Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 34

Author Topic: Crownhammers, the #1 undead, murderous bird sanctuary in the world  (Read 66919 times)

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crownhammers, a succession game of politics, intrigue and backstabs
« Reply #300 on: March 21, 2015, 03:41:13 pm »

Asmoth: Bomrek has joined the Legion.

TechnoXan: the Whalers are anti-monarchy. That being said, I'll see where I can throw in another place of worship.

The anti-monarchy thing is part of why the Whalers are so secretive with their worship in most of the world. I'd keep some of their members a secret if I could, but it's not feasible. Could you lot pretend that you don't know any Whalers beyond Taran, Bembul, Atir and Perseus from now on?

Insanegame27: I have dorfed Rith. And by dorfed, I mean gave her the name "Rith" so she'll be easier to find.

Spoiler: Rith Olinardes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Unib Dumatizeg (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ral Zithisustuth (click to show/hide)

A quick note here: Some of the factions have names that look a bit weird in the combat log. "The Union of Souls strikes the Minotaur" and the like. I'm speaking in particular of Fellowship of Souls, Might of Killing, Union of Souls and Church of Armok. That being said, I motion we allow the leaders of these factions to set a single custom identifier for their members. A bit like Asmoth did with the Legion; dwarves of that faction are already labelled as Legionaries.

Update coming within the next few hours!

EDIT: The Church of Armok has recruited Lokum Idrathobok and Ezum Tusunglikot. Forgot to mention that.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 03:56:46 pm by Rhaken »
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #301 on: March 21, 2015, 05:32:27 pm »

Could I please have Unib Dumatizeg's and Ral Zithisustuth's skills? i.e. speardwarf level, armor user level etc
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Longinus

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing Evadeth Mine Eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 21, 2015, 05:55:31 pm »

A quick note here: Some of the factions have names that look a bit weird in the combat log. "The Union of Souls strikes the Minotaur" and the like. I'm speaking in particular of Fellowship of Souls, Might of Killing, Union of Souls and Church of Armok. That being said, I motion we allow the leaders of these factions to set a single custom identifier for their members. A bit like Asmoth did with the Legion; dwarves of that faction are already labelled as Legionaries.
eh call em follwers of wolfe
CRUZ FOR PRESIDENT!

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #303 on: March 21, 2015, 07:20:07 pm »

Mighty Killers for us
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 21, 2015, 08:22:47 pm »

Neither of those appear to resolve the name weirdness, to be honest.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #305 on: March 21, 2015, 09:24:05 pm »

Um, Compare:
1) the Might Of Killing strikes the minotour...
2) The Mighty Killer strikes the minotour...

1) the Church Of Armok strikes the minotour...
2) The Follower Of Wolfe strikes the minotour...

Longinus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 21, 2015, 09:29:11 pm »

Neither of those appear to resolve the name weirdness, to be honest.
how does it not
CRUZ FOR PRESIDENT!

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 21, 2015, 09:39:40 pm »

Could I please have Unib Dumatizeg's and Ral Zithisustuth's skills? i.e. speardwarf level, armor user level etc

Here ye go. Update under construction. I have three possible directions to take this plot, though I'll admit one is more than a bit fiddly. I'll see what comes naturally.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #308 on: March 21, 2015, 09:41:15 pm »

Here ye go. Update under construction. I have three possible directions to take this plot, though I'll admit one is more than a bit fiddly. I'll see what comes naturally.

I'll take Unib for MOK

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 21, 2015, 11:42:35 pm »

Spoiler: An Uninvited Guest (click to show/hide)

It was Atir who first spotted him as he arrived from the west. A hulking brute, covered in shaggy fur, with the head of a raging ox, the horns with tips sharper than swords. It bellowed to the heavens as it entered the territory, charging through the trees, ramming massive fists into everything within reach. Then in paused, sniffing the air with its head arched skywards. It a heartbeat, it turned in Atir's direction, who had taken cover behind a tree.

Then it charged. Atir made a dash for the fortress. She managed to turn away just in time to hear a great splintering, the sound of wooden furniture being ripped in half. She dare not look back.

