Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 34

Author Topic: Crownhammers, the #1 undead, murderous bird sanctuary in the world  (Read 66722 times)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: Crownhammers, a succession game of politics, intrigue and backstabs
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2015, 02:38:05 pm »

Can I claim the carpenter in the recent migrant wave? Dwarves must be housed. In the spirit of Vladimir, the party shall take an interest in the standard of living of the dwarves of Crownhammers.

Also, if possible, I'd be thrilled to have the management position. Even without skills, it's fairly easy to train up and would fit the party immensely. Perhaps I'd even be willing to throw some of my support behind another party for the job, if we're unfortunate enough to lose the coming elections...

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2015, 08:19:18 pm »

Balor's Journal, 28th of Sandstone.
Illevaihcam asked me if I'd consider splitting up the power of the bureaucracy of Crownhammers in order to prevent corruption. It's a good suggestion and I'd likely be more in favour of it if she hadn't immediately put herself forward to fill one of the roles I decided to vacate.  She seems to be building herself a reasonable following among the others, so I can't really oppose her specifically.

In other news, more devil birds have been spotted approaching us, so I've ordered the gates closed. Perhaps this time no one will panic and get grievously wounded just because there are a few bones defying the laws of physics and mocking all that is holy. It occurs to me that I should have dug some room to store some lumber in for an occasion such as this, but it's too late to do anything about that now.

2nd of Timber
The miners report discovering an opening to one of the great underground caverns, as well as an open tube of magma deep below the earth. That should save us from needing to burn what wood we have left to make anything useful.

17th of Timber
Komodo was dumping some corpse parts to test our new composter today. It's open to the skies to prevent gas build ups, so a raven corpse got in and attack him. Quartz managed to save his life, but... well...
Spoiler: It is terrifying (click to show/hide)
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2015, 09:32:09 pm »

Ouch. Right in the geldables.

Can I get Bembul Vabokkubuk to join the Whalers?
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2015, 09:43:32 pm »

And can I have the other Bembul for the Fellowship?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2015, 04:38:56 am »

Sure. MDF has the carpenter as well.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2015, 05:35:50 am »

Sure. MDF has the carpenter as well.

[FACTIONEERING INTENSIFIES]

Shhh no tears only 'loominati Corporatists now

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2015, 05:45:06 am »

-Sakzul Vudtharstinthad (Artist's Guild [gem setter]) for the ranged squad if shes not taken and is agile, because we were meant to get dwarf per wave, and this is second wave. I am leader of ranged squad (embark), quartz is leader of melee (first guy from second wave as I missed out on first wave)
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2015, 06:21:39 am »

She's been taken by a mysterious shadow organisation lurking in the shadows. They are legion, and they are watching.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2015, 02:01:32 pm »

You forgot to record the new dwarves in Rhaken and I's factions.

Three hooded figures gathered in the farms, sitting in a circle.  The fortress was pitch black: night had fallen hours ago, and every other dwarf was asleep.  They sat in silence for a minute, then two, before one finally spoke, "Sisters, I thank you for coming on such short notice.  It has come to my attention that the fortress has begun to factionalize, and I believe we should discuss how to proceed with our lives."

Another of the figures spoke, "As you know, many of these groups see the world in ways contrary to the truth we have discovered, but it is beyond our influence to teach them these truths in any rapid fashion.  Many would resist the truth, some until the time they die.  But if we simply sit back, do not act, we will not be able to bring the truth to those who would accept it."

The third figure spoke, "So we must decide who to align ourselves with, then, to further our own interests?"

The first figure nodded, "And we must find a way to place ourselves in a position from where we can influence the fortress politics, either directly as overseers or working through others."

The third figure seemed to ponder this, then finally asked, "So what do we know of the other groups?"

The second figure made as if to speak, but a rustling in the crops stopped them in their tracks.  They sprang to their feet as a form sprinted off further into the fortress, rounding the corner out of sight.  The three dispersed, looking for the intruder, but they had already vanished.  Without another word, the three went to their rooms, disturbed by the eavesdropping on their meeting.

Insanegame27: We're supposed to start with three and gain one per year, not per wave.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 02:04:37 pm by 4maskwolf »

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2015, 02:36:51 pm »

OH, ok then.

Wait, start with three? I only started with one, me.
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2015, 03:02:12 pm »

OH, ok then.

Wait, start with three? I only started with one, me.

Yeah, I was under the imrpession we take once per wave until we have three (so everyone gets to pick). Then we get one at the start of the next year, and so on.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2015, 06:47:34 pm »

somat like that, yes, I was just telling him not to expect one every wave.

Edit: Also, I propose we have a method by which we can retire characters (this is mostly because I'm prone to developing new concepts, and if I can't move on to a new concept I lose interest in the current one, but I know some other people might use this too).  For instance, if you retire a character and they are the only player dwarf in a party, that party becomes inactive.  It can't take power, can't lend its influence to other parties, and it can't normally recruit dwarves, but a player can choose to join it and reactivate that party.  If you aren't the only player dwarf in a party but are the leader, you have to step down and allow another player dwarf to become the party leader.  You can still post from the point of view of your retired dwarf, but it is assumed that you'll spend most of your time from the point of view of your new dwarf.

