Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Unique Fantasy Ideas Thread - The Not-Tolkien Chronicles  (Read 15810 times)

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unique Fantasy Ideas Thread - The Not-Tolkien Chronicles
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2015, 11:11:23 am »

I remember a Canadian or Australian kids show from the 90s on that theme that I loved as a child. Something about a boy ending up in a coma and going on adventures in search if his missing father in an adultless world together with his nerdy girl friend and his bully.

This is pokemon.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2015, 11:13:17 am »

I remember a Canadian or Australian kids show from the 90s on that theme that I loved as a child. Something about a boy ending up in a coma and going on adventures in search if his missing father in an adultless world together with his nerdy girl friend and his bully.
It's Canadian, and it's called The Odyssey.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2015, 12:04:15 pm »

It's Canadian, and it's called The Odyssey.

...I was being flippant.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2015, 01:46:07 pm »

I think be was clarifying for my benefit, not as a response to your joke. Anyway, thanks kadzar, that seems to be it ;)
Love, scriver~

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2015, 01:40:45 am »

Concept: Dreams invading reality.
Description: Creatures from the land of dreams invaded (literally invaded, with armies and stuff) reality in the distant past.
Source: D&D (Eberron Campaign Setting)

Concept: Dreams attacking reality
Desxription: A ghost haunting a person's dreams can cause harm inflicted in said dreams to alsp happen to the hauntee in the real world
Source: Nightmare on Elm Street
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 01:43:49 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2015, 03:42:09 am »

Can we do Sci-Fi too?

In any case, here's one like that.

Concept: The precursors are actually humans

Description: Humans didn't really come from Earth but from a different planet somewhere in the galaxy, they seeded a bunch of planets with small populations with wiped memories to let them grow and develop before harvesting them for genetic material at a certain point down the line.

Source:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2015, 03:44:01 am »

Actually, that's fairly common.

Unfortunately, I cannot really give other examples, because that would be spoilers that there would be literally no way to hide.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2015, 04:32:00 am »

Might & Magic is one of such examples, actually. It's not really hidden, even.
._.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2015, 10:40:12 am »

Unfortunately, I cannot really give other examples, because that would be spoilers that there would be literally no way to hide.

7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2015, 01:00:46 pm »

Glorantha.  The whole thing.

Broos are creatures of chaos. As a result of their ability to mate with anything, they have the body of a man and features of their animal parent, often deer, goats, antelope, cattle, and sheep. The animal parent normally dies with the child eating its way out of the host at full gestation. They worship Malia, the Mother of Disease, and Thed, the goddess of rape and mother of Chaos.

Scorpionmen are belligerent folk, who look like a sort of scorpion-human centaur.They are described as stupid, vicious and live in violent matriarchies with a religious emphasis on devouring. They are chaotic in nature.

Ducks or Durulz are large intelligent ducks with arms instead of wings (or men cursed with feathers and webbed feet, depending on your point of view). They reside around rivers, mainly in Sartar, and have an unexplained mystical affinity with Death.

Aldryami are Gloranthan plantmen, nature and sun worshipping—mainly worshipping Aldrya, deity of plants. Unlike Tolkienesque elves, they are alien, physically plant-like and often hostile to normal humans ("meat men'"). Like many other fictional elf races, they are excellent archers.

Mostali are a machine-like dwarf race, extremely xenophobic, orthodox and insular. Inventors of iron, which has many extraordinary magical properties in Glorantha, contrasting to the primary metal used bronze.

Uz, the trolls, are the race of darkness, large, intelligent, astoundingly omnivorous, with a very developed sonar-like sense (darksense). Their societies are matriarchal, and they worship, among others, a goddess of darkness called Kyger Litor, mother of the Trolls, and the more violent and sinister Zorak Zoran.  They also eat literally anything

Dragonewts are a magical race who comprise several forms of neotenic dragons, engaged in a cycle of self-improving reincarnation. They are extremely alien with an incomprehensible mindset. They must have oral surgery in order to speak human languages.

It's an extremely well-developed mythology, including handling the real-world issues of imperialism, racism, conflicting and deeply held religions, etc, that most fantasy worlds gloss over.

I want a series of novels set in Glorantha, I really, really do.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2015, 03:11:55 pm »

I did, then realized that the spoiler tag only hides the name of the series, which doesn't tell you anything about what it's a spoiler for, which makes the entire tag completely and utterly worthless.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2015, 11:44:18 pm »

Concept: Religions in game world are just a crap ton of cults, all gods in game world are just powerful spirits
Description: For religions to form a person has to gather a following of 10 or greater, once they die their spirit may choose a follower for them to communicate through, if the followers are devout the leader who died becomes a minor god of a sphere that they represented in life.
Source: game idea maybe
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2015, 01:41:51 am »

Concept: An evil cult which heals people for cheaper than normal temples do.
Description: It explains why they're actually popular.
Source: Might & Magic.
._.

King Kravoka

• Bay Watcher
  • I will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2015, 01:54:13 am »

INCOMING SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION

Nearly everything in my Aldartha setting.

The Elfs are based of the Carapacians and abhor magic. Humanity is incredibly magically proficient. Nearly all of the gods are actually extradimensional creatures made of pure Thaumic Energy. Magic is used for a great deal of "Sci-Fi" technology, all the way from energy shields to FTL travel. Vampires are shapeshifting giant humanoid mosquitoes.
Sure. Yes, you are the Silver Surfer to a very inept Galactus.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2015, 02:29:11 am »

• Concept: Ambiguity about the nature of gods.
  • Description: Often, fantasy seems make gods a clear cut matter. They exist, they have set personalities, affinities and only interact in clearly defined manners. What if it didn't? What if the gods are seemingly indistinguishable from lovecrafitan horrors aside from humanity being used to them? What if they never physically manifest or communicate directly, leaving questions as to whether there is a single multi-faceted entity or an entire pantheon of them? What if there is no real reason why they would not manipulate the world in a manner that people cannot recognize, if say, a god of death doesn't actually have an afterlife and instead just carefully maintains an illusion thereof to hide the fact that souls don't exist, or a god of morality is secretly eroding away the very concept of free-will to ensure that it is impossible to perform an immoral act? What if it is impossible to tell whether the gods are sentient, or even real, as opposed to some sort of massive magical fluctuation controlled by the collective unconscious or just people seeing seemingly meaningful patterns in random occurrences?
  • Source: There probably are some settings that do this, but nothing comes to mind. I am currently working on a setting that incorporates elements of this.
    Edit: I've been told Eberron does this.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 02:52:46 am by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7