Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Unique Fantasy Ideas Thread - The Not-Tolkien Chronicles  (Read 15772 times)

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unique Fantasy Ideas Thread - The Not-Tolkien Chronicles
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 04:53:54 am »

You should all join us in Let's Create a Setting and see what we can brew up.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 06:22:10 am »

You're not the first person to make a LCaS Forum Game. I remember the first one... it got somewhat 2spuki, entirely by accident.

E: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136726.0
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 06:23:46 am by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 07:17:29 am »

You're not the first person to make a LCaS Forum Game. I remember the first one... it got somewhat 2spuki, entirely by accident.

E: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136726.0

> Venus-like atmosphere.
lol everybody is dead forever...

> Intelligent lava/magma squids.
...except for these ones (maybe)
._.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 09:42:35 am »

I rather like the world that King of Dragon Pass is based off of, Glorantha. When I get a second, I'll type out all of the quirks that make that particular world tick.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 10:07:58 am »

I rather like the world that King of Dragon Pass is based off of, Glorantha. When I get a second, I'll type out all of the quirks that make that particular world tick.

Glorantha is one of the best fantasy settings in the world, bar none.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 10:24:05 am »

> Venus-like atmosphere.

No, normal *humans*, and only the kind from Earth, are dead forever. Don't presume Earth biochemistry for explicitly non-human (Ashworld didn't even HAVE humans) species.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2015, 11:10:17 am »

> Venus-like atmosphere.

No, normal *humans*, and only the kind from Earth, are dead forever. Don't presume Earth biochemistry for explicitly non-human (Ashworld didn't even HAVE humans) species.
It has elves and dwarfs. Unless they're literally nothing like any of the classic fantasy depictions of them, they're going to instantly die in Venus-like atmosphere. Instantly.

Venus-line atmosphere includes 100 atmospheres of pressure, 500 Celsius of temperature and sulfuric acid everywhere. No kind of any remotely normal beings can survive this bullshit.
._.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2015, 11:11:13 am »

I think Ashlander-style humans would've been cool. Using the bivalves of moluscs as masks or something.

It has elves and dwarfs. Unless they're literally nothing like any of the classic fantasy depictions of them, they're going to instantly die in Venus-like atmosphere. Instantly.

Venus-line atmosphere includes 100 atmospheres of pressure, 500 Celsius of temperature and sulfuric acid everywhere. No kind of any remotely normal beings can survive this bullshit.

Yeah, I think he meant more Mistborn-style atmosphere. Constantly mirky and filled with ash.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2015, 12:03:33 pm »

I haven't read through it yet, but the entire print run of the Talislanta RPG, 1st-5th Edition, has been released free for download by its creator (because apparently he made enough money with his music career).

Anyway, it's supposed to be different from the standard fantasy fare, less Tolkien's LotR and more Jack Vance's Dying Earth. At one point, it's marketing slogan was "No Elves!". It will probably take some looking through to see how well it lives up to that.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2015, 12:13:28 pm »

Concept: All fantasy races are just different species of humans
Description: Humans figure out how to heavily genetically modify themselves to the point where cross breeding between different types of heavy genetic modification is impossible, then the world falls apart and goes through a dark ages type thing where war, plague, and general decline tear apart the world taking away trade, industry, and destroying education. Now fast forward a bit more there are several races of humanoids who can not breed with each other, are each very different, and live in a medevile type era making it seem like a fantasy setting.
Source: One of my game settings, the great river
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2015, 12:16:27 pm »

Description: Humans figure out how to heavily genetically modify themselves to the point where cross breeding between different types of heavy genetic modification is impossible, then the world falls apart and goes through a dark ages type thing where war, plague, and general decline tear apart the world taking away trade, industry, and destroying education. Now fast forward a bit more there are several races of humanoids who can not breed with each other, are each very different, and live in a medevile type era making it seem like a fantasy setting.

You should go read The Dragon's Path. Man was engineered into various different species by dragons in the distant past.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2015, 12:23:16 pm »

Concept: Nonstandard elements
Description: Wood is added to the standard four classical elements and "earth" is replaced with "metal"
Source: Rokugan and other settings based on ancient eastern woo-woo stuff
Actually a RL traditional Eastern thing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_Xing

My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2015, 12:24:49 pm »

You should go read The Dragon's Path. Man was engineered into various different species by dragons in the distant past.
Oh... I havnt heard of it .-.
Just when I thought I had an original idea
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2015, 12:47:15 pm »

Concept: Race of hive mind machine worshipers.
Description: It's a race who's whole idea is that the world works on a schedule. Things are meant to happen at this time, with these people, and that is going to happen. Nothing is allowed to deviate from that point of view. They hate new things and new ideas and desperately attempt to keep technology from falling into the hands of "lesser" or "uncivilized" races. Every individual is a cog in the larger "industry" of the world. Individuality is dangerous and is seen as deviant behavior.
Source: Dwarves in Glorantha. All hail the schedule!

Edit: They still hate elves though. Who are different from the Tolkien idea of Elves being essentially Men+ but not unique enough to mention here.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 12:52:35 pm by birdy51 »
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2015, 01:17:16 pm »

Humanity could actually reasonably (for the standard of any other options) colonize Venus's atmosphere. Once you go up a little bit, it's surprisingly earth like.

http://www.citylab.com/tech/2014/07/the-surprisingly-strong-case-for-colonizing-venus/373560/
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7