Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Please rate Muh music (Student, composer wannabe)  (Read 1002 times)

GMS

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Please rate Muh music (Student, composer wannabe)
« on: October 01, 2016, 12:17:53 pm »

I am a music student in Brasil and one of my goals is to produce VGM OST. For that, I've been practicing classical guitar (as a harmonic instrument), the recorder(for composing melodies, since that's the only melodic instrument I know) and a little of harmonica and piano.

I have many compositions, but only finished 2:

This, a composition for classical guitar...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPANsgkD_Ws
And this, for an orchestra... something I can't produce, but god bless pirate bay's VSTs an DAWs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fubReh9pGV0

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Please rate Muh music (Student, composer wannabe)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 11:36:51 am »

For Euphoric Consequences, The use of , I don't know, chords? Feels a bit repetitive. Anything to mix is it up would be great, maybe a slowed down chord/progression. Or that thing where you play a less harmonic note and build around it in a pattern that is not a chord. But overall the compostion is great. I also feel the piece would fit a soothing a background music and thus should be mildly quieter.

If you want to make your orchestral music super popular give every individual a time to shine. As opposed to everyone playing at once. But you could just do that in another piece.
None of the orchestral music seemed to stand out at all, There is no climax!  Possibly due to the flute playing the entire time? I don't know.
This isn't a military lock step music where you follow the beat judiciously.

An orchestra is supposed to REALLY stand out when they play music! Your video doesn't. I don't know if that's because of the limitations of MP4 vs a real orchestra or what.

I failed listening to music in college.

GMS

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Please rate Muh music (Student, composer wannabe)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 03:12:59 pm »

If you want to make your orchestral music super popular give every individual a time to shine. As opposed to everyone playing at once. But you could just do that in another piece.
None of the orchestral music seemed to stand out at all, There is no climax!  Possibly due to the flute playing the entire time? I don't know.

I believe it is both about the structure I made (too many repetitions) and the lack of dynamics with the digital instruments. I'll try this idea, thanks :D