Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Furry Fortress  (Read 26327 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Furry Fortress
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2015, 02:38:38 am »

Give them fuckloads of babies?

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2015, 09:17:49 am »

Give them fuckloads of babies?

Well they lay clutch sizes of 3-6, so supposedly that's already in there, but I have yet to see either of the egg-laying civs actually hatch an egg. 

In the meantime, I remembered that birds have naturally high endurance thanks to their advanced breathing route, so I've added that in and we'll see how it goes.  I also gave high recuperation for a little extra balance nudge. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Weirdoinacup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2015, 09:04:57 am »

This thread and the files you've shown have really given me some major insight on what's needed to make my own race of lynx dudes... you know what? I think that's what I'm going to call them. Lynx dudes... and make them a buddy called the otter guys who're gonna be nudist maritime surfer guys.

Speaking of that... is there some way to add drugs to the game? Just asking. :p

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2015, 11:50:06 am »

This thread and the files you've shown have really given me some major insight on what's needed to make my own race of lynx dudes... you know what? I think that's what I'm going to call them. Lynx dudes... and make them a buddy called the otter guys who're gonna be nudist maritime surfer guys.

Speaking of that... is there some way to add drugs to the game? Just asking. :p

Unfortunately, I tried to make the lizards nudist and the game isn't equipped to handle that.  Any playable/civilized culture will complain about being naked and snatch up any socks they can find. 

Drugs would probably be kind of like syndromes, but I don't think there's an easy way to make a substance that gives dwarves a happy feeling. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Weirdoinacup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2015, 01:10:27 pm »

Unfortunately, I tried to make the lizards nudist and the game isn't equipped to handle that.  Any playable/civilized culture will complain about being naked and snatch up any socks they can find. 

Drugs would probably be kind of like syndromes, but I don't think there's an easy way to make a substance that gives dwarves a happy feeling.

If all they grab are socks, then I don't think it's that bad. Maybe make them something minimal like thongs and sandals or something. I'm sure I can find something. If only I wasn't so big on studies right now...

Weirdoinacup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2015, 02:05:37 pm »

Just popping here to say I've made my first mod: The cat men. So far I'm not sure what to think. I haven't fully tested them, but my only issue so far is that the graphics for them make them look like zombie dwarfs. I need to draw make the graphics for them to make them catty like. :p

Any info you got on where to put the graphics and how to link them? I know it might not be the right thread, so I'll have to repost this elsewhere...

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2015, 03:14:22 pm »

There is a tilesets and graphics subforum, but that is more for releases.

Do you mean where to put graphics in the Dwarf Fortress folder, or where to upload pictures to share?

If it is just to share a picture, you just need to upload it online somewhere, then link the image's url. It can be linked as an image using the image tags, which look like this:
Code: [Select]
[img]www.imagesite.com[/img]
Graphics in the DF folder go in the raw/graphics folder. It is a bit more complicated than normal modding, and looking at preexisting examples from other modders may help you understand how it works.

Both the image and the text file that defines graphics go in this folder. You can create subfolders, if you want. Like other raws, you will need to give the file a proper header, though you will also have to define the image to use.
graphics_x

[OBJECT:GRAPHICS]

[TILE_PAGE:x]                        < This is the ID of the tile page
[FILE:folder/image.png]      < This is the image used, just enter the image's name and file type. If it is in a folder, enter the folder's name first, then a slash.
[TILE_DIM:18:18]             < This is the pixel dimension of the tiles that make up the page
[PAGE_DIM:6:10]              < This is how many tiles make up the page, both horizontally and vertically

Weirdoinacup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2015, 05:44:12 pm »

There is a tilesets and graphics subforum, but that is more for releases.

Do you mean where to put graphics in the Dwarf Fortress folder, or where to upload pictures to share?

If it is just to share a picture, you just need to upload it online somewhere, then link the image's url. It can be linked as an image using the image tags, which look like this:
[img]www.imagesite.com[/img]
Graphics in the DF folder go in the raw/graphics folder. It is a bit more complicated than normal modding, and looking at preexisting examples from other modders may help you understand how it works.

