Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Furry Fortress  (Read 26336 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Furry Fortress
« on: February 16, 2015, 03:23:41 pm »

The plan is to replace the mythological humanoids, even humans and dwarves, with various types of animal people that you might see on cartoons or depraved deviantArt pages.  I meant to do less, but came up with Vulps (foxes), Lagomors (rabbits), Komodos (monitor lizards), Anatons (ducks), Pantherans (lions/tigers/etc), Equids (horses, possibly centaurine), Elephuds (Elephants), Formicines (Ants).  Each should be playable in fortress mode and have a lot of unique biology, ethics and allowed buildings and reactions. 

A lot of my original plan didn't work out the way I would have liked, since DF lacks he necessary mod tokens, but here was the original plan:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Everything I make, I will try to post in this folder.  Download it, check it out, let me know how I did.

Vulps  (Fox)
The most dwarf-like.  Major changes are teeth and claws have precedence over punching and kicking and they have agility instead of toughness.  They get Japan themed weapons like katana and shuriken. 

Lagomors  (Rabbit)
2nd most dwarf-like.  They will refuse to trade animal parts, but you can still hunt and butcher animals if you're controlling them.  There is no HERBIVORE tag, so they eat anything, but they cannot make leather.  Highly agile.  They get English themed weapons like bills and longbow. 

Komodos  (Lizard)
Carnivorous monitor lizards.  Cannot start with plants or seeds, and can't eat them anyways (though they still need clothing).  Slow but tough, like a dwarf.  They get Egyptian and Arabian themed weapons like the khopesh and shamshir. 

Anatons  (Duck)
Amphibious, but that doesn't matter because the AI doesn't realize it.  Huge disappointment.  Maritime themed weapons, like tridents and cutlasses.  Penalty to digging, since ducks don't live in burrows like the others, but only slight since they're so sucky.  Truly devious players could probably find a way to utilize them. 

Equids  (Horse/Centaur)
Giant centaurine horse-people.  Their size and speed make them formidable.  There is no HERBIVORE tag, so they eat anything.  They get Polish (hussar) themed weapons like the koncerz and nadziak and some other cavalry themed weapons like the lance.  Terrible at digging as penalty for being extremely good at everything else. 

Leokin   (Lions)
Very big, sharp teeth and claws.  Males are larger than females and get different natural skills.  Carnivores.  Like Equids, terrible at digging. 

Elephuds   (Elephant)
Not Yet

Formicines  (Ant)
Not Yet  Because these are the least dwarfy, they'll require the most work, so I might get lazy and skip them.  But Ace the SuperVillain likes ants for their human-like societies, so who knows. 

There are thoughts of Monkey, Panda, Snake, Crocodile, Racoon, Kangaroo and Honey Badger civs.  We'll see...

As far as I know, large animals in general can tolerate alcohol and many, such as monkeys, bears and elephants, will actively seek it out.  So even though you should not give alcohol to your pet rabbit, dog or lizard, I think a dwarf or human sized version should be fine with.  (and what the heck, it's fantasy)  Assuming that CARNIVORE does not cancel it out, all races will be able to tolerate and produce alcohol. 

(expect edits)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 07:56:48 am by AceSV »
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: Furry Fortress
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 09:16:53 pm »

Alright, let's start it hot.  Here's a first draft for the Vulp creature (not entity yet). 

I just copied the data for Dwarves (from the wiki, not the game, if it matters) and changed this and that.  It became quickly apparent that I have no idea what I'm doing.  Here's a list of changes.

