Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Omae wa mou shindeiru (Buy 2 headless flying goblins, get a free flying Hydra!)  (Read 3782 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Oh good sweet bloodgod... what have I done?

"A battle! What is it this time..."
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Take a good look there... did you notice that the guy talking has a blue background, indicating that they are flying through the air?

See where it says "you bash the metalcrafter in the head... propelled away" and just below that it says "you hack the metalcrafter in the head... and the severed part sails off in an arc" and how there are no other goblins next to me?

Yeah, inspired by the "what weapon is best for severing limbs" thread, I was testing whether candy vs soulsteel (modded metal: candy hardness+edge, steel mass) would work better with a battle axe... the results were:
...inconclusive. Suffice to say candy hacks hydra heads off just as readily as soulsteel did, despite having no axe skill prior to that point. Additionally, the candy was "just" masterwork, while the soulsteel was a force-mooded artifact axe, so yeah, given this I doubt a steel axe would outdo the candy one simply because of the added mass if a candy+steel hybrid metal didn't win out cleanly.

So, after that I decided to keep playing with the axe while offhanding the plat war hammer, and in the process got jumped by some gobs+trolls, started killing them and decided to take a detour through the nearby dark fortress before heading off to the rest of the map.

This is when I discovered something amazing, I'm not sure how much was due to the (dark ages master vampire) speed boost interaction, as that should just be movement speed and is why I'm at 9.6/9.9, though my agi was up over 3000 as I recall, and I was swinging with legendary skill behind both weapons. It might be due to the mass of the weapons, so steel axe+plat war hammer might be required to replicate, but it is incredibly consistent once those parts are assembled.

So I am proud to present the symphony of flying headless corpses in D Minor, as performed by Nil Bunnysmash the Amusing Emancipation of Skulls (no shit, that's her name+title!):
^Just in case there was any doubt or confusion about what is taking place, from start to finish, head sailing off, weaponsmith in midair (listed under "here we have" but not showing up under the a/b/c examination list), head stuck in fortification, and the corpse name matching that of the head just after impact.

In the process of composing this piece I discovered that until a body actually hits the ground, it can keep receiving and tracking injuries, because it isn't technically dead:
...there were lots of examples of the bodies skidding along the ground, but something about a flying headless corpse doing this neckfirst just seemed amazing to me.

This one was... confusing:
I'm pretty sure a bruised lung is literally the least of your worries there, buddy, especially since I can't find your head (turns out it ended up in my blind spot off the side of the tower)... so yeah... a flying decapitated corpse is still alive enough to have trouble breathing due to bruised lungs?

Oh, and they don't behave like inert projectiles either, apparently:
He should have waited to become enraged until after he saw what comes next... well, not "saw" per se... since his head was in another location entirely.

Just after hitting Mr. "I have no head but I must rage", another gob stepped in front of me towards the hatch:
Which led to:
"RARRR, I AM SO MAD!"
*pop, no head*
"Rrrr... still pretty mad..."
*clunk, headless corpse impact in mid-air*
"...ok this is just getting ridiculous."

Most of them were pretty zen about the whole thing... this guy though was hilarious:
"I am not upset by this."
*clunk*
"OK DAMMIT, OW, I AM SO UPSET BY THIS!"
*pop, no head*

So yeah... that's a hell of a thing, and after tallying up around 200 new kills (okay, maybe that was an underestimate since I've got 296 now between those two weapons and the axe wasn't used for anything but the hydra and then gobslaughter) it is totally repeatable with the methods I mentioned above, was legendary with both weapons, and my agi was 3124 just now when I checked. If you don't want to use the modded metal it should still work fine with steel, though the mass of the axe may not have mattered as much as the order of the designated attacks: right (main) hand, battle axe, hack the head+multi, left (off) hand, war hammer, bash the head, hit comma, laugh manically when the war hammer connects first, keep doing it for far too long...
...then discover what an utter monster you have become.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 07:00:42 am by Max™ »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Omae wa mou shindeiru (Fun and Science with Flying Headless Goblins!)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 12:50:16 am »

Just checked and confirmed, it does not have to be modded or even artifact materials, dfhacked up a masterwork steel axe and silver hammer:
"Uh, hey other troll, watch out for that flying headless troll corpse!"
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 06:54:52 am by Max™ »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 02:23:22 am »

New discovery, you can feed on gobs in mid-air, but not if they're already dead:

You CAN, however feed on them in mid-air if you just cut them in half:

It is also utterly freaking hilarious to use the natural chokepoints in a goblin tower to make a big pile of injured gobs (was trying to geld some and regularly replacing the guts in my teeth with fresh ones, what?) and knock more into them:

I was disappointed to learn that despite the ridiculous bullet-time effect of having an ability put you at 9.9 speed, it isn't quite enough to dragonfall three alligators in quick succession and have them all be airborne at the same time:

You'd think creatures would learn that there is nothing more dangerous in the jungle than a psychotic little bloodsoaked dorf vampire chick casually swinging a hammer and axe around in each hand.

You'd think goblins would learn this as well, but I did get to find that generally as long as it is bipedal and you can send it flying, you can repeat this trick with it, even humans:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 06:53:11 am by Max™ »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 06:52:11 am »

Super long bump, but uh, I was playing around and giggling over how ridiculous it is to whack an elf with a slade maul and have them fly allll the way across the screen and die like 10 tiles away, found a hydra, was just trying to alternate hacking necks off with the axe and bashing brains with the maul...

Yeah... also added spoilers for the images to cut down on the page size a bit.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 06:55:16 am by Max™ »