Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34

Author Topic: Crownhammers, the #1 undead, murderous bird sanctuary in the world  (Read 66883 times)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: Crownhammers, a succession game of politics, intrigue and backstabs
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2015, 11:47:31 am »

Seeing as the parties are getting started, even though I'm not dwarfed yet, humour me as I propose the third incarnation of the Faction. Now with 300% less alcoholism and a return to the deluded idealism of the original Faction!

The Corporatists are a group of dwarves who believe that a fortress is analogous to a body. They view themselves as the brain. Essentially, they have a focus on central planning - the fortress needs a strong cabal of enlightened leaders to ensure efficiency and prosperity. Of course, absolute obedience is a must, but they think it's better if nobody realizes what they're doing so they can't object to it.
Plus, members get access to a bunch of mysterious lore that is definitely not some form of secret history of the world, or made up by whoever is telling it to trick you into paying additional membership fees.

Ideal members would be engineers, doctors or administrators - the intelligentsia of the fortress. Join now - it's better to be a part of the secret organization trying to seize power than not be!

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2015, 12:09:09 pm »

Quick question, Deus: What if we get small first couple migrant waves and too many dwarves are conflicting player dwarves for anybody to actually form a party?  Who takes control year 2?

Elagn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2015, 12:16:59 pm »

This sounds like a very interesting idea for a succession fortress

I would like to be dwarfed as a Mechanic eventualy. Name of Elagn

One question, which party are the mechanics part of? They seem to have been left out of the structure.
"Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" Einstein

"Measure what is measurable and make measurable what is not so" Galileo

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2015, 12:34:04 pm »

Still thinking of rules for the mechanics. They'll probably get a guild with the architects, since they share more jobs than others. In the case of no one being able to form a majority in any given year, players will get to try form a temporary coalition and choose a mutually agreeable candidate to run the fortress.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2015, 12:35:43 pm »

There is no structure as of now. There's barely a fort, for that matter. Guilds and groups will come later when we have more than seven dwarves.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2015, 02:51:04 pm »

Profiles have been added to OP.

Balor's Journal, 20th of Granite
Getting past the aquifer is taking more time than I hoped, but on the bright side it appears to be only two layers deep, so we should be able to get past it by the end of springtime. While we work on it, we've also begun to dig some farm plots so that we can avoid starving. If worst comes to worst, I've hard tales of dwarves that abandoned the stone altogether and decided to live in homes made of slain trees like the headbangers, though I'm sure we'll do everything possible to avoid a fate like that.

8th of Slate.
We have breached the second and final layer of the aquifer. With luck, my hopes of defeating it before summer will be fulfilled, and we'll be well on our way to proper stone halls before winter falls.

13th of Slate.
The others have been telling me of red rains out on the beach, so they've mostly been staying away from there. I wasn't overly concerned about it, but today Taran brought be a vial full of this 'rain', and it appears to be some sort of blood. Perhaps the tales of the ocean being haunted are true after all...

1st of Felsite.
We have six of the twelve walls we need in place to get past the final layer of water, though I imagine it's just going to get more annoying from here on out.

3rd of Hematite.
We've finally passed the aquifer! Aparently, Nobeard is a competent pump operator now, though I'm unsure exactly how much difference that makes for her work.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2015, 03:17:05 pm »

Diary of Alast Jorgenson at the fortress Crownhammers, Entry Date 3 Hematite:

Naturally.  I've been operating the pumps for these people like two months now because of the damnable aquifer.  Fortunately, the last wall is in place, so we're able to mine beneath it.  Although I'm not sure how much that matters to me, since I'll be spending most of my time near the surface once we actually set up farms.

