Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Innkeep - Serve Ale. Be Jolly. Rob Your Guests.  (Read 43807 times)

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
Re: Innkeep! - For He's a Jolly Good Fellow
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2017, 10:36:00 am »

Thank you. ;-)

Looking forward to making dev video 12, but as it stands I still have a decent list of things to clear. Basically I want to get the play space nice and solid, with all the old functionality that I had last year brought back in (prior to the graphical upgrades).

From there, each video will be showing actual pieces of the core gameplay loop. ;-) Still a few more months out though I guess...
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2017, 04:38:01 am »

I just tweeted you. I'm an Exec Producer by trade, and I'm actually talking about my latest title, Regions of Ruin in this forum right now. I love the concept of your game and would love to see it achieve it's potential. If you are up for it I can net you financing, publishing and production.

Feel free to respond to the tweet if interested.

In any case I wish you absolutely the best of luck friend!
Poysky Productions

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2017, 06:34:20 am »

Hi Alex,

I'll reply in PM, cheers.

D
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2017, 11:41:46 am »

Hi everyone.

It's time for dev diary #12. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQLCg64TAGw

=== New Features ===

-   Added an actual cellar to replace the old cellar GUI. The player can walk down steps to go below the common room, and then directly lift barrels up and down from under the bar, which remains visible.
-   Bedroom doorways now have some fancy working doors that can be open and shut, with attendant audio.
-   All furnishings have received a graphical upgrade so that they match the new graphics level of the inn. This includes a new fireplace, new tables and benches, a new bar with new tankards and new barrels, a new trapdoor (cellar GUI), and a new woodpile.
-   Implemented new movement system for the player. This movement system is based on time, rather than FPS, so it should be smooth and consistent across machines. This system is also ‘slippery’. If the player hits a wall at an angle, they will slide along that wall. This is particularly helpful for going up and down stairs, and for walking along the narrow, angled walkways.

=== Improvements ===

-   When entering a bedroom, or the kitchen/stable area, the main play space (common room) of the inn darkens. This helps emphasize the transition, but also makes these areas stand out a bit more distinctly.
-   Reworked the walkway so that it fits snugly with the main wall. Previously there were a few places where it wasn’t fitting correctly.
-   Extra supports on left and right walkways have also been added by the stairs, and the positioning of the supports has also been adjusted.
-   Supports have received an improved look. They are now more solid looking (thicker), and connect with the wooden walkways more obviously.
-   The floor sprite has been improved. This includes some touching up of the detailing (extra cracks on the flagstones), but most importantly, for each point where building sprites come into contact with the floor (including the walls, the support posts for the walkway, and the fireplace), the base of those sprites has been incorporated into the floor sprite. What this means is that the visible “seam” between the sprites has been removed, making them look properly integrated as one surface.
-   The player sprite has been redrawn, including variations for holding different items.
-   Improvements to how the view is adjusted, according to the location of the player.
-   Many other small tasks tweaking different pieces of the new play space, making sure everything fits together and works properly.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2017, 07:17:10 am »

Hi all.

Just to let you know that the main webpage has been shifted to a new host. If you were subscribed to my old wordpress.com site you won't be getting any updates from future posts.

You can check out the new site at:

http://innkeepgame.com/

Comments/suggestions welcome!

Please also consider signing up for the Innkeep mailing list. The subscribe form is just at the bottom of the page.

Also, if anybody had some suggestions of other forums you watch where I could open up threads, I'd appreciate it!

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
Re: Innkeep! - Serve Ale. Be Jolly. Rob You Guests.
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2017, 11:43:53 pm »

Damn, I've wanted a pixel art game where you run a tavern for the past couple years. Is it possible to go legit, or is it like Recettear where you have to do increasingly shitty things to your customers to keep up with the Bastard Tax imposed by arbitrary authority figures? Not that I would actually have a problem with robbing my plastered customers blind. That's fucking ingenious. Inn + crime is like if you googled "how to appeal to Double A NOT strategy game"
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 11:46:46 pm by Double A »
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2017, 12:24:06 am »

I watched Dev 12 video, and 'perently I missed where the focus of the game changed. When the game first started, that tavern keeper was suppose to pick up romors and news, then give it out to adventures for them to go on quests. And now that seem to be dropped, and you just now robbing your Inn guests?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2017, 05:44:07 am »

@ Double A

Robbing your guests is a key part of the game, and will be necessary in order to survive. But that said, who you rob, and how much, will be up to the player.
You want your inn to have a good reputation, so that lots of guests continue to visit. Robbing everything from everybody would sink you quickly. It also wouldn't be very nice.

@ MrWiggles

Early on in this thread (February 11, 2015) scriver shared a video of the Master of the House video from Les Miserables. That stuck with me as the theme of the game, which gradually evolved into what it is now. The original post about when I shifted towards robbery was made 11 months ago, and you can read it here. (http://innkeepgame.com/2016/10/09/the-evolving-concept-of-innkeep/). 

As I discuss in that post, sending adventurers out on quests as a core game mechanic was an idea I actually only played with for half a year, from mid 2015 on, but I just couldn't figure out how to make it work with the Thenandier "master of the house" theme. In the end it was good that I moved away from it for another reason: somebody else came up with a very similar idea at around the same time. Check out Epic Tavern if you are interested.

A major part of the game will still be about being "jolly" and helping your guests have a good time. You will tell them jokes, serve them drinks, and look after them. And -most- of them you won't be robbing at all. So it is a game where you play as an innkeeper who steals, rather than as a thief pretending to be an innkeeper. You will also have opportunities to be a pretty decent fellow as far as things go, by helping some characters out, etc.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 05:46:35 am by Yolan »

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2017, 05:48:35 am »

In case anybody is interested, I recently had an interview with Glenn and Eric of Aussie Devs.

You can listen to it here.

I do get a mention of this forum in. ;-)

I also wrote a piece about my development ideal for this game.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2017, 06:45:42 am »

Early on in this thread (February 11, 2015) scriver shared a video of the Master of the House video from Les Miserables.

Yay ;D

Also, has it been that long? Where do time go...

Will listen to the interview when I'm at the ol' 'puter later!
Love, scriver~

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2017, 07:56:35 am »

Time flies! Thanks for putting me onto that video back then. It really stuck with me on some level and let me work through some contradictions in what features I wanted to have in game.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Innkeep! - Serve Ale. Be Jolly. Rob Your Guests.
« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2017, 09:57:38 am »

Hi all!

It's time for Innkeep dev diary #13.    ;)

Features:

- New railings around the walkways.
- A new cross-section cutaway fading system for the bedrooms and walkways.
- A new UI sidebar, letting the player hold multiple objects. Incorporates guestbook functionality.
- Functionality restored to the new fireplace.

Cheers!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2017, 11:00:18 am »

I feel like part of what reccetear had going for it was the cure aesthetic... Will it be possible to play this game cutely?

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2017, 09:24:30 pm »

Never played it sorry.

I did enjoy stardew valley, and I don't doubt that's had some influence on my thinking. But I won't
be going for an anime aesthetic.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2017, 09:49:58 pm »

reccetear is a game where you manage and craft items for a high fantasy item shop. You can also go dungeon crawling for crafting supplies, but this isn't really required. And there are several increasing money sink goals you have to meet or fail the game.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11