Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 34

Author Topic: Crownhammers, the #1 undead, murderous bird sanctuary in the world  (Read 66888 times)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: Crownhammers, a succession game of politics, intrigue and backstabs
« Reply #285 on: March 19, 2015, 07:00:04 am »

Patch 1.5: furnace operators and strand extractors have been added to the guild of miners and processors. I think every profession besides hauling should have a guild now, let me know if anyone's still missing.

The Guild of John Smith has also gotten a buff.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 08:03:02 am by Deus Asmoth »
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 19, 2015, 04:02:54 pm »

So my brain appears to have crashed today. I'll commence playing and writing now.

Insane: What was that speardwarf called? Also, what do I call your new dwarf?

Longinus: Maybe. What's in it for the Whalers?

...I'll probably build you a small chapel anyway, nothing special. Whalers do believe in religious freedom. They'd be massive hypocrites if they didn't.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 19, 2015, 04:32:31 pm »

Whalers do believe in religious freedom. They'd be a normal religion if they didn't.
ftfy

Longinus

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing Evadeth Mine Eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 19, 2015, 09:32:09 pm »

Longinus: Maybe. What's in it for the Whalers?

...I'll probably build you a small chapel anyway, nothing special. Whalers do believe in religious freedom. They'd be massive hypocrites if they didn't.
ill tell you whats in it for the whalers i wont wage holy war on you if you biuld it

anyway ya a litle chpael should be fine just make sure it has an altar that it get smoothed
CRUZ FOR PRESIDENT!

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 19, 2015, 10:41:19 pm »

Taran sat in his quarters, a heap of papers on his lap. The Whalers had delivered the fortress ledgers to him in less than an hour. Now he would have the pleasure of spending the rest of the evening poring over the papers. Wonderful. At least he had a full flask of rum to keep him company.

The situation didn't seem too dire. They had food and hooch to last them the year, and stocks were going up. The entire population of the fortress had access to personal quarters. They had metal aplenty, including a short supply of adamantine. At some point in the previous year, they'd acquired a herd of crundles, and those were being domesticated for food and profit. All in all, a cozy situation.

If you didn't take the military into account, that is. Crownhammers was a poorly defended hole in the ground. They had but a handful of dwarves on duty at any given time, even fewer after the incidents with the undead birds last year. The Might of Killing, now severely diminished, couldn't handle the task of protecting Crownhammers by themselves. Taran didn't exactly trust them either. Perseus had joined the Allied Lancers as a speardwarf, both to lend a hand in defending their home and to keep an eye on the military in general.

They were still underequipped. Taran made a note to get them fully armed and armored as quickly as possible. While he was at it, he checked the cloth stocks. Not the most dire of situations, but he couldn't find a mention in the census of any clothiers. Taran wasn't looking forward to the wave of discontent he'd face if he allowed everyone's clothing to go to rot while he was in charge. Another note in his log then.

Finally, after hours of going through page upon page of detailed stocks, he checked the lumber supplies. Over ten thousand unprocessed logs were laying around Crownhammers. Taran's face shifted to a heartfelt smile for the first time since coming to this place. He knew now what to do.

He didn't leave the workshop for days. Various dwarves stopped by to talk with him, and all without exception had to do so over the sound of a hacksaw on wood. Taran worked with practiced ease, shaping tables and chairs beds and planks, even as he spoke with Balor or Illevaihcam or Nobeard. At one point he was approached by a strange dwarf by the name of Father Wolfe, who wanted a church to be made and consecrated in Armok's name.

Spoiler: Father Wolfe (click to show/hide)

Taran told him he would see what could be done and sent him on his way.

The soldiers of Crownhammers gathered outside the walls, clad in their new suits of bismuth bronze. They'd received orders from the Admiral to stand outside and look sharp, though none but Perseus had the slightest idea why. Overhead, a murder of crows circled the territory. They flew silently, far above the treetops, where the only danger they represented was a rain of birdshit. Some of the soldiers just rested against the trees to shield them from the blood rains, chatting away the time on this pointless mission.

Dwarves emerged from the gatehouse, heading in the general direction of the soldiers with tools in their hands. Half of them hauled wheelbarrows filled with long wooden planks. Bringing up the rear was the Whaler Bembul, carrying a wide sheet of paper and barking commands left and right.

"Alright ye sods, get ta clearin' the sight. Watch yer 'eads. You three, make with th' hammers. Come on now, we 'aven't got all bleedin' day!"

