Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 34

Author Topic: Crownhammers, the #1 undead, murderous bird sanctuary in the world  (Read 66056 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Outcasts and madmen, a political succession game [6 of 7 dwarves claimed]
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 04:26:44 pm »

u beter not

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: Crownhammers, a succession game of politics, intrigue and backstabs
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 05:51:29 pm »

Balor's Journal, 15th of Granite.
After a long trek through the lands of elves and goblins under a flag of truce, we finally arrived at the coast. 'Torishnil', they've taken to calling it, or Crownhammers in the common tongue. It could mean nothing or it could be a declaration of intent. In any case, king Uzol never felt the need to learn the language of his subjects, so he'll never understand what the name means. In any case, something feels off about this place. I've heard tales of the sea being haunted, and though it's easy to laugh at such things in the mountains, it's harder to doubt it now. We have more pressing matters at hand than some sailors' ghost stories, though. One of the miners has managed to get off to a shockingly good start in the social relations:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

When I saw them interact, I realised that luring out traitors wasn't the only intent of this place. The dwarves here could be great leaders with groups to back them up and space to work. Instead they've been cooped up here where they'll be forced to undermine each other to gain power for themselves, and all the while the real enemy proceeds unchecked. Uzol may be smarter than I gave him credit for. For now, however, they seem content enough to leave the orders to me, so I've set Xan and Insane to cutting down some of the local flora so that we can have somewhere to rest out heads. In the meantime, myself and Hef will need to find some way to work past the aquifer we've discovered. Doubtless, Uzol was hoping it would cripple our ability to prosper, but dwarves are good at mechanics, even if we are rather poor at choosing whether or not to engage in war against two vastly more powerful enemies...
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 05:58:25 pm »

I can't tell whether my character is male or female...

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 06:12:05 pm »

Yeah, can we get some descriptor pages here?

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 06:12:39 pm »

And I thought I requested Hef as my name, or was I overlooked?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 06:16:03 pm »

:/ Literally the only image was your relationship page. I didn't overlook you.

Mask, you're female. There were only two males in the embark, so I gave them to the people who requested them.

I think I'm going to have to try the double slit on this aquifer, which I've never done before. Expect drownings!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 06:17:43 pm »

I have been dorfed six times and every one of them has been a girl because I forgot to specify a guy. Whatever.

Please don't drown anybody, even if you have to savescum.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 06:19:21 pm »

Well, a name like Amethyst wouldn't really have fit a guy.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 06:29:55 pm »

:/ Literally the only image was your relationship page. I didn't overlook you.

Mask, you're female. There were only two males in the embark, so I gave them to the people who requested them.

I think I'm going to have to try the double slit on this aquifer, which I've never done before. Expect drownings!
Oh, I overlooked that part.
Curse me eyes
they miss things

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 09:22:22 pm »

Ooh, this looks like a neat concept.  I see that the first seven are all taken up, but I hope I can get a dwarf from the next migration wave.

By the way, no Mecha(nic) Guild?  I am much disappointed.  >:(
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:26:19 pm by Bearskie »

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 04:10:05 am »

Can I have a dwarf as well? Name's Komodo. Any profession will do.

If possible, could you also post his/her desciption?
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 08:39:38 am »

Requesting dorfing as Illevaihcam, dwarven engineer/mason.

THE FACTION SHALL RISE AGAIN

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 09:14:13 am »

Ooh, this looks like a neat concept.  I see that the first seven are all taken up, but I hope I can get a dwarf from the next migration wave.

Be patient. As soon as there's an actual fort (say 50 dorfs) I'll start the Stone Guild.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 10:13:43 am »

Be patient. As soon as there's an actual fort (say 50 dorfs) I'll start the Stone Guild.
The guilds already exist, parties gain points based on the strength of their alliance to each guild and each guild's popularity. If anyone has suggestions for the mechanics I'll include them, I just couldn't think of non-abusable rules for them. +5 for each level of aquifer we have to breach, I guess, and maybe +2 for each hostile dispatched without the military.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2015, 10:40:04 am »

Diary of Alast Jorgenson at the fortress of Crownhammers, Entry Date 20 Granite:

We have arrived, for all the good that does.  I must say, it isn't quite as bad as I expected here, but... I'm not sure about that ocean.  Looking at it gives me the creeps.  It's like... when you stare at it too long, there's the creepy feeling that it's watching you right back.  I know it's irrational, but I can't help but hope I never have to go near the thing.

The others are all settling down to their jobs, although the miners found an aquifer we're going to have to breach in order to get anywhere underground.  I'm not exactly the moost useful dwarf either: my skills lie in the realm of farming.  And politics, but that cursed field is exactly why I got sent here.

The people here have just started referring to me as Nobeard.  That's fine, I guess, although I wish that nickname hadn't stuck around as long as it did.

Assuming our miners can break through the aquifer, we should be good to go with regards to building this fortress.  Hopefully, my brothers and sisters in the Fellowship of Equals will hear of our plight and come help us, so that we may establish our dominance in this fortress and bring peace to all.

Yes, I have created a new faction idea (although the faction itself will have to wait for enough dwarves to be founded): The Fellowship of Equals
Core Ideal: The Fellowship of Equals believes that all sentient beings are equal to each other, be they dwarves, elves, humans, goblins, or kobolds.  They believe that while killing another sentient in self-defense is permissible, going on the offensive against another person or group is a betrayal of Armok himself.  Similarly, because all dwarves are valued equally, they do not believe in the need for a true nobility, although they believe that some level of beaurocracy is required in order to keep the fortress functioning.  As such, they repudiate attempts to appoint them to the upper dwarven nobility (baron, count, duke).
Manifesto: We believe in the perfect equality of all sentient beings under the ancient law of The Most High Armok, and deny the corrupt system into which our society has devolved.
Faction Structure: There is very little connection between members of the fellowship at different fortresses, but within the same fortress they form a tight-knit community of equals.  Once a year, all members are required to convene a special council to determine who will be named Party Leader for that year.  The Party Leader is elected (theoretically) on grounds of merit and upholdance of party rhetoric.  This dwarf serves as the mediator of disputes amongst the council until the next election council.  In between times, the council assembles when there is a need to make a decision.  There is a period of debate not to exceed eight hours, followed by a full council vote using simple-majority.  In the case of a tie, the Party Leader will cast the final vote.
Schools of Thought: Even within the fairly narrow confines of the Fellowship's ideas, there are many possible interperetations.  There is much debate in various fortresses as to the status of kobolds as a sentient, as they are incapable of communicating with the other races that are deemed "sentient".  Although less debated, the status of the goblin race as sentient has been questioned from time to time, due to their embracing of slavery, which the fellowship deplores as the reduction of equals to a position of inequality.  A newer school of thought holds that if dwarves are to be truly equal, all dwarves must be allowed to accomplish all jobs, but this idea is generally regarded as a minor curiosity due to the dwarven emphasis on craftsmanship, as specialization is not possible under such a system.  There is also much debate amongst the councils about whether members may participate in the millitary, and the matter is usually decided on a fortress-by-fortress basis.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:55:42 am by 4maskwolf »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 34