Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Legend of Urist - webcomic idea  (Read 2878 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
The Legend of Urist - webcomic idea
« on: May 15, 2015, 10:47:38 am »

I kinda might wanna do that. As I mentioned in the thread Please give me your opinion: DF Patreon, I toying with the idea of setting up a Patreon to allow me to allocate more time to DF. (Patreon.com is a website for essentially a slow-running monthly kickstarter) Half of it would be for modding, half of it for storytelling.

The basic idea is the have a long-running DF-inspired story focusing on the main character Urist who is adventuring and living in the DF world. Since I'm horrible at drawing, I wanted to use tilesets as basis for the pannels, which has the nice side-effect that people can read the comic several times; in different tilesets.

Mock-up:

It would not be based on actual gameplay, no sudden endings due to tantrum spirals or headshots, it would be more in the line of EvictedSaints glorious The littlest Cheesemaker. There are two differences: He can draw and I can't, but I'd update a lot more frequently. ;)

I'd put it on it's own website with updates both here on bay12 as well as the DF subreddit, a little "About" page and a "blog" page that shows potential news. This will not happen overnight, because I'm currently busy with my RL till autumn. I'll start working on this idea this winter, but as always I'm very curious as to what the community thinks.

The story would guide Urist from childhood in the mountainhomes to being a migrant in a fortress to being an adventurer, accompanied by various sidekicks; occasionally spiced with cross-overs to other games/IPs or mods.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself by about... 5-6 months, but this is one of about a dozen ideas I have. Depending on my RL and how you guys think about it, I might take this one to heart or not, I can not make any promises right now. Pleaes don't discuss the Patreon here, I already made a thread about it, this is really only about the comic idea.

Suggestions for story, tilesets, utilities/website, etc are welcome. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Urist - webcomic idea
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 12:39:31 pm »

Was a fan from the initial "is there a way to make a webcomic you could view in different tilesets" idea, do eet.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 09:37:39 pm »

I can kinda have to do it by hand, it's not too bad if using workshop draw. I only need to change a few tiles, the ones that are mapped differently. It becomes more interestning (aka difficult) when it comes to creatures and Twbt-stuff like items.

I guess having a automatic way for this is near impossible, so I'll have to limit it to... 3? 4? 5? tilesets and do that by hand. It's a bit of extra work, but not too bad.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 10:06:35 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 09:46:57 pm »

I await this anxiously.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 10:01:30 pm »

How could this not be an amazing idea? I'm afraid I don't have a great deal of income just now, or I'd throw money at the Patreon too.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 12:00:15 am »

This is going to be amazing.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 05:33:43 am »

How could this not be an amazing idea?
For several reasons.

- I cant quarantee quality. I know I can make the graphics and website, but I have no indicator for how well I will be able to tell a good story or do jokes. After all I'm German, we don't do jokes.

- Tilesets limit the "art" I can create. A lot of empathy towards characters is created through their facial expressions and body language. "Oh, he looks so sad". Urist will look like... Urist. A dwarf tile. No change. This might limit me a lot more than I might think at the moment.

- It takes time away from the other half of what would be funded by the Patreon: Mods. If I spend 50% of the time on a webcomic, I will create 50% less mod content. If the majority of people support me because of my modding, they might rather have me not do a comic.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 09:34:53 am »

This is going to be good, by the will you use the masterwork universe or stick to vanilla?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 12:59:52 pm »

Both and more. Mostly vanilla, with a few jokes towards other franchises I'd say and the occasional mod content that creeps in. Perfect opportunity for breaking the fourth wall. Or have it indirectly, for example someone dreams about Succubi or there are tales about Gnomes in the mountains, but no one has ever found them.

Mostly vanilla with a bit of artistic freedom.

Morul

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 08:22:44 pm »

I approve.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 10:31:45 pm »

As do I.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 01:20:53 am »

Even if you can't produce good strips, this is a great idea and I'm glad that you came up with it.