Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Knights of the Neutral Republic - UNDEAD LP: Recap Episode  (Read 90448 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Knights of the Neutral Republic - UNDEAD LP: Recap Episode
« on: February 05, 2015, 11:42:28 am »

Some may remember that a while ago I set up a thread not unlike this one, but it was silently aborted before it even begun. That was because I upgraded my PC from 32 to 64bits and turns out the disk version of KotOR simply does not work in the x64 version of win7. Thanks to humble bundle, I have now the steam version of KotOR, which DOES work.

But what is KotOR? If you never heard of it, it's a pretty popular Star Wars RPG taking place roughly 4000 years before the movies. Or at least that was the case, except now it was retconned out of the continuity along with pretty much the entire expanded universe. It was made by Bioware, so if you played any of their rpgs you know what to expect.

This will be a screenshot LP, and I will leave the big decisions up to the thread (assuming there is enough interest, if not I'll choose on my own) will pick the decisions myself due to the challenge, which is to finish the game neutral. The first choice, of course, is going to be character creation. What needs to be chosen is name, gender, appearance, class and alignment.

Name is purely cosmetic. That is all that needs to be said about it.

Gender is pretty self-explanatory. There are some changes depending on gender, especially regarding the (optional, of course) romances. Male is the canon for this one

Appearance has zero effect on gameplay other than the fact that you'll have to stare at that face for pretty much the entire LP. Below you'll see the appearances available, and the canon one is highlighted in blue.

Spoiler: females (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: males (click to show/hide)

There are three classes in this game: scoundrel, scout and soldier. This choice affects what skills are considered class skills (and thus cheaper to level) and how much and how often we acquire skill points and feats. In short, soldiers have more health, more feats, but the least skill points. Scoundrels have the most class skills and gain a lot skill points per level, but have few feats and are fragile. The scout is basically a jack of all trades. If you are interested the boring math for each are:

Spoiler: Scoundrel (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Scout (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Soldier (click to show/hide)

Of course this would not be a star wars rpg without alignment. Through actions, a character may go towards either the light side or dark side (or, through a lot of effort and bipolar behaviour, stay neutral). Aside from the affecting plot itself, it has gameplay effects: If you are deep into the light side, light powers are cheaper, while dark powers are more expensive. Neutral characters get a mostly equal price for either, but get no discounts either. There is no influence system for companions in this game, with dialogue being decided based on previous choices and character level nearly exclusively.

Lastly, while this is not blind, please do not spoil anything that hasn't happened yet, or, if you absolutely must talk about it, use spoiler tags.

Below are links to each update.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 04:09:54 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Knights of the Old Republic (take 2)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 12:08:28 am »

I have KOTOR 2, but not the first game.

Name: Deathsword :P
Appearance: The face of the guy above the highlighted one. His hair amuses me.
Class: Play as a Scout. Flurry is best power.
Alignment: In order to mimic the insanity and randomness of Bay12, attempt to stay Neutral.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: resized some images

EDIT 2: This is basically a year later, having to reupload stuff because img.ie decided to die again, or at least take down the images.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:45:24 pm by Teneb »
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's this and other things that made me wonder if Trask wasn't really a Sith spy. I mean, he has the access codes to your cabin, but not the door outside(despite nothing else between the two doors, if I recall). You've never seen him before, and I don't think his excuse of working opposite shifts is plausible. Assuming a 24-hour day, that means you both work 12-hour shifts. Likewise I would assume two people who share a cabin, even on a military ship, would have been at least introduced to one another at least to make sure there wasn't any conflict between the two crewmembers.

The Sith also knew where to ambush the Endar Spire, meaning someone would have had to given them information one where it'd be, although part of that might be explained by Malak using the Force to sense Bastila. Lastly, he charged down a Dark Jedi, despite previously stating that would be too dangerous an opponent for regular troopers to fight. Darth Bandon didn't kill Trask, he was his ride off the ship.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

HooliganintheFort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, I played this on the Xbox a long time ago. This game started my love for RPGs and the like.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's this and other things that made me wonder if Trask wasn't really a Sith spy. I mean, he has the access codes to your cabin, but not the door outside(despite nothing else between the two doors, if I recall). You've never seen him before, and I don't think his excuse of working opposite shifts is plausible. Assuming a 24-hour day, that means you both work 12-hour shifts. Likewise I would assume two people who share a cabin, even on a military ship, would have been at least introduced to one another at least to make sure there wasn't any conflict between the two crewmembers.

The Sith also knew where to ambush the Endar Spire, meaning someone would have had to given them information one where it'd be, although part of that might be explained by Malak using the Force to sense Bastila. Lastly, he charged down a Dark Jedi, despite previously stating that would be too dangerous an opponent for regular troopers to fight. Darth Bandon didn't kill Trask, he was his ride off the ship.
Trask is hailed as a hero in the MMO, so I guess this guy planned everything. I'll see if I can get something out today. Uploading all the images is by far the slowest part.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile

Well... I would say what I think but major spoiler and such, so:

Spoiler: MAJOR PLOT SPOILER (click to show/hide)
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would like to just point out the pain that is capturing things from pre-rendered cutscenes in this game. Since, apparently, the game opens up another program to run the movies, nothing I tried so far can capture them, or do so without completely destroying the quality. So far, the only way I found is to open up the video files with a bik player and take screenshots of that.

If anyone has any suggestion on how to deal with that, I'm all ears.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Knights of the Old Republic - Part 2: Watching you sleep
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 07:22:28 pm »

Small update, mostly to get exposition out of the way. Furthermore, I've added the appropriate soundtrack links to the previous post and this one.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:58:00 pm by Teneb »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 07:24:27 pm »

You're going to Kashyyyk first, btw.

Just for Jolee.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 07:27:02 pm »

Just for Jolee.
I can probably do it until I get him and head elsewhere if people want to check somewhere else first. I might even do that to grab another companion, meatbag.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 07:29:54 pm »

Just for Jolee.
I can probably do it until I get him and head elsewhere if people want to check somewhere else first. I might even do that to grab another companion, meatbag.
It has been so long since I've played this, I can't remember where you get him :o Tatooine?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 07:30:51 pm »

Just for Jolee.
It has been so long since I've played this, I can't remember where you get him :o Tatooine?
Yes. He is also extremely easy to pick up. As in: a few minutes after landing.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Knights of the Old Republic - Part 1: Scouts of the Old Republic
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 09:00:05 am »

Well... I would say what I think but major spoiler and such, so:

Spoiler: MAJOR PLOT SPOILER (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: No. (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Knights of the Old Republic - Part 3: Police Brutality
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 02:58:36 pm »

I got enough screenshots for the next part already. The split was because it gets quite tiring to transcribe all that.  The whole update went down from about 70 screenshots to 21. Anyway, next part will be up later today.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:59:25 pm by Teneb »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16