As the dwarves set about their tasks, one of the soldiers decided to confront Bembul. He was a Whaler, he'd know why they were given pointless orders. And he seemed more likely to spill it than Perseus.

"I'll tell ye why ye're here, mate," Bembul sneered. "See them birds o'erhead?"

The soldier nodded.

"They're attackin'. Ye might want to look inna that."

Civilians ran every which way. The military of Crownhammers brought out their weapons. They had just enough time to form up before the undead crows struck.

Ferocious as they were, their talons could do nothing against metal. The abominations stood no chance. The soldiers dismantled the lot of them without so much as a scratch between them. One blow from an axe severed the head of one crow clean from its neck, and it went flying into the upper boughs of a nearby tree. The severed head cawed incessantly, even as the soldiers finished crushing the undead birds to keep them from rising.

They stood watch in the area for another handful of days at the Admiral's behest. No further undead bird attacks occurred, so the idle soldiers turned their attention to the recent construction site.

None of them had the slightest bloody idea what it was.

"Why do you get to call him 'Captain'?"

Bembul stopped halfway through putting his trousers on and breathed a short laugh. "Y'know, tha's nae even the strangest thing I been asked after spendin' the night with someone."

Atir sighed. She was still in his bed, covers up to her neck to keep her naked form from the cold. She flashed him a serious look.

"I mean it, Bembul. You're always going on about how we should show him respect and call him by his title. But while the rest of us have to call him Admiral, you still call him Captain. Why?"

Bembul cinched his belt and turned to face her. "Lass, ye've known him lil' more n' a year. I've known th' Cap'n since afore ye were born. He n' I been through more shite t'gether than most dwarves will ever experience. Ta ye, he's th' Admiral. But he'll always be me Cap'n."

Atir didn't reply. She knew better than to pry at this point. Bembul and Taran never spoke openly about the past, as if they wanted it to remain buried. She would just have to respect that and turn her curiosity elsewhere.

For example...

"Did you ever, uh..." Wow this was a difficult one to talk about. "You know. Do it. With a human."

Bembul lifted an amused eyebrow in her direction. "Y'mean, 'ave I ever shagged a humie woman? Aye."

Well, that's one way to say it.

"Doesn't it bother you?" She asked. "Doing that with someone without actually being lovers?"

The handsome sailor laughed. "Oh lass. It's nae tha' simple. At sea, ye could spend over a year without seein' a single woman. They were exceedingly rare, y'see. Humies dun believe in gender equality, n' we sailed with lotsa humies. Whene'er we made port, we'd go into town n' try to seduce us some ladies. Oh, we told 'em th' tallest tales if we thought it'd get 'em into bed with us. If the landfish were nae bitin', the Cap'n would go n' find us some women o' the less savory persuasion to keep our beds warm."

Atir's eyes fell from his half-naked form and turned to the foot of the bed. It's not like she didn't expect this. He was older than her by far, and had probably been with a few dozen different women in different ports over the years. Not once had he stayed behind to court them, love them, build a future with them. She would be no different. Just a pleasant distraction of the flesh. To tell herself otherwise would be self-deception.

"Did you ever have any trouble with humans because of that?" She asked after a fashion. Bembul was mostly dressed by then.

"Well, once," he said. "Though not in th' way ye might be thinkin'."

He sat at the edge of the bed before continuing. "One o' the humes on our ship went a wee bit bonkers during a long trip. Name was Amsan or some shite. Started actin' all kinds o' loony. When we hit port, we all went aboot our usual lass-huntin'. Most of us found us some comp'ny for the evenin'. Amsan weren't so lucky. So he tried the whores, but couldn't afford any. Nobody 'ad spare change to 'elp the bugger out either. So he went n' took matters into his own hands."

Atir shuddered. "You mean he..."

"Aye," Bembul said in a stiff monotone. "Made no secret o' his crime either. Poor lass was devastated."

They sat in uncomfortable silence for a time. It was Atir who broke it.

"Did he get away with it?"

"Nae. Once th' Cap'n found out, he took th' matter into 'is own hands."

"What did he do?"

"Gutted the stupid fecker in th' street with a harpoon."

