Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: ☼SpawnedFlies☼ A Hive Wasp fortress☼ 1st Year Is Over-Overseers Needed  (Read 7635 times)

MDFHIVEWASP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Greetings and welcome to SpawnedFlies, the first succession/tutorial fort for the Hivemind Wasps. What's a Hivemind Wasp, you might ask.

Hivemind wasps are a race of humanoid wasps created for masterwork. They emphasize on animal usage and genetically improving their units, and reproduce by infecting living creatures with larvae.

Currently, they are missing tiles, but otherwise they are pretty much complete.

If you want to learn more about them, here is their thread

World name: Camade

World: smaller
History: short
Civs: V.high
Sites: V.high
Beasts: V.high
Savagery: V.low
Minerals: Everywhere

Players play for 1 year in game or 1 week in real life

Player list:
1: Insanegame27(skipped)
2: than402(completed)
3: RexInvictus(timed out)
4: Insanegame27 (current)
5: Than402

Year 1-Introduction
Year 1-Spring
Year 1-Summer
Year 1-Autumn
Year 1-Winter + Save

Year 2-Spring
Year 2-Summer

Diary of "Insanegame27" Afantziuster, First overseer of SpawnedFlies
1st entry,
Of course the queen sends me to settle a colony with no protection at all. I mean, really, not giving me any soldiers to defend the hive. Good thing I brought my own staff-sling with me, the others may laugh, but I really don't want to meet dwarves without a weapon of some sort. Of course, I'm a qualified mechanic, so we can last off traps for a bit.
Why did the queen send me to make a hive in the middle of a freshwater marsh? But, who can flaw the queen's logic? and live...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Anyway, Even if those nasty dwarves do come, It's not like we've got no protection. We brought 4 hornet bees (1 drone), 2 royal scorpions, and 2 great cockroaches.

Embark equipment

Wasps

We have arrived
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 07:35:07 pm by MDFHIVEWASP »

MDFHIVEWASP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼SpawnedFlies☼ A masterwork community Hive Wasp fortress☼
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 02:41:46 am »

Reserved

MDFHIVEWASP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 02:42:32 am »

Reserved

MDFHIVEWASP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 02:47:51 am »

reserved

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 04:43:56 am »

I'll have round two

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 05:32:35 am »

As a convention, when it's your turn, re-name the previous overseer's profession as [number]th overseer(retired) and name a wasp of your choosing 'your username' and have the profession name as [number]th overseer
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 05:45:22 am »

sure. you should also upload a map of the site.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 07:41:56 am »

okay, Insane is unable to take his turn, so I will start this fort instead. My first priority will be to show off their playstyle and quirks. If anyone wants to be wasped or take a turn, please say so.

Introduction

Diary of "than402" Peraxitsin

1st Granite, 126

So, we finally arrived. Insanegame27 (really, does the queen have any imagination at all? it's understandable for 2 or 3 wasps to carry the same name, but for 27? and don't get me started on my litter and my other 401 siblings named "than".) gathered us all and said that we must choose a leader to build the hive. And since no one wanted to, we decided to elect one with the ancient and sacred rite know as "pick up sticks and the one who chooses the shortest one is the sucker". Guess who "won...

Spoiler: Colonist (click to show/hide)

So, since I'll be leading this hive for the foreseeable future, I might as well do it right.

At first glance, the area seems nice: Fire clay on the hill, fresh water, no giant dingoes in sight, trees, plants... we might as well make it. We do have a few asps to take care of, but nothing too dangerous. Insanegame assured me that there are also multiple metals to be found, and I spotted some pretty tasty anteaters. I would definitely like to capture and tame a few of these. Or at least hunt them down. So, let's begin. Bite the earth!

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 03:01:52 pm by than402 »

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spring, 126

2nd Granite, 126

Building a wall should be our first order of business. A hive can survive virtually forever underground, but without soldiers our chances of defeating even a small enemy warband are slim.

Spoiler: worker caste wasps (click to show/hide)

Unlike other races, we won't have to mine out and deforest half the region to accomplish that. We only need to build a couple of Wood Pulpers and we're good to go.

