Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Furry Fortress  (Read 26313 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Furry Fortress
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2015, 02:37:33 pm »

I believe there used to be a time where elves would refuse both animal and wood products. Either way, it is possible to get a civilization to refuse to trade in animal products, according to the wiki.

Quote from: Ethics page
KILL_ANIMAL    A response between MISGUIDED and UNTHINKABLE (see below) causes the entity to refuse animal products in trade — namely, materials with [IMPLIES_ANIMAL_KILL].

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2015, 12:59:13 am »

Komodos are up.  They are kinda finicky at the moment.  As carnivores, they do not have access to any crops at embark, and like BlackFlyme pointed out, omitting the [CLOTHING] token does not disable the bad thoughts from going naked.  When I planned this, I was thinking that I could assign them some wool-bearing animals, but this is not automatic when they have [USE_ANY_PET_RACE].  So at the moment, the only reliable source of clothing is leather.  Although leather is harder to produce, it's advisable to focus on meat industry with Komodos in the first place because they are carnivorous.  I think rather than try to repair Komodos themselves, I will try to add some custom shearable creatures that live in Komodo friendly biomes. 

Komodo native weapons include:

Khopesh - It is based on the Battle Axe and uses the Axe skill.  Only difference is that it comes with a stab attack.

Hatchet - Same as the Vulps'. 

Shamshir - Similar to the Katana and Longsword

Fan Axe - An axe with the blade turned 90 degrees to face forward for thrusting attacks.  I haven't tried them in combat yet, but they have the contact area of an axe and the penetration of a spear, so I expect good things.  (come to think of it, that's probably not how it should work)  Uses the Pike skill.  (to recap, Ace is using Pike for all large/heavy/exotic polearms) 

Atlatl/Javelins - A launcher for javelins.  Javelins are huge with spear-like attack characteristics.  The atlatl (launcher) itself is tiny and will probably get you killed if you try to use it melee.  I might change that so that the atlatl functions like a spear in melee, since realistically you'd use the javelin for close combat rather than the tiny launcher, but that would feel like cheating. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2015, 02:36:20 am »

Although leather is harder to produce

If you use the More Leather Mod (included in Modest Mod) leather becomes much easier and realistic to produce as the yield from an animal increases with its size. In vanilla a kitten would yield as much leather as an elephant.

You could have the komodos wear only leather and list Modest Mod as recomended. Otherwise, leather is very easy to obtain from caravans.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2015, 09:41:36 am »

Although leather is harder to produce

If you use the More Leather Mod (included in Modest Mod) leather becomes much easier and realistic to produce as the yield from an animal increases with its size. In vanilla a kitten would yield as much leather as an elephant.

You could have the komodos wear only leather and list Modest Mod as recomended. Otherwise, leather is very easy to obtain from caravans.

Because eggs are an important food source for carnivores, I think a carefully orchestrated eggsplosion will fix the problem.  Usually with dwarves I'm all about the textile industry and big exotic animal ranching, so I wasn't prepared for the different lifestyle. 

I was also expecting Komodos to be better at combat than Vulps and Lagomers since they have higher strength and toughness (like dwarves, Komodos have low agility but high strength and toughness) but they seem to be pretty fragile.  I might play with the relative size tokens and see if that does anything. 

EDIT:  So I threw in: 
Code: [Select]
[RELSIZE:BY_CATEGORY:TAIL:300]
[RELSIZE:BY_CATEGORY:CLAW:300]
[RELSIZE:BY_CATEGORY:TEETH:300]
And I have no idea if that's correct. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:52:25 am by AceSV »
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2015, 10:48:36 am »

That makes each tooth, hand and the tail have the same volume as the head... Not sure how that's supposed to look, especially with the teeth.

There is better ways to balance their combat strength actually: For unarmed combat you can increase the velocity of their creature attacks, armed combat is strongly influenced by size and strength/agility/toughness attributes. For armed, unarmored combat agility will be a lot more important than strength, seeing as damaging fleshy creatures with a weapon doesn't require all that much strength in the first place, true for real life too by the way!

The easiest way to buff them would be increasing the size, as this factors into just about every part of combat (armor/tissue thickness, attack momentum, charge knock-overs, etc). Alternately you can leave out the agility de-buff or play around with other attributes like broadness (harder to know over) or willpower (less easily give into pain) or even material strengths (might not make sense).
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2015, 12:10:53 pm »

Ah, okay.  Thanks.  I replaced the previous with [RELSIZE:BY_CATEGORY:TAIL:1800] which should make their tails a little less than the size of their upper and lower body combined and adult Komodos grow to 65000 or halfway between dwarves (and vulps and lagomers) and humans.  They also get [NATURAL_SKILL:SNEAK:4] which should help with hunting. 

Also, Equids will be ready shortly. I don't want to bother with a half-assed aversion to meat like the Lagomers have again, so they are just normal civilized omnivores at the moment.  Equids should have lousy skills in mining which is to encourage you to live above ground and try to play a little differently.  Equid native weapons include:

Szabla - A saber, similar to Katana/Shamshir/Longsword.
Koncerz - A larger version of the Tuck. 
Nadziak - A combined pick and warhammer, but cannot be used for mining. 
Lance - A spear-like weapon. 
Composite Bow - Same size as normal bow but twice the material size for 1.5x shooting power.  Uses normal arrows. 

The Szabla, Koncerz and Lance are designed for one-handed use, so you can either equip them one-handed or not at all. 