Added Tails to BODY
Removed Martial Trance ability Put the Martial Trance back in.  The Vulps will end up being a kind of Ninja/Samurai culture. 
Not sure how to make Fur tissue
Switched Agility and Toughness Attribute Ranges, so ++ Agility and - Toughness
Not touching the Physical Appearance
MaxAge to 90:110
Changed Broadness to Length
I don't know how to change the BP Appearance Modifiers.  It seems to be referencing variable names, and I couldn't figure out what the variables are referencing that I could change the strings.  I'd prefer to give them descriptions for their snouts, pointy ears, fur, and tails instead of the humanoid ones. 
Wanted to adjust it so that Bite and Scratch are more effective and more favored than Punch and Kick, but it seems like the attack attributes are the same for creatures like foxes and dingo men as they are for dwarves.  I assume what you'd actually have to do is modify the jaw and nail size, but I don't know how to do that. 
Smell Trigger to 50 instead of 90
Left Alchohol Dependent for now.  Of all the animals that would be alcohol dependent, foxes seem the most likely. 
Copied Gait Speed from Elves
Removed facial hair from males
Added caste names to male and female, Vixen and Reynard
Changed hair colors to remove brunette shades and add red shades.  Changed aging hair color to match lifespan (not sure if I want foxes to go grey ever though).  Did not change eye or skin colors.
Gave GENERIC_TEETH_WITH_LARGE_EYE_TEETH instead of TEETH
4 fingers and toes instead of 5
Added the line [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:BODY_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS:HAIR] which I think means fur. 
I decided to just remove the BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIERS.  I can't figure out how to write my own and I don't think I really want to.  They tend to sound weird and are ultimately irrelevant. 

The majestic Vulp:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My brain still feels melted by trying to figure out how all that crap works.  If any like-minded modders want to assist, I'd be happier to crunch numbers and draw sprites than to mess with all these tissues and variables. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 11:05:20 am by AceSV »
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 08:23:54 am »

As far as I know, large animals in general can tolerate alcohol and many, such as monkeys, bears and elephants, will actively seek it out.
Source on that?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 08:35:16 am »

inb4 Kevak
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 08:44:29 am »

As far as I know, large animals in general can tolerate alcohol and many, such as monkeys, bears and elephants, will actively seek it out.
Source on that?
Google "animals that drink alcohol" and a lot of articles come up. Hint: the critter with the highest alcohol tolerance on Earth is not humans:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/the-alcoholics-of-the-animal-world-81007700/?no-ist

The pen-tailed treeshrew of Malaysia gets credit for having the world’s highest alcohol tolerance. Seven species of animals, including the treeshrew and the slow loris, feed on fermented nectar from the flower buds of the bertam palm plant. But though the treeshrew quaffs this brew all day long, it doesn’t get drunk, scientists found in a 2008 PNAS study. “They seem to have developed some type of mechanism to deal with that high level of alcohol and not get drunk,” University of Western Ontario microbiologist, and study co-author, Marc-André Lachance told LiveScience. “The amount of alcohol we’re talking about is huge—it’s several times the legal limit in most countries.”

They gave macaques alcohol and the patterns of use are strikingly similar, with lonely monkeys drinking a lot more.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3423881.stm

The elephants are known to have a taste for rice beer brewed by tribal communities across north-east India.

But this is the first time some of them have died after consuming the drink.

A herd of about 20 to 25 elephants went on the rampage in a remote area in the West Garo Hills district earlier this week after getting high on the beer.

Elephants steal beer, go on rampage.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 08:47:54 am by Reelya »

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 09:31:39 am »

Source on that?

Reelya's got some good stuff.  For bears, I've heard various news stories.  One was on @midnight I think.  As for monkeys:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBIctc09xGo  Elephants:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2229334/Fifty-drunken-elephants-ransack-village-gulping-500-litres-alcohol.html  Various african fauna:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50tlF3kGbT4

However, the more I think "Would it be realistic for _____ to drink alcohol?" the more I think "Why should it be realistic?"  The animal races will produce and drink alcohol because it's a key mechanic in Dwarf Fortress, not because there's any biological reasoning behind it.  At least 2 of the races will be ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT just because the token exists.  Definitely Vulps and probably Equids. 

King_of_Baboons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 09:55:49 am »

Furries!

Finally we have more interesting kinds of animal people!Are they going to have special abilities for each race?I really want to have a fox adventurer!
A medium-sized creature prone to madness and insanity.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 10:35:24 am »

Furries!

Finally we have more interesting kinds of animal people!Are they going to have special abilities for each race?I really want to have a fox adventurer!

This is my first time modding anything, so the first couple of races, Vulps (foxes) and Lagomors (jackrabbits), will be very similar to elves and dwarves.  I was going to focus on cultural differences and turning on or off reactions and buildings. 

