Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [SPOILER] A question about certain structures changing  (Read 2225 times)

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
[SPOILER] A question about certain structures changing
« on: February 11, 2015, 03:26:31 pm »

Well, the title isn't the best, but I don't want to put spoilers in a title.

I have been looking for an underworld portal in Dark Fortresses. In the last world I created I checked 13 Dark Fortresses, of which 9 contained spires made of slade. Not a single one had access to the underworld. (The other 4 were grey on the map, so I figured they are grey because they don't have a slade spire in the middle.)
Then I decided that the world must be bugged and I gave up the search to create a new, smaller world.
This time I actually went and CHECKED if the closest Dark Fortress has an underworld portal - and it had! ... then I restarted a new adventurer, since the other one met an untimely demise in the depths deep below ... and after a few ingame months of making equipment(, building my own nice home thanks to advfort) and training up skills of all kinds, I decided to leave that warm cozy place I called home and venture into the depths below that massive heavy stone spire...
BUT ... this time there was no underworld portal. And I'm 100% sure there had been one before. I even checked another Dark Fortress; nothing there either.

So, how can it be that they suddenly disappear after spending some time playing? Why did the structure suddenly change?

(I also checked one slade spire in an earlier world when I didn't have DFHack and such, running the unmodified version.)
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: [SPOILER] A question about certain structures changing
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 03:39:59 pm »

Sites can reload and get regenerated between adventurers as I recall. I've only had one fortress which wasn't bugged and had the proper access to fun, had a few I've manually added stairs/ramps in the missing spots with tiletypes, and the first vault I ever found was full of non-aggressive trolls and ogres instead of angels, had no access to the rest of the levers due to a floor being where a ramp was supposed to go, and the final boss in the room with the big slab?

...a giant earthworm.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 11:13:36 pm »

Im still yet to find a vault, I guess thats the negative side with large island worlds.
But a few legends searches say vaults on some worlds but none on others? Can a world be made without a vault?
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 02:10:40 pm »

Interesting. I went back to the first place and now it has an underworld staircase at the bottom. This is weird.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 07:33:54 pm »

Dark fortresses, those are the gobbo prison sites, as I call them? The "box office"? With angels/"stars" later on? I'm coming up with new spoiler terms, I guess...

EDIT: The things which have builtin security unless you `exterminate TROLL` because of how much lag they generate?
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 04:21:12 am »

How do you play in dark fortresses? They become super slow due to the amount of goblins there.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 02:35:53 pm »

How do you play in dark fortresses? They become super slow due to the amount of goblins there.

I once fixed the lag problem in a dark fortress. I did so by killing a little over 10 thousand of them. c: good times.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 11:28:38 pm »

I'm not sure how but I keep encountering dark forts with nobody in them.

I don't mean "everyone is dead" either, I mean NOBODY AT ALL, no bodies, no blood, totally pristine, occasionally when I get down to the pits that usually have like a billion trolls I'll find a couple humans or elves or maybe even some gobs... it's not every fort in these worlds, but it's been a few times now. On the one hand it makes for a nice lag-free stroll through a fortress area... on the other hand it's surprisingly boring without all the blood and guts and screaming goblins trying to decide whether having their guts bitten and torn out by a 7 year old dorflet vampire girl is better or worse than having a troll punch your brains into goop.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 03:25:45 pm »

Dark fortresses, those are the gobbo prison sites, as I call them? The "box office"? With angels/"stars" later on? I'm coming up with new spoiler terms, I guess...

EDIT: The things which have builtin security unless you `exterminate TROLL` because of how much lag they generate?
They are the Slade spire version of the Goblin children-correctional-institutions or Troll-infested-lag-fests.

The Goblins aren't even the main problem as mentioned before, the Trolls below are what causes all the lag. With my custom race - it uses Dwarf sites as a substitute - I had over 4'600 Trolls in 3 chunks (?!) sitting in the cave layer(s) around the fortress...("exterminate TROLL" was the only way to get out of there it felt like...)
What annoys me is that they don't even attack you on sight. It's like, you have to kill each and everyone of them by using the aimed attack...and even when you slaughtered a few dozen of them they still seem unfazed by your genocidal intentions towards their population. One time, playing a Necromancer Dwarf, I just raised the skeletons around in their cave and watched them be slaughtered by them. Still didn't reduce the lag, considering that out of the several thousand I maybe killed 500 in the end.

About the empty dark fortresses, ... I had some of those as well, seems like sometimes they just get abbandoned. Doesn't even matter if it is a "slade spire"-one (-> stairs) or a normal stone one, but that latter seems to have that happen to it more often.

I really wish you could travel closer to the Goblin sites and there weren't a few thousand Trolls in them...overall they are unnecessarly overpopulated for no reason, making them lag horrendously, it's not even like the Goblins pose much of a threat: after killing a few of the Goblins, the rest runs away in terror. And the Trolls, as mentioned before, don't even mind it when you killed their family, friends, distant relatives, colleagues and pets.

Still weird that the structures change their room layout upon entering and leaving, have yet to test that more thorughly though. Haven't been to the lag spires lately and my newest adventurer (custom race) is just about equipped and ready for venturing out.

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 03:37:33 pm »

I haven't seen a structure change layout, but I did have the entrance to a dwarven fort change from gypsum to pitchblende overnight while using advfort. At least that means that I can have an infinite supply of colorful blocks to build with if I build a minecart track to my adventure fort.
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.