Edit 2: I hope you like the direction I'm about to take the Fellowship, there's a far darker story behind them than might be expected.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 06:58:20 pm by 4maskwolf »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 25, 2015, 08:58:43 pm »

All requested dwarves have been assigned to their parties. The Might of Killing now contains Quartz and Tirist the recruit.

Dwarves of Crownhammers, our homeland lies burning, occupied by our ancient enemies and desecrated by their foul deeds. The brave few who are willing to fight against them are besieged and betrayed on all sides by traitors from our own ranks. We are not so conceited as to claim to fight for the people, nor insane enough to claim to want the greater good. We shall retake our homeland by whatever means necessary. We do not ask that you aid us, but those who stand against us shall be destroyed utterly. We are legion, and we are watching.

They didn't meet at the stroke of midnight wearing black hoods; such things would instantly draw attention and were only good for reinforcing the idea that the participants were up to no good, both in their own minds and the mind of anyone who might see them. A person will automatically watch someone who seems to be sneaking around, but if you look like you have every right to be somewhere you're just another face in a crowd. Urdim stopped Balor in a hallway to ask how Komodo's recovery was going, and Sakzul just happened to stop and join the conversation. No one paid them a second glance. Nevertheless, when they parted ways arrangements had been made to send as many supplies as would fit in the trade caravan without drawing undue attention to aid the cause of the fighters in the mountainhomes. In Uzol's kingdom, the Legion was a troupe of demons and shadowy monsters, aiding terrorists with unholy pacts. The real terrors are the ones you could pass by in a street and not give a second thought to until it is too late.

Balor's Journal, 21st of Timber
Komodo's treatment is going well, aside from some obvious deficiencies that he doesn't want to talk about. I tried to find his... uhm, 'geldables' after the beast that severed them was slain, but it seems to have somehow eaten them. I didn't tell Komodo about this. I doubt it would comfort him.

4th of Moonstone
First test of the crusher has gone off without a hitch. If anyone tries to climb the composter walls to get into the fortress, they shouldn't be able to get very far. If Komodo's geldables were still lying around there, well, they're definitely gone now.

7th of Moonstone
The miners tell me that they've discovered a vein of cassiterite. Now we can make some bronze weaponry, so we won't be completely defenceless when our king decides to exterminate us all. There's apparently quite a lot of silver as well, so our blunt weaponry won't be anything to scoff at either.

15th of Moonstone
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The magma smelters are up and running at last. With any luck we'll have some uniforms ready for the militia before the year is out.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2015, 09:33:25 pm »

From the personal journal of Alast Jorgenson:

I'm almost sure that Balor is up to something.

Call it a hunch, call it intuition, I don't care.  But I am.  What little I heard of him at the old mountainhome tells me that he is up to no good, and I don't care who tells me otherwise.  He's a sly bastard, damnably difficult to trace, but I managed to learn a little about him from a couple of informants before I left.  He was playing a dangerous game in the mountainhome, channeling funds into some rebel groups while appeasing the king by busting others.  So the fact that he's so quiet here, without any peep of machinations, is disturbing beyond measure.

I suspect he was the one who ordered the eavesdropping on our meeting, although I can't prove it.  We never actually caught the dwarf who did it.  The meeting wasn't exactly a secret, but we'd rather keep our political choices amongst ourselves without the input of others.

Nonetheless, it's time for our plan to be enacted.  We likely do not have the power to influence fortress events from a front-row position, so we must ally ourselves with others until we can make a move.

Alast strode into the dining hall, her eyes homing in on the dwarf she wanted to find.  Across the room, Illevaihcam sat with a mug of beer.  She walked over to the table where she sat and pulled up a chair across from her.

"Ah, Nobeard, good to see you.  The farmwork starting to bore you or are you just here for a drink."

"Neither, actually.  I have a business proposal for you."

Illevaihcam frowned, "A business proposal?  Unless you want some furniture for your room I'm not sure what I can do for you personally.  If you want weapons or armor, and you'd have good reason to want it, you should take it up with our smiths."

Alast smiled, "Not that business, Illevaihcam.  It has come to my attention that you are a member of a group known as the Corporatists?"

Illevaihcam raised an eyebrow, "What of it?"

Alast smiled further, "As you know, Balor's term as overseer is ending soon, and someone will need to replace her.  On behalf of the Fellowship, I would like to extend our support in placing your group in power."

Illevaihcam nodded slightly and clasped her hands together on the table, "and what would you desire in return for such a political favor.  I'm assuming you are not simply giving us your support without something in exchange."

"You are quite pragmatic, I see.  You're absolutely right.  In exchange, if you take power, we'd like you to oversee the construction of a meeting room for our guild.  A spacious one, as we intend to grow over time."

"This is all you desire from us?"

"All that we desire for now.  Obviously our continued support would need to be reevaluated regularly, but currently there are no needs that we need to fulfill."

Alast placed her hands on the table and leaned slightly forward, "So, do we have a deal?"
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 09:36:13 pm by 4maskwolf »

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2015, 03:39:11 am »

How many hostile animals have been killed? ((I would also like to propose a +30 politic points per FB and +15 for every undead))
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 34