Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Furry Fortress  (Read 26341 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: Furry Fortress
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 07:03:36 pm »

I like my future offspring scrambled with a side of bacon and toast.

At first I thought you were an Orca, but then I got the joke. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 09:14:01 pm »

And here's the part I actually like, graphics:

True 16x16 and then scaled x4 for visibility.

From Left to Right:
1: Default/Statue, 2: Peasant, Clothesless; 3: Peasant, Pants; 4: Peasant, robe; 5: Baby; 6: Child; 7: Drunk; 8: Ghost;

The final sprites will all have clothes of some sort, though I'm not sure what style I'll go for yet. 

While I'm at it, let's try Lagamors:

I kind of like the pants, but I think it makes it not look like a rabbit anymore. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 11:20:09 pm by AceSV »
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 02:14:15 am »

ptw
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

King_of_Baboons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 09:16:12 am »

Beautiful.I hope the sprites are going to be awesome when you finish them!
A medium-sized creature prone to madness and insanity.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 05:32:43 pm »

I noticed that you wanted your Komodos and Elephii to avoid wearing clothing. Unfortunately, not wearing a shirt/pants/shoes of some sort will cause negative thoughts in player civilizations, even if they don't have access to them. You'd have to add non-functional clothes like ankle bracelets, loincloths and such for them to wear or they'll break down within a year or so from the constant negative thoughts.
Dwarf-sized weapons are too small for [Elephii] (if that's possible)
That's not quite possible. What you can do, however, is give them their own weapons that can't be used by the smaller races. If these weapons are better than normal ones, there would be no reason for a player to use foreign low-quality weapons over their own.
It would be cool to make them pupate as Children, but I'm not sure that's doable.  They will probably just spring into adulthood after the larval stage. 
If possible, I would have [Formicine Workers] take care of babies instead of clinging to their mother, but i'm not sure how that would work with Egg-Layers to begin with.
Everything you describe here is pretty much impossible. You'll have to simply live without an egg-larvae-pupae cycle, as without some hack magic there's no way to alter creatures based on their age. There's also no way to alter the mother-child dynamic.
What would be interesting, however, is the ability to manipulate Formicine births in your favor. If every Formicine is born a drone, you could have a special workshop set up to convert drones into soldiers, breeders, and perhaps some other specialized castes. IIRC, ants can alter the caste of an ant by manipulating the environment while it's pupating, and this method would be a DF-friendly way to represent that.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 06:31:39 pm »

I noticed that you wanted your Komodos and Elephii to avoid wearing clothing. Unfortunately, not wearing a shirt/pants/shoes of some sort will cause negative thoughts in player civilizations, even if they don't have access to them. You'd have to add non-functional clothes like ankle bracelets, loincloths and such for them to wear or they'll break down within a year or so from the constant negative thoughts.

There's an entity token called CLOTHING, with the description "Civ members will attempt to wear clothing".  I was hoping to just turn that off for Komodos and Elephii.  If it doesn't work as intended, so be it. 

SPEAKING of entity tokens, I thought it was possible to individually define what livestock a civ can start with, as you can with weapons and workshops, but now that I'm looking at it, there is no such token.  I might be able to get an interesting result by giving all of the races USE_ANY_PET_RACE instead of COMMON_DOMESTIC etc. and see what the worldgen provides them with.  But I don't think this would ever allow me to specify that Komodos get reptilian livestock or Anatons get avian livestock. 

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 06:57:29 pm »

Doing that will just prevent them from having clothing made of above-ground materials. They will still get bad thoughts for not wearing clothes, even if the civilization has no access to clothing.

You cannot be very specific with animals, it is limited by the tokens you see on the entity token page of the wiki.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 07:13:13 pm »

I feel like having them use livestock related to them is a bit weird.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 09:35:33 pm »

I feel like having them use livestock related to them is a bit weird.

Well it turns out that's not going to happen anyways.  But to me, that would have added to the fantasy nature of the game, and will probably still at some point make specialized livestock-esque animals that inhabit each race's starting biome. 

For now, I started up two games as Vulps with the entity tokens to start in TAIGA and ANY_TEMPERATE_FOREST, MOUNTAIN, GLACIER, TUNDRA, ANY_TEMPERATE_RIVER as settlement biomes.  I let history run for about 100 years and they got a HUGE list of potential animals.  All of the bears and the majority of Australian animals were included both times.  The austrailian animals confound me. 