The minotaur gave chase through the western hills. Atir bellowed as she ran, hoping the workers would clear out and the military would respond in time. She saw dwarves scatter in all directions as she came within sight of the entrance. One, a craftsdwarf named Lorbam Titthalatir, didn't run fast enough. The minotaur lost interest in chasing Atir and turned its feral gaze upon Lorbam.

It happened almost too fast. The beast tackled Lorbam to the ground and followed her down. The downed dwarf tried retaliating with her fists, but her strikes didn't faze the brute. It retaliated with its own fists, pummeling Lorbam's limbs and chest. Then it took hold of a knee and bent it sharply in the wrong direction. Lorbam's cry of pain would have distressed even the undead birds of Crownhammers.

Inod Ableletes, a miner of the Union of Souls, ran outside in the commotion. She had heard the alarms. She also knew that the military would take forever to ascend the fortress staircase and rid the territory of this monster. So she took matters into her own callused hands.

Her pick went through the minotaur's arm like it was dirt. It didn't even flinch. Its other hand moved to Lorbam's throat, squeezing, crushing the life from her. Inod doubled her efforts. She rammed the pick through the creature's knees. It buckled, but kept on strangling. Now the head was within reach. With one mighty heave, she swung. The minotaur went limp.

Inod wasted no time. She tried to shove the monster's massive body off Lorbam, with some success. She tried to help Lorbam to her feet. The dwarf wasn't responding. She was pale and still. The flesh of her throat was a hideous purple. Inod tried to shake her, slap her, trigger a response of some sort. But she was too late.

The military arrived but moments later.

"Surely we have to do something about this, Admiral," Atir said. She had found the weathered dwarf out by the shore in the aftermath of the attack, gazing at the blood-tides. She still couldn't understand why he did it.

"Aye, lass," he replied, eyes still fixed oceanward. "Get Bembul and Perseus ta consult with th' commander. We needs us a barracks what's closer ta th' surface."

"Yessir. What about this Father Wolfe? He was spouting propaganda about this Church of Armok thing."

"I'm aware o' that," the Admiral replied. He was still gazing at the bloody waters. "I spoke to 'im afore. Wants him a place o' worship. I think I've found a spot fer it."

Atir couldn't understand that particular line of reasoning. "Admiral, may I be frank?"

"Ye'd damn well better be, lass. I'm no dictator."

She sighed, took a moment to collect her thoughts. "Well, it's just that the ideology of this Church of Armok seems... wildly incompatible with our own. Theocracies, banning women from the military, chosen race and whatnot. I spoke to Perseus about it, and she's with me on this one."

"As am I." For the first time today, the Admiral wasn't speaking in a monotone. "An' I find their belief tha' we were created 200 years ago to be pure hogwash. But who are we to deny others a place o' worship? 'specially after all what we suffered ta get our own beliefs to be accepted. T'is nae right, I tell ye."

"I understand, sir," she said. "But something tells me we should keep tabs on them just the same."

A powerful voice came from behind them. "Well, tha' goes wi'out sayin', dunnit?"

Atir turned to see Bembul cresting the dune and descending the beach toward them. He gave her a quick swat on the backside as he passed her. It's not like the Admiral was looking anyway.

"Construction proceeds a bit ahead o' schedule, Cap'n," Bembul declared. "What's more, I heard tha' the loony down below 'as finished his werk. Looked pretty patriotic fer a helm."

Taran simply nodded, waiting for Bembul to continue.

"Most o' the fortress residents are whinin' aboot a lack o' doors on their chambers. I've told the masons ta get on it. I put in an order fer new sets o' clothes afore we all have ta walk aroond with our willies danglin' in th' breeze. I've also noticed a strong adherence to th' Church o' Armok among the farmhands. Not sure wha' that's all aboot."

"Solid work, Bembul," the Admiral replied. Atir thought this would be a good time to bow out and get back to work, so she excused herself and went back to the constrution site. Bembul continued the status update until she was out of earshot. Something about dwindling hooch supplies, lack of workshop space, insufficient farming facilities.

It was only once Bembul was sure he was alone with Taran that he spoke his mind.

"Ye can hear again, can't ye?" He asked. "The Whalesong. Tha's why ye're always here."

"Aye."

"Ye really think she's still oot there?"

"I'm startin' ta think so."

Bembul sighed. "Ye do know tha' it's bloody well unlikely, aye? I mean, it's been so many years."