I was caught in the rain today, which certainly isn't fun, but a glance down at the beach revealed something deeply disturbing.  The shore appeared to be coated in a red substance, almost like blood.  I'm not sure what's going on here, but I'll be damned if I go anywhere near that place.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2015, 03:41:26 pm »

From the etchings of Hef Kibrūl, Miner

After a long time of toiling, we've finally pierced the confounded aquifer. I have a feeling our king whatshisface (wasn't it something like Uzi?) sent us here in an attempt to drown us. Either way, I'm glad I'll be able to finally see stone again. While I don't mind being outside, I'd prefer to be as far away from that ocean as possible. Something feels wrong about it. Not the blood rains, though. It's something else.
I don't know what day it is, what month it is, or if I should care. All I know is that if our king so much as sets foot on our land, his head will decorate my room. I was perfectly content with hanging around the fortress, doing nothing all day. Up until the day I was told I'd be sent to a fortress out in the middle of nowhere, I had never had a single thought about rebelling.
I think there's something in our booze that's making us feel this way. Hef, I'm watching me...

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2015, 03:50:21 pm »

From the journal of Amethyst, Stoneworker

Finally, we've pierced the aquifer! Now we can actually get things done! I look forward to building furniture for us all. Especially mechanisms. Those count as furniture, I guess.

((Not only do I worship a god with Amethyst in its name, I also like cages! This is going to be great!))

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2015, 04:03:43 pm »

"Excuse me, Ms. Balor?"

Balor sighed, setting her pickaxe down.  "This again," she muttered under her breath, turning to face 'Nobeard'.  Frankly, she didn't even know the dwarf's real name, Taran had called her that at one point and the name had kinda stuck.

"Yes, Nobeard?  What is it?"

"I was wondering when you were going to find time to mine out a farming chamber for me to work in?"

Balor took a deep breath to calm herself.  This was the fifth time in as many weeks she'd been asked this question.

"I've explained before, Nobeard, that there are more mining jobs to do than we have time for at the moment.  We'll get to it as soon as possible."

Nobeard paced around the fortress entrance, brooding.  There was only so many ways to entertain yourself without some work to do.  "But I musn't be angry at the miners," she mused, "They are doing the best they can.  They all are.  I can't fault them for that."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2015, 04:13:25 pm »

Wait how did I -
Oh someone else with Xan in their name.
Uh.
Carry on then.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2015, 04:15:32 pm »

Wait how did I -
Oh someone else with Xan in their name.
Uh.
Carry on then.
What the hell, how did we get Xantalos's attention up here?

Do you, like, search for your name when coming online to see if anyone addressed you or something?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2015, 04:16:14 pm »

I felt my name being partially invoked.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2015, 05:15:10 pm »

What will we do with a dwarven sailor?
What will we do with a dwarven sailor?
What will we do with a dwarven sailor
Early in the morning!

Another wave crashed into the hull. The ship yawed and teetered until it was almost sideways. All through the deck, sailors latched to mast and rigging and railing, clinging on for dear life. It was quite possible that several of them were screaming, but their voices were lost amid the din of the storm.

From the helm came the shout: "Hold 'er together, lads!" How the captain managed to make himself heard over the thunder and pounding rain was a mystery for the ages.

They were nearly upright again when another wave hit them. The whole vessel shook. One sailor, a human, lost his grip and went tumbling across the deck and into the roiling waters. They would probably never see him again.

The squall had been raging for two days and three nights. It would be another three days before the crew of The Osprey the light of the sun. In that time, another sailor, this one a dwarf, would be lost to the waves.

Taran rubbed at his eyes. He had dozed off in the workshop again. As ever before, the old dreams had come to visit. Not the more pleasant ones either. He never dreamed of the wenches and the gold and the glory, oh no. It was always the voyages, and typically the worst of them.

He picked up his saw and went back to hacking lumber into furniture. There were beds that needed making.

Shave his beard with an iron cleaver
Early in the morning!

It was the final day, and the storm had already spent most of its fury. The sailors figured it was safe to move about on deck once again, and many were moving to and fro, adjusting rigging. One sailor had climbed the mast to relieve the poor bastard who'd been stuck on the crow's nest for an entire week, only to find him tied to the top of the mast, dead from starvation or dehydration.

Morale was low aboard The Osprey. The crew was hungry and low on supplies. They had lost more friends in that week than any person should. And to make it all even worse, half of their haul was ruined. They had lost what was left of the whale carcass on the first night, when a wave rammed into them and threw the damn thing overboard, along with half the railing on the port side. It was unlikely that they would be able to catch another whale before supplies ran out and they had to turn back home.