What would you think of as a special ability? 

King_of_Baboons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 11:06:32 am »

Just generic stuff like rabbits having more agility,lions/pantherans using their claws and teeth to kill and the elephants just being like living tanks.Also there should be an evil race since you're planning to overwrite goblins with a furry race.....maybe blood wolves?

I would also be happy if there was a monkey race.The default DF monkeys aren't enough to build my empire of simians!How can I be the King of Baboons if my people are dumb as door?

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 11:22:56 am »

I don't like an idea of making anyone "the bad guy".  Good and bad will be up to you and the specific history of your world.  You might play as Lagomors and fight a war with Pantherans, making Pantherans the bad guy, but you could also play as Pantherans and be sieged by Lagomors, making the rabbits the bad guys.  Likewise, I'm not going to add the ITEM_THIEF or BABY_SNATCHER tokens to anyone because I don't want there to be any guaranteed war relationships. 

Although I am thinking of writing mythological anthro races, like Dragons, Unicorns and Griffons, that would probably be unplayable, so I might give them the DARK_FORTRESS default site and see how it plays out. 

I'll consider monkeys.  Foxes, Rabbits, Ducks, Lizards, Pantherans and Horses are at the top of the list because they are the most common furries/cartoon animals, and Elephants and Ants are the top bonus races, because they would be weird and add unique ways to play.  I'm not sure what monkeys would add to the game, aside from an aesthetic difference.  But, I like monkeys too, especially the mythological monkeys Hanuman and Sun Wukong, and creatures with 4 hands, a prehensile tail, and pet gorillas could be interesting, though I'm not sure how DF would handle hand-feet and prehensile tails.  I also kinda like the idea of a highly sexually dimorphic race, which you see in baboons and a lot of other primates. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 11:27:39 am by AceSV »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 12:20:33 pm »

You have Pantherans, but can there be regular cat people as well? Needs Nekos.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 03:14:08 pm »

You have Pantherans, but can there be regular cat people as well? Needs Nekos.

My first impulse is no.  I don't want to limit the races to biology, I want to give each its own unique culture and play style with culturally specific industries.  Since Nekos and Pantherans would be almost identical biologically, I don't want to make two cultures for the same animal. 

However, because they are almost identical, it would be trivial to just change the name and size modifier and replace one of the other races as a culture.  I could also just change the name to something less specific and say that they are whichever one you want. 

Oh yeah, in other news, I've been thinking of what the cultures should be like and I found some human cultures that I'll pair up with each animal:

Vulps = Japanese  (katana, nunchucks, tofu, etc)
Lagomors = English  (long bow, bill, tea, etc)
Komodos = Egyptian/Arab  (Khopesh, Zulfiqar, etc)(they are lizards so they're going to be more based on biology than on copying human culture) 
Equids = Mongol (sabers, composite bows, cavalry stuff, etc)

I'm not sure what culture to make Pantherans and Anatons (Ducks).  Anatons might get generic sea-faring gear like tridents and cutlasses.  I'd like to do Indian and Chinese weapons too.  I don't think either of these are a great fit for Pantherans, but if I were going to do a Monkey race, I would probably give them Indian stuff out of respect for the Vanara, which would leave Chinese stuff for the Pantherans.  Or I could give Pantherans limited weapons and have them rely on teeth and claws and add a race of dragons or pandas to have Chinese stuff. 

I'm also going to toy with the idea of adding wolf-folk as a caste of the Vulps and crocodile folk as a caste of the Komodos. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 03:37:24 pm by AceSV »

King_of_Baboons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 04:07:23 pm »

I think you should give the pantherans a culture that relies more on the military side.Since they are composed by lions,panthers and tigers,pantherans should be natural hunters just like the real life big cats.Pandas should be more peaceful and more connected to nature alongside monkeys.I don't have an idea for the dragonic civ because I always think of dragons as wild and dangerous beasts that burn everything they see...but since there is a lot of dragons in Chinese culture I guess you could make pandas worship them like some sort of deity?And what about Elephiis?Maybe they could share Indian culture with the monkeys or something.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 04:36:23 pm »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 06:58:23 pm »

I like my future offspring scrambled with a side of bacon and toast.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6