Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM  (Read 8253 times)

HellHound01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM
« on: February 16, 2015, 09:05:16 pm »

Anyone interested in a Play by Email roleplay EotFS game?

We would be using the realism, and the emperor wars mods. Link to the free game, and the mods is here...

https://sites.google.com/site/emperorwarsfadingsuns/home/emperor-of-the-fading-suns-emperor-wars---reality-mod---downlao

We would also be using the Nova House Rules. Located here...

http://website.lineone.net/~rwein/nova/houserules.htm

In addition to these basic house rules (in order to avoid exploits), we would also be dropping the maintenance cost of Conscript Levies from 15 a turn to 5 a turn.

Detailed knowledge of the background lore is not required. Playing as a vindictive space noble is.

We have room for four players plus myself, anyone interested?

Here is a pretty good intro I stole from some other guys thread on the net...

4956 AD

Centuries of scheming, assassinations and open warfare have now passed since the mysterious death of Emperor Vladimir. Five noble houses have emerged dominant, all fuelled by the ambition to claim for themselves the Imperial Throne.

Mother Church, meanwhile, tightens its loving grip on the common folk, preaching against the evils of technology, long-since having purged most worlds from mass-media and consumerism in favour of a sound and proper agrarian lifestyle. Its inquisitors roam the Known Worlds, and given the steady increase of Church troops, some believe the Patriarch may even consider establishing a theocratic world government of his own, to replace the crumbling Empire.

As a counter-weight, the depraved guilds of the Merchant League grow richer day by day, busily engaging in technological heresies, consorting with think machines, and, worst of all, harbouring among themselves twisted dreams of restoring the Libruhal Republic of old.

Each noble house holds five sceptres, symbols of Imperial authority, which allow them to vote for the appointment of the Imperial Regent. Associated as it is with managing what semblance of government there is left, not to mention, dividing control of the powerful Imperial Ministries among the noble houses, the position of Regent is no doubt greatly desired by all.

War appears inevitable, and will only end once a noble house has gathered enough support to not only control the Regency, but through it, make a successful bid for the Imperial Throne, all whilst maintaining political control on Byzantium Secundus, assuming, of course, that the League or indeed the Church do not conquer the Known Worlds themselves.

Open Houses include the Hazat, Decados, Hawkwood, and Al-Malik. I would play as House Li Halan (don't really have a choice, I have to play as them to set the PBEM up, unless we end up with less then 5 total players, then I could make them AI and drop to the next house on the list, Hazat).

So any interest?

EDIT: Darn, wrong forum. I'll pm a mod to get this move to the "play with your buddies" subsection.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 09:08:02 pm by HellHound01 »

bluth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 09:18:11 am »

Whao, I was trying to do exactly the same thing with a french forum but it would be easier here.

I'm in !

Here is a bunch of interesting article about the game if you don't know it :

http://www.matchstickeyes.com/2011/07/31/a-game-that-could-have-been-emperor-of-the-fading-suns/

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2013/10/17/azhanti-high-lightning-starships-platforms/#more-26954

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 10:37:33 am »

I have not heard of this game before, but I'm totally in.  This is exactly the sort of conniving interplanetary backstabbery I can enjoy.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 02:48:11 pm »

Whao, I was trying to do exactly the same thing with a french forum but it would be easier here.

I'm in !

Here is a bunch of interesting article about the game if you don't know it :

http://www.matchstickeyes.com/2011/07/31/a-game-that-could-have-been-emperor-of-the-fading-suns/

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2013/10/17/azhanti-high-lightning-starships-platforms/#more-26954

Damn you to Hades....for a minute there, I thought someone had made an EotFS mod to turn it into Traveller. And I nearly squee'd myself silly.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 06:57:51 pm »

ok, no idea how to play. Is that a hinderance to joining?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 07:22:46 pm »

Yes. It won't stop you, but it is definitely a hindrance.

