Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 34

Author Topic: Crownhammers, the #1 undead, murderous bird sanctuary in the world  (Read 66695 times)

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
Re: Crownhammers, the #1 undead, murderous bird sanctuary in the world
« Reply #405 on: April 07, 2015, 08:36:52 pm »

Journal of Xan

Entry Five:
Blast! Things have turned for the worse. I think the traitorous Legion suspects me, and even worse, Balor is still alive! So, I, uhhhh. Lost my cool. "Blast you heathens! May you be tortured by the almighty king Uzol! Yes! Yes I was a kings agent. And proud of it! I know your secrets and it all ends now! The Monarchists will see to that. I already have two loyalists, probably the best Dwarfs in this whole cesspool, as my compatriots. You will never rule this place again. His lordship Uzol will see fit to that! For the king, you bloody traitors!!" I screamed in a painfully shrill voice into the counsel room of Balor and the Legion. I dashed away not even glancing back. The plan was in action now. My two compatriots tacked up posters all over the great hall and spread the word of the loyal Monarchists. My contact is gone. I don't know how or why but I am cut off from the kings support. No one knows where Uzol even is. As the threat of the Goblins even extends to vassals such as us. Gah! Once I turn this place into a Dwarven fortress fit for our great kingdom, they will pay. But. No. Well, they do seem to have a good syste-no! Grr, I-Ill just go tack up more copies of the Monarchist ideals. We must spread the word. For the king.

(Like it so far?  ;))
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #406 on: April 08, 2015, 04:00:04 am »

Rith wandered through the great hall, seeing all the posters put up. She hated the new Monarchist party. She hated everything they stood for. Uzol, monarchy, nobles...

"At least they're loyal to something..." She thought out loud in a soft voice. She was thinking of the nearly half of the population of this hellhole yet to choose a side. "Those Monarchists will see the end of my spear before they come to power, I swear of it.

((I am going to have Rith ask the overseer's dwarf for adamantine weapons for the MOK.))

((I just realised that Might Of Killing spells out the last 3 letters of armok. Can I change MOK's name to "Attack Range Might Of Killing"?))
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 08, 2015, 12:14:56 pm »

Rith wandered through the great hall, seeing all the posters put up. She hated the new Monarchist party. She hated everything they stood for. Uzol, monarchy, nobles...

"At least they're loyal to something..." She thought out loud in a soft voice. She was thinking of the nearly half of the population of this hellhole yet to choose a side. "Those Monarchists will see the end of my spear before they come to power, I swear of it.

((I am going to have Rith ask the overseer's dwarf for adamantine weapons for the MOK.))

((I just realised that Might Of Killing spells out the last 3 letters of armok. Can I change MOK's name to "Attack Range Might Of Killing"?))

Rith has become pretty damn badass by this point. I think I'll give her the artifact spear. Don't expect a whole lot else.

Xan: there are no nobles, and I don't think there ever will be. They are appointed via the liaison, after all, and extinct civs don't get one. That being said, I'm going to need to know which dwarves you claim to calculate the election results.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 08, 2015, 02:59:37 pm »

Agh! Sorry for the holdup. Where do I find a list or something? I would just take a farmer and an animal caretaker, or it's two farmers.
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 08, 2015, 03:22:29 pm »

Agh! Sorry for the holdup. Where do I find a list or something? I would just take a farmer and an animal caretaker, or it's two farmers.

Deal. You get Etur Astinal the animal trainer and Mestthos Idashrisen the farmer.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 08, 2015, 03:57:11 pm »

Yaaaay! Thanks!  :D

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 08, 2015, 07:23:05 pm »

The results of the election were in, and the future of Crownhammers rested now in the hands of another. The afterparty - mandatory after all public affairs of state in dwarven culture - had started in the dining hall, moved on to the Cloudsculler, and died down at some point in the late hours of the evening. Half-drunken layabouts wandered the halls, trying to find their own sleeping quarters and probably getting the door wrong a couple of times before finding their own beds. The only dwarves that weren't even slightly plastered in the early hours of the year 203 were the ones with something to hide.