In order to get our hands on some paper cement, however, we first need to craft a few mechanisms and a millstone. Insanegame can craft the mechanisms, Logel can craft the millstone and Kores and Xeki know how to mine. I've ordered them to mine down until they find usable stone.

Spoiler: Wood Pulpers (click to show/hide)

After a while they return.

"chief, we found something" With my luck it will be a Forgotten Beast

...Well, that's interesting. At least we'll have underground plants and stone. They also found gems and a Sphalerite vein. I would have preferred it to be limonite, but hey! It's better than nothing. I've ordered them to seal it off for now. Aside from gems, mushrooms and zinc, this cavern may also contain giant spiders, troglodytes and cave trolls. Too risky for now. The excavation will continue elsewhere.

3rd Granite, 126

With the gneiss we found, we can finally gen on with constructing those Wood Pulpers. I've designated some more space to be mined, and also some trees to be chopped and temporary food and wood stockpiles. As for me and Ipozki, we'll go gather some plants.

16th Slate, 126

Time sure passes quickly... We finally have something that passes for a farming industry, the two Wood Pulpers are ready, the cavern is sealed and I can finally start designing the wall. Let's get the pulpers running, people!

Spoiler: using a Wood Pulper (click to show/hide)

11th Felsite, 126

The wall is shaping up rather nicely. I will build four drawbridges: One in the north will be always open and will be the "official" entrance, while the other two(to the south to the east and to the west) shall be opened only if I want the military to sneak in or out in case of emergency.

Once this is done, we will start crafting trade goods, build a depot and grow some weapons. We have already built the necessary workshops.

1st Hematite, 126

Summer has arrived and the wall is almost ready. I have set a new food stockpile (underground, along with our plump helmet farms) and a new wood stockpile.

Now all we have to do is finish the wall, connect the bridges and move the animals (four hornet bees, two giant scorpions, two great cockroaches, a slugsnake and a female orc "slave" (withing brackets since they don't actually do any work, wasps are cannibalistic and they're more like livestock and larva fodder)

Spoiler: waspen animals (click to show/hide)

Then we will start crafting furniture, trade goods and we will grow our first equipment.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 03:00:38 pm by than402 »

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm up for it. Never played Wasps before, though, so it'll be !!FUN!!.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm up for it. Never played Wasps before, though, so it'll be !!FUN!!.

I'm sure we'll be fine. wasps are pretty powerful once you get used to their mechanisms.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 01:08:54 pm by than402 »

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Summer,126

8th Malachite, 126

Some much appreciated migrants appeared. They brought with them a male orc, an orcish child, a baby stag beetle and a baby green weaver.

Spoiler: More waspen animals (click to show/hide)

Even better, one of them is a soldier caste!

Spoiler: Soldier Castes (click to show/hide)

I went to greet them and asked them about their professions:

"Fisherman"
"Wax Worker"
"Jeweller"
"Shearer"
"Woodworker",

said the workers

"Erhm... a little bit of this, a little bit of that..." said the soldier caste, named Sanko. He looked big enough, but not too bright.

"Do you have any combat skills?" I asked, not expecting much

"No, sorry"

"Well, you have to learn some. You'll be the leader of our military."

"A swarmlord? Cool. So, I need an office, a bedroom, a dining room and a tomb. Also, a weapon stand and an armor rack!"

"It's weapon rack and armor stand. And you'll be an enforcer, not a swarmlord"

"Awww. Well I still need the rack and the stand"

"But you don't even have weapons or armor!"

"Hey, I don't tell you how to craft stuff, don't tell me how to kill stuff."

Typical... But I'll have to accept and hope for the best.

After that I went back to the Cement Worker. I need to build a well. Thankfully, I found a rope reed while gathering plants, so we can craft a rope. Mechanisms and building material we have plenty. Well, back to work.

1st Galena, 126

Okay, the well is complete, we have enough cages to build a defensive perimeter in our entrance and depot and the fisherman is fishing. I have slaughtered a hornet bee and gave the orders to cultivate some stinger colonies.

Spoiler: Stinger Colonies (click to show/hide)

Hopefully, we will have some organic weapons growing before the end of the summer.