I've wanted to do this for years, and I kinda regretted not getting in on the last game here. I don't like a lot of what realism does, and I've never managed to get deep into a test game without it crashing on me, but... why not. Paint me yellow and call me Al-Malik.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 08:23:01 pm »

I for one would love to play a super-noob game like this.  No experienced players :P  Fumbling over the crown awkwardly.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 08:32:34 pm »

I for one would love to play a super-noob game like this.  No experienced players :P  Fumbling over the crown awkwardly.
I'd join that. jsut.. Don't let me host, my noob game of dom4 only jsut started

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 10:15:04 pm »

I wish you all the best of luck. Getting five people together who will reliably pass a turn around seems to be a pretty big obstacle.   :'(
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

HellHound01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 10:26:40 pm »

Alright, we have a full 5 players (including myself). So what I'll need now is what House everyone wants, and the settings they would like to have. My personal preference is Rebellion and Plague on, with Universal Warehouse off.

I'll also need everyone to PM me an email address. I would suggest making a new one specifically for this game, I'll be sending everyone the one I'm using via PM as well.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 10:40:26 pm »

That'd explain the pm then. I abstain from all setting choices as a noob. I'ma go mske sure i can run the game (as in, set it up like said in first post) then i'll get back to you with an email

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 11:06:17 pm »

I don't know the rules or the houses, so I'll leave that decision to greater players, though I want to play as whatever most resembles paladins and/or 40K Inquisition.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 11:08:19 pm »

You want House Hazat then.

Again, I want Al-Malik.

And I'm fine with the rules suggested.

HellHound01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 11:15:39 pm »

I don't know the rules or the houses, so I'll leave that decision to greater players, though I want to play as whatever most resembles paladins and/or 40K Inquisition.

House Hazat is the most military oriented House, and has probably the best army starting out. This is countered balanced by them having little room to expand being squished between other players and powerful NPC factions.

Li Halan is actually the most "religious" of the Houses and has a close relationship with the church. It even fields some special troops that normally would only be used by the Church. Unfortunately I have to take them in order to set up the game. Frankly I'd much rather play as Hawkwood or Hazat, but unless someone is willing to switch with me on the second turn there isn't anything I can do about it.

Also I think we can all agree to run a fair game and not resort to cheating right? Which means we don't have to password protect turns, the reason I don't wand to do that is because if someone drops off the face of the Earth and doesn't give us the password then the game is basically over.

HellHound01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 12:16:54 am »

Alright to clarify the House Rules,

1. You can not change Unit pay.
2. House traits must be kept as they are.
3. No attacking the Imperial Eye until at least two turns after they have been taken by a new minister.
4. You may not reload the saved game file, and begin your turn again, just because you don't like the way your turn is going. Nor may you play a turn repeatedly in order to explore more territory.
5. No selling ministry resources. Otherwise, a minister can sell resources belonging to his ministry, adding the money to his house coffers. It is OK for your house units/cities to consume ministry resources.
6. You may not deliberately leave your ministry cities, resources or spaceships undefended and open to capture by an ally, or by your own forces once your term of office is over. This is a devious way of transferring ministry property to the control of your house.
7. You must leave an open route to each of your labs. Surrounding a lab with cities or units, or putting it on a single-hex island, means that the Church's Inquisitors will not attack it if you research a proscribed technology. Taking advantage of this fact would make the Church's proscriptions irrelevant.
8. You may not deliberately starve your cities in order to start a plague, aiming to infect other players' cities and units too. This is a sneaky trick which undermines the value of plague bombs.
9. You may not start building a unit with the specific intention of cancelling the build. This is a sneaky way to transfer resources from one location to another, since the resources used to build the unit reappear in the building city, and are not returned to their original location.
10. No selling maps to the Vau. Selling maps to the Vau is money for nothing. It has no cost associated with it. Therefore it's just pointless mouse clicking.
11. The Regent may not declare himself Emperor in an election year. If he does so, the usual 10 turn delay before he becomes Emperor is not enforced.
12. A noble may not vote unless he has been on the surface of Byzantium continuously since the previous election. He is banned from voting even if he took off and landed again in the same turn. If a noble is allowed to stay in orbit or jump around the surface of Byzantium, it's too easy for him to avoid assassins. You can consider this rule to be a statute of the Imperial constitution.
13. You must lower the cost of Conscript Levies from 15 to 5 a turn.

As you can see with a couple exceptions, most of these rules are pretty standard.
Pages: [1] 2 3