Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: !!Eugenics!!  (Read 8842 times)

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !!Eugenics!!
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2015, 04:06:32 pm »

Eugenics is good people, gotta support progress!

Not like eugenics is a movement built around harming actual people (got it?)... no, nothing to see here.

"Oops, we sterilized you."

"Your brother sadly died of pneumonia, we already cremated him for you."

WTF are you people smoking? Read a history book once in a while. Thanks.

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2015, 04:26:05 pm »

Eugenics is good people, gotta support progress!

Not like eugenics is a movement built around harming actual people (got it?)... no, nothing to see here.

"Oops, we sterilized you."

"Your brother sadly died of pneumonia, we already cremated him for you."

WTF are you people smoking? Read a history book once in a while. Thanks.
Pretty sure he was trolling...

Also, please keep this thread on topic, namely selective breeding as it applies to dwarf fort. If you'd like, I'm sure a thread in General Discussion entitled "Historical Pros and Cons of Eugenics" will receive plenty of attention. Alternatively, you could argue here against the morality of caging chickens and forcing them to breed in DF, since that is being discussed.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2015, 04:30:51 pm »

To be fair crashmaster didn't actually write that... The discussion would have been about DF genetics, if zombat had written about genetics and not baited with "unterdwarf" and "eugenics", which larix took offence at and others as an opportunity to voice their support for eugenics.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 04:34:01 pm by taptap »

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2015, 04:35:12 pm »

To be fair crashmaster didn't actually write that... The discussion would have been on topic, if zombat had written about genetics and not baited with "unterdwarf" and "eugenics".
Fortunately, a dedicated few have been attempting to take a post that was not worded in the best way and directing it towards real dwarven science. As far as I'm aware, no other thread has really explored the question of what selective breeding is capable of, or how effectively it can be done. So the thread serves a purpose if you can disregard some of the language of the original author.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2015, 04:44:52 pm »

Egg layers are even easier to breed now than they used to be since the game tells you whether eggs are fertilized or not (I think, I play LNP so I don't know if it's in vanilla), so you don't have to waste nest box time trying to figure out whether the eggs are going to make babies or not...

That's a dfhack feature.
eggs-fertile: Displays a fertility indicator on nestboxes
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2015, 04:49:33 pm »

Honestly, I'd rather breed dogs to have gray eyes than livestock to provide the most meat, but I've always had messed up priorities.

Teh Barple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2015, 04:52:08 pm »

War is Peace! Black is White!

Is there any way to filter forum message view? I can only find how to apply a filter to personal messages (and yes, i made "eugenics" a delete argument years ago). I _would_ prefer just not seeing those threads.

OP actual content: There have been a few DF genetics experiments, but most were just a flimsy excuse for magmafying babies and sociopathy roleplay. Comparative chickens actually sound like something that could produce genuine information, since they get large clutches and short generations. Sounds like a pretty thorough setup overall; using all the offspring for further reproduction testing could easily overwhelm you with data that'd be hard to evaluate, so i'd recommend chicken roasts.

hey, stop with the thread eugenics! hiding specific threads because you don't like their kind? are you trying to create a master race or something? you freakin' racist
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 04:56:20 pm by Teh Barple »

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2015, 05:37:31 pm »

I usually breed large groups of dogs. In three years I can go from 2 to nearly 30 and they are both tasty and useful.
I regularly slaughter any dog born that does not have the words "gigantic" and "muscular" in their description. I usually find that this is few. In my latest fort I didn't slaughter any for a while, then looking at my large group I found only about 10% had both these descriptors. This leads me to believe that you can select for certain traits. If it works for dogs, it probably works for dwarfs too.

Off-hand question: I know 'gigantic' actually affects their size and the amount of meat they produce, but does 'muscular' do anything? Reflect attributes, maybe?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2015, 05:50:52 pm »

If you want to talk about animal breeding, you're going to need to construct a less flame-prone thread.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 2 [3]