Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Amusing Dwarf Fortress Languages  (Read 5279 times)

Hexatona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Amusing Dwarf Fortress Languages
« on: February 14, 2015, 12:51:21 am »

Hey there, over time I've made some simple and not-so-simple languages for Dwarf Fortress.  Not sure when I started doing this, but It's just something I started doing while playing vanilla Dwarf Fortress to make each game a bit more unique.  I made a set with some pretty interesting or fun aspects to them, I hope someone gets a laugh out of them at least!  Al-bhed, Pokemon, Patapon, Slime, and DwarfSlime are probably my favourites.  Pokemon my most favourite.  And I'll always have a softspot for HERPDERP, my language basically built for goblins.

Here's the pack.  There's descriptions of all the languages within the pack, and instructions for installation as well.

Thanks to Talvieno for making DFLangCreate - his utility got me interested in making DF languages.

Please let me know what you think, and also if any of them doesn't work properly or has wonky words.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
Re: Amusing Dwarf Fortress Languages
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 05:37:54 pm »

Making the existing "languages" actually speakable by adding grammar and more words would be a good start.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Hexatona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 11:37:10 pm »

I don't think that's really possible - at least not for use in the game.  The DF Languages are really just for naming things.  Although, languages generated by LangCreate are kinda fascinating - they have additional info about them appended at the end.  It makes them slightly more cohesive by having words around the same topics ending the same way. So, words that are evil end in the same or simmilar ways, or start in simmilar ways.

NAME_CONTINENT = bran-
NAME_ISLAND = hiorg-
NAME_ISLAND_SMALL = -tur
NAME_PEAK = vurk-
NAME_VOLCANO = -ngult
NAME_COMMON_RELIGION = hull-
BALANCE = dild-
BOUNDARY = -ita
DANCE = -ngan
DARKNESS = aullu-
LIGHT = hij-
ORDER = hionn-
FESTIVAL = -rur
FAMILY = dum-
FIRE = -rin
FOOD = dam-
FREEDOM = bum-

there's an example.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 06:27:58 am »

But when poems or even the option of having characters speak dwarven are added, the assortments of words will have to be made into languages.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 07:15:04 am »

But when poems or even the option of having characters speak dwarven are added, the assortments of words will have to be made into languages.
It's mildly difficult to make a mod for a game feature that doesn't exist yet.  This mod does a good job of having fun with the DF language system as it stands now.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 10:20:43 am »

The DF "language" system could at least have some more words for things dwarves encounter every day. At present it cannot even name or describe everything in a typical fort.

I appreciate that creating full constructed languages in DF may be impossible now, but we can start with what we can do now: adding more words.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 10:22:38 am by Urist Tilaturist »

For old times' sake.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 08:09:29 am »

The DF "language" system could at least have some more words for things dwarves encounter every day. At present it cannot even name or describe everything in a typical fort.

I appreciate that creating full constructed languages in DF may be impossible now, but we can start with what we can do now: adding more words.

You can add as many words into the game as you like. 

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 08:29:59 am »

If you want to use some languages from my ROTMK mod, you're welcome to.  They'd fit right in here, especially the Shyguy language, which is a generated language made up mostly of non-alphanumeric characters (smileys, squigglies, hearts, exclamation points, etc.)  I had to use some tricks to get it to run through the generator.  It's practically incomprehensible.

Hexatona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 11:11:15 pm »

If you want to use some languages from my ROTMK mod, you're welcome to.  They'd fit right in here, especially the Shyguy language, which is a generated language made up mostly of non-alphanumeric characters (smileys, squigglies, hearts, exclamation points, etc.)  I had to use some tricks to get it to run through the generator.  It's practically incomprehensible.

That was one of the things that actually really interested me about ROMTK was the shyguy language.  It's painful to look at when graphics are involved, but I thought it was super cool.

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 01:44:48 am »

Looks cool.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 04:11:08 pm »

Making the existing "languages" actually speakable by adding grammar and more words would be a good start.

Grammar is not in the game.

Therefore, it's impossible to add.

This works for the vast majority of features like that.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 05:07:28 pm »

More words can still be added. There are not even enough words to describe everything in a typical fort now.

For old times' sake.

Royal Flush

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a horrible fell look!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 06:29:15 pm »

More words can still be added. There are not even enough words to describe everything in a typical fort now.

*Sounds of manly weeping echo from behind a computer*

More words can be added? Have you -tried- to add new words. This system is fucking mental. I mean, it's really in depth and cool and stuff but holy crap is it busywork to do things. Handcoding each word how it can be used with language tokens, then sorting them into SYMBOLs. Thankfully due to Talvieno's tool we don't have to hand translate words...

*Resumes his work coding in ~260 new words into the game*
Ponies ponies ponies.

Royal Flush High Res

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 12:19:42 pm »

I just remember discovering that dwarves had (I think) no word for sharp, when trying to describe a sharp dagger. This is silly given how much dwarves value daggers and menacing spikes.

For old times' sake.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 01:57:45 pm »

I just remember discovering that dwarves had (I think) no word for sharp, when trying to describe a sharp dagger. This is silly given how much dwarves value daggers and menacing spikes.
Dwarves don't have a word for dwarves.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: [1] 2