7th Galena, 126

Finally, the stinger colonies are ready and we can start producing some bio weapons for the "enforcer". A basic, two month spear will do for now, but we will need better quality organic matter for the armor. We will need to eventually build  a Chapel To The Depths, because only Priests of the Deep know how to properly pack meat and hides into useful shapes (though they typically use them for sacrifices rather than weapon growing), but otherwise we are ready to grow our first weapon.

Spoiler: Growing weapons (click to show/hide)

The would-be speared now looked like a squirming mass of chitin and flesh, with a paper skeleton to hold it in place and tiny insects crawling out, chewing a bit of the meat and then going in again.

"Are you sure we've done it right?", asked Insanegame "I did everything you said, but it looks... strange"

"Yes, everything went fine. Just give it some time for the insects to die and turn solid", responded a wasp by the name of Miru Lordfire. We just left the "spear" there. Let's wait and see, then.

13th Galena, 126

The caravan arrived, but I don't think we have something to sell them. I want to buy their meat and leather a lot, however, so I ordered for the best mechanisms, some splints and crutches and whatever crafts we had managed to produce to be brought to the depot. I also hastily appointed Miru as a trader. Which means, I must find it some quarters, an office and a dining room, but whatever. As long as I get my hands on their stuff. I also ordered for a Chapel to be built.

Spoiler: Trader (click to show/hide)

1st Limestone, 126

We've traded whatever we had for as much scales as we could afford. Now we have to wait until the next batch is complete. I have built the Chapel and, with the priests' help, we finally have a nice, tight pack of processed scales. But we only have two stinger colonies, and we need to craft two more if we are to make the armor set we want. I need to butcher another hornet bee.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Autumn,126

2nd Limestone, 126

I had two revelations this morning:

The first I had while listening to that poor excuse of an enforcer grumbling about the armor stand and the weapon rack (nevermind that we don't even have bedrooms yet): Sanko is an idiot and us workers may need to take up arms to defend the hive. That's why I'm gonna have an archery range built.

The second I had after I had ordered the other wasps for the archery range: Every hive needs a Queen, and we don't have one. It would be a shame for our hive to perish or of someone unworthy to rise up and determine whose the future generations' mother is.

I'm also gonna have a Waspen Mind and an Infectory built. And quickly.

(later that day)

Well, that was fast

Spoiler: Archery Range (click to show/hide)

I mandated some bullets, quivers, staff slings and rope to be made. The enemy won't find us unprepared!

20th Limestone, 126

The envoy asked what we'll need. I told him seeds, meat, leather and some slaves for infection. He fared us well and went on his way.

Why does the Waspen Mind takes so long?

25th Limestone, 126

Finally! The Waspen Mind and the Infectory are ready. Now we'll finally have a queen.

Spoiler: Waspen Mind, Infectory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: A Queen is born (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Queens (click to show/hide)

28th Limestone, 126

I'm still getting used to my new body. Not even three days had passed, and I already spawned an egg.

Spoiler: Waspen Eggs (click to show/hide)

What was I thinking earlier... Oh yes, we'll need bedrooms for peasants and nobles and proper offices and dining rooms. And more crafts and furniture. And we must also finish the grown armor already...

1st Sandstone, 126

Good news from the miners. We found iron at last.

11th Sandstone, 126

The bedrooms and the offices are moving on just fine, I keep spawning eggs and the growing weapon finally appears to have matured.

Spoiler: Finishing a grown item (click to show/hide)

16th Sandstone, 126

More migrants are here, with animals, including a baby sparrow killer. I wonder if there's any drones among them...

The miners also inform me that we have struck cassiterite. If we find copper, we'll be awesome.

18th Sandstone, 126

I've met the migrants. Among them there is another soldier (hopefully better than Sanko) and a drone. Interesting...

Spoiler: Drones (click to show/hide)

Also, we have finally cleaned the spear and made a... set of armor.

The spear looked... weird: It appears the insects had eaten the meat, multiplied and died. now the spear was hard, smooth and looked like it was made from a mummified living organism (which is basically what happened). It had a reddish brown color and felt surprisingly light.

As for the armor, we have used another recipe to make a harder set. It will take twice the time to grow, but will also be twice as effective. For now, it's just a squirming rotten mass...