"I know, Bembul," the Admiral replied, finally turning to face his friend of a thousand voyages. "But I can feel it. I can hear the sails in the Song. Every bleedin' hour o' every bleedin' day. Callin' to me. Beggin' me ta leave this place behind n' swim until I find 'er."

"Bleedin' 'ells, Cap'n. We dinnae return here for that. And what if it's the Sunken One feckin' wit' yer 'ead? Wouldn't be the first time."

Taran shook his head. "T'is the Whalesong. I know it is. Even in this dead ocean. Ye'd hear it too if ye still 'ad an amulet."

"I cannae make one," Bembul replied. "There's no whales here. I 'aven't even seen one o' the buggers since... well, ye know when."

Taran nodded. The two old sailors turned to gaze at the distant horizon, beyond the waves and the tides of blood. A thin crimson drizzle fell from dark clouds. They stood in silence for a time, each lost in thought.

Bembul piped up after a time, when the drizzle was beginning to turn into a downpour. "Should we tell th' Preacher aboot his ludicrous beliefs, ye think?"

"Nae. Let him live in ignorance. Wouldn't believe us anyway."

"What year d'ye s'pose it is back home?"

"Bugger me, I've no idea."

The constant rain of blood slowed its pace as spring gave way to summer. The elk birds in the cages were slaughtered for meat and bones. A team of miners descended the central staircase with their implements in hand, ready to dig out a place for the worship of Armok within a layer of diorite. Another team sat by the surface construction with Bembul and Atir as the older dwarf pored over a mountain of blueprints and schematics, trying to find a place to throw in the new temple. They hadn't solved the matter of the new training facility either.

Spoiler: The Chapel of Armok (click to show/hide)

It was at this point that one of the construction workers came running to them, bringing news. A human caravan had been spotted approaching from the south. Atir, being the broker, made a beeline for the depot, leaving Bembul alone with a pile of the Admiral's plans.

Bembul felt he was being watched. He showed no sign of it. He'd had that feeling for several months now. Someone was stalking him and the other Whalers, though he had yet to figure out who it was. Any of a number of dwarves could be out for their necks. Was it Xan, who seemed to have eyes on every major player in Crownhammers? Alast? Balor? Was it one of Hef's dwarves, or one of Illevaihcam's? Or something else entirely?

By the time he was done with his musings, Atir was giving the humies a cordial welcome. If everything went according to plan, she'd buy out most of their crap with a handful of enormous silver corkscrews. That would include a glorious heap of food, and hopefully a bit of fish. It had been too long since Bembul had sunk his teeth into the bounty of the sea.

Bembul went over the maps again. At this rate, they'd never be able to relocate the military. Then it him him. The abandoned room on the surface. It already had a cabinet and everything. It was just a matter of tossing the soldiers in there and call it a day until they could find a more permanent solution. In the meantime, they could start drafting more soldiers to defend Crownhammers. Crossbowdwarves in particular. The military had no ranged support.

Again the feeling of being watched. He'd have to prod Atir about it later. If she felt it too, then perhaps his lessons weren't wasted on her.

Balor went through the ledger again. She redid her math, consulted previous logs, even walked through the fort looking for the stuff. At last, she was certain. A number of items were missing, vanished or otherwise misplaced. How did that happen on her watch?

She counted the numbers again. Numerous bars of lead were missing, along with an anvil. Out of over ten thousand wooden logs, over twenty were unaccounted for. Nobody she talked to had seen the stuff being hauled around, and lead wasn't known for its light weight.

Apparently, Crownhammers had a thief. A thief with a taste for heavy objects.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 06:18:21 pm by Rhaken »

Longinus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 22, 2015, 03:27:27 am »

Father Wolfe took a scroll from his stash and laid it on the talbe. He then made a prick in his finger and drew the blood into the nib of his pen.

Records of The Church of Armok in Crownhammers, part one:

I have recenlty announced my mission here to the dwarves of this fortress. Many of them have rejected my teachigns, yet I have gained two followers already. It is still a far cry from my original flock, but things must happen gradually. Both of them are of the farming profession, which just goes to show that sometimes the lowliest of dwarves can understand the order of things better than the most well-trained of philosophers.