Doing that will just prevent them from having clothing made of above-ground materials. They will still get bad thoughts for not wearing clothes, even if the civilization has no access to clothing.

Again, if that's the case, so be it, I'll work something out, but if that's true then the wiki description of the token should say so.  Either way, I want to try that out myself and see what happens. 

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 11:46:17 pm »

Alright, so I'm trying to see what sort of animals show up based on the biomes I had in mind.  It looks like USE_ANY_PET_RACE basically gives you half of all the animals that exist in Dwarf Fortress no matter where you start.  That said, you don't really have enough points at embark to buy something like a breeding pair of alligators or a giant war bobcat, but I'm assuming you'll have them all brought to your door by caravans. 

What really bummed me out is that the worldgen effing hates deserts for some reason.  I want to make Komodos a desert race, but the worldgen just doesn't make deserts, and if you run it with EXCLUSIVE_START_BIOME:DESERT it will fail to create the playable race.  I wonder if this is some sort of bug, and I haven't updated revisions in a while... 

EDIT:  Doh!  it has to be EXCLUSIVE_START_BIOME:ANY_DESERT.  It works fine now. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 07:07:34 am by AceSV »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2015, 01:03:49 am »

Well it turns out that's not going to happen anyways.  But to me, that would have added to the fantasy nature of the game, and will probably still at some point make specialized livestock-esque animals that inhabit each race's starting biome. 

For now, I started up two games as Vulps with the entity tokens to start in TAIGA and ANY_TEMPERATE_FOREST, MOUNTAIN, GLACIER, TUNDRA, ANY_TEMPERATE_RIVER as settlement biomes.  I let history run for about 100 years and they got a HUGE list of potential animals.  All of the bears and the majority of Australian animals were included both times.  The austrailian animals confound me. 

Again, if that's the case, so be it, I'll work something out, but if that's true then the wiki description of the token should say so.  Either way, I want to try that out myself and see what happens.

Australia has plenty of temperate environments, and the animals are adapted to them, so they have temperate biome tokens in DF. DF doesn't place animals based on similar evolutionary histories, so you'll see kangaroos and emus hanging out with your ibexes and wolves.

I'd go with no-coverage clothing for races that you want to leave nude. Things like the ankle bracelets mentioned before. For my Paklara civ I'm using decorative necklaces on the upper body. The clothing can be given cultural significance beyond covering up instead, say, a family charm, waist sash, and ankle bracelets are just something a Elephii wouldn't be caught dead without in public.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2015, 02:48:49 pm »

Okay, other than graphics, the Vulps are finished.  You can download them from my new Google Docs folder:  https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5_Jm8L6GFwcfnRvc19IczQzb1lleVVVWENURlVlSFVxV1VQeGp6bFlWYXVuRC1jVC1LT2c&usp=sharing

Graphics soon.

Vulps start in Taiga biome and will have access to whatever animals live within their domain as livestock.  This means that they usually do not have access to any source of animal wool, unless you add shearable tokens to some likely local wildlife before playing.  Yaks, muskox and mountain goats are likely.  Maybe bears. 

Vulps have several cultural weapons based on samurai/ninja gear instead of the standard dwarven gear.  I have no idea what I'm doing, so hopefully they work out somewhat intuitively.  I have only tested staffs so far, so expect changes as I get around to the others. 

Staffs - A "training staff" is called a "traveling staff".  Unlike other training weapons, staffs are very large and very heavy, so the wooden version is not as useless, but still vastly outperformed by the metal version.  Arena testing suggests that a staff and no shield works better than a staff with a shield.  Staffs use the spear skill. 

Ninja Glove and Shuriken - Because of the way DF works, a ninja glove is basically a kind of "bow" and a shuriken is a kind of "arrow".  The ninja glove has a hopefully decent edged melee attack.  Attacking with the shurikens trains throwing, attacking with the glove trains GRASP_STRIKE, the skill for punching and scratching. 

Nunchaku - A wood (training) nunchaku is supposed to show up as a "nunchaku" while a metal nunchaku is supposed to be a "heavy (metal) nunchaku", but I'm not sure that's working right.  Nunchaku use the hammer skill. 