1st Moonstone, 126

The drone sure took his sweet time fertilizing my eggs, but finally he did it.

Also, I finally built bedrooms for everyone and an office for the trader (and then sent it to do its job), as well as furnaces.

Hopefully, we will have smelted iron soon enough. After that... well more crafts, more dead trees to fuel the Pulpers and maybe a still or two. Booze could help raise the morale, and what kind of queen doesn't want her citizens to be happy? We have had it easy so far, and I don't expect any troubles in the winter. Hopefully, i will be right.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Winter, 126

9th Moonstone, 126

Interesting. It appears our site is located on top of an even older site. I'll definitely have to check it out.

Spoiler: Archeologists (click to show/hide)

18th Moonstone, 126

Our archeologists and smelter are hard at work. All sorts of things can be found in the ruins. For now we found a really nice looking mithril set of armor. With a bit of reshaping, it can be used by our troops. I wonder if the people living here were elves or dwarves.

And if they left other, left benign stuff behind them...

Also, we have started smelting the sphalerite. The results were a ton of slag and some zinc. Now we can make metal cement.

Spoiler: Wasps and smelting (click to show/hide)

3rd Obsidian, 126

We built a Hive Caller. Once we have enough souls, we can use it to summon mighty beasts!

Spoiler: Hive Callers (click to show/hide)

Also, we finally have a dining room. Booze will also start coming soon.

16th Obsidian

Slaughtered a few creatures (the Green Weaver, the Sparrow Killer and the female Great Cockroack, as it had give birth to twin females and was no longer needed). Now we have enough souls to use the Hive Caller and enough meat to make some more Artificial Blood

And we've got a female slugsnake. Not bad.

Spoiler: A known bug (click to show/hide)

Finally, we have butchered the organic armor. The other wasps say it should be about as hard as iron. It should do, for now, though we can already outfit our soldiers with the findings from the ruins. At least we know that the next soldier to come will already have proper gear.

1st Granite, 127

A new year dawns. According to tradition, I now have to step down from leadership, but I want to see at least one of my eggs hatch and become a Hivemind Wasp proper. I'll keep the power of about one week, and then I'll make room for another overseer. I've already ordered an orcish child to be sent to the Infectory and I made enough artificial blood for it to survive the "operation". Now I only need to wait for the egg to hatch.

4th Granite, 127

The egg has hatched and the barrels with the blood are here. Now it's time to begin the operation.

Spoiler: Larvae (click to show/hide)

(Here I would write a description of the infecting process, but it would probably be too gory and disturbing, even by bay12 standards. Even worse, I'm not a native English speaker so for all I know I could be writing the next Plan 9 From Outer Space instead. Suffice to say it involves primitive blood transfusion and the larva chewing its way to the inside of the unlucky orcish child, then popping out.)

The new larva popped out of the now dead orc. It was pitch black and covered in blood. It was also quite small, even for a worker. I probably should have used a mature orc instead, but what's done is done.

"Welcome to the world, my child", Than402 said.

"I am your mother, Than the 402nd, and this is Spawnedflies, your home."

The new wasp spat some blood and then spoke:

"Who am I?"

"Your name shall be Hia Fortressfungal. I see you are quite small, but don't worry. You'll be a perfectly fit worker in about a year or so. You shall be put to work like everyone else after that time has passed, but until then feel free to explore the hive. Meet the other wasps. See the work."

"Yes... mother. Explore the hive. Meet the other wasps. See the work. Just give me some time to get used to my new body."

Than climbed back up. She was feeling quite proud. The industries were running, the wasps were happy, well fed and had their own beds and the livestock were multiplying. Soon more migrants would come, bringing soldiers and more creatures with them. It won't be long before the whole area bows down to the Hivemind Wasps and to Spawnedflies.

Okay, I believe I covered the basics on how to build and develop a successful hive. The hive will now be played as a succession fort with Rex Invictus being next in line. If someone has any questions, just ask here or on the mod's thread.

Also, I "stole" 4 days worth of time from the next year and cheated a bit to have the eggs hatch quickly, but I believe explaining a good part of their reproduction was important

here's the save file

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10603
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 02:40:49 pm by than402 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4