Them and the pregnant lady, of course. She walked to her old quarters, deep underground, forgoing her room with Bembul aboard the Cloudsculler in favor of the comfort of old stone in the final stretch of her term. Though she hid it from everyone, Bembul included, Atir was beyond tired of the way the other dwarves looked at her, the way they presumably talked behind her back. Dwarves married for life, after all, and only had children with their spouse. But there she was, unmarried yet carrying a child. A 'wee bairn', as Bembul sometimes said.

Bembul's attitude over the past few months had been baffling, to say the least. She was still young by dwarven standards, but she had often noticed how prospective fathers changed due to the impending bundle of joy, for better or worse. With Bembul, there was no such change. He didn't even seem to be warming up to her, much less opening up. Would he be a good father like this? Would he be there for her at all?

She was thinking on their child's future as she crossed the threshold into her room. Nothing could have prepared her for what she saw.

Bembul sat on her bed. He smelled of heat and metal. Beside him was a curious structure built of silver, filled with intricate yet smooth reliefs and figures. It took her a moment to understand that it was a cradle.

"Bembul, did you make this?"

"Aye," he said as he stood up. "I figured we were gonna be needin' it soon. Gotta have somewheres ta poot our child at night, ye ken?"

Atir was taken aback. He had never referred to the baby as 'their' child. It was always 'the' child, far more impersonal.

"You mean...?" She couldn't finish the sentence.

"Aye, lass." He took her smooth hands in his rough ones. There was still soot on them. "I'm here fer ye."

She tried to reply. Words escaped her. She kissed him instead.

They lay down together for the night. She felt her worries melt away even as sleep overtook her. She dreamed of a bright future with her beloved sailor and their child, in a place where the birds were alive and harmless and it rained water instead of blood.

She noticed his absence as soon as she awoke. She glanced around and immediately noticed that the cradle was gone. So were many of her personal effects. Upon a quick yet groggy inspection, she noticed that everything that could have conceivably been used as a weapon was gone. She put on her work clothes and tried going outside. On the other side of the door was no hallway, but a wall of smooth stone.

She had been walled inside her own room. A panic threatened to take her then, but it was quickly superceded by something else. A curious feeling, a will outside of her own. It commanded her to look around, to find a sharp object. There were none. The presence loomed over her, primitive, incoherent, yet stronger than anything she'd ever felt. It took over and pushed her to the back seat.

She felt like she should cry, or shout, or slump into a corner. She couldn't. Her limbs weren't responding, though she knew she was moving in some way. She felt something seize up within her womb. The pain was overwhelming.

The baby was on its way.

They had all been made aware of the orders. Watch the hallway with the walled-in room. Stay mostly out of sight. Change watch every six hours. Nobody outside of Balor and the Whalers knew what was going on, but it pays to be safe. Especially now with that lunatic Monarchist going around spewing propaganda.

Reg's first watch came up on the second day. He lurked out of sight in a dark hallway, where he could keep constant watch without being ambushed. Now it was just a matter of waiting for six painfully boring hours and hoping nothing went wrong.

Reg picked himself up off the floor. His skull throbbed like someone had been ringing it with a hammer for the better part of a week. What the hell happened? He had been standing by out of sight, watching the hallway where Atir was walled in, and next thing he knows...

That thought jolted him fully awake. He ran to the walled-up room, praying to the Old Dwarf that nothing had happened while he was out. How long was that, anyway?

His hammering heart took an abrubpt stop when he reached the room. The wall had been torn down from without, not merely deconstructed. On the verge of panic, he ducked his head through the doorway. No sign of Atir. Someone had broken her out.

Oh, shit. Oh, shit.

He dashed through the halls of Crownhammers, dodging farmers and haulers on his way to the Cloudsculler's upper floors. He barged through the hatch into the Admiral's office, expecting to find him alone as always. He was about to start calling for him when he saw Balor sitting at one of the wooden chairs, next to Taran himself. She was saying something about Xan, as far as Reg could tell, but quickly held her tongue once she saw him.

He tried to muster words, but the Admiral beat him to it. "Reg," he said in a tone that froze the blood. "I trust ye have an excellent reason ta abandon yer post."

Reg choked on his own words. The Admiral's piercing glare wasn't helping matters. He finally managed to stammer out, "Someone broke down the wall."

He had never seen anything move so fast. The Admiral was out of his seat and dashing past him before he could even give a detailed report.