Both the image and the text file that defines graphics go in this folder. You can create subfolders, if you want. Like other raws, you will need to give the file a proper header, though you will also have to define the image to use.
graphics_x

[OBJECT:GRAPHICS]

[TILE_PAGE:x]                        < This is the ID of the tile page
[FILE:folder/image.png]      < This is the image used, just enter the image's name and file type. If it is in a folder, enter the folder's name first, then a slash.
[TILE_DIM:18:18]             < This is the pixel dimension of the tiles that make up the page
[PAGE_DIM:6:10]              < This is how many tiles make up the page, both horizontally and vertically

It was both. Thanks for the answer. I'm currently using the sprites in the spacefox pack (the DF starter pack has it) so I'm thinking of making sprites that match it, at least somewhat.

Thanks. :)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2015, 07:52:45 am »

Alright, I've now got Leokin ready.  Previously known an Pantherans, I decided to make them based on a specific big cat instead of all big cats.  They are basically mammalian Komodos, many of the same adaptations for a carnivorous lifestyle.  Like Equids, they take a penalty to mining skill.  Their weapons are based on African weapons, the iklwa, a short spear, the knobkerrie, a light mace, and the hungamunga, an axe with stabbing capability.  Real hungamungas are meant to be thrown, but making a custom launcher for it would have been weird.  (though I may try it someday)  Their size, teeth and claws are probably just as effective.  The Leokins' little twist is that males are different from females.  Females are 9000cm3 and get natural hunting skill, while males are 12000cm3 and get natural melee fighting skill.  Females are more common than males, so the males have higher love and lust propensity to keep them from forgetting to breed. 

If you've been poking around the download folder recently, you may have noticed the Ratuls.  They are a joke race based on honey badgers, aka ratels.  They have extreme toughness and disease resistance and various personality and beliefs set to make them not care about anything.  They have a stinky breath attack that is supposed to happen when the are running away, but apparently that token didn't work so they use it continually, which I find hilarious so I allowed it.  It doesn't affect other Ratuls, but any pets you have will be constantly dizzy and nauseous.  They actually didn't work the way I wanted them to and I didn't try to fix it because they're just a joke race.  They use the same weapons as Leokin. 

The files:  https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5_Jm8L6GFwcfnRvc19IczQzb1lleVVVWENURlVlSFVxV1VQeGp6bFlWYXVuRC1jVC1LT2c&usp=sharing

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2015, 09:35:13 am »

Not so fond of furries, though i am very fond of honey badgers and a honey badger man civilization would be hilarious.

Do they still have prone to rage ?

Also komodo men = yes. it gives a certain Warhammer Lizardfolk feel.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:38:37 am by Naryar »

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2015, 11:00:26 am »

Not so fond of furries, though i am very fond of honey badgers and a honey badger man civilization would be hilarious.

Do they still have prone to rage ?

Also komodo men = yes. it gives a certain Warhammer Lizardfolk feel.

Yes, I think [PRONE_TO_RAGE:25], but I've seen them do it often. 

I actually have some reservations about furries myself, I'm just using the name because it's familiar to people.  To me, Tolkenian Fantasy is not the default fantasy, fantasy should be full of barbarians and sorcerers and animal people.  I like furries when they wake up that corner of fantasy, and that's what I'm trying to make with these guys.  Though, that's not to say they can't be adorabamfs while we're at it. 

Elarys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2015, 11:46:11 pm »

This looks quite interesting. I wonder, can I add all these races to my world at the same time?

But then how to pick which one would be my playable fortress...

And then I need to figure out how to integrate with Ironhand graphics.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2015, 07:06:58 pm »

Yes, you can use them all at once.

When you are selecting your embark location, the first race listed will be yours. If it's not the one you want, tab through to the list of entities and change it, then check the list again. Repeat until you find the one you are looking for.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2015, 10:00:37 am »

If you want to play as a specific race though, it helps to make the other races unplayable, otherwise they might not be generated. 

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2015, 08:26:00 am »

A playable prone-to-rage race could be fun. No more civilians that run away.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6