Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for someone with Asterisk (PBX) system experience  (Read 2363 times)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
Looking for someone with Asterisk (PBX) system experience
« on: February 08, 2015, 10:43:06 pm »

I've got a friend who's gonna get a job interview for a company that requires its employees to have experience using Asterisk (PBX - Private Branch Exchange) systems, which he currently does not; he just knows how to set the system up, not actually use it or work with it or know the ins-and-outs of what it can do. Details can be found in that link. I just thought I'd poke around here in case anyone had some real knowledge of how to actually use this stuff, and if so, if they'd be willing to give a few pointers to someone just getting into the business. If anyone does, then please post here or send me a PM. Thanks.

(If you don't understand what Asterisk is, don't worry about it; I don't understand it fully myself, except that it involves using telephones to connect to each other and to services like VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol). If you don't have experience dealing with Asterisk specifically, please disregard this thread.)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for someone with Asterisk (PBX) system experience
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 02:08:51 am »

How much time does he have? I've played a bit with FreePBX, which is a graphical interface for Asterisk, but only a little bit and that's not exactly what he's looking for. However, I think that if he has the spare time, he should most definitely set up a few IP phones on his local network (you don't need actual phones, just get a softphone software like X-lite, which I think is free) and then get hands-on with it on his local network where he can change the settings, see what they do, and get at least a small amount of experience with it before he has to go in for his interview. There really isn't much substitute for that.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for someone with Asterisk (PBX) system experience
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 10:36:16 am »

Well, unfortunately, the interview is today, so I guess he really doesn't have much spare time. However, he impressed them enough to get that interview in the first place, which is an achievement in and of itself because the job offers about $60k a year. He'll most likely be able to get on their list, at least. Thank you for the tip, though -- I'll pass that right along to him.