Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 153243 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
« Reply #930 on: April 24, 2015, 08:42:03 pm »

My friend's advice when I first started was:

1. Craft Tetsucabra armor. Use it until high rank. Upgrade it with armor stones.
2. In high rank, craft something but keep it until G-rank. Upgrade it with armor stones.

So I used the Tetsucabra armor until high rank, then used the Seltas armor until G-rank.

The reason for this is mostly because armor becomes immediately redundant when you change tiers. Also you don't want to waste super rare parts on stuff you're going to throw away.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: April 25, 2015, 10:47:26 am »

Unless you like shiny things, then you can make 2 dozen armor sets like me and not use most of them.

*Cries*

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: April 25, 2015, 02:49:01 pm »

I finally did it, soloed G rank crimson fatalis. after about 20 tries with various weapons, I finally made an insect glaive with 96 stamina, 96 speed and 72 dragon element(108 total) on it. Then I just used the charge bug on it, using the pheromones when I knew where its head was going to be, which let me break the face and horns really quickly. I also killed it the first try with the dragon kinsect.

I didn't know this before but unlike a normal weapon that has its element reduced by 1/10th, the kinsect will get multiplied by 2.5, so 72 dragon element is 180, charge multiplies it by 1.5, so that is 270 dragon element being applied every charge attack(potentially every 1.5 seconds or so).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 02:52:32 pm by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: April 25, 2015, 11:18:02 pm »

I finally did it, soloed G rank crimson fatalis. after about 20 tries with various weapons, I finally made an insect glaive with 96 stamina, 96 speed and 72 dragon element(108 total) on it. Then I just used the charge bug on it, using the pheromones when I knew where its head was going to be, which let me break the face and horns really quickly. I also killed it the first try with the dragon kinsect.

I didn't know this before but unlike a normal weapon that has its element reduced by 1/10th, the kinsect will get multiplied by 2.5, so 72 dragon element is 180, charge multiplies it by 1.5, so that is 270 dragon element being applied every charge attack(potentially every 1.5 seconds or so).
Geez, that's a lot of elemental damage. I didn't realize kinsects alone could be such powerhouses.

I feel like the only thing keeping Glaive from being the most popular weapon is the amount of time, money, and spreadsheets you have to put into developing them. :P

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: April 25, 2015, 11:45:46 pm »

Today I killed a Seltas queen in the arena and learned how to use a lance at the same time. I keep trying to dodge and jumping the wrong way.
Other than that I can see why people like it. I should try it with some armor that actually works with it (such as that Guard+ and Super Guard armor someome suggested (or whatever it was)).

I found two [Torso Up] armor pieces, one is the Remobra belt and one is a shoes, forget which. I can't find many Torso parts that would actually go good with being multiplied, though, since in most cases the boots and faulds are better than the torso. I could try to go with what was suggested above (Gore+something), but I worry that if I fight the Gore again, I might fail.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: April 26, 2015, 12:18:29 am »

What would be a good weapon for me to change to after primarily using the long sword and the light bowgun?  I've just reached the part of the game after the frenzied congala appears, and I'm starting to have trouble taking down a number of the monsters. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: April 26, 2015, 12:44:05 am »

Longsword is a good weapon, I don't see why you should have to switch out of it...

If you want something similar, you could go for Switchaxe. It's quite powerful, and while it might take you a bit to learn an entirely new weapon, it has both reach and speed which are similar to Longsword. The only thing it lacks is defensive abilities; the Longsword has those useful dodge attacks, and a number of other weapons have the ability to block - Switchy has none of that. It's a very berserker-like weapon. Fast, strong, and risky.

I have a friend who swears by it, though, so hey, it's got to be pretty good.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: April 26, 2015, 03:03:09 am »

HBG is the go-to weapon for DPS. Want to kill a Najarala or a Gravios in 60 seconds? HBG is your weapon of choice. Akantor? Pfft... more like, Ah-Can't-Handle-All-These-Pierce-Shots amirite?

Also, everyone loves having HBG in their room. It means if the HBG guy is good, the hunt goes way faster.

If you just want to attack fast and move around a lot, then bugstaff or dual blades is good. Or just stick to what you're using until G-rank. It's what I did. 800 hunts with the CB baby.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: April 26, 2015, 03:35:36 am »

Hunting Horns are really good for solo play, honest :P
thincake

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: April 26, 2015, 05:04:20 am »

Hunting Horns are really good for solo play, honest :P
Well duh, they're the best weapon in the game, obvs.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: April 26, 2015, 06:46:33 am »

Lance is an evasive weapon. It benefits from evasion skills like Evade+2 and Evade UP. If you want the tank playstyle with Guard+ and Guard UP then it's gunlance.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: April 26, 2015, 08:48:41 am »

Lance is an evasive weapon. It benefits from evasion skills like Evade+2 and Evade UP. If you want the tank playstyle with Guard+ and Guard UP then it's gunlance.
You can guard lance quite well, anytime you see me using a lance I'm using guard. Vs the gore magala I end up taking 0 damage unless I'm careless. Counter lancing is quite popular, since you can chain the R+A in your combo of attacks, exception being the 3rd attack.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: April 26, 2015, 08:59:54 am »

All the lance guides I see swears by Evasion as the best since you spend less time recovering and more time vigorously thrusting.

Playing Lance defensively doesn't really compare to the power of Gunlance tanking but that's just me. With Gunlance, you can blow your wad in-between blocks instead getting 1 or 2 thrust in per block.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 09:02:27 am by majikero »

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: April 26, 2015, 09:07:19 am »

Don't look down on the evasive capabilities of the Switch Axe. Being able to dodge between any two attacks is powerful, especially with every attack actually doing considerable damage in relatively short intervals.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: April 26, 2015, 09:32:00 am »

Same could be said for evasion and the greatsword since the only time your vulnerable is if your in the middle of charging, otherwise you can just roll. The better greatsword users will never use the horizontal attack. Then again, the kind of hit and run playstyle that I use with the greatsword almost requires quick sheath and crit draw.

Also, lance counter is about on par with guardpoint with the charge blade, except that you can chain other hits or an evade when you counter as well.

It should also be noted there are some enemies you do NOT want to guard counter against, like the zinogre, who is very fast at chaining attacks. Evasion lancing is better against the zinogre, where the tigrex would be better to use guard lancing.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 09:36:19 am by etgfrog »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 95