Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Interest Check: Poetry Writing Competition  (Read 2487 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Interest Check: Poetry Writing Competition
« on: February 16, 2015, 04:42:42 am »

For those of you who haven't seen it already, Toady posted some examples of poetic descriptions here that showed us what to expect in the next update.  I thought, "what better way to celebrate this new addition of flavor to the wonderful world of Dwarf Fortress than to have a Poetry Competition?!" 

A poetic description from the game would be chosen and people could write their own interpretations that follow the given details.  Then, the winner (chosen by popular vote at the end of the week) could select a new poem, which would become the following weeks challenge. The idea is blatantly stolen from the Forgotten Beast Art Contest, which if you haven't looked at yet you should definitely give a peek! 

What do you guys think?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Interest Check: Poetry Writing Competition
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 05:05:48 am »

In that case, lets start:

A poetic form intended to express grief over a chosen subject, originating in The Mists of Winding. The poem is a single couplet. It is always written from the perspective of a relative of the author. Use of metaphor is characteristic of the form. The second line of the couplet presents a different view of the subject of the first line. The first line concerns the past. It has five feet with a tone pattern of even-uneven-even. The second line concerns current events. It has four feet with a tone pattern of uneven-even-even.

Honestly, I might suggest leaving out all the part I marked as glowing. Might be too hard to find contestants otherwise.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 05:24:09 am »

Well I might as well have a go. I doubt I'll win, or even do well, but I'm excited to see what others come up with.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 09:31:42 am »

I might take a crack at this.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 11:41:52 am »

Great idea.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think (according to Toady's devlog) any language qualifies but English is probably going to me most welcomed. Let's try it.

I made this

Then I tossed in relatives and more metaphors:

And shortened the second line:

I think I have managed to match all restrictions beside that (un)even-ness. But as a non-native English speaker I am settled with syllables count (and sing-ability of the poem in my head).

By the way: The world is already watching.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 12:35:26 pm »

Love this idea, hoping to read some great poetry from you talented people.  By the way, did you notice your timestamp is 04:42:42?

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 01:21:03 pm »

Obviously it's going to be difficult to follow every peom.

i.e.

Artistic liscence is perfectly fine - no one expects the translation from Dwarven to English (or your language of choice) to be perfect, though you get style points for how close you stay to the original.

And I would also suggest that picking a novel-length poem is poor form.

By the way, did you notice your timestamp is 04:42:42?

* evictedSaint x-files themesong starts playing
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 01:30:48 pm by evictedSaint »

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 03:05:49 pm »

A reflective poetic form intended to satirize a chosen subject, originating in The Muddy Monsters. The poem is thirty-six nine-line stanzas.
Beowulf has like ~3200 lines.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 03:11:10 pm »

A reflective poetic form intended to satirize a chosen subject, originating in The Muddy Monsters. The poem is thirty-six nine-line stanzas.
Beowulf has like ~3200 lines.

Still, picking a 300+ line poem might be too much.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 05:19:17 pm »

Dwarven poets apparently have a rather diverse store of metrical feet: some of them are familiar stress patterns, while others are, interestingly, tone patterns. (Perhaps Toady is planning to make the official Dwarvish a tonal language after all.) The competition sounds challenging and fun, and I might participate at some point, but I seem to be unable to come up with a pithy couplet right now.

Loimulohi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 07:01:07 pm »

I was hoping there'd be a topic for poems but I guess this thread'll have to do. I tried my hand at the ribald poetic form intended to praise a lover, originating in The Laborous Sun:

Quote from: Her tush
Like plump helmets, her rump's velvet
Like quarry bush her merry tush grows hairy daily

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 07:16:36 pm »

I was hoping there'd be a topic for poems but I guess this thread'll have to do. I tried my hand at the ribald poetic form intended to praise a lover, originating in The Laborous Sun:

Quote from: Her tush
Like plump helmets, her rump's velvet
Like quarry bush her merry tush grows hairy daily

This one? I don't know if there has "just for poems" thread been already started but here, once this form is selected, your poem will surely be added into competing ones.

Currently selected form is that
(noted by jwoodward48df)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 07:32:01 pm »

Nothing has been selected just yet. This thread is merely an interest check.  Once Toady puts up the next version, I'll make a  new thread for the competition.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 10:50:29 pm »

I'd be willing to participate if you could give me a crash course on what all the terminology means
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 11:49:37 pm »

I'd be willing to participate if you could give me a crash course on what all the terminology means
Oh yes, a quick explanation on the key words in the OP would be nice. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: [1] 2