Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 40

Author Topic: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 54 - 2 Players Needed  (Read 35931 times)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
Re: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 46
« Reply #510 on: April 07, 2015, 04:58:02 pm »

Some things I think would make for more interesting gameplay:

Conquered cities are reduced to pop 0 and given their own "destroyed" graphic, and you have to claim them to bring them back to pop 1, and then put your own population in to make the city functional again. This would eliminate "pop stealing" where taking other players' cities lets you hijack their invested population and even take it out of the city and put it elsewhere, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense and isn't present with villages. Conquering could also be done over multiple turns, with each conquer reducing the city's population by 1, so that larger cities take longer to conquer, which makes sense. Pop 0 cities could be conquered again to raze them completely. This would let people whose cities are under attack have a much larger window to prevent the city from being taken, which allows for more leeway in combat, and integrates razing seamlessly into the hard-coding.

Honestly, considering reverse-engineering the code and adding these improvements in myself, since Vanigo seems reluctant to either continue the project or release it open-source.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 07, 2015, 07:01:39 pm »

doesn't make a whole lot of sense and isn't present with villages.
Sure it is. Pop of the tile goes down by one when you conquer it, whether city or village. Villages just only happen to have 1 pop. And cities having their pop moved about;, it's just slavery is all. Nothing big.

Oh, and thanks for:

Rolepgeek just assumes everyone who disagrees with him is defensive.

Real nice, Squeegy. Had nothing to do with disagreement and everything to do with the tone of the response, text or no.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 07, 2015, 07:54:31 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Would have to agree with RPG re moving population from conquered cities being analogous to slavery.

I would maybe prefer amending what you suggest (nerfing a conquered town to pop 1) to having a random number of population erosion to reflect dead civvies and refugees leaving, though I'm not sure how you feel about trying to get the latter part into the game.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 07:58:10 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 07, 2015, 07:58:41 pm »

Some things I think would make for more interesting gameplay:

Conquered cities are reduced to pop 0 and given their own "destroyed" graphic, and you have to claim them to bring them back to pop 1, and then put your own population in to make the city functional again. This would eliminate "pop stealing" where taking other players' cities lets you hijack their invested population and even take it out of the city and put it elsewhere, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense and isn't present with villages. Conquering could also be done over multiple turns, with each conquer reducing the city's population by 1, so that larger cities take longer to conquer, which makes sense. Pop 0 cities could be conquered again to raze them completely. This would let people whose cities are under attack have a much larger window to prevent the city from being taken, which allows for more leeway in combat, and integrates razing seamlessly into the hard-coding.

Honestly, considering reverse-engineering the code and adding these improvements in myself, since Vanigo seems reluctant to either continue the project or release it open-source.
Yeah, there are a ton of things you could do to radically change the game with access to the source code, and quite a few interface improvements (eg. having a merge army button which allows you to merge two armies of any size with a single click).

That said, it is rather rude to reverse engineer someone's code when they explicitly say that they don't want to release it open source.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 07, 2015, 08:06:29 pm »

Goddamnit I keep posting before I add my turn.

I feel it's rather too punishing to the attacker, and to a point the defender, to reduce the pop by more than one.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 08, 2015, 01:31:19 am »

That said, it is rather rude to reverse engineer someone's code when they explicitly say that they don't want to release it open source.
He didn't explicitly say that. As far as I know he hasn't said anything on the subject.

Edit: Would have to agree with RPG re moving population from conquered cities being analogous to slavery.

I would maybe prefer amending what you suggest (nerfing a conquered town to pop 1) to having a random number of population erosion to reflect dead civvies and refugees leaving, though I'm not sure how you feel about trying to get the latter part into the game.
The thing is that this "slavery" mechanic doesn't mesh with the rest of the game. If "pop of the tile goes down by one when you conquer it" is the rule, then why do pop 2 cities have no effect? There's no coherent design philosophy there, it wasn't meant to imply slavery, that's just how the game "works." In every other aspect of the game but this one, the only population you get is the population you earn through conversion of Food. It all points to the idea that if the design were made consistent, you would only be able to get pop through that, and shouldn't be able to take it from other players. After all, as NQT said, you can't raze your own villages. If you can't enslave your people and force them to move elsewhere, why can you make slaves out of the subjects you gain when you conquer a city? It does not make sense from a game design POV.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 08, 2015, 01:45:19 am »

Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 08, 2015, 02:09:27 am »

Spoiler: Turn 46 (click to show/hide)
The Golden Horde scouts take the early morning, disappearing from the forest before the armies of the Kharen States can penetrate the treeline. But when the Horde comes to stake a claim on the river, they find Southerner huts already built there. Though perhaps not for long, as part of the Horde's scouting force sweeps unchallenged through the Southerners' undefended lands. Nearly half the Southern hold has fallen to the scouts, and while they may not be able to wipe them out without reinforcements, they are reduced to huddling in the Hold while the Westerner Dragoons ride closer on the horizon. Meanwhile, Kharen Cataphractii ride out of their own beleaguered lands to aid the Southerners. Fighting has been averted this time, but it cannot be delayed much longer.

Turn 47

Player interface
Admin Interface

Westerners - Pencil_Art
Islanders - hector13
Manen - Kashyyk
Southerners - SilverDragon
Kharen States - Rolepgeek
Golden Horde - notquitethere
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 47
« Reply #518 on: April 08, 2015, 03:53:11 am »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 08, 2015, 05:45:50 am »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 08, 2015, 02:49:01 pm »

The thing is that this "slavery" mechanic doesn't mesh with the rest of the game. If "pop of the tile goes down by one when you conquer it" is the rule, then why do pop 2 cities have no effect? There's no coherent design philosophy there, it wasn't meant to imply slavery, that's just how the game "works." In every other aspect of the game but this one, the only population you get is the population you earn through conversion of Food. It all points to the idea that if the design were made consistent, you would only be able to get pop through that, and shouldn't be able to take it from other players. After all, as NQT said, you can't raze your own villages. If you can't enslave your people and force them to move elsewhere, why can you make slaves out of the subjects you gain when you conquer a city? It does not make sense from a game design POV.

I had a bit of a spiel on my thoughts which got lost after internet nonsense :(

Summary: You can remove population from your towns, and it says in the orders window that you are using -1 pop (though I don't know if you get that the next turn, don't want to experiment 50 turns in :P) but I would consider that emigration rather than slavery (semantic arguments, yay!)

Uh... I said something about conquered towns... something along the lines of pop of conquered towns being returned to the previous owner (Player A conqueres town size 5 of Player B. A gets town size 1 next turn, B gets 4 extra pop) to reflect refugees, or the rest of the population just being massacred by invading armies, if you're not happy with the slavery thing. I think it makes sense, but I like to rationalise things endlessly.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 08, 2015, 03:11:04 pm »

I always saw the city capture as ruling over the natives, while killing those that opposed. When you do it to villages, there's not enough people left alive to rule over.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 08, 2015, 03:46:39 pm »

You can remove population from your towns, and it says in the orders window that you are using -1 pop (though I don't know if you get that the next turn, don't want to experiment 50 turns in :P) but I would consider that emigration rather than slavery (semantic arguments, yay!)
You can use it on the same turn you remove the population, but like expansion and and city increases, this doesn't affect the free poop number you see in the players window until next turn.

Regarding the theft of other players' pop with conquering, I would've liked it if villages didn't get razed on conquering, but that might have made things a bit unbalanced. Would have changed gameplay a load if nothing else.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 08, 2015, 04:12:44 pm »

I had a bit of a spiel on my thoughts which got lost after internet nonsense :(

Summary: You can remove population from your towns, and it says in the orders window that you are using -1 pop (though I don't know if you get that the next turn, don't want to experiment 50 turns in :P) but I would consider that emigration rather than slavery (semantic arguments, yay!)

Uh... I said something about conquered towns... something along the lines of pop of conquered towns being returned to the previous owner (Player A conqueres town size 5 of Player B. A gets town size 1 next turn, B gets 4 extra pop) to reflect refugees, or the rest of the population just being massacred by invading armies, if you're not happy with the slavery thing. I think it makes sense, but I like to rationalise things endlessly.
I'd prefer the system I outlined, because I don't think the pop should be returned to them either (conquering is the destroying of pop), and I like that it will drag out the conquest of cities somewhat.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 08, 2015, 05:08:52 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 40