Author Topic: Beard  (Read 4203 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Beard
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 01:45:19 am »

We need pics or we can't help.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

rellik242

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 01:25:14 am »

Keep it! My all who appose your beard experience a slow, hairy death!

(If nothing else, grow it for all us 20-some year olds who can only grow patchy neck-beards)
Morul Idenigath, Recruit cancels starting Fist Fight: Target inaccessible.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 06:07:37 pm »

how cometh the beardening?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

duleshna

• Bay Watcher
  • The Eyes are the Mirror of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 09:06:38 am »

The best advice I've managed to get in regards to growing and cutting a beard is this: When you are considering about changing your look (aka cutting/shaving stuff off), always spend proportionally the same amount of time as it took you to grow it. So, if it took you 3 months to grow a beard, spend at least 3 weeks thinking about it. NEVER cut your beard the same day or even the following. Sleep on it. You'll regret it instantly if you do it too hastily. It's YOUR face and it's YOU who gets to enjoy looking manly. I cannot tell you wheter you should or should not shave stuff off, just telling you to take your time when considering your options. Your beard won't run away while you are pondering about things. It won't, however, grow back fast if you make a mistake.

That said, here are my personal thougths on what people have said here:
If there are school rules about being clean shaven then you should just shave.
I got kicked out of school for not cutting my hair, made a big deal about it being sexist that femles can have long hair but males cant.
I want to say that's BS on school's part but then again there are different schools... But in the end, school is just a temporary place to attend for a relatively short time. Don't get into trouble on purpose.

You might want to read into beard/moustache maintenance if you do end up keeping it. As with any excessive body hair, it'll look much better if you actually take care of it. People not liking it might be because it's new and different, or because you don't take care of it and it looks horrid as a result.
Nothing more to say to that. People(/chicks) like men who are able to take care of themselves more. In general.

You may consider getting a trimmer and keeping at a perpetual 5-o'clock shadow. Depending on your facial structure it may strike a nice balance between beard and baby face.
I would consider that lazy and untidy.

I find beards are itchy. I've had beards and moustaches and even when I did for months, the day I shaved it was like "finally, no more ITCHING!".
Beard itch can be a problem when first growing beard out. As it grows, the very tips of the hairs are sharp due to shaving. As time passes, the tips begin to dull and become less irritating. Also, adding beard oil can really help too to make the hairs softer. If you cannot find real beard oil, just add a bit of olive oil or coconut oil to your beard before shower. A dap can help even after the shower, just do not overdo it. Oily beard is gross. Also, never use the same soap/shampoo on your beard as you use for your hair. Those are tow very different hair/skin types. Use only the mildest of things for your beard. You don't wash your face with normal body soap either, now do you? (again, a very differnet skin type)

If your going to trim a beard or any real growth then buy a cheap DE razor, there so much better than cartages, it untrue.
If you do wet shaving, invest in some proper equipment. And by proper, I mean DE razor. You get better, smoother and less irritating results with less blades you use. Don't buy into Gilette propaganda. Having 10+ blades is only going to do damage on your skin. Also, do not use shaving cream foams that come in a bottle. They often have stuff in them that only dry out your skin. Prefer the old fashioned creams that require a brush to use.

If you later on in life decide to go with a full beard, I highly recommend watching Beard Baron's videos on YouTube. Almost everything I listed here I learned from him (as well as from others).
"Fear's a disease. You catch it. You spread it. You never really get better."
- World of Darkness: Mythologies

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2015, 08:02:59 pm »

When in doubt, grow mutton chops, in the fashion of the ancients.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 07:46:45 am »

For some reason some people seem to have problems with beards. They get used to it and stop pestering you after a while.
Taste my Paci-Fist

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2015, 10:20:49 am »

Take the beard to its natural conclusion and allow birds to begin nesting in it.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2015, 12:13:37 pm »

You may consider getting a trimmer and keeping at a perpetual 5-o'clock shadow. Depending on your facial structure it may strike a nice balance between beard and baby face.
I would consider that lazy and untidy.
It's not how I keep mine, but it is fairly common and even fashionable around here. It's called designer stubble apparently.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2015, 10:47:32 pm »

Yeah, that's a thing. You need to have the right features and demeanor to pull it off, though, IMO.

Also, guys, please. If you go babyface or stubble, don't do those long side strips that go straight down and stop about an inch or two short of being small muttonchops.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2015, 04:50:51 am »

Update: If you live in China, CUT THAT BEARD OFF, NOW!

Today, a man in China was convicted to six years in prison, for having a beard (official charge: "instigating unrest". His wife was convicted to 3 years in prison, for covering her face.

China has adopted a national policy to discourage people from growing beards. Especially in provinces that have a muslim minority.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2015, 05:19:44 am »

Wait, FD, what would be proper mutttonchops in your opinion? Because those look pretty full-blown to me...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2015, 11:00:05 am »

Do you guys ever have nightmares about shaving your beards? Like, you wake up screaming in the middle of the night and run to check yourself in the mirror to see if the beard is ok?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2015, 09:31:57 pm »

Wait, FD, what would be proper mutttonchops in your opinion? Because those look pretty full-blown to me...
That's the point. The actor in that shot makes them look good. But when you mostly see greasy 1.5cm wide little lines... blech.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 [2]