Immigration Ledger
4th of Slate, 202
Mid-Spring

Nish Bimstorlut, Fishery Worker (m)
Ingish Mengkubuk, Brewer/Mechanic (m)
Rigoth Imushavuz, Trapper/Wood Crafter (m)
Atir Mafolitdun, Glassmaker/Gelder (m)
Zasit Ezumimak, Presser/Weaver (f)
Ast Stukosuz, Trapper (f)
Ezum Tusunglikot, Tanner (m)
Fath Kubukam, Jeweler/Axedwarf (m)
Bomrek Unibbabin, Engraver/Diagnostician (m)
Ral Zithisustuth, Swordsdwarf (f)
Etur Astinal, Animal Trainer (f)
Rigoth Thothasmel, Mechanic (f)
Unib Dumatizeg, Soldier (f)
Avuz Eralsumun, Gem Setter (f)
Endok Bardumkivish, Bone Carver/Metal Crafter (m)
Thob Zonmuzish, Gem Cutter (m)
Unib Zursulvutok, Wax Worker (f)
Lokum Idrathobok, Spinner/Siege Engineer (m)
Kubuk Ralukinod, Glazer (m)

Total: 19

1 Guineacock
1 Turkey Gobbler
1 Baby Llama (m)
1 Baby Llama (f)
1 Blue Peachick (f)
1 Lamb (m)
1 Water Buffalo Calf (m)

Total: 7

There are now 72 dwarves living in Crownhammers. Faction leaders, feel free to stake your claims.

jrrocks1: Here are Perseus's thoughts as of the 6th of Slate.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Longinus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 19, 2015, 11:08:22 pm »

ooh looks interesting is taran makng a boat

anyway can i have my own faction with two of the new dwarves
CRUZ FOR PRESIDENT!

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 20, 2015, 05:33:53 am »

Just provide a name, since backstory seems to be covered. I'd also recommend spell check and capitalisation for no other reason that it helps people understand your meaning in some cases.

The Legion requests Bomrek Unibabin.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 20, 2015, 06:02:53 am »

So for my next post would it be OK if I made a request to the overseer? I would tell him that I am working with the king so It would make sense why he even took notise RP wise. Since to (most) everyone thinks I am just another legion member. Oh and if so I will write it in my next RP post.
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 20, 2015, 07:59:05 am »

If you have a scene you can just post it, or PM it to the other person involved if you have details to work out or something you think they'll disagree on. Canon rests with the turn player and the owners of characters involved.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 20, 2015, 04:09:24 pm »

Thanks! I was just wonderingif it was only for faction leader.
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Longinus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 21, 2015, 12:26:47 am »

alright im ready to make my faction "The Church of Armok"

id like to claim Lokum Idrathobok and Ezum Tusunglikot and ill throw my hat into the ring for overseer every year unti l i get it

Father Wolfe strode into the middle of the dining hall and jumped onto one of the tables.

"Dwarves!" he cried, "I have been sent to you as a messenger of the Blood God, Armok!

"Two hundred years ago, Armok formed this world out of the oblivion that existed before. After this was done, he formed every creature that now crawls upon the earth, and to each he gave his gift of lifeblood. And out of all these creatures, he took favor upon the dwarves and upon humans, and he created for them lesser gods to guide them in their endeavors.

"In these early days, our fathers remembered Armok and served him, but eventually they stopped. Now, Armok has allowed our once mighty empire to fall into the hands of our mortal enemy, and the lesser gods we worship raise no hand in our defense. But Armok has not forgotten his people, and he has chsoen me as his prophet. Indeed, has given me many visions in my sleep, and I, Father Wolfe, have been instructed to lead The Church of Armok. This I did for many yaers, but we were attacked just before I came here, and my entire congregation was killed.

"When I fled to this place, I did not expect to bear witness to yet another of Armok's miracles. Indeed, from the heavens came a rain of Armok's most divine gift, blood, the blood of our enemies the elves. It was then that I realized that this plot of land upon which the fortres is is the Promised Land. I have receieved visions of this land in my dreams, and am told that it is at this plot of land that we are to build a new empire for all dwarves, for we are Armok's chosen race. And so logn as we show devotion to Armok, this new empire shall never fall!

"I seek to rebuild The Church of Armok here! Let us always rember that all that we have is but for the glory of Armok!"

ok so my faction is The Church of Armok

Central Beliefs:
- Armok worship
- Armok dominionism
- Separatism

the more exact beliefs on the issues are below;

Government:
The Church of Armok advocates full secession from The Matched Silvers to found a new state in the Promised Land, with Crownhammers as the capital. The Church also advocates for a full integration of the Church and the state.

