of garbage mechs at the Lyrans and Fed Suns after the First Succession War, so I tried to make my own Chain Gang.

Spiders might work better, depending on how you measure that. They're got a great jump that can get the to-hit to stupid levels (although I think one of the few places MegaMek violates the Battletech rules is/was related to landing a jump in heavy woods). I think they can manage +3 for distance, +1 for jumping, and +1 or +2 for woods. An average opponent who is standing still and has no range penalties (if you didn't land behind them or far enough away not to be an easy target) can only hit on a 9 or 10+. Also, you can't eject from a spider, which is also a solution to a certain kind of problem.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 19, 2019, 04:39:02 pm »

Spiders might work better, depending on how you measure that. They're got a great jump that can get the to-hit to stupid levels (although I think one of the few places MegaMek violates the Battletech rules is/was related to landing a jump in heavy woods). I think they can manage +3 for distance, +1 for jumping, and +1 or +2 for woods. An average opponent who is standing still and has no range penalties (if you didn't land behind them or far enough away not to be an easy target) can only hit on a 9 or 10+. Also, you can't eject from a spider, which is also a solution to a certain kind of problem.

Well, that last part does make sense.  The reason for the Wasp swarm is that they are the cheapest, most common mech in battletech.  Maybe the Flea is cheaper than the non-primitive Wasp, but they've all been destroyed by the end of the First Succession War.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 19, 2019, 04:48:16 pm »

Well, that last part does make sense.  The reason for the Wasp swarm is that they are the cheapest, most common mech in battletech.  Maybe the Flea is cheaper than the non-primitive Wasp, but they've all been destroyed by the end of the First Succession War.

Most produced, anyway. The less-common Stinger had 200k produced, and 5k functional in 3039.

Spiders were apparently rare when Wolf's Dragoons showed up (but people fought battles over parts for them), but at some point I can't get Sarna to tell me, FWL got the specs and someone started making them again. Then, by the end of the 3rd Succession War, the factory was worn out and production slowed.

Also, I thought it was the Mercury that got wiped out (except in lostec bunkers).

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 19, 2019, 06:08:07 pm »

Most produced, anyway. The less-common Stinger had 200k produced, and 5k functional in 3039.

Spiders were apparently rare when Wolf's Dragoons showed up (but people fought battles over parts for them), but at some point I can't get Sarna to tell me, FWL got the specs and someone started making them again. Then, by the end of the 3rd Succession War, the factory was worn out and production slowed.

Also, I thought it was the Mercury that got wiped out (except in lostec bunkers).

Lots of stuff got wiped out, especially the lighter designs.  Mercury was one of them.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 20, 2019, 02:18:41 am »

Yeah, in early BattleTech lore, almost none of the factories were working anymore except for the automated ones where the primitives in charge could feed raw materials in one end and get a working 'Mech out the other. Everyone was too stupid and uneducated anymore to produce 'Mechs themselves, and it was all very Mad Max in Space.

Then in twenty years after the Helm Memory Core, everyone got their college education and PhDs done, and managed to reactivate and repair all of the factories so they could churn out a host of new designs that weren't under constant lawsuit by Harmony Gold.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 20, 2019, 09:07:33 am »

Then in twenty years after the Helm Memory Core, everyone got their college education and PhDs done, and managed to reactivate and repair all of the factories so they could churn out a host of new designs that weren't under constant lawsuit by Harmony Gold.

I still want my Phoenix Hawk LAM with a Skull Squadron logo.

Edit: Like this one.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 10:06:00 am by Iduno »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 24, 2019, 03:07:46 pm »

Oh come on Falcons, you used to be proud!

That is even worse than last week, when a binary contained 8 Lightning hovercraft (standard and royal), at least you brought a star of mechs then. Did the Jihad really hit you that hard?