Kunai - A kunai is almost the same as a dagger, but with only a stab attack and no slash.  Kunai use the Mining skill, and thus you can use them instead of picks.  Realworld non-TV-magic-bullshit kunai were basically combat trowels, mostly for digging through fortifications, but capable of stabbing a watchguard if one showed up. 

Meteor Hammer - A heavy weight at the end of a metal chain.  It is not too different from the Flail, but uses the whip skill for some reason.  You might be saying, hey wait a minute! that's a chinese kung-fu weapon, not a japanese ninja weapon!  Well, yeah.  I wanted a kusarigama, but there's no good way to portray one, so I went for the kusarifundo half, which is basically the same as a chinese meteor hammer, and the meteor hammer is easier to read. 

Katana - Essentially a lighter long sword with a better slash attack and worse stab attack.  It will probably require 2 hands. 

Bokken - A wooden training katana. 

Glaive - A dwarf/vulp sized Halberd, meant to invoke the Naginata.  Smaller and weaker, uses the Pike skill.  Because there's no point in pike formations in DF yet, I'm going to interpret Pike skill as a Heavy Polearm skill instead. 

Longspear - A dwarf/vulp sized Pike, meant to invoke the Yari.  Smaller and weaker, uses the Pike skill. 

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 04:59:40 pm »

Not sure how to make Fur tissue
It's somewhat annoying. Look at dogs in creature_domestic.txt for an example. It's all this stuff:
Code: [Select]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:TAIL:HAIR]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:BLACK:1:BROWN:1:WHITE:1:GRAY:1:LIGHT_BROWN:1:DARK_BROWN:1:TAN:1:AUBURN:1:CHESTNUT:1:SLATE_GRAY:1:CREAM:1:CINNAMON:1:BUFF:1:BEIGE:1:CHOCOLATE:1:CHARCOAL:1:ASH_GRAY:1:RUSSET:1:IVORY:1:FLAX:1:PUMPKIN:1:GOLD:1:GOLDEN_YELLOW:1:GOLDENROD:1:COPPER:1:SAFFRON:1:AMBER:1:MAHOGANY:1:OCHRE:1:PALE_BROWN:1:RAW_UMBER:1:BURNT_SIENNA:1:BURNT_UMBER:1:SEPIA:1:DARK_TAN:1:PALE_CHESTNUT:1:DARK_CHESTNUT:1:TAUPE_PALE:1:TAUPE_DARK:1:TAUPE_SANDY:1:TAUPE_GRAY:1:TAUPE_MEDIUM:1:ECRU:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:tail:SINGULAR]
(If you meant renaming 'hair' to 'fur', I think you could do that the same way 'feet' can be renamed to 'paws.')

I don't know how to change the BP Appearance Modifiers.  It seems to be referencing variable names, and I couldn't figure out what the variables are referencing that I could change the strings.  I'd prefer to give them descriptions for their snouts, pointy ears, fur, and tails instead of the humanoid ones.
I don't think they can be modified. I've looked. Some of them are generic enough, like length, that they could be used.

I haven't tried this in quite a while, but also possible is hijacking the color system, in descriptor_color_standard.text. Rather than "[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:BLACK:1:BROWN1]" you could have something like "[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:NEARLY_BALD:1:SLIGHTLY_FUZZY:1:FLUFFY:5:EXTRA_FLUFFY:1]," which would give 5/8ths of them fluffy 'colored' tails.
You would then need to add something like this to descriptor_color_standard:
[COLOR:EXTRA_FLUFFY]
   [NAME:extra fluffy]
   [WORD:EXTRA_FLUFFY]
   [RGB:0:128:128]
I don't know what WORD is, and I don't think RGB much matters.
I think you could add that to the skin layer instead of hair, but I don't remember.

Add [BODYGLOSS:PAW] after the body type if you want to change any references of feet to paws. You can add more to body_default, to make snouts.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2015, 07:52:50 pm »

Having a lot of trouble generating a world. Even after giving Vulps more freedom to spawn (a start biome of ANY_FOREST), I'm going through hundreds of rejects because the game can't place them. Has anyone had any luck generating a playable world?

[NAME:traveling staff:traveling staffs]
Should be travelling staff, two 'l's.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 08:04:20 pm »

Perhaps give them plains and forests?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6