Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 40

Author Topic: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 54 - 2 Players Needed  (Read 33942 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game [3/5]
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 07:18:08 pm »

I wanted the Easterners :(

I'll take the Islanders instead then.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game [3/5]
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 08:15:26 pm »

You claim land by moving a unit over it and conquering it. It increases the tile's population to 1, which may be what you're thinking of.

Once we get 5 players, I'll go over the basics of playing the game, since the tutorial doesn't cover it all.
No, you claim land by having a owned tile adjacent to it, and then claiming it. You don't need troops in or adjacent to it (although you can't claim any land that has enemy troops in it).
You can also claim land by having a boat adjacent to it (which is the only way to claim other islands).

Having troops to start does make a pretty big tactical difference though, especially if they are stronger then spearmen.

Suggestions:
Add more iron sources.
Add rivers (which can be done by clicking on the "no river button"). You really want to add a significant amount for each portion of the map to speed up pop growth (which on a map this size is going to be massively important).
Give more mountains/hills to Islanders (for stone).
Give some close by sources of wood/stone to the Native Tribesmen.
Some bonus food on some of the coastal water tiles (otherwise there is almost literally no reason to claim any).
Give each starting player bonus pop to start (in addition to a few more tiles). With a map this large +10 might even be advisable. You may also want to give them some starting land in addition.
Do something with the top 5 tiles of the map. I would suggest removing them, but I'm not quite sure how you would go about that short of a program to edit the game code or redoing it all manually. You could also throw in some northern islands over there.
The easterners appear to have a pretty big advantage: They only have a single potential enemy, whereas everyone else starts with 2+ people that *can* attack them.

You also have to make a big decision.
A) You play with the default rules. This includes mages, endgame units, magical creatures, and some rare resources.
B) You play with the rules used in NQT's game, which I edited to take out all magical units and quite a few of the endgame stuff.
C) You play with a set of rules (also developed by me) that has some notable balance changes. Notably: Melee cavalry have speed 4, ranged cavalry are noticeably weaker (but get to keep speed 5), there are some speed 1 heavy infantry, pikemen/halberdiers get 50% better chargebreaker, and battering rams are removed and replaced by ballistas (25% siege, but are strong range 10 units).
D) You make your own set of rules, which while not very hard, seems a bit unlikley with how well you know the game.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
Re: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game [4/5]
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 09:02:25 pm »

I updated the original map in the OP. I recommend everyone take a look at it. Feel free to trade factions if you want to play a different one.

lemon, I'd like to see your balanced rules. I was just going to use NQT's, but that sounds like it has some good changes.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 10:49:31 pm »

Here you go. Note that its not compatible with the old set of rules due to the battering ram unit being removed.
E: Here is a link to your current map in progress, but with the ruleset swapped.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 11:01:15 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 11:43:58 pm »

Yep, I know how to do that.

Would you like to play the Southerners, lemon? They're probably the most challenging faction since they start right next to where the Golden Horde will come from. It might be appropriate to have someone as familiar with the game as you face that challenge.

I understand if you're committed to too many games, however.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 12:03:15 pm »

I don't suppose we could get a bit of a rundown on the actual rules of the system before we formally start the game yes?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 12:07:38 pm »

I think Squeegy is waiting for five players before doing that.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 12:08:51 pm »

That is correct.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2015, 04:34:06 pm »

I'll take southerners if none mind.
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2015, 05:46:28 pm »

Yep, I know how to do that.

Would you like to play the Southerners, lemon? They're probably the most challenging faction since they start right next to where the Golden Horde will come from. It might be appropriate to have someone as familiar with the game as you face that challenge.

I understand if you're committed to too many games, however.
Na, I would prefer to take a replacement slot. It's too easy if I start with everyone else. (Cockiness intensifies). It would be one thing if they had played before, but since none of them have, I would have too much of an advantage.

Not to mention that SilverDragon just claimed it.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2015, 06:05:17 pm »

And for some tutorial stuff. Note that their is a ton of information there, but quite a bit of it is to answer questions that you will probably end up having later on.

Spoiler: Basic game tutorial (click to show/hide)

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2015, 10:18:57 pm »

And for some tutorial stuff. Note that their is a ton of information there, but quite a bit of it is to answer questions that you will probably end up having later on.

Spoiler: Basic game tutorial (click to show/hide)
Thanks. I think I'll move my starting city two squares down, onto the river tile.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 0
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2015, 12:24:25 am »

Okay, would any of the rest of you like to change your civilization's name, starting location, or color before we begin?
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2015, 04:17:41 am »

I'm okay with my start position and name, but it'd be great if you could change that yellow to a less overbearing colour.
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2015, 04:34:08 am »

Thanks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 40