Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Innkeep - Serve Ale. Be Jolly. Rob Your Guests.  (Read 44102 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Innkeep! - Serve Ale. Be Jolly. Rob Your Guests.
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2017, 10:31:41 am »

Just FYI: Your links are broken on your site. I see you have it set up as a one page deal on the home page, but the way you have it set up all the menu links are broken on any page except the home page.

You can use an anchor link instead. Set the ID of the element to something, then use /#ID. So like website.com/#contentID. That will jump to the content when clicked whether you're on the homepage or not.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2017, 07:55:41 pm »

Thanks for the heads up!

Fixed and working on my end now.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 08:21:38 pm by Yolan »
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2017, 08:23:11 pm »

Incidentally, and I announced this on my twitter feed the other day, but I'm very pleased to announce that Innkeep now has a music and FX guy.

The very talented John Halpart will be taking care of audio for the game going forward. John recently did the excellent soundtrack for Tom Francis's latest game, Heat Signature.

John's looking foward to helping really bring out that folk-esque fantasy inn atmosphere with musical design, and has some really neat ideas about how we might go about that.

Later on down the road we should have some music previews to share. Something cool to look forward to. ;-)
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2017, 07:13:28 am »

Wellcome, John Halpart!
Love, scriver~

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2017, 12:22:14 pm »

Incidentally, and I announced this on my twitter feed the other day, but I'm very pleased to announce that Innkeep now has a music and FX guy.

The very talented John Halpart will be taking care of audio for the game going forward. John recently did the excellent soundtrack for Tom Francis's latest game, Heat Signature.

John's looking foward to helping really bring out that folk-esque fantasy inn atmosphere with musical design, and has some really neat ideas about how we might go about that.

Later on down the road we should have some music previews to share. Something cool to look forward to. ;-)
That's awesome! This is such a different setting too, I'm looking forward to hearing what he comes up with.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2017, 09:24:44 pm »

I'm looking forward to hearing what he comes up with.

Me too!

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2017, 01:39:10 am »

Just to let you know that I've uploaded the first of several tracks made for the game by John to the games Patreon page.

https://www.patreon.com/Innkeep

It's patron only for now (nudge nudge), but if you don't mind waiting a few weeks I'll eventually unlock it.

Happy holidays and best wishes for 2018.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 01:47:17 am by Yolan »

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2018, 07:12:52 am »

Hi all!

It's been a while now since I shared this with my Patreon people, so I think it's fine to go ahead and share the theme song for the game that John made. ;-)

Enjoy!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2018, 03:59:42 pm »

Nice, I like it!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2018, 09:58:35 pm »

It's neat, isn't it? Actually, most of the sound track has already been produced at this point. So many great songs! We will probably share a few more in the future.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2018, 11:20:44 am »

Greetings all. It's time for development diary #14. ;-)

---~~~~Changelist~~~~---

- Significantly improved the graphics for kitchen and stable to bring them up to the standard of the rest of the inn.
- Added fireplace and table to the kitchen.
- Added stalls to the stable. Can be entered.
- New cutout style has been added for all bedrooms.
- Same new cutout style added for when fading stable and kitchen walls.
- New fog-of-war fading for all cut-outs. Leave a pixel wide lighter outline that looks great.
- Updated main floor sprite, and integrated it with the cellar.
- Updated the way the cellar is shown when you enter it. More seamless, and visually a lot better.
- New time keeping GUI at the top of the screen. Can show if it is daytime, sunset, or night.
- Integration of start of the game with the new time keeping GUI.
  You walk up to the inn for the first time, go inside, and then it becomes the GUI. It's a nice touch.
- As the time of day passes, the windows of the inn will now also change, slowly changing from day, to sunset, to night. Looks very nice.
- New lighting system! Details:
     The old system used back at the time of the game prototype was very basic, and really only appropriate for more
     of a pure 2D space, like a platformer. Using shaders it drew a black sheet over the screen, adjusted its transparency based on the time of day, and then cut out
     holes where the 'light' was. The new system is very simple, but also more powerful, and more suitable for the kind of playspace used in Innkeep. Every single
     sprite drawn on the screen has a value tied to the object which draws it, and which controls the brightness of the sprite. This makes it possible to do stuff
     like make a single object such as a table remain unaffected by the general darkness of the room, because, for example, a lit candle is on it. Meanwhile, a player
     passing in front of the table would not automatically be half-drawn as bright, as would have been the case in the previous system. Furthermore, this system uses
     light maps for determining how bright a character should be. These can be used to make nice effects, such has having characters be brighter when standing near
     light sources. Because the number of light sources in the game is pre-determined (the two fireplaces, a number of candles, and a single candle held by the player
     late at night), the simpleness of this system is not a big problem. Meanwhile, it is extremely easy to granularly add finishing touches to the look of lit areas.
- Rigged up all sprites drawn in game to the new light system.
- Added light maps to all twelve bedrooms for the influence of the windows.
- Walkway on right side of the inn now has a cut-away effect for when standing under it, the same as the walkway on the left side.
- Added shadow to some of the walkways, with dynamic light maps.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 19, 2018, 11:35:37 pm »

Hi all! Just a heads up that Innkeep now has a discord channel.

I'm around most days to answer questions or chat. I also post dev notes in real time. Currently working through a back-log of bug fixing and small improvements, but
I'll be shifting back to adding new features in a few weeks.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2018, 04:38:49 am »

Hi everyone. It's finally time for another dev diary.
This one is number 15, and goodness it is a long one (41 minutes!). Apologies, but I think I drop a lot of good info on what I
have planned for core game mechanics regarding guest interaction (spying, eavesdropping, conversation).

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2018, 11:01:15 am »

Hi everyone.

I wrote an article recently on how dialogue will work in game. I think it should be pretty unique if I can pull it off. There's a bunch of my recent pixel art inside also. ;-)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2018, 09:46:22 pm »

I'm really intrigued by your choice to go with keyword based dialogue, it definitely can give an NPC a special quality. You might take a mixed approach by having clickable standard dialogue stuff like name, job, etc. and then have a field for keywords, that could be convenient. Would you be able to look up info that you've already collected from people or would you have to remember?

I'm not sure how I feel about it costing time, that seems like it could be frustrating but I don't think I could really know whether it's good or not until I play for myself. Ideally it would be a feature you could toggle or modify. I also wonder if it would remain a challenging aspect of play once you start to understand it.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11