I have no idea if the Centaur body plan will work as I expect it to.  For one thing, I don't know if a body size of 70000 would mean a normal human sized torso with the extra horse parts at the same relative size, or if the total volume of the centaur will be 70000 and the torso will be smaller in comparison.  Arrrrrgh. 

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2015, 02:12:32 pm »

On creature size, it's the second one. the size value represents total volume, so a centaur of human volume with normal human and horse proportions would be really quite tiny; you're talking a malnourished foal with an equally malnourished human toddler glued to its severed neck. I would go with the horse bodysize, even increase it slightly (A human torso is going to be more voluminous than a horses' head and neck.)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2015, 02:18:18 pm »

Creature size is always size, multiplied by height and broadness. A 70000 size centaur would be a more of a pony with a tiny human torso.

If you want the accurate measurement, subtract the relative size of a horse head and neck, multiply by horse size. Do the same with a human torso +arms and head, add the two.

Or you know, just take the size of a horse and add a guesstimate. Beware that horses are huge though, and things like weapon momentum don't care how big the actual arms wielding them are.

EDIT: beaten to it! Oh well still posting.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2015, 09:19:11 pm »

Okay then.  In the past, I've calculated that an ideally proportioned centaur should be a little more than double the mass of a human, with the lower torso and hind legs close to the same size as the upper torso, forelegs, head and arms.  So that puts the Equid adult size at 150000.  This doesn't seem to give them an overwhelming combat advantage in the arena, although koncerzes might. 

Now I'm not sure if their hooves are working.  I tried to copy the hoof from the horse to the centaur.  They don't seem to ever list hoof in their body parts, they wear shoes and socks, which they might have to anyways, and they never use their horse kick attacks. 

also the error log is telling me that Komodos don't have scales, I don't know how to fix that. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:21:20 pm by AceSV »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2015, 10:09:27 pm »

E: Looked at the equids. They have the body plan HAND_FOOT_CENTAUR_NECK

That body plan has normal feet instead of hooves. You could use a body gloss to rename them and specify that the hoof tissue be added to the feet, or you could create your own body plan and adjust it to match what you would like.

The reason that the hoof attacks don't work is because they technically don't have hooves. If you changed the HOOF_REAR and HOOF_FRONT to FOOT_REAR and FOOT_FRONT, then they would work. But it may be better to create a new body plan that is similar, but renames hooves to feet and changes [CATEGORY:FOOT_REAR] and [CATEGORY:FOOT_FRONT] to [CATEGORY:HOOF_REAR] and [CATEGORY:HOOF_FRONT]
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 02:29:26 am by BlackFlyme »

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2015, 05:16:04 pm »

I got hooves to work.  Look for body_plan_centaur_hoof and the amended creature_equid from the share folder.  https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5_Jm8L6GFwcfnRvc19IczQzb1lleVVVWENURlVlSFVxV1VQeGp6bFlWYXVuRC1jVC1LT2c&usp=sharing

If you haven't noticed, the basic sprites for Vulps, Lagomers, Komodos, Equids, Anatos, Pantherans, Elephuds and Formicines are in there too.  I'm probably not going to make something as elaborate as phoebus' dwarf sprites, but I'll try to make it easy for someone else to add onto it. 

Anatos (Ducks) will be available soon, but they're not ready yet, so if you see anato files, they might be buggy or incomplete. 

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2015, 10:29:53 pm »

Anatos are up.  Disappointingly, the AI will not path through water, rendering their ability to swim useless to the casual fortress builder. 

Anato native weapons are the Cutlass(sword), Trident(spear) and Harpoon Gun(throw).  The idea is that the Anato harpoon gun is powered by a mechanism akin to a crossbow's, not with gunpowder.  Harpoons are copied from Komodo javelins. 

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2015, 07:07:05 am »

Just to make sure you know, if you make a weapons skill THROW your adventurer can not spawn with it. To fix this just set the weapon skill to blowgun and give the entity this tag, [PROFESSION_NAME:MASTER_BLOWGUNMAN:Elite harpooner:Elite harpooners] and this tag [PROFESSION_NAME:BLOWGUNMAN:harpooner:harpooners]. That is of course assuming that your civ does not use blowguns if they do you can change BLOWGUNMAN and MASTER_BLOWGUNMAN to any other weapon skill. You can do the same with the komodo spear.

20firebird

• Bay Watcher
  • how did i get here
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2015, 08:53:04 pm »

Oooh, cool!
By the way, you forgot to give equids a unique description and child names of lagomer.

After a bit of testing, it seems I am incapable of spawning vulps in the arena. Sifted through the raws but I can't figure out why.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 09:30:30 pm by 20firebird »
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2015, 11:59:58 pm »

Oooh, cool!
By the way, you forgot to give equids a unique description and child names of lagomer.

After a bit of testing, it seems I am incapable of spawning vulps in the arena. Sifted through the raws but I can't figure out why.

Female vulps are "vixen", male vulps are "reynard", so you have to type in one or the other instead of "vulp".  I fixed the lagomer children and equid description. 

As you may have noticed, I've kinda lost interest in expanding Furry Fortress, but I do enjoy playing as furries instead of vanilla dwarves, so I wouldn't call it a lost cause yet. 

The Anatos are very disappointing.  They really go squish at the slightest trouble.  Compared to the toothy defense of a vulp or komodo, the agility of a lagomer or equid, or even the sturdiness of a dwarf, the duck-people don't have anything going for them biologically.  They can supposedly swim, but that's really difficult to exploit.  Not sure if I need to rebalance them or if the answer is to just to play differently.  After all, that's the point of Furry Fortress, to make the different races feel different. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6