Religion:
The Church of Armok advocates Armok worship above all other forms of worship and relligion. Worshp of the lesser dwarvne and human gods is considered acceptable, but anything else is considered heresy and is strictly forbidden by the Church. Members of the Chruch show their devotion to Armok by preforming blood sacrifices.

Military:
The Church of Armok advocates aggressive military defense against enemies and invaders of the Promised Land. Female members of the Church are not permitted to serve in any armed ranks.

Races:
The dwarves are considered the chosen race of Armok, and the only race permitted to stay in the Promised Land. Peaceful memebers of the other races are allowed to pass through and to trade, but permanent residence is not allowed.

Individualism:
The Church believes that, although all dwarves have fundamental responsiibilitys towards each other (like dont just go around killing each other) every dwarf is free to advance by his own hand. Armok is believed to take favor on those who pull themselves up by their bootstraps and social welfare is strongly opposed by the Church.

Leadership Structure:
1. Armok: Eternal head of the Church
2. Prophet (Father Wolfe): Chosen One of Armok
CRUZ FOR PRESIDENT!

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #296 on: March 21, 2015, 01:31:00 am »

Can i have Rith Olinardes after I died? (s)he should already be in MOK, have he(r) promoted to leader of MOK

Can I have the stat's of Unib Dumatizeg and Ral Zithisustuth. because I like informed decisions

For the record can I have Etur Astinal (or the unclaimed dwarf with the highest animal training skill) next year.

Rith Olinardes slowly closed Insane's blood spattered journal, a single tear rolling down her cheek. As she tucked the little book into her pockets, she wondered, Why? Why would Insane leave the Might Of Killing to me? Rith had barely known the man, but had formed a close bond with him.

She had even been the one to tuck his crossbow, never again to sing it's dull thrum as it lanced a bolt towards an enemy, on top of his corpse, setting his hands on top of it. As an afterthought, she had placed a bolt in the groove, just in case he needed it in whatever afterlife he believed in.

"I will avenge you, my friend." She had whispered to herself as she had pushed the stone slab on top of the coffin.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 01:48:07 am by Insanegame27 »
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 21, 2015, 08:03:49 am »

Journal of Xan

Entry Three:

I think my plan could work. If it doesn't then I am in serious trouble with Knor. That coward of an intelligence officer is breaking my back with new orders: Investigate the Legion, look into the cults and what foul religion they follow, ascend to a rank of power, make friends with the leader of the hippies. Im only one spy! And this fort is definitely not normal. The amount of religious conflict here is extraordinary, and whats worse is that all of them are cults! King Uzol is a non-spiritual deity follower but one thing he hates are cults and fanatics. Knor is probably about to order an assassination! Gah, what am I doing? Goblins raid every settlement in  the kingdom with absolutely no resistance from Uzol. Well orders are orders. And many of these heretics are dangerous too, a new Dwarf arrived and proclaimed himself prophet of Armok! He advocated secession from the kingdom and transformation into a theocratic state. Treason! I have already sent Knor the news via messenger Cavy. Well I am going to do it. I am going to send a note to the leader of the Whale cult who currently run this place.

It says: I am Xan, a metal smith. I have some requests for you if you would be so kind as to read them. I would like to have a Temple for all of the gods and beliefs of the fortress. Their are so many gods that one big temple seems a viable option. I myself am lacking a place of worship. Thank you for considering.
-Xan

It would seem a perfect spot for taking care of any cult leaders with my crossbow or even a booze bomb. especially that treasonous, heretical, little runt that calls himself a prophet! Hah, me worshiping any of those cultist dark gods. Bah! Religion these days.

OOC: Just saying, I love your guys factions and cults.  :D Its just my guy being a spy has a sort of biased view on the factions.   :)

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

jrrocks1

• Bay Watcher
  • Armoks Sword in the Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 21, 2015, 12:02:52 pm »