Nobody had seen the Admiral for two days. Likewise his right-hand dwarf Bembuland his lass Atir. Though business carried on as usual, things were oddly silent down in the workshops without the steady rhythm of Taran's saws and hammers, and drink night aboard the Cloudsculler was infinitely more boring without his tales.

Of the entire fort, only Reg, Perseus and Balor knew the truth. The two elder Whalers had gone for a prolonged swim in the ocean of blood, seeking the vanished Atir. Reg reported from the crow's nest every few hours, always with the same information. No sign of either of them. They didn't even come up for air. He had never given Balor any details about the Drowned, not even that they had been trapped beneath the ocean for years. But what if they were no longer immune to drowning?

He sighted Bembul on the third day. He emerged from the rising tide like a wraith from the deepest ocean trench, drenched to the bone and looking hollowed out. In his arms he carried an extraordinarily pale-looking Atir, the swell gone from her belly. He made for the ship with a shambling, twitchy gait. His sunken eyes and deathly pall frightened every dwarf he crossed. A dozen dwarves looked up from their mugs and plates to watch the Whaler limp by, their conversations dropping to a hush as if they were afraid he would hear them and lash out like a wild animal.

Bembul ascended the staircase to the sleeping quarters and deposited Atir on their bed. Reg and Balor followed him in. Perseus stood in front of them, utterly confused, spear ready to strike in case things went awry.

The sailor craned his head around to look at them. He looked dead. He opened his mouth to speak, but a torrent of murky water spilled out instead. He fell to his knees, wretching. When he finally managed to speak, it was in a choked voice, far less vivid than his usual jovial boom.

"She lives," he said before pitching sideways. "I could nae find her afore th' birth, but at least she lives."

Perseus called out from the doorway. "Bembul, are you feeling okay?"

The dwarf tried to chuckle from his position on the floor. All he managed was a watery gargle. "I've nae had food nor drink fer three days. No, I dun feel okay. Now quit yer fuckin' gawpin an' help her, will ye?"

Reg helped Bembul to his room while Balor set about examining Atir's condition. Her vitals seemed stable, though her breathing was shallow. A blackened umbilical cord protruded from between her legs. It looked to have beem torn apart at the end, then chewed on by fish. She was halfway through removing it when a familiar voice sounded from the hallway.

"Where is she?"

Perseus could hardly believe her eyes. The dwarf before her was definitely the Admiral, yes, but he looked older. Far older, perhaps a century. Though his hair retained its color, the lines on his faced had deepened to pits. His tan seemed to have faded to nothing. She half-stammered, "Are you alright, Admiral?"

"I'll be fine, lass," came the monotonic reply. "Jus' need ta rest. But nae until I know how Atir is doin'."

"Balor is working on her, sir," Perseus said.

The Admiral managed to mouth 'good' before turning around and dragging himself up the stairs. Perseus tried to help him up, but the Admiral shrugged her off. Once at the top, he locked himself in his quarters. He would only emerge on the following day, looking exactly as he did before his prolonged swim.

Taran made his way to the hospital with Bembul in his wake. He barged through the door and made a beeline for the single occupied bed. Atir's. She was sound asleep, snugly tucked in blankets up to her chin. Even so, she looked pale and exhausted, and her breathing was shallow.

Taran shifted his gaze to Balor, who had gotten up from her desk at their intrusion. "How's th' lass?" He sounded unperturbed, but there was no denying the sorrow on his face.

"She had a lot of water in her lungs," the Legionary replied. Bembul cursed. "She'll be fine though, just needs a few days to rest. Even the birth seems to have left her unharmed. What I can't vouch for is her mental state."

"Whaddyemean?" It took Balor a moment to get through Bembul's thick accent to understand the words.

"She woke up a few times since. I tried talking to her, but all she does is cry. Silently. I'm no expert here, but I do believe she's depressed."

"I... see." Bembul's shoulders visibly slumped. He fell to his knees besides the bed, resting his forehead on the pillow next to Atir's face.

"Bembul, I'm sorry," Balor said, putting a hand on the old sailor's shoulder.

"T'is fine, doctor," he replied with the barest hint of a tremble in his voice. "I'm jus' glad she'll make it. I'll worry aboot th' rest later. Now, could ye... could ye gimme a few moments?"

