Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lagtastic  (Read 1663 times)

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lagtastic
« on: February 11, 2015, 05:54:08 pm »

I'm back to playing on Windows and I can't seem to get above 40 dwarves before the FPS drops down to about 70. 2nd year or so.

I generally play Masterwork and I can't tell where the lag is coming from. This is Windows 8. Any ideas what I could look at to resolve this? I've tweaked graphics settings and such and didn't really get any improvement.

Didn't have these issues when I was on Linux. :(

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Lagtastic
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 06:05:07 pm »

Lots of items? Lots of animals? Large embark size? Large world size? Long history? Messing with fluids?

Graphics settings will have a minimal (if any) effect on FPS. I'd be surprised if your operating system was a major factor.

Are you playing on a different computer?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 06:10:20 pm »

Lots of items? Lots of animals? Large embark size? Large world size? Long history? Messing with fluids?

Graphics settings will have a minimal (if any) effect on FPS. I'd be surprised if your operating system was a major factor.

Are you playing on a different computer?

Same laptop, different OS. Same version of Masterwork.

It's a 2x2 embark, medium world size, I start at about year 8. I have learned not to break into the caverns or else suffer FPS death early.

I just can't seem to isolate anything specific as the "cause" of the high FPS. It just starts creeping up as the number of dwarves starts to increase. I can hit the clean all and clean owned in DFhack and that will increase the FPS back up for a short time but then it starts to fall again.

Dwarves is the worst, warlock is the best ... so I keep thinking it's something related to pathing and fort design.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 06:18:14 pm »

I keep thinking it's something related to pathing and fort design.
That's also very likely.

I'm afraid I don't really know enough about the inner workings of Windows/DF to be able to say why there's a difference.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 06:22:45 pm »

I keep thinking it's something related to pathing and fort design.
That's also very likely.

I'm afraid I don't really know enough about the inner workings of Windows/DF to be able to say why there's a difference.

Nor do I, really.

In Linux I played under Wine and it wasn't too bad. Couldn't have a huge fort but you could get to a decent size.

Same version on Windows 8 and it really slows down fast. Before I reloaded to Linux the first time I was on Windows 7 and didn't notice any significant issues.

I'm hoping someone in the Masterwork community knows of a secret setting I couldn't find in my general forum search. :)

I suppose also in the next few days I'll try the reborn version, but with the colossal lag I had playing the newer vanilla, I wasn't holding out much hope for that.