Journal 2

It was unexpected and exciting to see the whalers take charge. Lately i have been very busy containing learning to fight on land with a spear very different to fighting on the sea. Also as of late i have taken up the habit of just looking out on to the sea. Many people are disgusted by the blood rain but in truth compared to the amount of blood i have seen spilled in my many years as a mercenary it is nothing. This new church of Armok...... it is making me wary. In all my time practicing the art of war the one thing that could turn even the most cowardly of fighters into demons upon the sea of battle was Religion. If one believed they were fighting with some sort of deity on their side they would do anything, even something guaranteed to get them killed all they would need is some sort of priest cheering them on. The other thing that disgusts me is the banning of women of joining the ranks of the military. As strong woman who has defeated many arrogant men it horrifies me they still consider men superior. Also the idea of secession and that dwarves are the holy race is complete bull. I have fought with humans and even the rare Elf who fought just as well as a dwarf. The idea of a chosen race is insanity. The kind of religion wars that could begin....... I do not know what to do. I will bring my concerns to the admiral we may have no choice but to allow them to enter but surely the Admiral and the rest of the Whalers will not support some of their rules!
From the forests of Elves, To the shores of Humans, To the Towers of Goblins, We fight our own battles, On land and on Sea, We fight for glory, We fight for gold, We are proud to call ourselves
A Dwarven Viking

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 21, 2015, 12:47:45 pm »

"The tenth meeting of the Fellowship of Equals will now commence."

The five dwarves sat around a table big enough for many more, assembled for the first time in the new year.  Alast Jorgenson opened her mouth once again to speak.

"Ustuth, I believe you had something you wished to discuss with the council?"

Ustuth Dodokam cleared his throat, gazing around the table nervously, "I do.  I believe that we need to make a formal apology to the Might of Killing for all of the deaths in their guild last year."

The table erupted in grumbling, but Ustuth plowed on "I know we strongly disagree with the tenets of their order, but it was under our charge that Insane and Quartz died.  I believe that it is our duty as those formerly in charge to take responsibility for their loss."

Alast nodded slowly, "Are there any dissenting opinions?"

Atir rose to her feet, slamming her hands into the table, "Why should we apologize for their deaths?  It is their job to protect the fortress, even if that means dying for it!  What stake do we have in their deaths?"

Ustuth waited for a moment, then replied, "Because I am responsible for their deaths."

All heads turned towards Ustuth, who gritted his teeth as tears welled up in his eyes, "It's my fault.  I am the only armorsmith in Crownhammers, and my armor wasn't good enough.  I bear full responsibility for their loss at the hands of the demonic birds."

Bembul stood and walked over to Ustuth, placing her arm over his shoulder, "It's not your fault that they died.  They knew their responsiblity to the fortress and they carried out their duty."

After ten minutes, a vote was taken: 4 in favor, 1 opposed.  Alast recorded the result in a ledger, then tore out a leaf of paper and handed it to Eral, "With the permission of the council, I believe that you would be the one best suited to compose our apology to the Might of Killing and deliver it to them."

Assent was quickly established, and the meeting continued.  Discussions of logistics, policy, and the state of the fortress dominated most of the meeting.  Finally, as the meeting wound to a close, Alast opened to the back of the ledger and pulled out a large number of loose papers, "As our second-to-last order of business, I have information on Balor."

A hush went across the room as she rifled through the papers, finally selecting one and pulling it out of the stack, "As you know, Balor was the dwarf in charge of rooting out insurgent groups for our current king while we were back at the mountainhomes.  Shortly before we set out to found the fortress, she was relieved of duty by the king and given an assignment lead us here.  What interests us, however, is why the king sent her."

"This paper is a transcript of a secret meeting between the king and an unknown dwarf which happened shortly after our departure for this place.  In brief, it details the uncovering a conspiracy around Balor and the nature of her mission here.  Some of the context was likely set in earlier discussions, but there is enough information here to make some informed guesses."

"It appears that Balor was using the funding the king gave her to not only fund those inquisitors but also to support some of the militant insurgent groups in the mountainhome.  While the evidence is less clear, it also appears that she had built up a vast network of spies and informants referred to as the Legion."

"Somehow, the king got wind that this was going on, but for unknown reasons decided not to execute her on the spot.  It is likely that this unknown dwarf was involved in the king learning of Balor's schemes, but we can't be certain.  However, the unfortunate part is what they discussed after Balor's treachery."

"The king plans to make a move within the next year to exterminate the major non-government factions in the mountainhome, and from the context appears to have been given a great deal of information on the groups.  The bottom of the page lists all of the groups singled out for extermination."

The other four dwarves strained their heads to look at the list, which was now placed in the center of the table.  Amongst other factions not present at Crownhammers were listed:

The Corporatists
The Whalers
The Church of Armok
The Fellowship of Equals
The Legion
The Might of Killing
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 34