-

I had a medium lance consisting of a modified ARC-2S (CASE,11 DHS, Ferro, all lasers face forward and an ER Small is added, only 1t of SRM ammo), a Nova Prime, a FS9-OF and a modified Venom SDR-9K (10 DHS, 3 MPL 1 SPL and near max armor). The Liaison was in a PXH-3K.
Elite pilots and the Venom and the Nova, veterans in the Archer and the Firestarter, we had slightly lower BV than the clanners, if you include their air support.

The ARC stayed in cover and fired indirectly, mostly guided by the Venom that didn't get into range very often. Everyone jumped as much as possible and tried to stay out of line of sight to most enemies. The terrain favoured our jumping mechs, with small hills dotting the landscape and some wood here and there.
All in all we suffered 2 gauss rounds and a couple MPL hits when royal Demons got close. One of the fighters managed to escape, and one of the demons. But only because I thought I had gotten them all, it must have been in cover for quite a while.

Ok, I am not complaining that I didn't have to fight a star of mechs in addition to the tanks.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 26, 2019, 02:28:37 pm »

Anyone else notice how common air support seems to be?  Is it really 2 out 6 like it says in the game options?  I set it at 1 out 6, and it still seems quite common.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 26, 2019, 02:40:29 pm »

Not specifically air support, but I know there is/was a problem where if you turned off "double the number of vehicles that BV says to give" you still got twice as many vehicles. It's a fairly solid program, but I'm not sure all of the options are really optional.

It's possible that someone coded something (I haven't done any programming since Fortran '77, so...) like in "if air support is turned on, air support shows up rand(1/3) of the time, where X is the frequency the player chose."

Edit: ...and we had to telnet into a Unix server uphill both ways.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 02:45:50 pm by Iduno »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 29, 2019, 06:52:39 pm »

Your programing experience isn't old if it doesn't involve welding circuit boards.
EDIT: Nevermind, I looked up Fortran '77.  That is pretty old, and might have in fact involved welding circuit boards.
For those who don't want to do the quick wiki search, the next version of Fortran was '90, and yes its named for the approximate year of release.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 08, 2020, 07:35:51 pm »

MekHQ team just dropped a new Dev snapshot.

They've been doing a lot of work the last year so I thought I'd post in this thread. I really like the scenario generator and there are many nice little things like a callsign generator for my personal favorite ease of use thing for something I was terrible at thinking up on my own.

Also, you can set intensity by role, mark units on the ToE noncombat, and even disable Chase missions completely! Cadet infantry set to training with no fear of stomping by robot foots: yes

Dev release here:

https://github.com/MegaMek/mekhq/releases/tag/v0.47.12

Anyone build any cool scenarios? I have a couple I can describe for an entry level campaign on a coastal planet.

EDIT: unless it was fixed, don't take garrison contracts, they were broken last version because subcontracts are being worked on. (subcontracts could get you VERY rich previously. I thought it was fishy when I bought a jumpship from the subcontracts a few versions ago but hey space battles)

The scenario generator allows you to build your own scenarios and set your own goals. The generator rolls the non-player supplied forces just like it does when generating one of the preset types. For example the fluff for the planet I'm on is that it's mostly oceanic so I'm building scenarios that use the coastal maptype. The one I'm on now has random friendly and enemy naval units it generates for me as I attack a port for standard armor supplies with a friendly merc unit who stole some boats. I have to force a withdraw on 75% of all three of an infantry company, a vehicle lance, and ? naval units that scale to 2x my teams BV. I also get a bonus roll if I destroy a random commercial AtB unit I set to escape, and there are two VTOLs and a handful of turrets in the base.

It feels like the necessary foundation required for what I've heard termed "force pools" where you oppose a delineated rather than a randomly generated and unlimited force until the morale drops low due to rolls or the contract completes. It would track losses and possibly reinforcements instead of rolling for morale at the start of a month in the same way it currently does. It would also make building campaigns much easier.

One thing scenario gen would benefit from is being able to further clarify roles; for example you can't set an infantry bot to roll only on mechanized or motorized infantry; or to require a roll on the AtB civilian RATs to also require a result with cargo space so you don't end up with an obsolete mek when you are aiming for something small and shootably truck-like.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 08:06:09 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18