A minotaur recently intruded upon this Promised Land, intending to uproot our presnce here by eating us all. Indeed, I heard it make several yummy sounds when it came near the dwarves here, indicating that he really wanted to put us all in his jaws Yet Armok, ever faithful to his promise, saw to it that our dwarves dispathc the creautre. The blood that the beast spilt upon the earth will make a fine offering to Armok.

Taran has agreed to my request for a small church in thsi fortress. I will soon be able to properly preforem my sacrifices and to properly initiate the new members of my flock. I'm 99.99% percent sure that he doesn't like me though. When I spoke to hin, his overall expression and way of saying his words seemed to say: "You're carzy!"' I'm gonna keep my eye on this oen, especially since he has control of the fort, for now at least.
CRUZ FOR PRESIDENT!

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #311 on: March 22, 2015, 04:22:16 am »

Spoiler: ... (click to show/hide)

Excerpt from insane's diary
(blood blots the date)
Today me and the troops sparred, Some of them are really starting to shape up, Just look at Rith. She already knew a lot about warfare, and she even taught the others a thing or two. But she was a little... (blot blots the page here)

A voice made Rith look up from the book. "Are you still reading that?" It was Tirith, The only remaining veteran of The Might of killing.
"Obviously" Rith replied, "But at least it's you sneaking up on me this time. Not one of those pesky... You know..."
"The other guilds?" Tirith queried. "Look. I think It's time the three of us held a meeting. Me, you and the recruit, Unib."
Rith sighs as she pulls her chair around to face Tirith. "I think we have some potential allies. The Legion has a similar focus to us, and maybe the fellowship of equals, to some extent. We haven't been pulling in votes lately. And we have taken a fair amount of casualties."

knock knock

"Come in."
The door opened and Unib's face came into view. "Ma'am!" She said, snapping to attention when the door had shut.
"At ease, Unib. You have a surprising habit of coming when we need you the most. What did you come to see me for?" Rith asked the rookie.
"Actually, I heard my name said as I walked past here, I was on an errand, hauling. Word on the tunnel is that the barracks is being moved, somewhere near the surface."
"Tirith, you were right we do need a meeting. Anyway, Unib, I think we have some potential allies. The Legion has a similar focus to us, and maybe the fellowship of equals, to some extent as well, well... Not really, but i feel safer around dwarves aligned with those factions than i would, say, the whalers. We haven't been pulling in votes lately. And we have taken a fair amount of casualties. So we need some civilians in MOK. The next two people aligned to us will hopefully be an animal trainer and armourer. I'm going to put in a request to the... Captain... of the whalers for some animals to be trained by our own trainer when we get one. Can I get a hoo-ah on that?"
"Hoo-ah!" The other two said in unision.
"I've got to go demand some animals from the... Captain."

((Basically, I want our next dwarf to be a dedicated animal trainer, And I request some/a lot of animals ordered for the caravan to be war-trained by the requested trainer))

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 22, 2015, 10:19:23 am »

Wait, is it a new year?
If so, Atir the gelder for the Union of Souls, please.

jrrocks1

• Bay Watcher
  • Armoks Sword in the Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 22, 2015, 11:32:29 am »

Journal 3

Recently things have begun to heat up. The minotaur and the other guilds have made things very stressful. The whole being charge thing is not as exciting as one may think even with the Admiral being the one officially in charge he does not trust many people outside the Whalers meaning more work for us. I am not complaining its just..... different compared to what we are used to. The other thing is that it may be time to gather an ally or two among the other guilds we can not work alone forever. The question is who though we need a guild that is not very public but willing to step in to help if we ask.................. "sigh" I still remember the sounds of the sea and the feeling of a boat rocking below your feet. I have decided when the time comes i wish to be buried in the water as every sailor deserves....... I just hope before than i could sail the sea once more.
From the forests of Elves, To the shores of Humans, To the Towers of Goblins, We fight our own battles, On land and on Sea, We fight for glory, We fight for gold, We are proud to call ourselves
A Dwarven Viking

Longinus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 22, 2015, 05:56:18 pm »

by the way whos tarmid
It was only once Bembul was sure he was alone with Tarmid that he spoke his mind.
CRUZ FOR PRESIDENT!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 34