Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Implementing torture rooms?  (Read 1947 times)

Conradine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Implementing torture rooms?
« on: February 14, 2015, 09:26:19 pm »

Torture ( divided in  "for fun, informations, example" ) is already involved in civilization ethics but when will be possible to actually implement it in gameplay?

iofhua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Implementing torture rooms?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 09:38:03 pm »

Yes absolutely. It doesn't violate dwarf ethics to pull a lever, so all you need to do is hook up your instruments of torture to a lever and then you're golden.

Drowning, burned by magma, impaled by spike traps, smashed by a minecart, you name it.

Dropping a dwarf into a room full of upright spike traps made with wooden training spears hooked up to a repeater would be pretty slow and painful. If you had say 2/7 or 3/7 murky water in there from a murky pool the blood would mix with it and possibly also cause infections. I wonder if you could also get vomit mixed in there too somehow, maybe If the torture room had a skylight and you tossed a cave-adapted dwarf in there?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 09:41:16 pm by iofhua »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 10:22:51 pm »

I believe torture is a planned feature - so there's no way of knowing when it'll be added. Toady doesn't seem to plan long-term when he'll add what to the game.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 10:39:24 pm »

Until then, you can use upright menacing spikes (made of wood!) or short falls. For something a bit more serious, you can build a 3x3 room, with a 8 tile reservoir above it that can be drained into it. All but the center tile (which contains a chain) should be a floor grate with a floodgate below each one, all linked to one lever. This lets you drain the water quickly in case of problems. The victim will continually almost drown. I don't recommend keeping them in there too long, but once you get this set up it's super easy to use.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

FourierSeries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 02:48:00 am »

Torture ( divided in  "for fun, informations, example" ) is already involved in civilization ethics but when will be possible to actually implement it in gameplay?

Already implemented.

It's all under the military interface...
I don't think losing guts actually kills you, you just throw up and pass out and bleed to death.
This was supposed to be a cool upgrade. All I got was more hostile zombies.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 05:21:07 pm »

Usually I just chain up elves for my new soldiers to bash to death with wooden training weapons, but this really isn't torture.
I save the torture for vampires. Stoning is my method, no mechanisms, no complexity, just simple gravity.

So I channel out a 1x1 area but leave the top floor in place. Dump a bunch of stones on the top floor above the channel. Sometimes I burrow the offender to the area or chain them to the wall underneath. Wall up the hole and channel the top floor. Worst case scenario is you need more stones. You can also do this with minecarts and quantum stockpiling of refuse.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~