"Of course." Balor motioned with her head toward Taran, indicating the back room of the hospital. The two of them went in and she shut the door behind them. If past experience was anything to go by, Taran fully expected another slap across the face.

What he got was an accusing glare instead. "Care to explain to me how you survived for three days in the ocean without coming up for air?"

"I'm nae certain meself." Well, that reply did nothing to ease her mood. "Ye already know that me an' Bembul are Drowned. I cannae give ye th' details, not in a place what isn't secured, but I will tell ye this. Our sea gods want somethin' from th' two of us. Until they get it - whatever th' hell it is - they'll nae let th' waters take us."

"Fine then." Taran wasn't sure if she was convinced. "What about Atir then? She was gone as long as you were. Are you telling me she's Drowned too now?"

"Ach, nae, that's easier ta explain. Bembul found her floatin' a few miles north o' here."

Balor seemed a bit less likely to strike him then. He pursued another topic. "What aboot th' wall? Any news there?"

"One of my agents examined the place. I didn't tell him what it was for. He says the wall was taken down from the outside, but that's all the evidence he could find. Couldn't even get anything out of passersby."

Taran cursed. "So now what?"

"Now we get back to work. I have a patient to attend to, you know."

They returned to the main hospital room to find Bembul standing by the bed. He looked much calmer on the surface, save for the fists balled tight enough to make his knuckles white. The two Whalers departed without so much as another word, leaving Atir is Balor's care.

It was only once they reached the meeting room of the Whalers that they spoke again.

"So now I s'ppose we sit on our arses an' do fuckall aboot this?"

"Nothin' o' th' sort, Bembul. We'll be busier than ever."

"How d'ye reckon, sir?"

"We've got ta find us a certain bilge rat an' have a chat with it. Though I do hope ye're th' one what catches it fairst."

"Why?"

"Fucker won't live if I'm th' one who finds him."

Bembul hadn't seen the Admiral this agitated in years. Not since he'd disembowelled the rapist all those years ago. There was no mistaking the fury on his face.

The Whalers were on the warpath now.

Spoiler: Election Results 203 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Party Tallies (click to show/hide)

Bring on the next overseer.

jrrocks1

• Bay Watcher
  • Armoks Sword in the Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 08, 2015, 07:38:53 pm »

Wait why did we the Whalers go from 188.95 to 108.95?
From the forests of Elves, To the shores of Humans, To the Towers of Goblins, We fight our own battles, On land and on Sea, We fight for glory, We fight for gold, We are proud to call ourselves
A Dwarven Viking

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 08, 2015, 07:40:35 pm »

Wait why did we the Whalers go from 188.95 to 108.95?

Eight dwarven deaths during the year.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 08, 2015, 09:00:05 pm »

Good job on all of it! (The RP is freaking awesome dude!!)  :D

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 09, 2015, 09:20:36 am »

*ahem*
Gnorm, on the Steelhold wiki, has informed me of something.
The Legion has won. However, the only player dwarf who is a member of the Legion is Asmoth's dwarf, Balor. A mere two in-game years have passed since he last ruled, and rules forbid such a small gap.
The second place party is The Church of Armok, headed by Longinus. Now, Longinus was a ban evader. However, on the Steelhold wiki, Gnorm revealed that he was Longinus, and he will be taking his turn.

Expect updates.

This has been a message.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 09, 2015, 05:59:23 pm »

I'm not entirely surprised about that. On the other hand, Gnorm's been banned three times at this stage and I'm not at all interested in giving the turn to someone who'll just get banned again halfway through. If the rest of ye are willing to go along with it, fine. Otherwise the turn skips to Fallen.

In other news, I'm away from my computer till Sunday, so I'll update the parties and turn list then.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 09, 2015, 06:25:38 pm »

Ban, ban evader? I'm kinda confused guys. What's going on?  ???

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 09, 2015, 06:53:40 pm »

Gnorm got banned for something and now he's trying to evade said ban for Crownhammers.

BTW, it makes sense that Logingus was Gnorm. He certainly didn't talk like a newb.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 09, 2015, 08:58:22 pm »

Thanks for the info! Soooo, yikes, :o that sounds bad. What are we going to do?  ::)

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 34