Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Innkeep - Serve Ale. Be Jolly. Rob Your Guests.  (Read 43806 times)

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
Re: Innkeep! - For He's a Jolly Good Fellow
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2016, 07:12:46 am »

Hi everyone. Work has been progressing on the interior of the inn. I'm looking at releasing another development video at the end of the month to show off the whole thing all at once. It's shaping up pretty nicely, and you can get a peek on my twitter account.

In the meantime, I think I have finally solved a major problem as regards the actual game-play, and how some different elements properly fit together.

I've done a big write-up over on my blog, which is easier to read IMO, but I'll repost here too. The original post has some images though if you want to check it out.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 07:56:52 am by Yolan »
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2017, 12:03:53 pm »

Hi everybody. It's time for development diary 11.

https://youtu.be/8mBFQ02qBlw

=== New Features ===

-   A reworking of the art assets for the inn interior from the ground up, including:
Common room
   Flagstone floor
   New walls.
Kitchen
   Herringbone tile floor
   New walls
A stable
   Unique floor and walls.
Bedrooms.
   All unique floors and walls.

-   Reworking of walkways and staircases, making them into discrete objects that can now properly be walked on top of and under.
-   A new system for controlling player movement depending on what depth they are in. Barriers which exist when you are on the ground level are removed when you are upstairs, and conversely barriers which exist for upstairs are removed when on the ground level.
-   The inn now has bedrooms! When entering a bedroom the main wall fades away, and any walkways which are blocking your view become translucent.

=== Improvements ===

-   Fixed a long running serious issue where dynamic scaling of the character object caused its bounding box (which was scaling along with it) to expand into the bounding boxes of objects that it was passing by alongside. This could cause the object to get stuck, or even crash the game. Now, the player object still scales dynamically, but doesn’t actually have its own bounding box. Instead it simply follows a hidden box object which has a stable bounding box and has been given all of the movement code. Collision issues that had annoyed me for a long time are now totally gone, and everything is running smooth as silk in that department. Pixel perfect collision is back!
-   More behind the scenes changes to how some objects are loaded in order to make the room editor less messy.
-   Improvements to the bar to make it fit properly in the game space.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2017, 03:34:43 pm »

Dude, this looks so good! I am excite!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2017, 08:22:22 pm »

Thanks! :-)  I'm excited about getting back to coding actual features myself.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2017, 11:42:45 pm »

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2017, 04:58:25 pm »

If you ever get bored of doing the inkeep side of things, you could always add a bit of combat.

Here's Brew House Bash, a nice little ork based table top game from White Dwarf a few years ago. Should provide some inspiration.

http://rpg.by/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=15120

Mainly because I saw the upper walkway, I saw the tables, and I immediately thought "super elbow drop" as the natural conclusion to these facilities being in a medieval bar.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 05:02:00 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2017, 07:07:43 pm »

Mainly because I saw the upper walkway, I saw the tables, and I immediately thought "super elbow drop" as the natural conclusion to these facilities being in a medieval bar.
I like the way you think.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2017, 10:57:36 pm »

Hehe. Yeah I am pretty certain I'm going to put some combat in. If people start fighting you can expect some furniture to get broken, which will cost money to repair/replace.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2017, 09:44:19 pm »

Hi all.

Just to let you know I am still alive and working on Innkeep. Unfortunately I have a lot to do for my day job so I have a tendency of dropping everything for months at a time.

Yesterday I posted a new article on recent upgrades to the furnishings to match the work I had done earlier on the floors, walls etc.

https://innkeepgame.com/2017/07/05/spit-n-polish/

As always, you can follow me on twitter for more frequent updates.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2017, 07:00:20 pm »

This is looking pretty neat!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2017, 07:47:15 pm »

Nice improvements with the art, keep it up!

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2017, 09:46:28 pm »

Thanks! I sometimes post on screenshot saturday over at /r/gamemaker as well. I don't want to do that here because its a bit spammy.

Would like to make another dev video some time soon, but we shall see. Got a big to do list still...

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2017, 03:11:31 pm »

PTW!
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2017, 11:10:14 am »

Hi again.

It's already time for another mega-post.

This one covers the design process for the new cellar, from start to finish.

Hope you enjoy it. I had fun making it. ;-)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2017, 10:25:43 am »

Nice its really getting along, PTW!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11