Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 40

Author Topic: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 54 - 2 Players Needed  (Read 33999 times)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile

Once upon a time, there was a peaceful realm. At one corner of this realm, there was a land untouched by civilization, where men and beast still roamed free, and resources lay untapped beneath the ground. It was inevitable that some would come to these fertile lands to stake their claim, and when they did, they brought war and strife along with them.

The Westerners came with colonists, in search of the vast wealth the land was said to contain.
The Islanders came because their own lands were full, and they could only expand across the sea.
The Natives had always been here, but now found themselves forced to rapidly advance to survive.
The Southerners came to flee the Golden Horde, which ravaged their desert homeland and destroyed their settlements.
The Easterners came out of contempt for their former government, seeking to establish a new country that suited them better.

These five factions would soon find themselves at each others' throats, seeking to determine the fate of the fertile lands they now called home.

If you're unfamiliar with the Vanigo system, check out the tutorial below.

Turn 0

Vanigo Tutorial
Player interface
Admin Interface

To sign up, choose a faction. You may move the faction's starting town 3 squares in any direction if you like. You may also rename it to whatever you want, and even change the color. The goal of the game is to destroy all the other factions, but after 40 turns the Golden Horde will begin to trickle in through the southern mountain pass. Gods help anyone who gets in their way.

Signups
Westerners - Pencil_Art
Islanders - hector13
Natives - scapheap
Southerners - SilverDragon
Easterners - Criptfiend
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 03:29:14 pm by Squeegy »
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game [0/5]
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 09:46:57 am »

Looks like a cool game, I'd like to give it a try. I'll take the Southerners.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
Re: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game [1/5]
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 11:30:15 am »

I'll try Natives
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game [2/5]
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 07:55:18 pm »

Alright. You guys don't want to change the starting location or name of your country?
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game [2/5]
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 12:14:26 am »

I'll take Westerners. I might come up with a better name later and location.

[Thanks]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 12:27:42 am by Pencil_Art »

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game [3/5]
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 04:53:47 am »

No problem.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 05:40:11 am »

Whew, I gota say, after actually reading the rules and all, especially the mechanics behind population growth and tile claiming, the map seems super huge. I'm not totally sure what the best amount of tiles is, but it seems to be at least three times larger then the game that happened in the thread you linked for the interface tutorial (with only 50% more players.). And it seems like it's probably going to take us a huge amount of time to actually reach each other and get into conflict.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 05:53:51 am »

It's actually only slightly larger than the one being used in The Dark Age, but it has more land because it's not an island. That's why I gave you all three units to start with, so you could set to claiming land immediately.

There will still most likely be a period of buildup before you actually get down to skirmishing, but that's common in 4X games.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 06:32:27 am »

I'm fine with location. I'll go for the name Manen(Norwegian for moon)
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 06:50:02 am »

It's actually only slightly larger than the one being used in The Dark Age, but it has more land because it's not an island. That's why I gave you all three units to start with, so you could set to claiming land immediately.

Don't you claim land by using population? (To be fair, I've not been able to find the actual rules for the game except for a two year thread, so I guess they could have changed.)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 06:57:37 am »

You claim land by moving a unit over it and conquering it. It increases the tile's population to 1, which may be what you're thinking of.

Once we get 5 players, I'll go over the basics of playing the game, since the tutorial doesn't cover it all.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 07:01:22 am »

Ahhh! That makes a lot more sense. The way I was thinking of was that you needed to move a free population onto a tile to claim it, which would mean you could only expand like... Once every two turns or so (at least at the start.)

Being able to take them with military units seems like it will be a lot faster, thanks for clearing that up.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 07:40:12 am »

As someone who's played a reasonable number of these games (albeit never winning), I'd suggest starting all the nations with a couple of extra tiles, just to get more food that little bit quicker.

Also, if everyone is okay with it, I wouldn't mind giving comments/criticism/suggestions for each turn. This does however pose the chance that I may notice and bring up something in thread that a player was hoping to go unnoticed.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 08:00:06 am »

I was thinking of giving them a few tiles. Maybe 3 extra.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 06:34:17 pm »

Hey, if it's okay, I'd like to swap to playing the Easterners (I hope it's okay, since no one else as shown interest in them yet).

I'll move it two SW to 34, 23, and rename the town to "New Tempest"
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 06:37:11 pm by Criptfeind »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 40