A furious shout came from below deck. The hatch to the cargo hold opened, and two human sailors emerged, looking grim and one foot in the grave. They jogged toward the helm to address the captain.

"It's worse than we thought, sir," one of them piped. "Both the try pots spilled. Whole room is ankle-deep in slush."

The captain cursed under his breath. "And the supplies?"

"Fruit is running out," the other sailor replied. "There's fish, but I don't know if it'll last us the whole trip back. Water seems low as well."

The captain cursed again. Behind him, the first mate piped up. "What should we do, captain? Do we turn back?"

"Not yet," the captain replied. "Fairst we ride oot th' storm. Then we'll see what needs doin'."

In the back of his mind, he hoped the inclement weather wouldn't disperse in the next few hours. He would need that time to think.

Taran stashed the carved whalebone under his tunic. He rose from his knees and patted his trousers to dislodge the wet sand. His gaze went skyward, to the old familiar stars that had so often guided him in his youth. Thick clouds assembled overhead, pregnant with rain. Taran hauled in a deep breath. It would seem his prayers weren't over for the night. He fell to his knees again, eyes closed, and waited.

It was only a few minutes before the drizzle started. Cold blood soaked into his shirt and matted his dark hair and beard. Taran cupped his hands before him, held them there until they overflowed and spilled life's fluid into his lap. He parted the sand in front of him, forming a shallow hole that would soon be a puddle. The old prayers and chants passed through his head like rain through a sieve, marching through but never lingering.

The rain stopped some hours later, leaving Taran with no company but the rumbling of the waves and the black of a moonless night. He opened his eyes at last. The small pool in front of him had filled with blood. It looked like murky ink. He drew an old glass vial from his coat and dipped it in the puddle. He'd have to show this to Balor come morning.

Taran rose to his feet again. He didn't bother wiping the sand from his trousers. Instead he walked forward, into the ocean waves. Once the water was deep enough beneath him, he took a dive and let the icy darkness wash over him.

Dip 'im in the waves 'til the sharks come for him
Early in the morning!

Daylight at last. For the first time in days, The Osprey was still upon the ocean. The disheartened sailors gathered on deck, human and dwarf alike staring at the helm, awaiting the call.

The rain had lasted no more than an hour, and the captain had to decide their course of action. Now that he was forced to make the choice, he felt that all of his deliberation had been a waste of time. His heart had been set from the moment the two sailors had told him of the state of things.

He looked upon his crew. They looked haggard and weather-beaten. He knew what they wanted. They all knew what awaited them if they went back empty-handed, especially the dwarves. In the end, what choice did he have?

"Very well, lads, t'is time to move," he began. "Humes, get belowdecks and get some bleedin' rest. Us dwarves'll handle work for the next couple hours." A simple call, really. Dwarves were hardier by far. "Half o' ye, git swabbin' the decks. Oth'r half, haul sail nor'wards. Once we get oot o' these thrice-damned waters, we can start huntin' another whale." A sea of heads nodded in assent. The longshanks trudged belowdecks to the cabins. The dwarves set to work, behaving for all the world as if everything was well aboard their ship.

"Talk to th' quartermaster," he said to his first mate. "Find oot how bad we'll have t' ration supplies."

"Aye, Cap'n Taran."

Taran wrung his beard with both hands. A torrent of blood poured down his tattered shirt. All around him, dwarves took mops to the deck, scrubbing to take the crimson out of the once-polished wood. According to his charts, they could be out of these haunted waters in just two days if the winds were good. Then it would be time to hunt again.

He muttered a prayer to the Old Dwarf, to the Maiden, even to the Sunken One. He'd need all of the gods of sea and sail to come out of this trip alive.

That's what we do with a dwarven sailor
Early in the morning!

Weigh-hay and up she rises
Early in the morning.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2015, 05:23:11 pm »

((We're actually singing Drunken Sailor in chorus class right now))
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34